• Nutrition Response Testing: My Results & Decision

March 22, 2012

After my hour-long appointment with the Nutrition Response Testing (NRT) doctor, I had a lot to think about. Even though it seemed a little out there, I promised myself I’d keep an open mind about NRT, so I gave myself plenty of time to consider everything, do my own “research,” and bounce some ideas off of my husband, who always brings me back down to earth when I start to get ahead of myself with my crazy ideas and plans.

During our conversation, the NRT doctor told me a lot of things that I already knew about good nutrition and healthy eating (i.e. eat whole foods, not too much sugar, organic when possible, avoid GMOs, etc.), which was all great, sound advice. However, when it came to my analysis, I just couldn’t wrap my head around what she was telling me, like how the arm reflex test determined which of my organs were under stress and how my body “tested” for certain nutritional deficiencies and then decided (via vials resting on my stomach) which supplements and how much of them I needed to take to fix those deficiencies. It just didn’t make much sense to me, and when it came to the cost of the program and supplements, it was a huge investment, especially for something I wasn’t totally on board with.

The long list of supplements that the doctor recommended to me made me a little uneasy. She thinks there’s an issue with my liver that may have contributed to my colitis flare as well as problems with my spleen, so she recommended a number of supplements to help with digestion and detoxifying my liver. I have no problem with taking supplements, but I didn’t want to take a whole slew of them all at once with the possibility of aggravating my digestive track again by introducing so many new things at once. Who knows if they’d agree with me? It could happen, right? It just makes me nervous. Plus, the supplements alone cost $200! Yikes!

With that said, I’m not going to do the NRT program. However, I *might* try an elimination diet. The doctor thinks I have some food sensitivities to gluten (wheat, oats, rye, barley), soy, and egg yolks, so she suggested removing these foods from my diet for the next 4 months.

Again, I have no idea how pushing down on my arm could determine these food sensitivities, but I’ve always kind of thought I might have an issue with gluten. (Soy and egg yolks are a total surprise to me!) I’ve always struggled with breakouts, but when I’ve limited the gluten in my diet, specifically during my two colitis flares and when Mal and I were eating more of a Paleo diet, my skin looked really great, so maybe it was the gluten?

Removing egg yolks and soy from my diet would be pretty easy for me, but gluten would be a lot more difficult. I’m not sure I want to give up (good) beer or (real) bagels anytime soon, but maybe taking these foods out of my diet would keep my skin clear and make me feel healthier overall? I dunno. I’m not sure what to think of NRT, so maybe eliminating these foods would do nothing at all, and I’d just miss beer a lot?

For those of you who have eliminated foods from your diet for health reasons, do you have any advice? Was it worth it? Do you miss those foods?

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was “Oatmeal” Minus the Oats with two big scoops of Teddie Peanut Butter mixed in.

And, as always, breakfast included a glass of iced coffee.

I ate my breakfast with a 28-pound pug on my lap.

Murphy was really tired and cuddly this morning.

I assume since he’s been to the dog park two days in a row now. Check this pic of him passed out on the couch last night! LOL!

P.S. Speaking of breakfast, check out my newest post with Tips for Navigating the Breakfast Buffet!

Sarah March 22, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I have had to give up a BUNCH of food due to food intolerances – egg, dairy, ALL soy (including soy lecithin), oats, cane sugar, and some minor ones (like artichoke). My food intolerances caused me to have major migraines. It was so tough – I went through all the stages of mourning – I was angry for a while, threw some pretty intense pity parties, and then started to adapt. Now, I would rather go a day without any food than to eat something with one of those ingredients in me – I feel SOOOO much better! It is tough, but well worth it once you figure it out. Plus, once you have eliminated everything and you are re-introducing, you may find something doesn’t bother you (garlic was that way for me – hear the angels sing).

As for a liver detox – my naturopath had me do a liver detox by putting a warm cloth/compress on my right side for 30 minutes 2 times a day for a week and then 1 time a day for 2 weeks. I felt much better after the first week.

Good Luck!

Cindy April 27, 2013 at 8:11 pm

@Sarah: Respectfully, a wash cloth on the abdomen does nothing to clean your liver. The liver does more than clean our blood; your entire body’s chemistry works like an elegant ballet. To see if you are truly deficient in nutrients, find an excellent primary care physician and work with that person in a trustful, partnership. Lab work determines what nurtients you are genuinly low in. Some vitamins are fat soluble; some water soluble. When you get too much of a water soluble vitamin; it costs money but no damage: you pee it out. The fat soluble vitamins are stored and can cause you problems. I have taken chemistry and anatomy and physiology. I am noticing how some people take advantage of trusting people regarding health/nutrition because the science of health is extremely complicated. Take good care of yourself. The naturopath that you are using is using you.

