• I’m an Iced Coffee Snob

March 13, 2012

Iced coffee emergency!! Mal finished off the iced coffee this morning! Nooooo! Not on a warm spring day! The horror.

When I realized we were out of iced coffee, I immediately began brewing another pot, but I knew it’d be awhile before a could enjoy a delicious glass of creamy goodness, so I made a pod of “Brew Over Ice” French Vanilla Iced Coffee that I snagged from the NuVal kitchen a couple of weeks ago to try.

I thought the crisis was averted, but “Brew Over Ice” iced coffee is just not good iced coffee. It’s weak and watery and… pathetic. Boo.

I put my glass of iced coffee in the freezer to cool it down with the hope of the ice not melting and watering it down anymore. Unfortunately, it still tasted pretty bad after chilling for 20 minutes. Man, I’m such an iced coffee snob.

I have to admit, other than Marylou’s dessert-like iced coffees, I like the stuff I make at home the best. I don’t really have a favorite brand of coffee (I just buy whatever is one sale), but I brew it strong, like really strong, which is key to a tasty glass of iced coffee. I also think the addition of soy milk, sunflower milk, or coffee creamer is important. Strong + cold + creamy = perfect iced coffee.

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was a big bowl of Creamy Coconut Oatmeal. In the mix:

Lunch

Today’s lunch was a ham and cheddar cheese sandwich with Caramelized Onion Dip. On the side: Zucchini Fries.

After I finished eating, I wanted a little something more, so I grabbed a Honey Fig-flavored Oikos. De-lic-ious!

When it comes to certain things, do you ever consider yourself a “snob”?

I’m definitely an iced coffee snob. I’m really picky about what I’ll drink, and there’s been a number of times that I won’t drink a sub-par iced coffee even if I spent money on it. Life is too short to drink bad iced coffee! I’m also kind of snobby when it comes to jeans. I think a good pair of jeans is worth every cent. They look great and last forever!

Deb @ wiseupslimdown March 13, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I can totally relate. when I did drink iced coffee if had to be very strong with 2% milk. Peets made a really good iced coffee. Nothing worse than a weak iced coffee. Rather not drink anything.

Anna Lynn March 13, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I’m totally a coffee snob as well! I found this local coffee shop and I LOVE LOVE LOVE their coffee….Starbucks, Dunkin’ Donuts, and the like just don’t cut it…and they’re far more expensive! When I go out of town and grab a coffee somewhere, I am always unhappy.

This is going to sound peculiar, but I would also consider myself to be a pink snob. Pink is my absolute favorite color but there are certain pinks that I can’t stand (notably purplish pinks and baby pinks). People are always amused at how I will scoff at shades of pink that don’t meet my “pink standards”.

Melanie March 13, 2012 at 9:35 pm

You post a lot about your job at Nuval. What exactly is Nuval? I’ve looked at the site and see the score for foods. Seems like the higher the number the better? But I don’t understand what the company is.

Tina March 13, 2012 at 9:42 pm

NuVal is a nutritional rating company. They rate foods on a scale of 1-100 based on how nutritious they are to help consumers make healthier choices when they shop for groceries.

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 13, 2012 at 9:40 pm

I am a yogurt snob and hummus snob. My husband is a coffee snob.

Kelsey Host March 13, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Tina, I must say I have been DYING to make your caramelized onion dip- it finally happened tonight!! It was AMAZING– topped some whole wheat crackers with the dip + bits of grilled chicken + a few shreds of mozzarella + truffle salt (of course) and it was a to.die.for.dinner.

Thanks for the recipe (and for eating/posting about it all week so I couldn’t help but pull out the ‘old food processor and make it!)

Kelsey Host March 13, 2012 at 10:42 pm

@Kelsey Host: and I am also a hummus snob- I actually can’t stand Sabra brand, I love my hummus thick and nutty.

Jen @ Such a Funny Fat March 13, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I’m a beer snob through and through. I’ve poured out beers, or refused to drink them, if I thought they were bad because I won’t waste the calories on them. I’d much rather have something that I enjoy rather than just what I paid for.

kirsten March 13, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I am really snobby with stockings. I will only wear stockings from department stores, they last so much longer and fit better than the kind you can find at the drug or grocery store.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 13, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Oh I’m right there with you as being a coffee snob! After working in coffee for 5+ years, I can’t stand crappy coffee. And I avoid instant at all costs (except when traveling or when I’m REALLY trying to save money)…

Yvette March 13, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I agree with a comment from earlier, you may want to try the iced coffee again, but using a smaller cup setting. Also, using a regular (not specifically iced) k-cup of a bold or extra bold variety works well when brewed over ice on the smaller cup setting. A bit of experimenting and I’m sure you’ll figure out the best way for you, so that you have a back-up plan when Mal drinks the last of the really good stuff ;-)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers March 13, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Glad to know about the coffee, I was wondering if I should buy that! What I do is buy a Trenta plain ice coffee from Starbucks ans tore in the fridge. That I just add ice, milk and syrup and make my own. Or if I know I won’t be going to Starbucks, I make a strong coffee and place int he fridge and when I’m ready I add ice, milk and syrup. Makes the perfect cup!

