• Paleo: The Good, the Bad, the Ugly

April 19, 2012

My name is Camilla and I follow a Paleo diet. Paleo is, simply put, lots of naturally sourced meat, fruits, veggies, fats (including natural sources of saturated fat), nuts and seeds. It excludes all grains, legumes (including peanuts and soy), most dairy, and processed food. Finding new and creative ways to cook Paleo-friendly food has become the purpose behind my blog (TGIPaleo.com), where I hope to provide a little culinary inspiration for both the hard-core Paleo-ites and folks who are just looking for a good meal.

I think Paleo gets a bad rap when people try to explain it as just “another diet,” because it’s so much more than that—it’s a lifestyle. Virtually every aspect of modern life has been touched upon in some way by the “Paleo” or “Ancestral Health” movements and there is more curiosity (and skepticism) about it than ever before. Obviously I wouldn’t be making the effort to live this way and destroying my kitchen on a daily basis to create new recipes for my readers if I didn’t think it was worth it.

gift wrapped chicken (300x225)photo (1) (545x408)

What I’d like to do is just tell you a little bit about what it’s done for me—why I drank the Paleo Kool-Aid and how it’s been working out so far. Disclaimer: it’s not all sunshine and rainbows.

I was first introduced to Paleo almost three years ago when I was stationed at Fort Hood and first met a good friend while she midway through a Paleo challenge for her Crossfit gym here in Austin. The seed had been planted, and a few months later my boyfriend suggested we try a 30-day Paleo challenge to see what all the fuss was about. Worst case, I’d just lose a month without some of my favorite food, right? The results were amazing…so much so that I really started questioning everything I thought I knew about food and decided to learn as much as I could.

While Paleo has changed my life in so many ways for the better, it’s been extremely challenging at times, too, and I feel like a lot of the “hard-core” Paleo resources out there aren’t always so up front about it. The “just do it” mentality only takes you so far when you’re choosing a lifestyle that flies in the face of nearly every piece of conventional dietary wisdom around.

For one, Paleo is based on a lot of science and can be complicated to explain. I’m not going to try and get into all the gory scientific mechanisms behind it here, either (there are a ton of super-smart people out there who can do that better than I ever could…just Google it), because I’ve had to learn the hard way that the best solution is to just keep your mouth shut sometimes. If my body composition, clear skin, and increased performance don’t speak for themselves (despite eating huge amounts of…gasp!…red meat and zero “healthy whole grains”) and give some reassurance that what I’m doing is working, then nothing will.

Another point is that it’s not always convenient. Eating out is an adventure in menu-reading and harassing the waitress (“No, really…do NOT put croutons on my salad!!!”). I pack my breakfast and lunch to take to work EVERY DAY. Holidays with family can be rough when you have to insist that no, you don’t want a plate full of noodles or bread or cookies. While I was on a year-long deployment to Iraq in 2010, I managed to avoid wheat and gluten (in most Paleo circles, gluten is the Antichrist) but clearly didn’t have access to the fresh produce and grass-fed meat that sustain me at home.

Finally, the Paleo diet is made up of some relatively simple concepts, but for most people it’s just an intense lifestyle change, plain and simple. If you already have an unhealthy relationship with food you’ll want to be especially careful. I have a very “colorful” history with eating disorders and poor body image. In college, my only purpose in life was to stay skinny, so even though I was running 25-50 miles a week and eating food I thought was healthy (albeit not very much of it), my life was consumed by anxiety and hyper-awareness of my diet and activity level. When I started eating Paleo I managed to undo a lot of physical damage left from poor nutritional habits, but my state of mind was just as messed up. I started getting paranoid and anxious that my food was “contaminated” with “bad stuff”—in a world of processed and packaged food there’s soy, gluten, and milk derivatives lurking everywhere…not to mention all the wacky color and preservative agents that go into anything as soon as it leaves the farm. One time I flipped sh*t at my fiancé after I caught him putting Worcestershire sauce (it’s got soy in it) in a meatloaf. Having worked so hard to make the transition, I was convinced that even a speck of the stuff would undo everything and I’d be weak, pimply, pale, skinny-fat, and miserable for the rest of my life. Even though I looked and felt better than I ever had in my life, I was also freaking out about the weight I’d gained (12 lbs) and having to buy new pants to accommodate my now muscular legs and perky butt.

