• What Type Are You?

March 20, 2012

Mal teaches a Psychology class, and, every year, he gives his students the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI), which is a personality test of sorts. His students absolutely love it, so Mal thought I might too, so he took a copy of it home for me to take the other day.

The MBTI is based on four personality preferences:

• E or I (Extraversion or Introversion)
    • S or N (Sensing or Intuition)
    • T or F (Thinking or Feeling)
    • J or P (Judgment or Perception)

After answering the questions on the test, your preferences are combined to give you your personality type. For example, having preferences for E and S and T and J gives a personality type of ESTJ. There are sixteen Myers Briggs personality types.

My preferences were for I, S, F, and J, so Introversion, Sensing, Feeling, and Judging. And, well, it described my personality really well. It was actually kind of freaky how accurate it was!

Characteristics of ISFJs

Myers-Briggs description:

According to Myers-Briggs, ISFJs are interested in maintaining order and harmony in every aspect of their lives. They are steadfast and meticulous in handling their responsibilities. Although quiet, they are people-oriented and very observant. Not only do they remember details about others, but they observe and respect others’ feelings. Friends and family are likely to describe them as thoughtful and trustworthy.

Keirsey description:

According to Keirsey, ISFJs, or “Protector Guardians”, are most concerned with taking care of people by keeping them safe and secure. They are modest caretakers who do not demand credit or thanks for their efforts. But while they are essentially compassionate—and in fact exercise more patience in dealing with people with disabilities than perhaps any other type—their shyness with strangers can lead others to misread them as standoffish. Only among friends and family may this quiet type feel comfortable speaking freely. ISFJs are serious people with a strong work ethic, not inclined to self-indulgence. They believe in being meticulous and thrifty. They work well alone. While they may enjoy taking care of others, they do not enjoy giving orders.

[source]

Kind of cool, right? I’m still surprised how well it described me.

If you want to take the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator yourself, here’s a PDF of the test. Have fun!

Breakfast

Before bed last night, Mal said he wanted pancakes for breakfast in the morning. I’ve been eating “Oatmeal” Minus the Oats for days now, so I decided to whip up the batter for OMG! Pancakes last night in preparation for this morning. It took me 5 minutes to make the batter, and I stored it in the refrigerator overnight, so all I had to do was make the pancakes in the morning.

I layered sunflower butter in between and on top of my pancakes this morning.

I also had half of a grapefruit on the side.

And a glass of iced coffee.

Have you ever taken the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator or another personality test? Was it accurate?

Whitney @ The Adventures of Now March 20, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Thanks for the link – I was just talking about the test with a friend. I took it during career planning in college, I can’t remember what I scored then but I think it’s definitely changed in the past 4 years. I’m ESFJ now – I think being an “extrovert” is the biggest difference …show’s how much I’ve opened up! Very spot on though, even as only being a point away from ESFP

Erica March 20, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Yes, I’ve taken it. I’m an INTJ. It is… scarily accurate. Haha! I think the Meyers-Briggs is the most accurate one I’ve ever taken.

Kelli March 20, 2012 at 1:01 pm

@Erica: Haha, I’m also an INTJ. We are rare! And yes, crazy accurate for me as well.

Amy @Health Hungry March 20, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I have taken that tests many times, and it’s actually changed – though I am usually a INFJ. I remember finding out I was the same type as Oprah once and it made me think I was clearly underachieving! ;) I do think it’s fairly accurate – this is where I learned the definition of Introversion/Extroversion that makes sense. I am very outgoing(extrovert) BUT I get my energy from going within,(introvert) spending time with nature, etc. Therefore, I am actually an I not an E – even though I’m quite social. Happy Spring!!!

Shreya March 20, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Yes. I had to take it as part of a work training course. My type is
    ESTP – Extrovert -Sensing- Thinking- Perceiving and I think it’s quite accurate.
    Though for the last part it’s a P or a J

Jessica @ The Process of Healing March 20, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I remember taking that test for fun in school… so cool!

