• When To Call It Quits With Your Workout

March 22, 2012

After breakfast this morning, I headed out to tackle a speed workout for my half marathon training. Sadly, it never happened.

As I started out on my run, my hamstrings felt really tight, like an almost painful soreness. Usually, a mile warm-up and some stretching loosens me right up, and I’m good to go, but no matter what I did this morning, my hamstrings just hurt. I even felt a weird sharp pain a couple of times when I tried to increase my pace, so I nixed my speed workout and slowly jogged for 2.5 miles. Better than nothing, right? Oh, well. The bad runs definitely make you appreciate the good ones!

How do you know when it’s time to call it quits with a workout?

Lunch

After my run, I stretched for a good long time and then whipped up lunch, which was ham and melted cheddar on a toasted English muffin with a side salad topped with truffle oil and truffle salt. Delish. I’m loving truffle salt on veggies lately!

The second part of my lunch was a smoothie made with fresh strawberries, chopped frozen kale, vanilla protein powder, almond milk, and a squirt of strawberry-banana smoothie supplement for some added omega-3s.

Three Questions Thursday

It’s Thursday again! Here’s the next edition of Three Questions Thursday!

On your weight loss page of your blog, you said you lost 25 pounds. What was a typical day of eating and exercise like for you?

When I was losing weight, a typical day of eating and exercise was pretty much the same as it is today. I still eat between 1,800 – 2,200 calories per day and exercise 4-6 days a week. For me, losing those pounds wasn’t just a diet. I really tried to make lifestyle changes that I could implement in the long-term. For what worked for me, check out my weight loss tips.

I am dying to try a Marylou’s coffee when my husband and I are in Boston for the marathon next month. When I go to their locations on their website it lists them by community name and has an individual map for each location but not one big map that shows where they are all layed out. I don’t know any of the community names so am not sure where they’re at relative to where we’ll be. Any suggestions on how to find the closest one?

Sadly, there aren’t any Marylou’s locations in downtown Boston, so you’ll need to drive, but the closest location really isn’t that far out of the city. The Quincy Marylou’s is just off Exit 8 on Route 93 S, so it’d probably take you 15-20 minutes, depending on traffic. I promise it’s worth the effort!

I love your blog and read everyday, but I’m wondering do you blog everything you eat each day or are some snacks left out?

For the most part, I blog all of my meals during the week. Some of them go unaccounted for on the weekends, but only because I try to give myself a little break from blogging then. As for snacks and random bites of food, they sometimes go undocumented on CNC—mostly because I’m just too lazy to snap a photo and blog about it. For instance, I’ll usually snack on veggies and hummus while I cook dinner, but I rarely ever take a photo of it. So, when you’re reading CNC, just know that not everything I eat in a day is shown.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 22, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I was so painfully sore yesterday from a new legworkout I’d done the day before that I ran for 30 seconds. Yep. I lasted 30 seconds. I ended up just doing an upper body workout instead. Here’s hoping I can get my six miles in today!

Alyssa March 22, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Where do you get the truffle salt?

Tina March 22, 2012 at 1:37 pm
    Sneakers2Sandals March 22, 2012 at 1:38 pm

There’s so such thing as a bad run! But I totally get you…it’s just a matter of your expectations not matching up w/ reality. If you had planned that run, and ran it, you would have considered it a success. The fact that it’s not what you planned is what makes it a bummer.

Molly P @mollyontherun March 22, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Sorry your run was rough! :( That’s the worst. Here’s hoping you have a good run soon! :)

Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls March 22, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I think you just really need to listen to you body it’s the best indicator. It will tell you when to slow down or speed up.

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio March 22, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I truly believe in listening to your body! It’s important to know when to stop and when you just need to push through.

Khushboo March 22, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Completely agree with your approach to weight loss: dont embark on so
    something which isn’t maintainable in the long term!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 22, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I give myself a time limit on aches and pains while working out or running. If it doesn’t get better in 5 minutes, I’m reducing the work or stopping/walking. Sometimes the ache will dissipate before the time is up but most times it’s better to just call it a day.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 22, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Sounds like you made the right move with taking your workout down a notch this morning. Sharp jabbing pain is usually not a good sign, lol.

Jess March 22, 2012 at 2:24 pm

When you make your smoothies, how much kale do you put in? I’m scared that I’ll be able to taste it!!

Tina March 22, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I didn’t measure today, but maybe 1/2 cup?

Juju@getfitwithjuju March 22, 2012 at 2:25 pm

The only time I call it quits on my workouts is when I feel like vomitting, ( like the 300 workout I did once. OMG) and if I feel a crap on my leg while going on the treadmill. I think my brain and body work together and send me cramps so I don’t get a good workout… Strange… =] xoxo

p.s. I was SO hoping to have a marylou’s coffee shop around me! -=*(

Megan @ Megan's Munchies March 22, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Love your Q&As on Thursdays!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas March 22, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I often have trouble calling it quits because I want to get the workout in. I probably end up hurting my body way more than I do help it.. and am trying to listen to it more often and take extra rest days when necessary

Eva @TheHealthyParty March 22, 2012 at 2:54 pm

That smoothie looks good :)
    If I ever feel like I can’t or don’t want to work out, I tell myself I will workout just for 10minutes, and usually I will get into and keep going but there have been some times when I gave it a 10min try and knew I just had to quit and be done.