Marcia March 14, 2012 at 12:57 am

My true delight of snobbishness is having to have Starbucks Doubleshot Espresso. It gives a taste to me that is delightful. I wish I could duplicate it on my own the way you do!

Laura @ She Eats Well March 14, 2012 at 2:21 am

I think I am an almond butter snob. Ha. But, it’s more just being really picky. I actually prefer the “cheaper” versions at Trader Joes (raw crunchy unsalted all the way!) versus the more expensive brands, such as MaraNatha which is like $8 or $9 bucks!

Haleigh March 14, 2012 at 3:48 am

I find that I’m a “snob” with a lot of things, coffee being one of them. I’m also a bread snob. Oh! And a wine snob… haha, basically I’m a snob when it comes to anything regarding food or drink ;)

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva March 14, 2012 at 4:07 am

I am a snob when it comes to the temperature of food and drinks. They must be HOT. I’m the kind of gal who will boil the kettle to make a hot chocolate, then put it in the microwave. To me it’s not hot enough unless it’s abut to burn your mouth. Which i have done…many a time!

Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl March 14, 2012 at 5:35 am

I’m a guacamole snob!! I am so particular when it comes to my favorite dip :)

I’ve never been a clothes snob… I have a particular style but have never cared if it came from Old Navy or Nordstrom’s, just as long as it looks good!

Amanda @ Simply Southern March 14, 2012 at 9:22 am

I am a TOTAL water snob. It’s embarrassing. Fortunately, I am good with the water that comes out of my refrigerator. But I can tell when we need a new filter before the indicator light comes on! Never fails to come on a few days after I say “We are about to need a new filter.” My husband thinks I a crazy.

Marie March 14, 2012 at 9:31 am

I’m definitely a snob when it comes to certain foods. We used to loved iced coffee but I finally broke my habit since the creamer I love (International Delight Chocolate Caramel) has bad ingredients. Now I’ll have some coffee with my protein shakes sometimes. I’m also a snob when it comes to haircuts. I love my stylist; she’s the only one who makes long hair still look good and not flat and I can go for longer periods in-between cuts with her. Totally worth it! I agree about jeans, too, though. ;)

Megan March 14, 2012 at 9:42 am

why don’t you eat the standard 1/2 cup serving of oatmeal? i highly doubt those extra 50 calories would do too much harm…

Tina March 14, 2012 at 9:45 am

I dunno. Never really thought about it.

Britta March 24, 2012 at 4:29 pm

The oats that I eat list 1/3 c as the STANDARD serving size.
    @Tina:

Holly March 14, 2012 at 10:15 am

Have you tried Coffee Break Cafe? There are a few locations in Quincy – used to be one in Braintree but it’s closed. This is one of the things I miss most about Quincy! (I live in the Midwest now) Great iced coffee – although I always asked them to NOT melt the sugar (if I had any at all), because then it got a bit syrupy.

Tina March 14, 2012 at 10:21 am

@Holly: I have a few times, but I wasn’t really impressed their iced coffee. :(

Angie @ Pint of Goals March 14, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I am kind of a yoga snob. I did Bikram three to six times a week for a few years and now have certain expectations for studios, classes, and instructors. I unfortunately do not live close to a good studio, and the “yoga” at my gym is a mix between yoga and tai chi by a fitness instructor without a yoga certification.

Erica March 14, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I make iced coffee all the time with my K-cup machine!

Here is my “recipe”: http://atkitchenmacgyver.wordpress.com/2012/02/24/worlds-best-cup-of-iced-coffee/

kristle March 14, 2012 at 4:57 pm

i am a music snob. i basically spent most of my formative years seeing original acts at a local all-ages punk venue, so if i go out to a bar with my friends, i wrinkle my nose at the mere thought of a cover band. yuck!

Danielle March 14, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Tomato sauce, definitely! I’m Italian and, well, NO ONE makes sauce like my Mama does ;) I shudder at the thought of jarred tomato sauce, no matter how good it’s supposed to be – LOL!

Brianne March 14, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Cold brewing really makes the best coffee! It eliminates the bitter aftertaste which hot brewed coffee gets once it sits a while.

I really love coffee and I only enjoy french pressed coffee for both hot and cold. Coffee makers really ruin coffee.