• CrossFit Travel WODs for Cruises

April 26, 2012

A bunch of you guys asked if I exercised on the cruise last week—and you bet I did! I {heart} exercise! And running! And iced coffee!

IMG_3332 (563x750) (2)

There was a jogging track on the cruise ship, so I did a couple of 3-mile runs (27 laps) during the week.

There was also a gym on board, but it wasn’t all that great (Mal and I also really missed CrossFit), so we made up a few WODs to do on the deck near the track.

Except for the last WOD listed below (which calls for a jump rope), these workouts don’t require any equipment and can pretty much be done anywhere. Mal and I just found some space near the track and busted out the exercises.

“Marathon Monday”

• Run 2 laps
    • 20 Push-Ups
    • 20 Sit-Ups
    • Run 1 lap
    • 10 Push-Ups
    • 10 Sit-Ups

Mal brought his jump rope on the trip, so instead of running 5 laps for the “Day at Sea” workout, he did 50 Double Unders and instead of running 4 laps, he did 40 Double Unders, etc. We only had one jump rope, so I ran while he jumped rope.

“Hooray for Honduras”

• 10 Handstand Push-Ups
    • 20 Hand-Release Push-Ups
    • 30 Jump Squats
    • 40 Hollow Rocks
    • 50 Burpees
    • 60 Mountain Climbers
    • 70 Air Squats
    • 80 Walking Lunges
    • 90 Double Unders (or 180 Singles)

I spent the morning developing a new recipe for Lipman Produce. They sent me a complimentary case of their tomatoes to experiment with. (Full disclosure: They’re also compensating me for my participation.)

Mom, that’s a whole heck of a lot of tomatoes. What in the world are you going to do with them? I mean, I don’t even like tomatoes, so I can’t help you eat them. Maybe Dad will eat some?

As you can see from my panicked pug face, I’m very concerned about the number of tomatoes in this house right now.

Mid-morning, I snacked/taste-tested my creation and holy yum! I can’t wait to share this recipe with you guys. I’ll be on the Lipman Produce website soon.

FMG_7563 (750x494)

For lunch, I whipped up a “garbage salad” with random goodies from the refrigerator: greens, leftover pasta with kale and walnut pesto, roasted tomatoes, carrots, celery, green bell pepper, balsamic vinegar, and truffle oil.

A little while later, I made a smoothie with frozen mango, frozen strawberries, almond milk, and vanilla protein powder.

Pug walk and then CrossFit!

P.S. My “Will Run for Iced Coffee” tank is available in my CNC Spreadshirt shop. It’s a racerback performance top made from bamboo, cotton, and spandex. It’s sweeeeeet! There’s one that says “Will Run for Beer” too!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 26, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Love your creative WODs on your trip! :)

Cait's Plate April 26, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Gah that pizza looks awesome! As does that pasta.

I’ve always exercised on the cruises I’ve went on…once you get used to running while the boat is going, nothing can stop you! :) The big swells almost feel like running on a roller coaster. Haha

And I absolutely ADORE your “Will Run for Iced Coffee” shirt – I’m going to check it out now!

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! April 26, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I love how you have workouts you can do anywhere! I have a “Will Run For Beer” t-shirt :)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 26, 2012 at 2:50 pm

It’s a really weird feeling to be running on a track on a cruise ship when you are out at sea. Especially if you are running in the opposite direction of the ship! I didn’t know if I was coming or going!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio April 26, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I adore Murphy. That is one concerned pug! Great job on your workouts while cruising!

JB April 26, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Just FYI, your single unders should be 4 to 1 if you are unable to do double unders. So really instead of 90 DU’s, 360 single unders should be done. Doubling the 90 to 180 is EASY.

Tina April 26, 2012 at 3:08 pm

We only double them at our box.

Michelle (Peachy Palate) April 26, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Love the idea of calling it a “garbage” salad! I have many of them! Smoothie looks awesome as always. I’d definitely workout when I’m away, I’d miss it too much otherwise!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 26, 2012 at 3:06 pm

oh my gosh, that salad looks AMAZING!!!! I love roasted tomatoes!

Megan @ The I-Do Diaries April 26, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Wow, you are far better than I at sticking to a workout regimen while on vacation. My husband and I took a cruise in March and didn’t do a lick of exercise on the ship :-/ Definitely got right back into when we got home though!

That smoothie looks delicious. I haven’t had one in forever since I usually don’t care for the texture, but mango + strawberries + almond milk sound delish!

Carrie April 26, 2012 at 3:57 pm

I love no equipment bodyweight workouts – thanks for posting these!

Brita April 26, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Just ordered the “Will Run for Beer” shirt for the Harpoon 5-Miler :) I haven’t been very good about training, so hopefully this shirt will give me a leg up… or at least other runners a laugh as they pass me!

Tina April 26, 2012 at 4:03 pm

So fun!!! :)

Charissa April 26, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Go Tina! Woot for working out when you’re on vactaion…so many people use it as an excuse for not exercising!

Brandi April 26, 2012 at 4:30 pm

These WOD’s look great! Seriously going to try that smoothie :)

Brittany April 26, 2012 at 4:42 pm

im just curious… what shoes do you have on in the first picture???

p.s. your dog is cute!

Tina April 26, 2012 at 6:27 pm

New Balance 10s!