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming March 22, 2012 at 2:57 pm

It’s good to know when to stop to avoid injury! 2.58 miles is great too though.

Lindsay March 22, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Ugh, this question hits too close to home! I’ve basically been running through pain for the past two months training for Boston. My PT said it’s okay so I haven’t quit, but this has been a tough training schedule. I usually quit when the pain is causing change to my form or gait. Other than that, I keep going!

Sarah @BlondeBostonian March 22, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Ugh, that’s always frustrating. But you’re smart not to push through it when you feel your body telling you to stop. I too struggle with that inner voice. Sounds like you made the right choice.

Ricole Runs March 22, 2012 at 3:10 pm

My hamstrings were bothering me on my speed workout this week too, and I have no idea why? They never bother me. Do you have any clue why yours are tight?

Tina March 22, 2012 at 3:13 pm

CrossFit! I did 2000m row + 400 jump ropes + 100 Kettle Bell swings last night.

michelle kim March 22, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I had to stop a run during my marathon training (it was supposed to be 20 miles) when my left hip was hurting and so tight that it altered my form.
    From what I hear, if it alters your form or the pain is described as SHARP (rather than the lovely burn from weightlifting), I should take it down a few notches or take a rest and recovery day.

katie @ KatieDid March 22, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I call it quits when I’m really mentally not into it. Sometimes its much more beneficial to let your body and mind have some time off and you can come back refreshed and stronger. Still a good run though!

Lenna@lennalivinglight.blogspot.com March 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Oh I hate bad run days – can be a bit discouraging. I’ve been running for 10 years or so and it never seems to get any easier. I like all your healthy eating tips. Why is it so easy to think about doing things like not mindless snacking but right when you are in the moment, you find a way to justify it. KILLS ME!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes March 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I hate having to quit a workout once I’ve started but it happens. Even if my muscles aren’t sore sometimes I just feel dizzy or lethargic which usually means I need a rest day and didn’t plan very well.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 22, 2012 at 3:37 pm

I definitely stop or slow down when something hurts. One time my husband and I were supposed to be running 11 miles … 5.5 miles straight down one road, and then 5.5 miles back. Around mile 6, I got a severe pain in my knee. I tried to walk a bit and then run again, but the pain obviously wasn’t going away. So we had to slowly walk the rest of the way back. Not much fun, but also much better than a serious injury!

Anna, fitscally responsible March 22, 2012 at 3:37 pm

If I’m still not feeling great 20 minutes into the workout, I’ll stop. That rarely happens (and most of the time it is from digestive issues)… but for some reason I feel like 20 minutes is the point where, if it hasn’t gone away by then, I need to walk or stop altogether.

Lindsay @ Salt, Sun & Sanity March 22, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I don’t understand my legs at all- sometimes I’ll bust out 7 miles and feel great, and other times I’ll run 3 and my legs feel like they’re made of lead :(

Jessica March 22, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I’m jealous that you were even able to run that 2.5 miles! I pretty sure I have a stress fracture in my shin and am suppose to run a 10 miler in May so I’ve been altering my workouts to avoid running but I feel like I’m falling short. Thinking realistically though, if you push through the pain and create a greater injury then a shorter run or a different workout may not even be an option and what you’re training for may be out of the question completely.

I think you were right to take a bit easier! Speed work won’t feel nearly as much like work if you’re using too good legs once that soreness goes away!

Nancy March 22, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Question: if you currently eat and exercise just as you did while you were losing weight, how do you maintain your weight? It seems as if you would just continue to lose.

Tina March 22, 2012 at 4:26 pm

By doing just that! :) Before I lost weight, I consumed more calories and exercised less, so when I reduced my calories and exercised more, the weight came off. Now, I just stick to that and maintain my weight.

Heather March 22, 2012 at 7:20 pm

@Tina: I’m still not sure I get it. If you are doing exactly the same thing, shouldn’t your body be losing still? Or is it now that you weigh less, you need fewer calories?

Heather March 22, 2012 at 7:20 pm

@Heather: PS, that was my first post on your blog yay! So excited. You’ve been such an inspiration!

Tina March 22, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Before I lost weight, I was eating more and exercising less, so I weighed more. Now, I’m eating the same number of calories and exercising the same amount as when I was losing weight, so my weight has stayed the same over the years. I haven’t reduced my calories anymore or increased my exercise, so I don’t continue to lose pounds.

Nancy March 23, 2012 at 8:09 pm

@Tina: Sorry, I don’t mean to dwell, I’m genuinely curious about the logic and science. If a certain regimen (x number of calories and y amount of exercise) caused you to lose weight in the past, how does that *same* combination keep you at a stable weight now? Does one’s body adjust/plateau? Without knowing the specifics, it seems like you would have just continued to lose weight, rather than maintain your weight.