Before:

Before-Way Skinny (160x455)

After:

12 Pounds Heavier (245x497)

No matter what you choose to eat or not eat, you’re human and you’re not going to be perfect all the time. I’ve slowly become more accepting and appreciative of my body and what it can do, especially when it’s fueled with high-quality food. I don’t have to weigh and measure anything I put into my mouth anymore…I don’t let myself count calories or grams of fat because it doesn’t matter if your food is straight from the source. If I just calm down and listen to my body, I can give it what it needs—after this much time eating the way I do, it really just comes naturally.

I’ll admit to anyone that adopting a Paleo diet wasn’t easy—in fact, it was downright tragic to give up some of the food I loved (bread!! CAKE!!!!). All I can say is that I honestly believe it’s worth a try for anyone…the standard pitch is to give it a month and see how it goes, see how you look and feel. Sure, you’re in for a bumpy ride at first but there’s a ton of resources available (**insert shameless pitch for my blog HERE**), especially as Paleo is gaining in popularity. Like I said, worst case scenario is that you just lose 30 days of eating grains, legumes, and dairy…I used to think I couldn’t live without them, either. My trip down the rabbit-hole started with a “what-the hell” attempt to try something “crazy” for a month, too, and I’ve never looked back.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 19, 2012 at 7:45 am

I definitely think eating a paleo-type diet is a great idea, especially if you’re more into weight lifting, but I am running my first marathon in October and I wonder if cutting out all grains would be a bad idea? I already eat gluten and soy free because I’m intolerant to both, but I eat other grains and legumes.

Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe April 19, 2012 at 7:45 am

Great post – my brother has seen great success with the Paleo lifestyle, and my parents are incorporating some of the principles of the change within their diets as well… I think people need to get educated before diving into this though, it’s so easy to say “no grains” and follow that, but dangerously so!

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming April 19, 2012 at 7:52 am

Thank you for sharing your journey and experience with the Paleo diet. I see a lot of my FB friends mentioning it and it’s popular in the blogging world. I don’t know if I could adopt it 100% but it’s definitely something I want to read more about :)

Sneakers2Sandals April 19, 2012 at 7:55 am

Thanks for the post :) I’ve been reading ‘the paleo solution’ and I am in the thick of all the ‘sciencey’ stuff now. It’s a lot to digest! I am definitely considering doing a 30 day challenge. And I agree – its not the day to day life at home I’m worried about. It’s going home to my parents house where my mom has made me my ‘favorite’ meal and telling her I can’t have pasta anymore. It’s also the dang bread baskets at restaurants that my friends would judge me for not touching..anyways thanks for the inspirational post :)

Blog is the New Black April 19, 2012 at 7:58 am

Great guest post!

Michelle@PeachyPalate April 19, 2012 at 8:08 am

Great post, very insightful. I’ve recently gone vegan and given up wheat and gluten and feel a zillion times better. Anything is possible when you put your mind to it. I’m trying not to be too strict as I have also a disordered past. I didn’t know much about the Paleo way of life as you rightly call it as opposed to a diet but I’m going to do a bit more reading. I’ll be visiting your blog for sure!

KerriAnn April 19, 2012 at 8:09 am

I totally agree with the whole not counting calories or fat if your getting good quality whole foods, those numbers shouldn’t matter! Very well said! And I love your blog! Been there a number of times!

Emily @ The Finicky Farmer April 19, 2012 at 8:17 am

I’ve been going mainly-Paleo (I also adhere to Weston Price’s rules for nutrition) for the past couple of months. That said, I just baked a small loaf of sourdough ;)

Nevertheless, I’m pretty amazed at the results. More stable emotions (thanks to the lack of sugar) and consistent energy for working and workouts. Also. Holy crap, muscles! While I recognize that the “Paleo diet” is highly controversial, it is the one mode of eating that has enabled me to feel strong and kick sugar to the curb.

Many thanks for an article that was frank, engaging, and not-too preachy!

alexbettina October 12, 2013 at 5:16 am

Hi
    I started the Paleo diet (even though I still eat a couple of things as comfort food, like yogurt and dark chocolate!).

I am often still hungry in the afternoons (around 3 and 4pm) when I am at work so I always have almonds and fruit at my desk to snack on. I work out 3 times a week (gym and running) but I have noticed that I have not lost any weight!