Parita @ myinnershakti March 20, 2012 at 12:46 pm

So funny you posted about this because I was just reading a book on MB yesterday at work. I am an ENTJ – so pretty much the opposite of you! It really is crazy how well the descriptors come together to describe you as a person. I love this kind of stuff!

Nicole March 20, 2012 at 12:56 pm

I’m also an ISFJ and it is 100% accurate!

Juju@getfitwithjuju March 20, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I remember taking it on facebook, way back when… forgot the results, but glad that you provided the test for us! YAY! =] xoxo

Juju@getfitwithjuju March 20, 2012 at 1:53 pm

@Juju@getfitwithjuju: I just finished and got INFP This is pretty cool! Will share this on my next blog post!! =]

Serena March 20, 2012 at 2:18 pm

That was really fun thank you. I am ENFP.

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com March 20, 2012 at 2:41 pm

We took a Myers Briggs test when I worked for the government. I felt kind of pressured considering they background check the heck out of you and I thought this was just one more thing they are using to disect me as a person. I cant remember exactly what I was but I think it might be fun to take it again. That sounds like an awesome class to teach!

Georgia March 20, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Love Myers Briggs too. I’m an ENFJ. Occsionally the husband and I retake it for fun to see what we are. I wouldn’t have pegged you for an “I”! Maybe “I”‘s make good bloggers.. Hmmm.

Jessi March 20, 2012 at 3:30 pm

INTP, one of the rarer types or so they tell me. My hubby’s really interested in personality and psychology research too, and now I’m totally into it. Have you heard of the ‘Big 5′? It brings together a lot of the personality research over the last few decades.

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf March 20, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I LOVE Meyers Briggs Typology! I started studying it in high school and since them I’m become sort of a master at reading people in this particular light. I’m ISFJ/ISFP (both descriptors describe me perfectly, but in the past five years or so I’ve been expressing the “Perceiving” trait a lot more).

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed) March 20, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Yes I have taken this test a few times and each time I am also an ISFJ. Describes my personality 100%. Scary how accurate the test is, isn’t it? :)

Fiona @ Well-Fed Redhead March 20, 2012 at 5:58 pm

I’m ISFJ as well! I think it describes me pretty well too, we must have a lot in common :)

Ed March 20, 2012 at 7:10 pm

I have taken a personality test through work and it was crazy accurate! Didn’t really change anything but it gave me insight on why I do certain things and why others do what they do…

I always thought those things were hinky, but after taking one serious I can see how they work…

Lorie March 20, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I’m an ISFJ too! I was surprised at how many others commented that they were also..

It definitely makes you appreciate who you are!

Elisabeth March 20, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I’ve taken the test several times over the years and I’m always an ISTJ – pretty accurate for me I’d say :)

kath March 20, 2012 at 8:50 pm

Man Tina, we’re nearly opposites! I’m ESTJ :)

Megan @ Weddings and Workouts March 20, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I am also an ISFJ :-) I remember the first time I took this, I did NOT want to admit that I am an introvert! It used to really bother me, but now I am happy to embrace it.

Laura @ First Class Great Outdoors March 20, 2012 at 9:12 pm

My type is ISTJ – close to yours! I definitely agree with my type. Since my master’s degree is in counseling, and I work as a career advisor at a university, I do see the value of assessments like this. I just believe it is important to work with someone trained with these tools in order to understand how to use the information.

Cher March 20, 2012 at 9:33 pm

I’m an INFJ and it’s right on!

Meghan March 20, 2012 at 9:47 pm

My master’s thesis was how MBTI played itself out in my classroom of fifth graders. I am thinking of pursuing research on how my learning/teaching (MBTI) style impacts not only the way I teach, but how I assess the kids. I have found the MBTI is accurate and helps me understand myself and others especially for communication purposes. I’m a huge fan and I love that so many others are, too! :)

Tracey c. March 20, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Would you (or Mal) mind sharing what Mal is? I’m always curious about couples. My husband and I are polar opposites! I LOVE this stuff!

