• Fence Day

April 30, 2012

Murphy, who is it?!

This morning, the pug and I were pleasantly surprised by the arrival of the “fence guys” (aka the company who is replacing the piece-of-crap fence in our backyard).

A lot of time, money, and effort has gone into this fence project (i.e. getting quotes, saving for months and months), so I am super psyched that Fence Day has finally arrived. I’ll be sure to show you guys photos of the final product!

Once our new fence is up, the lawn in the backyard is next big project for us:

Remember how nice it looked after all of Mal’s hard work last spring? Well, sadly, it didn’t survive the winter, and it looks even worse than it did last year. Obviously, Mal is super bummed, but he has all sorts of plans in the works for growing the perfect lawn this year.

Dinner

For dinner last night, Mal and I fired up the grill. On the menu: grilled shrimp and roasted veggie salads. The meal was based off this recipe for Spinach, Shrimp, and Avocado Salad, but I added in some random veggies from the refrigerator as well.

Mal always yells at me for sneaking treats to Murphy, but he totally does it too! Busted on camera!

I topped my salad with balsamic vinegar and truffle oil. Delish!

I also roasted some Brussels sprouts on the grill, but they took a lot longer to cook than the shrimp and the veggies, so I ate them after I ate my salad.

To make the Brussels sprouts, I just tossed them in olive oil, added some salt and pepper, and wrapped them in tinfoil. It probably took a good 40-45 minutes to fully cook them on the grill, but they turned out great!

Breakfast

I splurged and bought some almond butter at the grocery store this week, so I woke up thinking about it for breakfast this morning. I toasted up two waffles (Van’s Power Grains) and added almond butter and banana slices on top.

The STARmazing Race

Just wanted to share some info about a great charity event happening in Boston this June!

The Starlight Children’s Foundation New England is a nonprofit based in Boston that lifts the spirits and brightens the lives of children struggling with chronic and life-threatening illness. While doctors are working to treat sick children, we help them just “be kids” and experience the joys of childhood despite the constraints of their illness.

The organization is hosting an event called the STARmazing Race on Saturday, June 16th, and it kicks off at Game On! Fenway. The STARmazing Race is an urban scavenger hunt that sends racers on an adventure throughout Boston following clues and completing crazy challenges, all while raising money to support the Starlight Children’s Foundation. All proceeds from the event directly benefit local programming.

You can learn more about Starlight by visiting www.starlight.org/newengland or the STARmazing Race on the event page here or at www.facebook.com/starlightnewengland.

In what areas of your life are you most and least healthy?

I’d say I’m most healthy with drinking lots of water and getting regular exercise and least healthy with stress management, but I’m working on it! Thanks for all of your awesome suggestions on my previous post. I made a list of your ideas for future reference!

P.S. Need a laugh? Theodora sent me this link this morning: Pug Immediately Regrets Buying a Trampoline. LOL!

Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets April 30, 2012 at 11:37 am

I’m also good at making effort to eat extremely healthy, workout + drink lots of water. I fall short sometimes in the sleep category. I’m someone who needs A LOT of sleep, or else I get sick, feel grumpy & look like crap! My boyfriend doesn’t need nearly enough sleep as I do, so I always find it so challenging! Does anyone else struggle with this?

ROBYN April 30, 2012 at 11:43 am

Hi tina I saw that you said you spurged and bought some almond butter! I was just wondering if you have a Costco where you live? (like a BJ’s I believe) Anyways I get almond butter a 26 oz for the same price as a 12 oz one that is at the local grocery store

Tina April 30, 2012 at 11:50 am

I think we do, and we REALLY should start shopping there! Thank you for the reminder! :)

Catalina @ Cake with Love April 30, 2012 at 11:44 am

Good luck with the fence, I am very excited to see photos of the final product!!! This will make your summer so much more enjoyable! I love grilled shrimp, its still too cold for me in NJ to go and grill outside!!! I would say that I am most healthy with drinking lots of water, I consume alcohol only probably once a month, and just one drink, I have never smoked, but I have a sweet tooth and sometimes I eat dessert for breakfast, this happend today, and I know this is a show stopper since I exercise and I don’t see all the benefits because I have to clean my diet!!

Corrie Anne April 30, 2012 at 11:45 am

I’m always sneaking Boyd treats too!! I can’t help it. And I drop a lot of food. I almost never catch Kevin doing, but I’d love to on camera. My best habit is definitely being healthy. My worst habit is that I hate water and love Diet Coke… I’m trying!!

Tina April 30, 2012 at 11:50 am

Do you “drop” a lot of food? I often do that when I am making dinner and the pug is hanging around my feet! ;)

Hillary April 30, 2012 at 11:46 am

I’m probably most healthy with sleep and exercise, and least healthy with snacking out of sheer boredom. It’s one of my worst habits, and one that I’m trying to break!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 30, 2012 at 11:47 am

I’m probably about the same as you: most healthy with getting regular exercise and eating well (most of the time) and least healthy with my stress. I’ve definitely made major improvements over the years on my stress management but there’s still plenty of room for improvement.

Bjorg April 30, 2012 at 11:52 am

I always have a good healthy breakfast!
    I tend to be real busy in school and forget to exercise, buti am trying to schedule it better! :]

Brittany April 30, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Good luck with the fence! We going through that process right now (getting quotes, making the decision), who knew fences were so expensive!! It will all be worth it when its done …. at least that’s what I keep telling myself:) Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Tina April 30, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Haha! Me too! When it’s all said and done, it’ll be totally worth it! :)

Alex @ therunwithin April 30, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I love grilling season! Everything tastes better on the grill.