How did you curb the sugar/hunger cravings?

thx.

Brittany April 19, 2012 at 8:19 am

Thanks for the info, this helps me understand the paleo diet a little bit more. I have heard so much about it and a little interested in it. I follow a clean eating diet but not sure about all the red meat involved in paleo. Something to think about:)

Traci April 19, 2012 at 9:04 am

Thanks for sharing! I have basically been eating “paleo” without really labeling it so for the past year, and I have also gained a lot of muscle and toned up. I’m a big supporter! It really is a lifestyle and not a diet. I think those who are trying to ease into paleo shouldn’t be so hard on themselves, though; the occasional slice of gluten-free bread or cake isn’t going to hurt.

Krissy @ Shiawase Life April 19, 2012 at 9:29 am

Haha your tank top is awesome! Great guest post about a topic I think more should be educated on before passing judgement :)

Catalina @ Cake with Love April 19, 2012 at 10:03 am

Great post, very informative, I don’t think I can follow this diet only because I don’t like having foods that I CAN eat and CAN NOT eat, I love grains so this is another reason!

Krystina April 19, 2012 at 10:15 am

This post is so depressing.

Cait's Plate April 19, 2012 at 11:07 am

I loved this post! Thanks for sharing your journey!

Lauren April 19, 2012 at 11:43 am

Thanks for this informative post! As a vegetarian, I believe it would be very hard for me to successfully follow the Paleo diet. (Not impossible, but hard). I don’t have any inclination to eat meat, and I’m admittedly not sure I have the energy to plan such detailed meals every day! Nonetheless, it’s interesting to read about your experiences with this lifestyle, and how it’s had such a positive impact on your life. All the best!

Laura is Undeterrable April 19, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Honestly, the reason I haven’t gone paleo is because of the reasons you listed above. I’m not in a place where I can restrict food right now without consequences. Maybe someday I’ll get there. I would definitely like to live the paleo lifestyle someday.

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles April 19, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Thanks for the honest and real post about going Paleo!

Jane {In the Pink and Green} April 19, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Great post! My husband and I have recently started trying to eat Paleo over the past few months and we’re really liking it so far! We’ve both lost weight (my husband has lost almost 40 lbs!) but I really like the fact that we’re eating so much more real food (tons of produce!) versus “healthy” processed food (whole grain stuff that’s really not that good for you!)…however, we definitely haven’t made the switch to “hard-core Paleo people” yet…we follow the Paleo diet pretty strictly at home, but on the weekends we definitely indulge in non-paleo foods when we travel, mainly because we both love them and I feel like life is too short to never eat those foods again…do we need to eat them all the time? Definitely not…but we do still eat them occassionally and I’m ok with that. I realize that to really get the full benefits of the Paleo lifestyle you really need to try to follow it pretty closely all the time because I know that eating those “bad” foods once a week essentially damages your intestines all over again…but the way I see it is we’re in a much better place than we were 3 months ago, and I chose to see the positive (we’re eating so much cleaner and consuming lots more produce/healthy protein/drastically less carbs/dairy) versus the negative (we’re not following Paleo completely to the letter 24/7)…basically I think the principles behind Paleo are good, but we’ve just adopted them to fit our lifestyle at this point :)

TC April 19, 2012 at 12:46 pm

I appreciated this post because I’m on day 28 of a 30 day paleo challenge and I HATE the attitude in the paleo community of “Just do it — it’s not hard!” because yes, it is hard, especially if you are someone who likes to eat socially, whether at a restaurant or as a guest in someones house.

I will also say that I was eating a lower-fat vegetarian whole foods diet before going paleo and I honestly have not seen the results touted by the paleo community. My skin is not clearer, my weight loss has been minimal, and my energy levels are even less than before. Some might say that I would need to give it 45 or 60 days to really see results, but I feel like the difficulty of maintaining a paleo lifestyle is not worth the supposed benefits to me at this point if it is not changing anything.

Annette@FitnessPerks April 19, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Nice review of it!

Amy @Health Hungry April 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Thanks for sharing! I think any way of eating out of the norm( the nom being; fast food, processed food, FDA food pyramid) can be challenging in our society. What is key is listening to what our own bodies tell us rather than people’s opinions! Good on ya! I especially appreciate you sharing what you did about disordered eaters using caution, I just blogged about that in my own experience today.