Bob November 25, 2013 at 7:33 am

@Cindy: @Cindy:Sounds like you work for big pharma.

Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet March 22, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I tried to do a gluten elimination diet before I found out I was allergic to wheat. It wasn’t really a good idea because I was also allergic to corn and many things I was replacing it had corn. Right now I have to eliminate corn, walnuts, sesame seeds, peanuts and wheat since I am allergic. It’s hard but it was worth it. I don’t have any symptoms anymore :) Good luck!!! Maybe try gluten free oats?

Meg March 22, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Yikes I feel the same as you about that test! I had an endoscopy once when it was thought I had a gluten intolerace but thank the heavens I do not! This is going to sound crazy but I had a gluten free pizza dough once and got the flu SO bad a few hours after eating it – now whenever I see the words gluten free my stomach turns upside down LOL I can’t help it.

Deb @ wiseupslimdown March 22, 2012 at 10:40 pm

I had a feeling they were going to load you up with supplements ;)

I found out I had Celiac in 2005. I had no stomach issues…no pain at all but I was terribly anemic. An endoscopy and blood test confirmed I was off the charts. By giving up gluten I can’t say I felt any better. My headaches continued so after a year I decided it was bunk and I started to eat wheat again with wild abandon. A few months later I could not get out of bed because I was so anemic and decided not to fool around anymore. I avoid oatmeal as well unless it’s gluten free. Do I miss it…sure…but the gluten free products on the market these days are so good I no longer feel sorry for myself. Matter of fact, I just tried a gluten free cookie that was amazing. My migraines did not stop until I gave up soy protein isolates, eggs and sugar. Now I only eat fruits, veggies, nuts, flax/chia, some cheeses and occasionally fish, millet, rice and buckwheat grains and flours and this diet seems to keep the migraines at bay.

Cute picture of Murphy!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie March 22, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Cutest. Murphy picture. ever.

As a side note, I’ll be interested to hear how the food sensitivities and such go for you! Hopefully, all turns out fine :)

Luv What You Do March 22, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I’m happy to hear someone else hesitate before buying into a huge group of suppliments. I always wonder why the health professionals who promote the cleanest food and lifestyle take SO MANY additional supplements. Is it necessary?

I can say that taking processed and white sugars away helped clear up my skin and that since draastrically cutting back on dairy a few months ago (knock on wood) has helped my IBS and sinus issues. Believe it or not, I don’t miss it. I get little amounts is special sweets and treats and don’t miss the daily milk, yogurt, or cheese!

Lauren March 23, 2012 at 12:49 am

About the pug… how tall/long is is Murphy?!?!? I figured he weighed less than 28 pounds!

My parents have a precocious pug Annabelle :) who is also 28 pounds, but that’s after nearly two years into a “lifestyle change” including diet dog food and some other veggies her vet recommended to help her not be so hungry during the day. Like every pug I’ve ever met, the girl lives to eat! My dad calls her “svelte” now that she’s lost so much weight, but he’s just biased.

Kayla March 23, 2012 at 6:33 am

I just wanted to let you know that I am seeing a naturopoath right now and have been for the past 3-ish months. I was a little hesitant in the beginning but immediately after she did the first tests where she tells you what is bothering your body (i.e. chemicals, fungus, parasites, foods etc.) I need she was spot-on. I hadn’t told her anything about my past history with gluten, dairy and sugar intolerances and she immediately was able to tell that those 3 things and a few others were contributing to my BAD symptoms.

I had been to doctor after doctor after doctor and no one would do a single thing for me other than telling me I had “IBS.” This wasn’t something I was going to accept: I wasn’t going to live my life in pain and accept it was just uncurable. I ate pretty healthy before and had eliminated all gluten and dairy from my diet and ate way better than most of my family and friends… however, my stomach was still messed up.

Ever since seeing my naturopath, I have really honed in on what causes my stomach to flare up and what causes the uncomfortable, bloating, constipation, sharp pains, gas etc. that I would get on a daily basis.

I’m not saying my stomach is close to perfect yet, but it’s made so much progress and the tests that we perform on the check-in days tell me that. I wanted to let you know that it DOES work, so if you ever feel like you’re stranded and at a loss for what to do with your colitis problems, I would suggest going back.

It’s a huge investment, but one of the best I’ve made so far!

