• What’s On Your Race Calendar?

March 7, 2012

Hey, check it out: brand new Running page on CNC! I’ve been working on this baby for weeks now, and it’s finally done. I can’t believe how much I’ve written about running over the years. Now, it’s all in once place and easy to find.

2012-03-07_1018

Speaking of running, I want to get my race calendar in order for the upcoming year. Last year, I was a crazy person and registered for a zillion road races (and spent a crapload of money on them), so, this year, I’m being a lot more selective with my choices. Feel free to weigh in on any of these races—would love to hear your opinions!

On my calendar (registered and ready to go) for 2012:

• Rock ‘N’ Roll USA Half Marathon: This race is a potential disaster waiting to happen, but I’m planning to have fun with it no matter what.
    • Reach the Beach Relay: I seriously cannot wait for this relay, which reminds me that I need to buy banana costumes.
    • The Boilermaker 15K: Colitis took this race away from me in 2011, but it won’t happen this year. Plus, I’ve been telling my friend Matthew that I’m going to run this race since 1998, so it’s about time I actually do!

Races I’ll likely register for:

• Boston’s Run to Remember Half Marathon: This race is my nemesis. Every year, I want to PR at it since it’s super flat and fast, but I always crash and burn. I want to run it just to make it my bitch.
    • Harvard Pilgrim 10K: This is such a fun race! You cross the finish line on the Patriot’s football field!
    • Falmouth Road Race: Amazing race and distance! It’s pretty much a party for the entire 7 miles.

Races I’m considering:

• Army 10-Miler: I’ve heard this a great race. I like 10-mile races, and I’d get to see my friends in DC.
    • A fall half marathon: No idea which one, but something to keep me motivated. Any ideas, guys?

What’s on your race calendar for 2012?

Breakfast

I started my morning with a big bowl of “Oatmeal” Minus the Oats, but instead of almond milk, I used coconut milk in the mix. Texture-wise, it worked just fine, but flavor-wise, it didn’t change it too much. The banana pretty much overpowered any sort of coconut flavor. Oh, well, it was still delicious.

Snack

Breakfast failed me today because around 10:00, my stomach started to grumble. I definitely needed a snack before lunch, so I heated up some creamy butternut squash soup.

Did you notice “Waldo” in the photo above? Of course, Murphy is never far from the action.

Delicious soup. It held me over until lunchtime, no problem.

P.S. Wanna buy some fun Carrots ‘N’ Cake gear? Spreadshirt is offering 17% off a $25 purchase with the code is STP1712 (valid through 3/19).

Heather March 7, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Hi Tina:
    I’m definitely doing the Harvard Pilgrim 10K again! I hope it isn’t quite as hot as last year, and I’m hoping they might move the start time up by an hour… last year it was so h-o-t. As for a fall 1/2 marathon, I loved the Newport Half that I ran last year. This year I’m doing the BAA Distance Medley, so I’ll likely have to skip Newport since the BAA half is the week before and I can’t imagine doing two 1/2 marathons on back to back weekends…. But I can’t say enough about Newport – what a beautiful race! (Oh, and there was a Groupon for it last year – half off registration!)

Tina March 8, 2012 at 5:54 pm

@Heather: I love Newport! Maybe I’ll think about that half. Thanks for the suggestion! :)

Anna, fitscally responsible March 7, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Team Ortho puts on a really fun Halloween half marathon/10 mile/5k event every year in Minneapolis/St. Paul. I’m running the half for my third time this year!

I am also doing Tough Mudder in May and my first sprint triathlon in June. I just got engaged so I’m sure I’ll add some more in to keep myself motivated.

Tina March 8, 2012 at 5:53 pm

@Anna, fitscally responsible: Are you doing the Tough Mudder in VT?

Alaina March 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I would love to do the Harvard Pilgrim 10k! This year I heard that it’s on July 3rd and at NIGHT.

I’m thinking about doing the Maine Half Marathon on September 30th. It’s in Portland, Maine and it’s a beautiful course!