Tina April 30, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Agreed! :)

Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit April 30, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Good luck with fence day! We lived in our house for 3 years with a hideous chain link fence (and we live on a busy street so everyone was always up in our business). My husband kept planning on putting up a new fence himself but after we priced out all the supplies/labor etc it was only slightly more to hire someone. And we are so glad we did. They put it up in like 3 days and now our backyard is our own little private oasis.

Alissa Jo April 30, 2012 at 12:42 pm

I am my healthiest when I have an exercise regimen. I’m currently side-lined with an injury (tibia stress fracture) so that adds a lot of stress and anxiety= me over-eating. I find myself eating spoonfuls of nut butter and peanut butter, handfuls of trail mix and other “healthy items”, making them not-so healthy. To make matters worse, I’m not doing the 30-40 miles a week of distance running. I’m not burning the calories I was before, plus I’m eating WAY more calories…I am trying to keep a food journal and keep my mind off of the stress of being injured. I look forward to your blog and love the positivity =) Thank you!

Funaek April 30, 2012 at 12:42 pm

That picture of Murphy getting a treat is so funny and awesome. Pug bliss!

Annette@FitnessPerks April 30, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I LOVE almond butter atop waffles or pancakes. YUMM!

Yah for fence day!!

Amy @Helath Hungry April 30, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Bummer about the grass… I can relate! I am by far healthiest in how I eat(not always, but overall) and I am really good at knowing my limits and not overextending myself… where I am least healthy; working out. I struggle struggle struggle. It’ super hard at this weight – especially because at my lightest, I was working out – and loving it. I don’t know how the “Biggest Loser” contestants work out so hard while they are still so heavy… but it’s inspiring. I need a Bob – actually, come to think of it, working out with a trainer is what got me inspired to do it. I love how commenting helped me through that! Thanks Tina! ;)

Kris April 30, 2012 at 1:03 pm

What kind of almond butter did you buy? I am searching for some delicious almond butter that doesn’t add palm oil (Barney Butter, Justin’s Nut Butters).
    Thank you! Have a good Monday!

Tina April 30, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Stop & Shop brand! :)

Stacia April 30, 2012 at 1:32 pm

That salad looks great! I imagine you burn a ton of calories at cross fit. About how many calories do you consume in a day? The salad looks pretty small…..

Tina April 30, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Check my Weight Loss FAQ page for details, but 1800-2200+ per day.

Grace @ Grace Dishes April 30, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I love pulling out the grill especially when the weather gets warm. The food looks so delicious.

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio April 30, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Awesome salad! I seriously can’t wait to have a house and a grill… so fun!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 30, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Murphy looks too cute!!! I’d have to say i’m bad with stress-eating, especially right now during finals! ahhhhh

Ellie@Fit for the Soul April 30, 2012 at 2:27 pm

ahhh it is always SO EXCITING working on a new project, whether it be large or small. A fence is quite rigorous though! I can relate to people when they renovate things in their house now even better, b/c I recently got married and we’re in an OLD house (50′s)! And the smallest renos and decos can be so fun! :D

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama April 30, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I love almond butter, too but it is a total splurge! I can’t wait for Trader Joe’s to open here in the early fall. I won’t have to buy 10 jars every time we go past a TJ’s!

I’m the healthiest about eating veggies and exercise. I’m the worst at stress eating. Still trying to get that one figured out!

Dede Brentlinger April 30, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Good luck on the fence and backyard. Being in military housing means that we don’t have to worry about either of those things, which is great for my husband since he would be the one to do it all :).
    I am great at making time to workout out, but my water intake and lack of sleep are the worst. Perhaps that is why I am always tired ??? :)

Cait's Plate April 30, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I’d definitely say I’m least healthy when it comes to sweets because I just can’t resist them! Luckily I’m pretty active and eat pretty healthy at meals so that tends to balance it all out :)

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 30, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Most healthy: probably getting in enough whole grains, and just eating fairly balanced. I think living a healthy lifestyle is about balance, and I (usually) do that fairly well.

Least healthy: I probably eat a little too much sugar. I have a sweet tooth. I love me some ice cream and frozen yogurt! ;)

Christie April 30, 2012 at 4:45 pm
    Tina April 30, 2012 at 4:51 pm

OMG! Adorable!!!!

Maureen April 30, 2012 at 8:29 pm

Murphy looks like he died & went to heaven in the picture of Mal “sneaking” him food! I try not to give my dog too many extra treats, but sometimes she looks so pitiful, I cannot help it!

As far as healthy vs. least healthy…healthy would have to be that I drink water 99% of the time. Other drinks do not appeal to me {unless they have booze in them}. Least healthy would be going overboard on “bad” food. I tend to not limit myself when I really should.

Brianna April 30, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Pugs are so cute!l having a fence is an amazing thing with a dog.

Silvia @ skinny jeans food April 30, 2012 at 9:35 pm

wah-wah-wah-wah. Looks like grubs. I’ve been hit this year, too. Super annoying!!

Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl May 1, 2012 at 7:33 am

I am most healthy with getting regular workouts in and drinking water too… But I am terribly LEAST healthy when it comes to holidays. It was just “Queen’s Day” in the Netherlands, where the whole country gets the day off to celebrate the Queen’s birthday… and my Dutch boyfriend introduced me to all the staples: mini pancakes, fries and mayo (sounds so bad, but its SO good), and of course – lots of beer.

I feel sick and in desperate need of a detox!

Chiropractic Coaches May 2, 2012 at 3:07 am

Love your grilled shrimp and veggies! Most healthy for me is having exercise in the morning and eat more vegetables and fruits. Least healthy is eating salty and junk foods. How long did you grilled your Brussels sprouts?