Mary March 23, 2012 at 7:22 am

I recently gave up wheat, after reading the book Wheat Belly, and except for one day of indiscretion last weekend, I have stuck to it 100%. It has made a big difference in how I feel. I was having painful arthritis flare-ups in my knees (left more than right), heartburn, and IBS symptoms, and those have all gone away. I sleep better and have more energy. The internet is FULL of amazing wheat-free options (I like to search Pinterest for new things to try). I do not, however, eat a lot of the commercial “gluten-free” foods because I didn’t want to replace the processed stuff in my diet with more processed stuff. So far, it’s really working for me!

Marissa March 23, 2012 at 8:56 am

I figured out at the end of last summer that I’m lactose intolerant! This was a huge blow to me, because dairy was my favorite food group… I loved cottage cheese, yogurt, feta, ice cream… but my face was a broken out mess, my stomach was constantly distended, and I had severe constipation and horrendous gas. So, even though I thought it was the HARDEST thing in the whole world to do at the time and I thought my life might be over (lol… jk), I gave up the dairy.

Now I can sit here and say that it was soooo worth it! After a few minutes I stopped missing it so much. Now the only thing I’m annoyed with is that I have to check the back of every label and get an allergen menu list when I got out to restaurants. EVERYTHING has either milk, cream, or butter in it! But I feel so much better. My face is clear and my stomach is a good couple inches smaller because its not bloated anymore! Love it!

You can do it. Just get past the first couple months, and then the cravings stop and living without gluten will just be natural for you!

Beth March 23, 2012 at 9:29 am

I am giving up all dairy and soy right now b/c I’m nursing my daughter and she has a dairy intolerance (soy and dairy are closely linked so I’m giving that up too.) Although I do miss pizza, ice cream, and a slew of other delicious foods, it is worth it for my daughter. She is sleeping better, is less fussy, and her eczema is better. All that being said, when she is finished nursing this summer, I will enjoy a feast!

Taryn @ Careeristas March 23, 2012 at 10:15 am

I went to an allergist to test for food sensitivities as well due to my stomach issues. While I’ve been tested for gluten many times and I do not have celiacs, it turns out I have a “wheat sensitivity”. It’s unclear exactly what that means but the doctor advised that I stay away from food that contains wheat. I’ve noticed a huge difference in my stomach issues and overall feeling now that I’m mostly wheat free!

Trader Joes makes it easy to shop since many of their products label at the bottom “contains wheat, contains soy, etc”. They also offer an amazing gluten/wheat free waffle that even my boyfriend loves! Lately, I’ve also been using brown rice tortillas to make flatbread pizzas – also highly recommended.

I hope it gets better for you, Tina. So many of us can relate to how awful stomach issues are and how difficult it is to diagnose the problem!

Michelle @ Turning Over a New Leaf March 25, 2012 at 1:33 am

There are times I miss the ease of baking with gluten, but when I remember how bad my severe seasonal allergies were when I consumed gluten on a regular basis (and sometimes when I slowly poison myself with it with steady consumption over a week or two)… I realize that staying mostly away from gluten is the better choice. My seasonal allergies were always (for my whole life) so bad that I legitimately could not function in society. Once the allergens hit, it was already too late. No benadryl could fix it. Claritin could prevent it from triggering IF I took it a full day in advance, but once I was hit, it was too late. The initial miserable day of constant sneezing, not being able to breath, not being able to look down for risk of dripping all over the place, and the intense brain fog and crippling full-body fatigue would trigger a sinus/respiratory infection that would take a full week to recover from. I felt bad taking sick leave from work because “seasonal allergies” sounds like a silly issue to keep me from work, but it really was not possible to operate life like that.

And for some reason, after eliminating gluten seven months ago, I watched as everyone around me dissolved into typical seasonal allergies during the time of year my allergies are typically worst of all, but I had nary a sniffle. It’s been seven months and I’m on a record for the longest time in my remember-able life of not having those debilitating allergic reactions. I have few other symptoms of gluten intolerance (mild connection to acne, bloating, very occasional stomach pains), but that one alone makes it worth it. I can get creative when it comes to cooking and baking. But I can’t replace not having to experience the agony of a seasonal allergen attack.

Amanda (modernation) March 25, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I eliminated gluten last July after some digestive problems and bad headaches. I eliminated it to see how it made me feel and I felt amazingly better within a week, so I have stuck with it. I can tell when I accidently eat gluten and it isn’t fun. I haven’t felt it too hard and I don’t miss gluten too much. I generally just avoid items with gluten rather than trying to find a look-a-like, but there are some gluten-free alternatives I have found I like. If you find a brand of pasta or bread that you like, stick with it. I have had to throw away whole loaves of bread because it was inedible. Udi’s bread and bagels are delicious, and they are coming out with cupcakes and french rolls this summer. I love quinoa pasta and corn tortillas are my BFF! I really feel it is worth the sacrifice – I feel 100% better and that makes me not miss gluten too much.

