• Pent-Up Pug Energy & a Colitis Update

April 10, 2012

Hello!

We’ve been having issues with our internet lately and it crapped out again this afternoon, so instead of getting frustrated and waiting for it to come back up, I used the “downtime” to take Murphy to the dog park. He was also sort of driving me crazy, so I figured letting him get out some of his pent-up pug energy would benefit us both.

IMG_2979

The second I let Murphy off the leash at the dog park, he went running like a maniac, and he didn’t stop moving the entire time we were there.

2012-04-10_1424

Murphy is now chilling on the couch, so I’d say our trip was a successful one. He’s pooped.

FYI: For those of you who asked, we take Murphy to Bare Cove Park in Hingham.

[Rewind to this morning]

Breakfast

I attempted a new protein pancake for breakfast this morning, but it sort of bombed, so I’m going to try it again tomorrow. Hopefully, it’ll turn out better so I can share the recipe with you guys. I think it’s going to be a good one!

Lunch

For lunch, I had eggs (2 eggs + 2 egg whites) with salsa and black beans scrambled in.

On the side: red grapes.

Before heading to the park with Murphy, I whipped up a smoothie to take with me for the ride in the car to the park. In the mix: frozen banana, canned pumpkin, sunflower butter, vanilla protein powder, and almond milk. It was quite delicious.

2012-04-10_1412

A Quick Update on that Colitis Thing

After breakfast this morning, I had a follow-up appointment with my GI doctor. We talked about the results of my biopsy, which, at the time, showed “active colitis.” My doctor also said we’re most likely dealing with Ulcerative Colitis, so he’s keeping me on a drug treatment for the next several months to control the symptoms of the disease. He did, however, put me on a Prednisone weaning schedule, so I’ll be off steroids in six weeks, which I am very happy about.

As far as how I’m feeling, things are pretty much back to normal. I’m eating and exercising like I normally do, my energy has returned, and I’m trying to sleep more and better manage my stress levels. At this point, I’m taking things one day at a time, and I’m just glad that I feel well enough to do everything that I want to do, including cruising next week. Vacation countdown: 4 days!

Annette@FitnessPerks April 10, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Oh boy do I understand lame Internet issues!!! Way to go by putting that energy to the outdoors and Murphy :)

Love the idea of eggs and black beans. YUMM!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 10, 2012 at 3:05 pm

That lunch looks delicious! Now I want some grapes… And I’m glad you and Murphy had a good time at the park!

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City April 10, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I’m glad to hear that you’re feeling better and can enjoy your cruise next week :)

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! April 10, 2012 at 3:12 pm

That’s great – glad your latest medical update is a pretty positive one! Woohoo for vaca coming so soon! :)

Peggi Konvicka April 10, 2012 at 3:15 pm

I am so happy to hear that you are feeling better. I hope you enjoy your cruise next week!!! Your food always looks so darn delicious. I really need to try your egg mix – yum!!! Do you eat enough? Your portions always look so small – i.e. the quesadilla – you only had 1 tortilla – gosh I would need more than that! Also, I REALLY have to try your toast with PB and butterscotch chips – holy yum, it looks delicious – have you ever had it with pnut butter chips or white choc chips? Just curious….

Tina April 10, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Haha! Yes, I eat enough. Most days, I eat 2,000+ calories.

I’ve tried both peanut butter chips and white chocolate chips, and I love them both! :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 10, 2012 at 3:20 pm

looks like it was a beautiful day!! the weather is gorgeous here too, and i definitely took advantage of it by taking our pups on a nice walk too. glad your colitis has toned down and you’re feeling a lot better!

mary @ minutespermile April 10, 2012 at 3:27 pm

glad the colitis issue is tamed for the time being! sometimes i wish i could go do sprints in the park during the day, being pent up in an office! jealous of the pug’s life. though then again i don’t have to chase chicken pieces around the house so maybe i’ve got it made.

Michelle M. April 10, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Just a heads up on coming off the Prednisone! IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL LIKE YOU’VE BEEN HIT BY A TRAIN. Think really hard workout sore x12. It’s ruff stuff! and I’m not really sure what /if there is anything you can do to make it better. I take it for my asthma from time to time and it always kills me coming off of it. Plus I eat soooo much when taking it.

