• How to Make Sweet Potato Wedges

March 29, 2012

Sweet Potato Wedges have pretty much become a staple in my diet in recent months. They’re delicious, nutritious, satisfying, and I just can’t get enough of them.

I’ve recently received a number of questions about how I make my Sweet Potato Wedges, so here’s a tutorial that shares all of my little secrets!

Preheat oven to 400*F.

Start with two medium sweet potatoes.

Cut off ends.

Cut sweet potatoes in half.

Then, cut those piece in half lengthwise.

And then cut them in half lengthwise again.

And again. Hello, wedges!

Add sweet potato wedges to a large mixing bowl and drizzle with olive oil (approximately 1-2 tablespoons).

Sprinkle with sea salt and mix until wedges are fully coated with olive oil and salt.

Transfer sweet potato wedges to a cooking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.

At the 20-minute mark, toss around wedges to prevent sticking and then bake for another 20-25 minutes. (I typically toss around the wedges again after 10 minutes. I don’t want them to burn!)

When sweet potato wedges start to lightly brown, turn up the oven to broil and cook for 5-7 minutes until the edges are crisped to your liking.

Remove from the oven and enjoy!

Christina March 29, 2012 at 8:20 am

Yummmmmmmm! I could never figure out how to cut them into wedges (LOL), thanks!!! :D

Serena March 29, 2012 at 8:30 am

I’m going to make this tonight, but I think I’ll skip the peanut butter dip :)

Colleen @ What's Baking in the Barbershop?! March 29, 2012 at 8:46 am

Love me some roasted sweet potatoes! I make them at least once a week but how I cut them varies depending on my mood, haha – sometimes in “cubes” and sometimes in wedges or “sticks.” Will never get sick of ‘em!

eliza March 29, 2012 at 8:47 am

Hey Tina- one of my friends who owns a restaurant told me vegetable oil or canola oil is better to use for sweet potato fries because olive oil gets too hot which in turn will burn the sweet potato fries.

He also soaks his in water first. I am not sure why he does this but their sweet potato fries are THE BEST and I make them all the time.

Have a good day! :)

Megan March 29, 2012 at 9:26 am

@eliza: I’ve heard this too! Soaking in water for an hour + first {when I have the time}

Kelly March 29, 2012 at 10:26 am

@Megan: I wasn’t sure if it would be beneficial to soak sweet potatoes because I thought it had something to do with the starch (which is why people do it with white potatoes). I will definitely do it from now on!

Tina March 29, 2012 at 9:40 am

Interesting! I’ll have to try canola next time. Thanks for the suggestion!

Mattie @ Comfy and Confident March 29, 2012 at 9:31 am

I make roasted sweet potatoes all the time. I just have to say, your explanation of the process is spot on and incredibly detailed! You can’t go wrong if you follow these instructions! :)

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats March 29, 2012 at 9:34 am

I never get why people cut off the ends of swee potatoes, that’s actually my favorite part! Maybe I’m just weird…

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen March 29, 2012 at 9:36 am

I can never get sweet potato “fries” how I want them, testing this out asap! I think the broiling at the end sounds like the step I might’ve been missing.

katie @ KatieDid March 29, 2012 at 9:45 am

mmm baked sweet potatoes are light years better than microwaved I’m finally figuring out. A bit more patience involved but totally worth it.

Christina March 29, 2012 at 10:14 am

yummy! Must make these soon! P.S. When my grandma makes sweet potato wedges for me, I sometimes add a dollop of nutella on there. Sounds gross but its AMAZING!

Katie July 5, 2012 at 3:33 pm

@Christina: Nothing with Nutella could ever be gross! Sounds great to me1

Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls March 29, 2012 at 10:35 am

Yum! I am definitely going to try these out. I bought frozen sweet potato friends from Trader Joe’s the other day and I loved them. These look even better!

Cat @ Breakfast to Bed March 29, 2012 at 10:43 am

I LOVE sweet potato fries and wedges. This is a great tutorial.

Dominique March 29, 2012 at 10:44 am

Sweet Potatoes are so good!

I don’t like to wait that long for them to bake, so I cut mine real thin. I also like them a little crunchy around the edges and making them thin helps.

I also don’t like extra clean-up so, I line my baking pan with foil and I toss the fries with oil right there on the pan. When they are done I toss the foil and I don’t have to wash the pan. Easy-peasy.

Dominique March 29, 2012 at 10:44 am

Sweet Potatoes are so good!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 29, 2012 at 10:51 am

Fine line between burnt & crispy – learned that the hard way! ;)

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 29, 2012 at 11:09 am

This is perfect! I have 2 sweet potatoes that I was quite sure what I was going to do with!