Brianna @ Don't Eat Crap April 19, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Thanks for educating me on a topic that I see talked about all the time but haven’t delved in to the subject much. Everyone has their own unique lifestyle choices, whatever makes you happy, stick with it.

Joyce @ Jranola Joyce April 19, 2012 at 12:55 pm

Great post!
    I have been thinking about trying Paleo. Thanks for the info :)

Christine April 19, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Sounds a lot like low-carb re-branded to me.

Sarah April 19, 2012 at 1:31 pm

That was a nicely written post. I lean toward an almost vegetarian diet so I am not on-board with Paleo for moral reasons but I can appreciate someone else’s perspective regardless.

I think this was a well written, non-confrontational explanation. That variety of conversation tends to be lacking in the Paleo world so I really enjoyed this post! I’m always happy to support someone who has found good health and happiness with whatever food they decide works for them :)

Michelle April 19, 2012 at 1:45 pm

Thanks for the post! I have been trying to adopt most aspects of the paleo lifestyle, but not all. Breakfast is the hardest for me – it’s still oatmeal and coffee with creamer. But the rest of the day is almost 100% paleo so I’m hoping to see changes in my body with this diet. If not, I might have to give up my beloved breakfast! :( Has anyone tried doing paleo just 75% of the day and had success?

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop April 19, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I just started switching over to Paleo just a couple weeks ago! I ran into the same problem you did. When I mentioned to someone in a conversation that I didn’t know what to do with all the rice I had in my pantry, she said “well, just keep it for when you aren’t doing Paleo anymore”. She couldn’t understand that its a whole way of eating (forever) and not a diet. I just don’t try to explain anymore! And just telling the waitress at a restaurant that you are allergic to gluten helps any ordering issues :) Or at least make it seem less strange since being gluten free is kind of in right now (half actual disorder, half trend I think!)
    ~Ang

kathy January 3, 2013 at 5:42 am

@Angela @ The Chicken Scoop: oh really ang? If I eat even a small amount of gluten I cramp up and poop fresh blood for 3-5 days.

Stormy @Maoomba April 19, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Tina – great post! It is hard to transition. Over time, it gets easier, but initially our bodies just crave what we’re used to. I stopped eating gluten and dairy several years ago due to food sensitivities. Having grown up in a Mexican household beans and rice are actually much harder to give up and I’ve decided that for me, personally, they will remain an intermittent part of my life in spite of the fact that the vast majority of what I eat would be considered Paleo.

In response to Katie @ Peace Love & Oats’s question: I run and don’t have a problem. If you are concerned, eat high-quality starches like sweet potatoes and beets. The morning of a long run, I’ll eat a banana with almond butter and a hard-boiled egg. Between that, plenty of water, and some dried fruit and nut snacks, salt tabs, and plantain chips I do fine. I did this with a recent 17 mile trail run without a problem. Just be sure to eat some good recovery food as soon as you can.

Nicole April 19, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I agree this was a well written post, but it kind of bummed me out. I understand your reasons for going paleo, but if you truly enjoy, cake and bread, just eat it!

Renee C. April 19, 2012 at 5:44 pm

TC!!! I am with ya on this. I am on Day 11 of WHole30 challenge and honestly, I feel kind of awful. For Lent, my husband and I gave up meat – of course, he lost weight and I …stayed the same:) I am a cross-fitter and since Paleo is all the rage, I wanted to give a 30-day challenge a try. So- swapped the beans and cheese for beef and carrots! I must say, I have been tired, my skin looks no different, and my clothes fit Tighter! Although my stomach issues seem to be improved, I am so sick of eating hard-boiled eggs and veggies (and it’s only Day 11-yikes!) that I am starting to wonder if this was the right choice for me.

Camilla- you mention you GAINED weight. Most people i have talked to following paleo or whole30 have lost weight …so I am just curious about why you gained (muscle?) and maybe if you could speak to that topic:)

Thanks!

S April 19, 2012 at 8:41 pm

You look exactly the same in both pictures. Don’t get me wrong, you look fabulous in both, but they don’t look like before/after pictures. But if you feel better, that’s what’s really important!

