• Pug Peanut Butter Time

April 5, 2012

I welcomed hemp milk back into my diet this morning. I love it—it’s so tasty and nutritious—but, man, it’s expensive. Whole Foods had a coupon for it last week, so I splurged a bought a carton of it.

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was “Oatmeal” Minus the Oats made with hemp milk instead of almond milk. There wasn’t much of a flavor difference because the banana typically dominates, but it did taste a tad more “nutty” than usual.

I added an extra scoop of Teddie Peanut Butter to my breakfast this morning.

After breakfast, Murphy enjoyed licking my nearly empty peanut butter jar. He gets really excited when I eat my breakfast out of a jar. (Please listen for his weird/excited chirping noises in the video. I have no idea what it’s about.)

Lunch

I had some crazy cravings around lunch time today. First, I wanted something cheesy to eat and then I wanted something juicy like ripe tomatoes. The end result was a can of tuna mixed with grape tomatoes, green bell pepper, crumbled blue cheese, and truffle oil. It was totally random, but very tasty.

A little while later, I wanted something carb-y and sweet, so I toasted up a waffle and added some sunflower butter and butterscotch chips to it. It was a perfect treat.

I’m eating an early dinner tonight, so I’m not sure if there will be an afternoon snack on the agenda. If so, it’ll definitely be a smoothie. I have a serious craving for one right now.

P.S. You still have time to enter my giveaway to win a pair of ellasport New Power Capris! I’m picking a winner tomorrow morning!

Corrie Anne April 5, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I love it when Boyd hovers over me whenever I have peanut butter out. Seriously dogs and and pb jars are the CUTEST thing. I look forward to watching him go nuts over it!! Murph is just so adorable. I have to remember to try the oatmeal minus oats one of these days!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio April 5, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Murphy is so cute!! Have a wonderful afternoon!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 5, 2012 at 12:54 pm

that waffle looks so good! and now I’m thinking about using the can of tuna that’s sitting in my cabinet… that tuna salad looks good.

Meg April 5, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Ahh he is SO CUTE!!!!

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop April 5, 2012 at 12:57 pm

That might be the cutest video ever! Love it! My cat freaks out over tuna water, its the only time I ever hear her meow at me!
    ~Ang

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 5, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I’ve tried hemp milk and I didn’t really like it very much. I really like flax milk (as an alternative to almond milk) and I’m still on the lookout for SOL!

Tina April 5, 2012 at 1:14 pm

@Lindsay @ Running the Windy City: I’ve had trouble finding SOL too! Wah. I think some Whole Foods sell it.

Taylor @ Nuts for Apples April 5, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Murphy is so cute! And listens so well! Adorable.

Meg April 5, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Hey can you blame Murphy! Who doesn’t love Teddy’s Peanut Butter…that stuff is totally addicting! You actually turned me onto it and there has been no going back ever since :)

Tina April 5, 2012 at 1:14 pm

@Meg: It’s seriously the best peanut butter out there! :)

Cate April 5, 2012 at 10:10 pm

@Tina: I picked up some Teddy today which caused me to wonder – Do they sell the giant tubs of it anymore? My mom used to buy it and I don’t see it at the grocery store these days.

Cate April 5, 2012 at 10:14 pm

@Cate: Yikes – I just found the nutrition info for the tubs of Teddie and it has corn syrup! I’ll stick with the jars and no sugar added version! Bummer because I remember always having the tub in my pantry as a kid.

Tina April 5, 2012 at 10:18 pm

They do, but they’re kind of tough to find at grocery stores.

Khushboo April 5, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Yummy dessert!

Shreya April 5, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I can’t believe Murphy actually listens to all the commands. he didn’t move from ‘stay’ till you said ‘OK’. That’s incredible. i wonder how many grown adults can even handle that let alone a dog.

Tina April 5, 2012 at 1:35 pm

@Shreya: Haha! He’d sit there all day waiting if he had to! He’s really good with commands, except for when other dogs/people are around and then he “forgets” how to listen.

Shreya April 5, 2012 at 1:37 pm

@Tina:
    Which doesn’t seem grossly wrong. Again how many adults can handle that. hahaha

lindsay April 5, 2012 at 1:36 pm

That video is hysterical!!

eliza April 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Yum I wanted to try your Oatmeal minus the oats but was out of cinnamon and milk. Definitely tomorrow. You think skim milk would work??

Tina April 5, 2012 at 2:19 pm

@eliza: I’ve never tried skim milk, but it couldn’t hurt to try! :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 5, 2012 at 1:59 pm

i need to try that butterscotch chip-peanut butter on toast snack you’ve been having lately… it sounds so good!

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! April 5, 2012 at 2:13 pm

The video is hilarious! Love it. And the waffle with sunflower butter and butterscotch chips looks like the perfect afternoon sweet treat!

Erin April 5, 2012 at 2:18 pm

OMG my puggies aren’t that disciplined!!! But they make those same funny noises and lick that crazy boys when they hear/want their favorite foods!!!

Erin April 5, 2012 at 2:18 pm

@Erin: *like crazy boys

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables April 5, 2012 at 2:23 pm

hahah adorable video!