Kathy March 29, 2012 at 11:43 am

Do you ever cover the potatoes with foil or anything for any length of time to help them cook thru faster? When I try baking potatoes without them being covered, they get all dry and crusty. Still edible, but they tend to be on the chewy side. They look so yummy. Will have to try your method

Amanda @Dogs, Chocolate and Fruits & Veggies March 29, 2012 at 11:44 am

Thanks Tina. What I also love is that they are an inexpensive vegetable. So you won’t break the bank making these!

Cate March 29, 2012 at 11:45 am

I drizzle mine with some truffle oil before baking. Yum!

Atsuko March 29, 2012 at 12:13 pm

That’s how you are doing. I tried, but mine was not great at all. Outside was dry hard… I will try one more time. Thank you for sharing this.

becca @ bellebottoms March 29, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I like to add some olive oil, salt and pepper to a ziploc bag, and then toss my veggies in there first….it coats them really well! Then i just pour out the veggies from the bag onto my pan :)

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie March 29, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Dipped in ketchup, bbq sauce, nut butter, whatever–these are amaaaaaaaaaazing! Omg, dying of love right now.

Laura March 29, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Thank you for this recipe! I always make them WAY too soggy.

Tina H. March 29, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Thanks for the tutorial, Tina.

I found a recipe on the food network for spicy sweet potato fries that is delicious. Here it is in case you or your readers are interested:

Kristin March 29, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Hey Tina –

I cant find you on Pinterest!! I’d love to check out your food and fitness boards…where are you??

Kristin

Tina March 29, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Search for Carrotsncake! :)

Emily March 29, 2012 at 8:08 pm

I LOVE sweet potatoes and would eat 2-3 a week. I recently had to get blood work done and the Dr. said I had the highest levels of beta carotene he’s even seen! He asked if I was orange! I’ve been so scared to eat them ever since because I’m now paranoid I look like an oompa loompa. I’ve tried to cut back to one per week, but it’s so hard! Have you noticed a change in your skin color?!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 29, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I usually cut mine in circles or half moons… but I’m digging the wedge idea!

md March 30, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I follow the same process as you, but I always pop them in the microwave for a few minutes first to help speed up the oven time. Love, Love sweet potatoes!!!

sherri March 30, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Thank you for this!!!!! I’d been wanting to ask!!! I tried making them a couple weeks ago, but I had a bad problem with them sticking & tearing up. I had used olive oil, but when I went to shake them around they were already stuck. I am going to try again and will cutting them like you and will try canola oil as someone else suggested.

Kat @ Balancing Kat March 30, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Thank you for the reminder! I have 2 lbs. of sweet potatoes in my pantry that I forgot about and I didn’t have a plan for them. Trying this recipe now! :)

Melanie April 1, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Thank you for posting your recipe! Broiling makes such a difference YUM :)

Christina April 2, 2012 at 9:11 am

Tina – made these last week. Added a little cayenne pepper – delish!! Thanks again :)

Stefanie July 2, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I just made these and they are amazing! My husband and I loved them. I am going to have to make sweet potatoes a regular in my diet. I had never thought to try them until I saw how yummy they always looks on your blog.

Annette Gomez August 21, 2012 at 11:49 pm

OMG…Just made these and they are YUMMY…thanks for sharing!!!

Tina August 22, 2012 at 12:15 am

Awesome! :)

Amber September 20, 2012 at 3:33 pm

How many wedges do you usually eat at a time?

Nikki October 22, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Um, your page comes up before Paula Deen’s recipe for sweet potato fries on Google…that’s pretty badass:-)

Tina October 22, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Oh, yea?!? Cool!!

Julia January 24, 2013 at 10:57 am

I didn’t know the skin was edible! Do you think it works better like that? Have you ever peeled them first?

Tina January 24, 2013 at 11:00 am

I’ve never tried them peeled. I don’t want to miss out on the fiber… and I’m just lazy! :)

Katie March 26, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I’m making these right now! I decided to try coconut oil instead since I just got my first jar ever yesterday!

Steph July 29, 2013 at 11:57 pm

These are delicious, thank you for sharing! I have tried making sweet potato fries before, but they never turned out the way I wanted. So, I was a little skeptical, but these turned out great!

Hayley October 22, 2013 at 2:12 am

Thanks for the great recipe! I didn’t have a broil setting on my oven, but they still turned out pretty good. I loaded mine up with salt haha. Deliciousness.

Mili January 28, 2014 at 4:02 pm