Tina March 21, 2012 at 8:03 am

I forget what he was exactly, but it was pretty much the opposite of me!

Luv What You Do March 20, 2012 at 10:17 pm

There is a great resource out there comparing the Myers Brigg subsets to Friends characters. It is funny and so spot on! Not sure if kids these days have evern seen Friends, but it might be worth looking into.

BTW I test an ESTJ and it fits me to a ‘T’!

Angela March 20, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Those tests are scarily accurate! I was an INTJ and it describes me perfectly.

Kristin March 20, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I’m an ISFJ too.

Megan @ MegGoesNomNom March 20, 2012 at 11:05 pm

@Kristin: Me tooo!! :)

michelle kim March 20, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I’m an ESFJ. I made all my friends take the test to see what they were and it’s so interesting to read the descriptions and find so many similarities! So fun!

Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet March 21, 2012 at 12:16 am

Oh I think I did this once in high school! It’s been so long and I don’t remember lol. I will have to take it sometime this week :)

Erin March 21, 2012 at 12:42 am

I’m ISFP. I also love the enneagram, is Mal familiar with that as well?

Tina March 21, 2012 at 8:01 am

I’m not sure. I’ll ask him!

Lauren @ Recipes for a Quarterlife March 21, 2012 at 1:13 am

The first time I took the MB I was an ISFJ. I took it two months ago and I got INTJ. Still I and J! Those two are definitely unchanging, but the N/S and T/F change for me depending on recent events. Maybe i’ll take it again in a few months and see how it goes!

Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl March 21, 2012 at 4:29 am

I have taken the Myers-Briggs test in the past but would be interested in doing it again! I took a similar personality test for my job at got my strengths to be: Strategic, Woo, Empathetic, Communicator and Activator, which I think are pretty on-point!

Anne P. March 21, 2012 at 9:49 am

I LOVE those types of tests – I find them fascinating and really accurate. A few weeks ago, Matt and I met with a priest we want to marry us and he gave us an abbreviated version of the test to give us something to talk about (e.g. here’s how I approach things, let’s better understand each other – a good idea, I thought!) – I’m an ENTJ. Definitely accurate from the description, I thought!

What’s Mal? Matt’s an ENF P/J (tied on that section) – so we were pretty similar, but I think our differences balance us well. :)

Marissa March 21, 2012 at 10:02 am

We’re the same! ISFJ! So scary accurate.

April March 21, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I love the MBTI! I think it is such an accurate reading of our personality types. I am an ESFJ! I have more of an E quality because of my job but was just barely over the E–I line. Glad that you found your results so freakily accurate!

Katie @ Plates and Paste March 22, 2012 at 3:13 pm

So funny…I’m ISFJ as well! It’s really funny how accurate it is!

Stepheny March 23, 2012 at 12:34 am

I’m a grad student in a Counseling Psych program so have taken the Myers-Briggs several times. I’m always an ENFP, which describes me perfectly. Funny thing is, my boyfriend is an ISTJ. We are complete opposites! There’s really interesting literature out there as well to learn how to work well with people who are different personality types than yourself.

Katy @ HaveYouHurd March 24, 2012 at 2:57 pm

In my MBA classes we take all sorts of personality test. I love them! I am also an INTJ. My T sometimes is an F but I think I identify more with INTJ. Personality tests are great to take a deeper look at who you think you are versus who you really are.

Trudy Muncaster March 24, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Im a ISFJ too. No wonder I enjoy your blog so much. you come from the same perspective as me. Have even signed up for my first 10k run after reading your blog!! Wahoo!!

Pam Hollister April 16, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Thank you so much for writing this great article about personality type. When I was reintroduced to type in the late 1980′s, it explained so many things to me about problems I’d encountered. At that time my type – INTJ – was less than 1% of the U.S. population. Since then, it has become my life mission to teach people how to understand their type and apply that understanding of themselves and others in a practical way in their personal and professional life.