Tina April 11, 2012 at 3:01 pm

@Michelle M.: Ugh, really? Even with a slow wean off of them?

Christine April 11, 2012 at 7:40 pm

@Tina: @Tina: I came off going down by 5mg every two weeks (started at 40) and it wasn’t too bad :)
    I ended up flaring once I got down to 5mg even though I had been on imuran for a few months though and I stayed at 5mg until I could start humira injections. I think expectations have a lot to do with the “weaning” experience. I hadn’t heard that it was supposed to be awful, so it didn’t seem that bad. Good luck!

Ella April 10, 2012 at 3:28 pm

oh Tina I’m so sorry that you have to be on prednisone for so long! I was on it for almost a year for sinus issues and you should know – steroid withdrawal is almost as bad as being on them. I had some really rough days when I was weaning :(

I wonder if your digestive issues could be yeast/Candida related?? has your doctor mentioned it at all? either way, I hope you feel better and that the prednisone doesn’t give you any trouble!

Rita April 10, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Ugh! I was on Steroids (big amounts) for a year for an auto-immune disorder that I have. It was that or go blind. Obviously, I chose the meds. It didn’t make it any easier. Glad you are doing better and get to begin weaning.

Sam April 10, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Could you provide a link to Bare Cove Park? The link you provided seems dead as it just links back to your site. I’m wondering if it’s anywhere near the World’s End park in Hingham I keep hearing great things about?

Tina April 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm

@Sam: I believe World’s End and Bear Cove are different parks. I’ve been meaning to check out World’s End, but I still haven’t ventured over to that part of Hingham yet.

laine April 11, 2012 at 5:53 pm

@Tina: World’s End is awesome! I love it out there. Sam, Bare Cove is by the Train Station in Hingham, World’s End is on the road out towards Hull. It’s a Trustees of Reservations property so I think it’s $5 to get in if you aren’t a member. http://www.thetrustees.org/places-to-visit/greater-boston/worlds-end.html It’s 2 drumlins that go out into Hingham Harbor, and there are some lovely deer there, gorgeous views of Boston and a great place to kayak.

Tina April 11, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Cool! Thank you!

Laura @ My Pink Thumb April 10, 2012 at 4:03 pm

SO so glad to hear that you get to start weaning off of the prednisone. I was on it several times last year for chronic hives. It’s nasty stuff.

katie @ KatieDid April 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm

glad you’re feeling better! and I didn’t know you were going on a cruise- wooo you must be absolutely psyched right now!

Michelle (Peachy Palate) April 10, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Good to hear your doing well on the colitis front. Nothing worse than tummy problems, them just affect our sense of being. I should probably know but where are you off to on vacation? (Oh btw the way that smoothie sounds fantastic!)

Alex April 10, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I love when you post about Bare cove park. My home is Hingham so whenever I am home from college my dog and I always hit it up. That is where she grew up walking because she has so much energy and that place is great for letting her run her heart out. Spring break in six days and I know the first place I am going, Bare Cove Park!

Glad to hear you are feeling better. I understand stomach issues all too well!

Cait's Plate April 10, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Glad to hear things are going okay with the colitis! Can’t wait for the perfected protein pancake recipe…I love all your pancake recipes so I bet this one will be great as well :)

Laura April 10, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Your diet is so wonderful already, but I wanted to bring to your attention the animals and byproducts aspect of it. You might be interested in what The China Study has to offer on autoimmune diseases and their treatment/prevention with whole plants. My husband had Crohn’s disease (a member of the colitis family) and he was able to completely reverse it with just the information in the book. Point is, there’s no need for you to even have colitis. xox

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie April 10, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I love the sound of the smoothie! Glad to hear your back on track after the colitis flare :)

Serena April 10, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Glad you are feeling better!

kalee @ SoreyFitness April 10, 2012 at 4:40 pm

My mom suffered from Ulcerative Colitis in her twenties, but she is “cured” now. She had a surgery to correct hers after being on predizone and everything else for a while (she had a bad case). Just know it is temporary, and I’m so glad you are feeling better!!!

Laura @ She Eats Well April 10, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Glad you are feeling better. It’s hard to be patient and I think you have been so patient with your body! Also, I must say, sunflower butter in smoothies is amazing…I think it’s my favorite nut/seed butter to incorporate. Makes them extra delicious for some reason!