Megan @ Weddings and Workouts April 19, 2012 at 11:32 pm

Kudos to you and anyone else who follows the lifestyle, but from what I’ve heard, it’s not for me. I don’t have any issues with gluten so I’m not giving it up!

Kayla April 20, 2012 at 6:34 am

I am actually eating a paleo diet right now without nuts as well because I am seeing a naturopath to help heal my stomach and digestive issues I have had for YEARS.. Believe it or not, when I eat the way I am supposed to, I feel 100% better, with 75% of my digestive issues completely gone. It seems too good to be true, but eliminating sugar was one of the best things I’ve ever done to feel “normal” again, and yes that includes all gluten-free substitutes!

Thanks for the post!

Jessica April 20, 2012 at 8:46 am

I don’t comment often, but I’d like to speak up here. I’d like to refer you to this recently published scientific publication (April 2012), available at the following website:

This study observed 37,698 men and 83,644 women with repeated measures of diet and up to 28 years of follow-up. Their conclusion: Red meat consumption is associated with an increased risk of total, cardiovascular disease, and cancer mortality. Their final recommendation: “We estimated that substitutions of 1 serving per day of other foods (including fish, poultry, nuts, legumes, low-fat dairy, and whole grains) for 1 serving per day of red meat were associated with a 7% to 19% lower mortality risk.” Additionally, in the article, they state that the “association between red meat intake and risk of total mortality was linear”; in other words, as the amount of red meat consumed increased, the risk of total death increased.

Consuming high amounts of red meat and not consuming any whole grains may appear to have beneficial effects in the short-term, but suggesting that this type of diet is healthy for an overall lifestyle is directly refuted by science.

Cortney April 26, 2012 at 12:05 am

@Jessica: There are many rebuttals to that study that are also based on science. The methodology, for one, was pretty murky. There is a very big difference between chomping down on a Big Mac every day for lunch and eating grass fed, organic, antibiotic/hormone free beef. It’s truly a different product altogether- really, even the vitamin composition is totally different. The effects on the body can’t truly be fairly compared if you are not controlling for the quality of the meat.

Look at the recent news articles on pink slime. If you’re eating crappy, abused, factory-farmed beef, yeah, that stuff is poison no doubt. It’s sadistic to animals, terrible for the environment, and trash for your body. It’s apples to oranges, though, to compare that to top quality pastured meat eaten in moderation- a true portion size of meat is quite small, certainly no Big Mac…

Beth April 20, 2012 at 9:03 am

Ahhh Fort Hood. I used to live there, and I can tell you its not easy being Paleo there! All chain restaurants, and nothing special! I pretty much never ate out when I was there. I did a lot of cooking!

April April 20, 2012 at 9:42 am

This is interesting to me! I am still not convinced. good Luck! :)

Sarah April 20, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Clearly I’m in the minority here, but I’m concerned about someone with a disordered eating past following “extreme” eating plans such as this. I understand paleo and its correlation to Crossfit, and I realize it can be healthy. But I do worry about people with such extreme eating tendencies – those that eliminate entire food groups.

Kelly April 20, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I think the Paleo has both good and bad points. We should all strive to avoid refined sugars and oils, and eat a diet based on whole foods, particularly leafy greens.

However, I think Paleo is so often labeled a “diet” and a “fad” rather than a “lifestyle” because its selling points are most often centered on testimonials rather than scientific backing (peer-reviewed studies). I understand that Paleo works for the author of this blog entry, but does that mean it will work for her in the long term? Or that it will work well for others? Numerous studies have concluded that a diet high in red meat is unhealthy, and can lead to heart disease and cancer.

Plus, in our modern world, eating meat just doesn’t work the same way that it did back in the Stone Age. Modern meat is a scary thing, and it can be very difficult (and expensive) to avoid eating meat that has no antibiotics, growth hormones, toxic chemicals, pesticides, heavy metals and all of the other icky things that the USDA gives to our oft-sick food animals.

My friends partaking in the Paleo diet/lifestyle say that the solution is to eat locally raised, grass fed animals, talk to the butchers, seek out organic meats and so forth. This is a noble idea, but if meat is the basis of your diet, how do you do this consistently and affordably? These are the same friends that suggest going to In-n-Out to eat a protein style burger (lettuce wrapped around the patty). A fast food restaurant’s beef certainly doesn’t meet the high standards that we should all have when we eat meat.