A March 25, 2012 at 6:44 pm

First of all – cute dog!! That’s how I ended up on this post. Second, way to not sign up with the crazies selling supplements. Third, – get tested for celiac disease before eliminating gluten, because otherwise the test will not work properly. Something to consider. Personally I have gluten intolerance but not celiac disease, and almost had to resume eating gluten to figure this out, which would have sucked.

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva March 26, 2012 at 5:37 am

I did/am still in the process of doing an elimination diet. It’s called the Low FODMAP diet and has really helped with my IBS symptoms. I’m also trying other alternative therapies to help heal my gut. Currently I’m doing a 5 week hypnotherapy program to help control my symptoms and limit my flare ups. So far I feel pretty good…but I’m waiting til the 5 weeks is up before I make any comments about it.

Lizzie March 27, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I recently tried a gluten elimination diet, thinking that I may have a gluten sensitivity. I just re-introduced it a week and a half ago, and have not noticed any differences. I must admit–I didn’t miss gluten as much as I expected I would!

Though eliminating gluten didn’t help me (as far as I could tell,) I am glad that I tried it, because otherwise I always would have thought “what if?”

Abbey March 30, 2012 at 10:33 am

I wanted to thank you for posting about your NRT experience. I have been struggling for a few months with what other doctors believe are food allergies. I have been to several doctors and had several tests and still have no answers. I was at my wits end and my diet was basically down to chicken, rice, potatoes, salmon and broccoli. Those are the only things that I seem to not cause a reaction. When you posted your results and they had some foods that you could have sensitivities to I immedicately started searching for a doctor in my area who performs the testing. I found one and immediately scheduled an appointment. I have not gone back for my results yet but I am incredibly excited to see what the doctor has to say. My husband and I have been trying to conceive for almost two years as well (with no answers after several tests) and I am hoping that maybe through this whole process I will get some answers to all of my recent health problems. If you never would have posted about the testing, I never would have known to research it and for that I thank you.

P.S. I am still skeptical about the testing as well. I know that it sounds wacky but I am just about willing to try anything right now!!

Helena August 16, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Hi dear.
    I just found your site after googleing some stuff on NRT. I was in your exact same situation last year. I could not really understand that it even worked like that. But with my condition I had tried pretty much everything and I decided to go with it, despite the huge bill… “Pay for it now or pay for it later” kind of… and I am so happy I did. NRT did change my life! I trust it more than anything else out there when it comes to health care… I still don’t fully understand HOW but I know that I TRUST it… just as people trust in God.. I trust in NRT. And after all the supplements you get at an NRT office is only whole food – nothing synthetic. If your system would not be able to handle it all — your NRT would have noticed and she would not have given it to you at the same time. The first session you go it is usually costly but then it gets less and less… followed by perhaps a new flare up of something that is laying under the surface that needs help after your first issue have been taken care of. If you ever get a chance to do it again – go for it… at least try it for a month or two… Much support. ~Helena

Sandra November 15, 2013 at 10:15 pm

@Helena: I also have tried everything known to man to help with my Fibro and chronic fatigue over the last 12+ years of debilitating pain. About a month ago I heard of NRT and was recommended by a friend to see a naturopath who has been practicing NRT for over 20 years. I am extremely skeptical and wasn’t sure if this was yet another snake oil salesman preying on the sick. I still don’t understand the procedure, but I agree that it is working for me. I am sleeping more than 3 hours a night consistently, sleeping well and waking refreshed. That is something the best doctors at MGH couldn’t give me with the $800 per visit price tag. I don’t understand trigger point therapy either, but that also has helped me. Chiropractic adjustments as well. I don’t get it, but it has given me relief. There are other things that haven’t helped at all, and traditional medicine is still very much a part of my life. I don’t understand half of what they are doing either. All I know is when something works…or not. For me, weird as it is, NRT is helping, and the price and number of supplements is decreasing. Health is an investment, no matter where you go.

