• Cooking With Beer

April 22, 2012

Hello Carrots ‘N’ Cake readers! My name is Stacy and I blog over at Every Little Thing. My blog focuses on recipes that create simple meals using whole foods found at your local farmer’s market. And just like I enjoy supporting local farms, I’m also a fan of supporting local craft beer.

cookingwbeer (460x460)

Something I love about Tina is her admiration for good craft beer. Good microbrews can replicate wine in terms of quality, hand-crafted taste, and flavor varietal (I just had a beer that tasted like peanut butter and jelly – seriously!). I’ve been trying to incorporate beer into the food I eat recently and have come up with some superb results, including the super easy recipe I’m bringing you today!

IMG_7227text (750x562)

Guacamole with Beer-Soaked Tomatoes

by Every Little Thing

Keywords: raw appetizer side snack vegetarian vegan Cinco de Mayo Mexican

Ingredients (serves 2-4)

• 2 medium-sized avocados
    • Juice from half a lime
    • ½ tsp garlic powder
    • Salt and black pepper, to taste
    • ½ onion, finely diced
    • 2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
    • 4-5 sundried tomatoes
    • ½ bottle Kolsch or Pilsner

Instructions

Cut avocados in half lengthwise and remove pits. Scoop the flesh out with a spoon into a bowl, then add lime juice, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Mash until smooth or chunky, however you like, then mix in onion, and cilantro.

Put sundried tomatoes in a small bowl and cover with half the beer. Microwave 1-2 minutes, until tomatoes are soft. Drain beer and chop tomatoes, then fold into guac.

Serve immediately, or after chilling in the fridge for 30 minutes.

Powered by Recipage

IMG_7231half (750x562)

Now, if you have a favorite guacamole recipe already, you can add in these beery tomatoes and it will always taste great. You’re basically rehydrating the sundried tomatoes with the beer, and it adds a slightly bitter, almost earthy taste to the guac. You’d never expect it, but it’s perfect!

Here are a few other Cooking with Beer recipes that I’ve posted recently:

Most importantly, stick with beers that you would actually drink! If you’re really into craft beer, don’t use the Bud Light from 2010 in the back of your bar. Even though the alcohol cooks away in a lot of recipes and the taste transforms, it’s worth it (for the food’s sake) to use quality beer!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 22, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I immediately sent this to my friend who loves beer! I used to but now I can’t have gluten. I’m going to try out a few gluten free beers though…

Brianna @ Don't Eat Crap April 22, 2012 at 4:03 pm

I love making beer cheese soup with a dark ale like Killians Irish Red. Thanks for the recipes!

Stacy @ Every Little Thing April 22, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Thanks for letting me guest post, Tina! Hope you enjoyed your vacay :)

Emily April 22, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Hi Stacey, love this post and clicked over to your blog– and I see that you’re from SE MI, like me! I also went to U of M, and now also go to Wayne State, for law school. :) I am interested in all the topics you mention in your “about me”, and fully intend to read your blog regularly now! Go Blue!

p.s. your beer and bacon pancakes look nothing short of amazing. They WILL be made next weekend in my house. :D

Stacy @ Every Little Thing April 22, 2012 at 4:22 pm

@Emily: Wow that’s so exciting! Even though I live in St. Louis now, I miss it up there and visit often! Thanks for reading!

Jennifer April 23, 2012 at 12:29 pm

@Stacy @ Every Little Thing: I’m from the SE MI area as well :) Michigan makes some fantastic beer!

I’m curious about the beer you had that tasted like peanut butter & jelly.. what was it called? I’ve had the PB&J Ale by Shorts and it was delicious!

Stacy @ Every Little Thing April 23, 2012 at 10:02 pm

@Jennifer: How neat! It was actually a local beer by St. Louis brewery Perennial Artisan Ales, called Plan B! I will have to look for that Shorts beer too.

Luv What You Do April 22, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I love guac…my mouth is watering just looking at that dip. I am saving this recipe for my Memorial Day Fiesta BBQ.
    Thanks for sharing!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio April 22, 2012 at 7:34 pm

What an awesome post! So fun!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 22, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Recipe saved! YUM!!!

Cait's Plate April 22, 2012 at 10:00 pm

I’ve been DYING to make Ashley’s beer fries for such a long time…I’m adding this guac recipe to it! :)

BaileyA April 22, 2012 at 10:18 pm

That. Recipe. Looks. Amazing. At a restaurant I used to work at, we had Boulevard Brewery beer batter-dipped onion rings. Absolutely amazing!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers April 22, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Yum! Beer tomatoes! I love it!! Your recipes looks and sounds fantastic!!

Ara April 23, 2012 at 12:11 am

That guac sounds REALLY good. I’m definitely going to have to try that.

Catalina @ Cake with Love April 23, 2012 at 7:51 am

This is a great recipe, my husband will go nuts for this guacamole!

Whitney @ Whit Likes Fit April 24, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I’m from Portland OR and we are pretty much known as the microbrew capital of the world heheh. My husband LOVES beer and luckily so do I since most of our night outs are spent at breweries. Definitely will be trying that guac.

Lindsay April 24, 2012 at 6:30 pm

After living in CO for awhile, then getting re-stationed to Seoul, S. Korea we were HOOKED on microbrews…your post came just in time as we have FINALLY found a brewery in Seoul!! YAY! Can’t wait to try out a few of your recipes~ we will love them for sure.