MelanieF March 22, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Yeah, it does happen! One time I was on my elliptical, doing my workout and I just felt sore and like I was going to be sick. So 15 minutes into it, I quit! I felt bad afterward for not completing my workout, but then I told myself that it was ok to quit if I didn’t feel good.

Elina (Healthy and Sane) March 22, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I’d probably call it completely quits after that first mile (or experiencing sharp pain). I’d rather take a day off than risk being out of commission for a week or longer.
    Truffle salt on veggies? Brilliant! :)

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 22, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I usually call it quits if something really hurts (pain is different from a good-hard push in your workout). I know the difference, so when I feel that, I stop!

Your lunch {both parts} looks tasty!

Hillary March 22, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I definitely call it quits on workouts sometimes: usually if I’m feeling way overtired/hungry/weak or if something feels “off” like it did for you today. Either I’ll take the intensity down a few notches or just give myself a break completely. Can’t win ‘em all!

deb March 22, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Love, love, love your blog!….We are heading to Boston next month to watch our daughter run the marathon. Our grandkids are 16 and 12 and we’ll be staying near the finish line. Any suggestions for us as far as restaurants close to Copley that are healthful and that also have great beer? Anything you suggest as far as entertainment would be wonderful,too! Thanks!

Tina March 23, 2012 at 8:00 am
    Erika March 22, 2012 at 7:22 pm

That is such a relevant question for me right now! Just finished my second week of Cross Fit. I have never worked out so hard and smart (if that makes sense) in my life. I feel anxious before each class but while I am there I love it even when I am cursing myself for getting myself into this. I already paid for it so I darn well will go to every class!These past two weeks I have been constantly sore, exhausted after class and have bruises on my knees. I have felt like I am going to either going to pass out or throw up. I take a moment and then get a burst of energy and keep going. :)

marisa March 22, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Hey Tina: Great question about Marylou’s–I’ll too be in Boston next month for the marathon and would LOVE to try out the coffee since you rave about it so much and it always looks so delicious–we’ll be staying in Medford–do you know if there’s one close to there?

Tina March 23, 2012 at 8:02 am

@marisa: Sadly, Quincy is the closest location to Medford. It’s probably a 25 minute drive or so?

Danielle @ D. Sells Seashells March 22, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I actually just had my first Naturopath appointment this afternoon, and he did the whole arm-push test to determine my vitamin deficiencies. I thought it was a bit quacky, to be honest, but I’m not totally closed off to the idea. There are certainly gaps in modern medicine, so I definitely see a place for naturopathy – just not sure if holding a vile of “gluten” in one hand and having my other arm pushed down is the ticket.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 22, 2012 at 9:14 pm

I had the same problem with my run yesterday – my legs were so tight! I took a rest day today though so I hope I’m good to run again tomorrow!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) March 22, 2012 at 9:24 pm

When I’m feeling any kind of pain, I stop working out for sure. I love how you metioned that when you were losing weight, you didn’t go on a diet but implemented a lifestyle change. I believe that is so key to successful weight loss!

Cate March 22, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I get really bummed when a run (or any workout) doesn’t go as planned! I was running with friends last weekend and I had to stop after a mile since my knee was sore. But, if it makes you feel any better, your slow jog pace is my really good pace! LOL

Jackie March 22, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I feel so sorry for those who dont have marylou’s near by!!!!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie March 22, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I completely agree about listening to your body when working out. Nothing worse than a full-blown injury!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats March 23, 2012 at 1:29 am

Sometimes I find it really hard to just listen to my body and call it quits on a workout. I may wait a little too long (about to throw up) but eventually my body does get it’s attention. Normally if I go far enough to start the workout (all dressed up and in the gym!) I’ll keep going no matter if it means just going a little easier.

Michelle Levine March 23, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I am loving the game Draw Something too ! Although I dont get why sometimes when I play against randoms they just outright write the word :) Cute dog !

Michelle Levine March 23, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Just realized my comment is for yesterday’s post!

Caitlin March 23, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Really great post! I’ve been training to get back to my high school mile time (ideally I’d like to beat it:) and so I can totally relate to this post! Love your message about listening to you body!

Julie Kim @ Orcas Health Journey March 23, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Yesterday, I went on a 5 mile run. @ 2.75 miles, I felt a sharp pain in my foot – a blister (It’s my 2nd time wearing the nimbus 13) – I had to walk my 2.25 mi back home which took more than twice the time running close to 3 miles :(

Allison March 23, 2012 at 2:49 pm

The phrase “you never regret a workout”….well, I can think of several that I have regretted. I hate reading that phrase because I think it is so misleading and just leads people to feel guilty about taking care of themselves.. If you have a pain, you should stop. A lesson that I have unfortunately learned the hard way!

Amber K March 25, 2012 at 1:31 pm

@Allison: I agree! I’ve had workouts that I’ve regretted so I’ve never understood that phrase. Sometimes I have to determine if it will truly be worth it or not, because regretting working out while mildly injured or sick is no fun!