If you’re considering this diet, I think it has many benefits and that it’s not all bad. We should all cut back on processed foods and refined grains. However, I would encourage anyone who wants to take the Paleo plunge to read up on the “gory scientific mechanisms” or consult a health professional before doing so, particularly if you have a history of disordered eating.

BB April 21, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I’ve been told by my trainer, NO grains or dairy. You list both?

BB April 21, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Sorry I miss read!

Meredith April 23, 2012 at 6:47 am

I would recommend people talking to a Registered Dietitian before changing their diet so drastically. I think a lot of this information is more pseudoscience than science.

Camilla @ TGIPaleo April 23, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Wow, I really didn’t think this post would resonate so much! There are many different schools of thought on diet and nutrition, and I’m just happy to offer up some perspective from my own experiences in an objective way. Thank you all again for your thoughts, and thanks to Tina especially for the chance to guest post!

acm May 4, 2012 at 1:54 pm

wait! where’s the bad and the ugly? this seems pretty uniformly positive, except for “it might be hard at first”…

in my case, one of the “bad” things is that after just a couple weeks of going pretty pure Paleo, I started getting hot flashes and other signs that my premenopause has jumped forward a good bit. I’m willing to give it a while to settle down, since I presume my body needs a while to adapt to the radical change, but right now that’s a pretty major minus, especially if it interrupts my sleep at all (which is already toddler-limited)!

Donna May 23, 2012 at 1:19 pm

This is the worst post ever!! So extreme and restrictive….come on now, you cannot completely eliminate a food forever from your diet. Let’s be real .

jen November 28, 2012 at 11:53 am

@Donna:

Yes you can lol

Jennifer February 10, 2013 at 9:48 pm

This post is great. I’m on month 2 of my paleo adventure and it’s been great! I’d have to agree and say that leaving my house is the hardest part of eating paleo. Also, I’ve deployed twice and I can’t believe the dedication you’d have to have to try and eat clean during a deployment. Pretty amazing!

Barb June 6, 2013 at 2:57 pm

@acm: I thought I was through peri-menopause and all the related symptoms last summer. I have not had my period or any symptoms in 9 months – but after only ONE week of eliminting grains and sugar (I had already eliminated dairy and do not drink alcohol or coffee)I had my first period in 9 months and I began to experience hot flashes again at night. Hmmm.. I am curious as to why this might be happening and what they connection might be? Has anyone else experienced this as well?

Bets October 8, 2013 at 7:52 pm

@Barb: I too am curious about other women’s experience with this. I haven menopausal for nine years. However, I continue to have hot flashes. They had decreased in severity and frequency over the past couple of years. Was down to one per night znd it was not really waking me fully and a couple per day. But not severe enough to need to remove layers. However, after my first week of the paleo challenge, my hot flashes have increased in both severity and frequency. I am back to bring awakened multiple times in a night. And today alone I had to remove my jacket several times and was really perspiring. My thought or question is about the increase in fat intake. And whether that is the cause. Edtrogen is stored in fat. Estrogen levels are the instigators of the symptoms. I font think it is due to less sugar…. Does anyone else have empiracle knowledge on this?

alexbettina October 12, 2013 at 5:55 am

@Bets:

I am 50 yrs-old and just started getting hot flashes in June! I found this on one of the Paleo sites: http://paleohacks.com/questions/21953/any-experience-with-how-paleo-affects-menopause.html#answer-21965

She increased her daily dose of vitamin E to 1800 UI, and it really helped reduce her hot flashes! I am taking 400 UI per day so I might try increasing it for a couple of weeks to see if it helps.

I started the Paleo diet in August to help overall health, menopausal symptoms and energy level and I feel much better (less anxious, more energy, happier, better hair and skin). I still get sugar and carb cravings, and I allow myself to have some dark chocolate, a coffee in the morning, and a glass of wine in the evenings!

Are you taking vitamin E supplements or other treatments?

angela January 25, 2014 at 3:57 pm

i loved this article. i have been an advid crossfitter for 5 years now and have adopted about a 85% paleo life style. i always feel better eating paleo and always have more energy. im 5’3″ and 52 years old and about 113 lbs. my husband says i have the body of a 20 year old. im more muscular than ever and stronger.