Tina April 11, 2012 at 3:04 pm

@Laura @ She Eats Well: TOTALLY agree about the sunflower butter! I think I might actually like it more than peanut butter in my smoothies! :)

Kindal April 10, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I tried a new pancake recipe myself the other day and it bombed… I thought it would be cool to try and mix in powdered super greens. Turns out it wasn’t cool at all. Tasted a bit like dirt and looked a bit on the unappetizing side!

Glad your colitis is doing better! on the up and up!

Carrie April 10, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Looks like such a great day! I’m glad you have your colitis diagnosed and can start working on getting better!

Sherry April 10, 2012 at 5:56 pm

So glad you are feeling back to normal! I’m excited that you get a vacation, it’s well deserved!

Laura @ A Healthy Jalapeño April 10, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Just another reason I love your blog so much… you have a PUG!!! My little girl is 5 yrs old names Callie and she is my absolute cuddle buddy. Looks like your cutie had a grew time at the park!

Tina April 11, 2012 at 3:04 pm
    Miranda @ Working Mom Works Out April 10, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Love taking our dogs out like that! That always look so satisfied after :)

Also, thanks for posting/talking about your pancake failure. I always wonder if food bloggers always have perfect creations. You rock!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio April 10, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I’m glad you’re doing ok! 4 days till vacation, woo hoo!!!

Shana April 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm

So glad to hear you are feeling better!

Jackie April 10, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Im sorry about the ulcerative colitis thing. I’ve been in remission for 3 years now, after a full year that was really bad. Lialda has helped me quite a bit. I refused steroids, just hoping the other meds would help. They did, just really slowly. Best of luck to you! Hang in there!

Molly April 10, 2012 at 7:07 pm

random question, is that a pug on the jar your smoothie is in?

Tina April 10, 2012 at 7:30 pm

It’s not a pug, but it’s some sort of dog! :)

Megan @ Weddings and Workouts April 10, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Glad to hear you are feeling better. Chronic illnesses suck!

It cracks me up when dogs have those crazy bursts of energy. My dog back home used to go hooning up and down the (wooden floored) hallway in some sort of crazed frenzy. I especially loved when he would do a skid to turn around :-D

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) April 10, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Your breakfast looks great! Eggs are the most filling breakfast for me. Glad you are feeling better!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 10, 2012 at 8:13 pm

Glad you’re doing well. I hope you have a blast on your cruise … enjoy every moment! :)

Dudette April 10, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I just had grapes…but now I want more. Such a beautiful picture!

Jan April 10, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Hi! I just got your book from the library and I am very much enjoying it. I was happy to find your blog, and so sorry to read you’ve been experiencing flare ups of colitis. As someone who experiences flare ups of an autoimmune disease, I know it is very frustrating, especially when you are searching for answers. I have met others with colitis and crohn’s disease who swear by The Specific Carbohydrate Diet by Elaine Gottschall. Maybe this has already been suggested, maybe you’ve checked it out, but I just couldn’t help writing just in case it may prove helpful…if not for you perhaps for a reader. All the best and I’ll be thinking positive thoughts for your health and happiness.

Tina April 11, 2012 at 3:05 pm

@Jan: I actually bought that book not too long ago. It’s been really helpful so far! Thanks for the recommendation and kind words! :)

Hilary April 10, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Glad to hear you’re feeling better! :)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 10, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I hear you on lame internet issues today. I was trying to write a rough draft for an article and the server kept going down. Grrr! I gave up and went outside to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air. Much better!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon April 10, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Your dog park is GORGEOUS!! And glad to hear you’re feeling better.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 10, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Crazy how dogs get pent up energy! Mine do that to and drive me bonkers! I love when there pooped and than all they do is sleep. It’s so peaceful!!

lisa @ early morning run April 10, 2012 at 9:44 pm

He definitely looks like one happy pug, but that park looks amazing, so how could he not!?

Glad you’re feeling good and are on a path to get off steroids. They are not fun. Have a great time on vacation!!

Sue Kauffman April 10, 2012 at 10:18 pm

My niece has ulcerative colitis. All her flare-ups have been in the Spring. The initial problem and diagnosis were in the Spring too. Hmmm.