Tina March 8, 2012 at 7:59 am

@Alaina: A couple of my friends did that one last year. Maybe I’ll put that on the calendar!

Christine (The Raw Project) March 7, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Breakfast looks great! So far I have just one half marathon scheduled this year, I burned myself out a bit last year training and working full time.

GreenGirlRunning March 7, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I’m planning on running 11 more races this year (ran my first marathon the other day! woohoo!) but the ones I’m most excited about are the Water to Wine Half Marathon (Sonoma County) Big Sur Half Marthon, and CIM in Sacramento! The first two are GORGEOUS and the marathon is supposedly a fast course… good for this slow poke! :)

Chase - the CHASE project March 7, 2012 at 5:25 pm

We need to run DC RNR together. My race is a potential disaster waiting to happen too. I haven’t run in I don’t know how long and certainly not 13 miles :)

Tina March 8, 2012 at 5:53 pm

@Chase – the CHASE project: My plan is to survive it, drink a million beers, and then make a scene! ;)

Christine B March 7, 2012 at 5:31 pm

The Wicked Half in Salem is one of my favorites. Late September – the weather is usually perfect running – it’s an early start (7am). It’s a great course – especially along the neck in Marblehead.

Tina March 8, 2012 at 5:52 pm

@Christine B: Good call! I’ve heard that’s a great race– and Salem is so pretty!

Heather March 7, 2012 at 6:05 pm

I’m running DC RnR too! Mine will definitely be a disaster I’ve been having IT band and knee problems and not running much the last couple weeks. I’m all about just making it fun and enjoying a weekend in DC. Enjoy your weekend.

Erika March 7, 2012 at 6:27 pm

I’m running my first 5K on April 14! :)

Megan @ weddings and workouts March 7, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Murphy is so cute!

I’m doing my very first race, an 8km, in June. So excited!

Sarah March 7, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I live right near the boilermaker and just signed up to race for my first time! That is if I can ever recover from this pneumonia…. havn’t ran in 3 weeks ;(

Tina March 8, 2012 at 5:51 pm

@Sarah: It’ll be my first time too! Feel better!!

Serena March 7, 2012 at 10:05 pm

I’m running glacier ridge ultra 50 miler and Pittsburgh marathon. Can’t wait I love races.

Beth March 7, 2012 at 10:53 pm

The Adirondack Marathon half in late September is nice and low key – http://www.adirondackmarathon.org/ It’s run along with a full marathon.
    And, the Central Vermont Leaf Peepers 1/2 marathon in early October is good too – http://www.cvrunners.org/cvrraces.htm

Tina March 8, 2012 at 5:51 pm

@Beth: I want to run a race in Vermont! Thanks for the link! :)

Mary March 8, 2012 at 8:22 am

The Baltimore Running Festival is so fun! PLus you get a medal with a dancing crab, what more could you want? The half course is beautiful and the full course runs through the Maryland zoo! (or at least it did last year). I would echo the fun of the 10 miler in DC my Fiance and I had a great time!

Roxanne @ Little Madam B March 8, 2012 at 8:48 am

I’d suggest The Emperor’s Challenge Half-Marathon ( http://www.emperorschallenge.com/ )….but I doubt you’re keen on having to travel to Canada just for a race >.< My husband has just signed up for it, while I'll be waiting for him at the start/finish.

heidi March 8, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I have a registration for the Race to Remember – i had planned on doing it last year but wasn’t able to get time off of work and now the hubs and i just don’t have time to go up to boston. Not sure what the transfer process is but i’d transfer my bib to you if you want it!

Tina March 8, 2012 at 5:50 pm

@heidi: I might take ya up on the offer! :)

Greer May 4, 2012 at 11:07 am

If your still looking for a fall half marathon you should defiantly check out the CHaD HERO Half Marathon -www.CHaDHalf.org. I’ve ran this twice, now i’m one of the race coordinators for this event. We encourage ALL Superheros (you’ll catch my drift if you check us out). Loving your blog, Tina and you’ve inspired me to run my first full marathon, so thanks!