Carrie April 5, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I need to try this sunflower butter. It’s on a lot of blogs these days and it sounds/looks fantastic!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon April 5, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I’ve always wanted to try hemp milk but never have because, as you say, it’s quite expensive!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 5, 2012 at 3:04 pm

My Cooper goes crazy for Peanut Butter! If you pick up his jar of PB he starts making whistling whining sounds. Then if you actually carry it to the counter he starts drooling excessively!

Cait's Plate April 5, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I got on a waffle + peanut butter + chocolate chips snack kick for a really long time and have since kind of forgotten about it. It’s definitely time to bring it back! I bet waffle + pumpkin butter + white chocolate chips would be a really good combo as well!

Emily N April 5, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Just watched your Murphy video with one of my pups (Zues) in my lap. He was LOSING IT! He loves TV when he sees a dog on it, so this was kind of similar. We didn;t even have sound on the first time and he STILL loved it. Then we watched again with sound to see a change in reaction.

Renee April 5, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Loved the video of Murphy! He is so well trained ;)
    By the way, I had to put butterscotch chips on my grocery list thanks to you!

Michelle (Peachy Palate) April 5, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Seriously your sweet snack is giving me cravings I can’t satisfy…is there such a thing as vegan butternut scotch chips!? I may have to do some googling!Random cravings are made to be satisfied! :)

Kat @ Balancing Kat April 5, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Yum! You always make me crave butterscotch chips. I need to buy some ASAP. I’m also in the mood for a smoothie. I was planning on making a green smoothie later – I need more greens in my diet today.

Mandy April 5, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Tina there are few things on earth that make me as happy as Murphy. And I’ve never even met him.

Felicity April 5, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Oh my gosh, MURPHY! He’s so adorable!

Elizabeth April 5, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Yum! I had tuna for lunch as well!! I love just adding what sounds good to tuna!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 5, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Loved the pug video! And then after the pug video was over, I saw you had a video where you interviewed Richard Blais! So cool! I can’t wait to check out his burger restaurant, now that we live in the Atlanta area. :)

Erika@YouJustDidWhat April 5, 2012 at 3:33 pm

That’s it…getting a dog!

Heather April 5, 2012 at 3:51 pm

bahaha he cracks me up. we make our dogs sit and lay down and stay too before we give them a treat!

Emily April 5, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Tina, thanks for infusing my afternoon with some happy puppy video! Murphy’s adorable, and SO well trained! My dog requires much more guidance with “down” and would never leave an empty jar like that. How’d you get him to be so obedient?

Amanda @Dogs, Chocolate and Fruits & Veggies April 5, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I really wish that Whole Foods would carry a 365 brand of Hemp milk. Like you I love it, but it ain’t cheap!

Corrie @ Blurb Column April 5, 2012 at 4:19 pm

HA! That video of Murphy is hilarious…his little tongue licking before he even gets into the jar.

Rita April 5, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I seriously love that dog! I think I bought my pug partly because of how cute Murphy is. Mylo (my pug) loves peanut butter. It’s how I get him to take pills when needed. If only I could get him to stay as long as Murphy does.

Danielle April 5, 2012 at 4:41 pm

You should make your own hemp milk! Much cheaper. Hemp seeds aren’t expensive at all.

Coco April 5, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Haha.. Murphy is so cute! My dogs do the same thing- they are always following their stomachs!

Katelin @ HealthyFatKid April 5, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Bah! Your dog is too cute! I loved the attack on the jar!

michelle kim April 5, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Super cute video!! :) Makes me smile

Meghan April 5, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Very cute video! Your love for pugs is evident, hope you love this video…http://vimeo.com/39808960

jessica April 5, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I love the video, my pug Beatrice does that with yogurt containers! I was wondering where the park was you always bring Murphy to?? I am always hesitant to let my dog run off leash at some of the dog parks in Boston and i am looking for someplace to let her run free and not worry about traffic near by? Thanks!

Alyssa (factsandflax) April 5, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Mmm butterscotch chips :)

Deb @ wiseupslimdown April 5, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Adorable video. Sienna will do the same thing for sunflower butter or a treat. Without the treat…forget it!

Does hemp milk have a strong taste?

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 5, 2012 at 8:43 pm

How cute is Murphy! lol! Your mean for teasing him! Ok, it’s official, I need to buy waffles!!!

Jenny April 5, 2012 at 9:21 pm

OMG that video just made my day. I love how well he listens to commands too! What a great dog!! Makes me miss mine while I am here in Korea…the reunion after 3 months is going to be insane!

Laura April 5, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I buy my hemp seeds from Manitoba Harvest through amazon and get the 5lb tub. I find them to be kind of expensive in smaller quantities. The only downside is that you have to keep them in the fridge. This is all leading up to the idea of making your own hemp milk which is super simple to do. Just add 1c of shelled seeds to 3 to 5c of water in a blender depending upon how thick you’d like it. It is the one “milk” that I prefer lightly sweetened as I find the taste a bit strong. Dates or agave or something similar can be used to sweeten it. As an aside I love your blog!

Sue Kauffman April 6, 2012 at 9:14 am

It’s nice to see there is someone else out there who eats like I do. I’m always concocting some kind of healthy breakfast, snack or lunch. I get some strange looks at the lunchroom at school. I won’t touch our school lunch though, gross.