Annette@FitnessPerks April 26, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Those WODs look awesome! I love working out on vacations too-not because I feel like I have to, but because it gives the day a good start. They’re usually shorter sessions anyways–but I love those endorphins in any form :)

Maura @ My Healthy 'Ohana April 26, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Murphy really does look quite concerned :) That smoothie looks great, I have everything but the protein powder, may try it this afternoon for a snack!

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy April 26, 2012 at 5:56 pm

OMG – the look on Murhpy’s face is hilarious. And those are some awesome crossfit workouts you guys did. Love how body weight exercises can be done anywhere easily.

Kat @ Balancing Kat April 26, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I don’t have a vacation planned until August (to Disneyland) but I’m already concerned about missing CrossFit the week I’m there! I like how you and Mal come up with your own WODs. We’ll definitely have some Disney inspired WODs while we’re away. :)

That tomato pizza-ish item looks delicious. Can’t wait for the recipe!

Tricia April 26, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Dude, you seriously look awesome!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats April 26, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Can’t wait to hear about that recipe.. it looks delicious!

Amelia @ Eating Made Easy April 26, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I’ve never thought of tomatoes as art but your pizza makes them look beautiful!

p.s. can you feel the boat move on a big cruise boat like that? i get so seasick I’ve avoided cruises but it would be fun to give it a try sometime!

Tina April 26, 2012 at 6:49 pm

If there are rough seas, you can definitely feel the ship move. I took Bonine everyday and didn’t have any issues, and I usually get motion sickness pretty bad.

Heather April 26, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Such a cute pug face! And the WODs look great. As does the pizza!

Ashley April 26, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I’m going to try those workouts! I don’t actually do crossfit but I love going online and finding WODs that I can try at home without equipment and stuff. Thanks!

Amy @Health Hungry April 26, 2012 at 7:25 pm

You are solid muscle!(Strong is the new skinny…) Those workouts actually sound kind of fun – the creative names get me every time! I am curious, why do you love iced coffee(I do too) so much – even when it’s cold outside? The only problem with it is that I tend to suck it down in like… 2 minutes.

Tina April 26, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Yep! I drink iced coffee year round! :)

Alaina April 26, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Maybe I should start saving up and actually get a membership to Crossfit because you look amazing Tina!! And I really want that tank top. :-)

Erin @ MyLemonTwist April 26, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I’m looking into getting the perfect protein powder for my boyfriend. Does Mal use the same powder as you?

Tina April 26, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Yep! He uses more of it than I do!

Serena April 26, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I love your shorts are they new balance?

Tina April 26, 2012 at 9:22 pm

Thanks! Yep, they are! :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 26, 2012 at 9:50 pm

LOVE that tank top. Hmmm…it might be in my future! 😉

And that pizza and pasta are making my mouth water. That might be a sign to go make some dinner.

Khushboo April 26, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Love the WODs, thanks for sharing!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 26, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Looks like a lot fun!!! What a great cruise, you deserved it!

Hilary April 26, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Mmmmm…I love roasted tomatoes. And there’s something really empowering about mcgivering your own workouts while on vacation. Last year in Vegas, you had to pay to use the gym at the hotel we were at (not cool), so I made an epic workout with intervals of stair running and body weight exercises in our room…it rocked!

Jacki April 27, 2012 at 1:24 am

You guys are animals! I love that you work out together….makes me a little jealous!

Bjorg April 27, 2012 at 2:31 am

I live that shirt!
    I definitely run for ice coffee too 😉

mary @ minutespermile April 27, 2012 at 6:04 am

Thanks for the workouts! For those without access to a gym, it’s perfect!

Doreen April 27, 2012 at 8:43 am

So cute! Murphy should be the official dog of Lipman.

Lindsay April 27, 2012 at 9:33 am

I love that you kept up your fitness whilst on vacation!! We do the same, although I really do need to start trying some of your WODs, because it is TIME for a workout reboost~ thanks for the ideas!

Heather April 27, 2012 at 10:21 am

Oh my! “Will Run For Iced Coffee”….Gonna have to buy one of those. So perfect! =)

Tina April 27, 2012 at 10:25 am

It’s a great quality shirt too! I love it!

Jessica April 27, 2012 at 2:00 pm

If you just add an egg to that smoothie, it would be a pancake according to you, right? That’s a great pancake recipe you have.

Luv What You Do April 29, 2012 at 11:08 am

I love exercising on the cruise. Running laps around the boat in a new port every day. I liked to use the golf course for my strength stuff and planks and maybe a little yoga.

Ashley April 30, 2012 at 6:17 am

Just curious…what does your Starbucks iced coffee consist of? Like how do you order it? I’m always baffled by the options they have not to mention I have no clue what is in the regular menu items. Thanks!

Tina April 30, 2012 at 6:19 am

I just order iced coffee with soy milk at Starbucks.

Kris April 30, 2012 at 11:17 pm

We cruise every year and always pick our ship by the gym quality. For us that has meant Princess which has really well-equipped gyms. On cruise I usually work out twice a day so I can fit in a little dessert.

barbara May 15, 2012 at 11:57 am

UM wow..Been a few months since I read your blog. Are you leaning out or what?! Wow. Great job!..

Teresa January 28, 2013 at 9:44 am

For the smoothie, how much of everything did you use?