Laura April 10, 2012 at 11:53 pm

Thank you so much for your blog!! I love it for so many reasons, and I’m so grateful to have found someone else suffering with ulcerative colitis.. I have been having “issues” for a few years now, but they finally diagnosed it and now I’m trying to figure out how to adjust my lifestyle and diet.. I’ve been a extremely healthy eater, and I love raw veggies. Have you found those to be a trigger for you? What are you safe/trigger foods and what kind of exercise do you try to do to keep the stress away(ie no flare ups) without aggravating the condition??

Tina April 11, 2012 at 3:10 pm

@Laura: Ulcerative Colitis is an autoimmune disease, so it’s not triggered by specific foods. However, if I’m having a flare, I eat a pretty bland diet to help minimize my symptoms– lots of banans, rice, and chicken. When I’m well though, I pretty much eat whatever I want (including raw veggies) in moderation. As far as exercise, I run 2-3 days a week and do CrossFit 2-3 days. Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Khushboo Thadani April 11, 2012 at 1:59 am

Today was a pancake kinda morning for me too….need to start making them more- love hot breakfasts!

Kayla April 11, 2012 at 6:49 am

i was looking through your protein pancake recipe, the 3-ingredient one, and i tried making it a few days ago and it came out WAY too eggy (it just tasted like eggs and you couldn’t taste the apple or anything else and the texture was very eggy too). I was wondering if you had any tricks to making this recipe taste delicious, as I’m sure it does when you make it.

I can’t have grains right now due to dietary restrictions and was looking for a protein pancake recipe that doesn’t have any grains, flours or nuts in them.. I am craving pancakes so bad and am in need of recipe! :)

Tina April 11, 2012 at 6:54 am

Bummer. What about using a smaller egg or eliminating the yolk all together? I didn’t taste egg at all when I made them.

Julia April 11, 2012 at 6:54 am

I was given a probably diagnosis of UC as well. I was hospitalized when I was ten and on prednisone for nearly a year. I am fortunate in that I haven’t had serious flares since then, but I get minor ones form time to time.

How does it affect your runnning? Maybe I should email ya : )

Tina April 11, 2012 at 6:59 am

Thankfully, it doesn’t affect my running– unless, of course, I’m experiencing a flare, but then I don’t exercise at all. Feel free to drop me an email if you have more questions! :)

Amy April 11, 2012 at 7:08 am

Tina, quick word of advice: since you will still be on prednisone on the trip take advantage of all the handiwipes. Your immunity will be lowered and cruise ships are notorious for breeding germs. Try to keep you hands clean–mini-hand sanitizer anyone? And stay illness free! My hubby who was on prednisone at the time got horrible sickon a cruise and ended up with a
    PICC line when we got home! Also if you do feel sick visit the ship board doctor. My hubby was too stubborn and what could have been a minor thing had become major by the time we got home. Most important: Have fun!

Tina April 11, 2012 at 7:24 am

Thanks for the tip! :)

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com April 11, 2012 at 7:58 am

i am glad to hear you are feeling better, but sad that you have to deal with being sick! i hope you feel better and have a WONDEFUL time on vacation!!!

Beka April 11, 2012 at 8:52 am

Congrats on a good GI checkup. Chron’s and GI issues are rampant in my family (myself included) and I agree with some of the other comments posted. Prednisone makes me feel like wonderwoman when I first start, but then when the course is done I crash pretty hard.
    Enjoy your cruise vacation! I can’t wait for mine, 17 days!

Tina April 11, 2012 at 3:11 pm

@Beka: Fun! Which cruise are you going on?

Beka April 11, 2012 at 3:28 pm

@Tina:
    Carnival Legend from Tampa 7 days to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Grand Cayman. There will be tons of pics and blog posts to follow! :)

Tina April 11, 2012 at 3:32 pm

We’re departing from Miami, but we’re going to the same places!

Karie April 11, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Did you ever tell us what your symptoms were leading up to your diagnosis of colitis? I’m curious! Thanks!

Tina April 11, 2012 at 12:42 pm

They were pretty gross, so I never went into detail on the blog, but if you Google “colitis symptoms,” you can read what it’s all about. It’s not fun!