Leslie March 28, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Hi Donna, when you say you “passed liver flukes,” what do you mean by that? Did you see them in the toilet?

wyatt October 7, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I know the process of the viles is hard for people to get, but one thing I don’t get is the fact that people take prescription drugs and go by blood tests results made up by the american medical association who is cahoots with pharmos? I get that the supplements are pricey but so is everything you get at the doctor. So, you want a deal when it comes to your body’s health…that is your decision but don’t discredit a technique that has saved lives. So, noone on this site understands that 80% of your sympathetic nervous system is located in your skin? That is how the viles work….your skin picks it up. Noone knows what it feels like to be in a dark room with no noise and you know someone is there, or you feel something? Yet, when it deals with money people become skeptical. If it were free, would you then take supplements? Supplements are basically giving what the body is craving for and taking the stress off of your organs until the organ can withstand the stress. I love how just because something doesn’t make sense to them, they disregard it….

Paul November 10, 2013 at 11:13 pm

just thought i would chime in about NRT. I am a 27 yr old male and was super healthy and fit until about 2 yrs ago. Just around when I turned 25 my health took a turn for the bad. It started with heart palpitations which led MD to do a bunch of random tests just to tell me I was fine. Then came the crazy food allergies. I ate very healthy at the time but all of a sudden I would start to react to the strangest things, certain fruits, nuts, bread, dairy, etc. After that I started getting this crazy burning sensation on my scalp that would happen all the time. and then finally I starting getting bouts of anxiety, depression, phobias, crazy stuff that I never experienced before. the doc ran blood tests and everything came back normal. He said “its all in your head, I can prescribe you anxiety meds if you want.”
    I wasnt willing to go that route so for the next yr I sought alternative treatment. I saw a holistic dr, did accupuncture, yoga, I tried just about everything but never seemed to get back to my usual self. I pretty much thought I was loosing my mind and I would never get better.
    I would spend hours online searching my aliments and constantly self diagnosing myself.
    I am an avid follower of dr. mercola and I would constantly read his blogs and one day I randomly came across a comment about NRT and a place that uses it to treat patients in upstate NY. I was immediately intrigued and started doing some research. The following day I called the office and spoke with a young lady that went through almost the exact same things I was going through. I made an appointment and was seen a couple wks later. At first I was skeptical but at the time I was willing to try just about anything. well, let em tell you, I am SUPER glad i did because I am 100% healthy now.
    When I got the results from the NRT specialist he found that I had the highest level of chlorine stored in my thyroid glad, as well as formaldehyde, arsenic, and mercury stored in organs through out my body. He then gave me whole food supplements to take (the brand is ‘standard process’) along with minor dietary changes to help balance my body. Within about 3 days I noticed a huge difference and then within about 2 weeks I felt almost normal again.
    Its truly amazing what happens when you give your body the proper tools to heal itself! I am currently still on my program, but instead of seeing the doc every 2 wks I now go maybe once a month or so or whenever I feel like a may need a tune up. My allergies are all pretty much gone, my mood is awesome, and I can actually enjoy life again!
    NRT works works people!

Karen December 4, 2013 at 9:37 pm

I just wanted to let you know that it does work, I know, because I’ve been doing it for over a year. Before I started seeing Dr. Miller I tried all kinds of natural stuff but nothing worked, that is until I started seeing Dr. Miller. Its like got my health and my life back. I’ve gone from having no energy, barely being able to take my dog for a walk, most days I couldn’t. I spent my weekends on the couch to weak and tired to do anything. I also suffered from terrible headaches. Now I run 3 mile a day every other day and do strength training on the other days. I have to make myself take a day off of exercising, I go out on weekends now. I went ice skating last weekend and all because of NRT. I love it and will continue to go!

Denise January 9, 2014 at 8:59 am

Look up the Gluten Summit. There are tons of interviews and lectures by health professionals of all kinds telling about the damage and toxicity of gluten and other problems with the altered wheat of today. It did a real number on my skin and the skin of my children when we quit and then went back to it for the holiday season. It’s toxic for everybody and a lot of the speakers are neurologists. It is bad for the brain also!

Theresa January 9, 2014 at 4:21 pm

I am currently using nutrition response testing and the results have been amazing. I was skeptical at first, but it has changed my life. It’s worth it if you can afford it.

Becca April 14, 2014 at 2:35 pm

As a nurse and an NRT practitioner, I can tell you it does work, and it works well. The best thing is that the supplements don’t come with side-effects like drugs. For those of you who don’t understand how or why it could work, you can check out this post on my blog. http://nursegonenatural.com/sample-page Also, there are many things in the medical field that people don’t know or understand how they work. You just take for granted that it works because your doctor recommends it, e.g. MRI, CT scan, medications etc. Have an open mind when it comes to alternative therapies. They are generally much safer than the medical model.