• Embarrassing Hair Trends

March 9, 2012

After many months, I’m finally getting my hair cut and colored this afternoon. It’s gotten super long, so the color is totally faded (read: brassy orange) and the ends are dead and crunchy. It’s just not a good look, so I’m really looking forward this appointment.

Since getting my hair done is one of the highlights of my day (as well as tackling  Workout 12.3 this evening), I decided to write about some of the embarrassing hair trends I’ve participated in over the years. I also figured some of you guys might be able to relate, so I think it’ll be fun!

In elementary school, I had a big thick layer of bangs (and super cool mismatched earrings). I thought it was a dorky look, but it’s actually kind of cute.

1810

These years also included side ponytails, big bows, and Scrunchies.

2012-03-09_07582012-03-09_0753_001

Middle school brought about the “Body Perm” for me, which I remember begging my mom for months and months to have done to my hair. She finally agreed, and I spent hours at the salon with tons of tiny rollers and disgusting, smelly chemicals in my hair. When it was all set and done, I thought I looked so cool, so guess it was worth it?

(I’m on the bottom middle of the pyramid—check out that sweet Body Perm!)

2012-03-09_0753

By junior high, my perm grew out, and I pretty much wore my hair straight and long. On occasion, I’d break out the hot rollers for special events, such as the 8th grade semi formal. (Wow, look at that farmer’s tan!)

2012-03-09_0752

Unfortunately (or fortunately?), I don’t have photos of the other hair trends that I participated in over the years, but I will admit to having the following at some point in my life:

Big, curled, hair sprayed bangs.

80s_bangs

Hair wraps.

hairwrap2

Kool-Aid-dyed sections of hair. (During my “grunge” years, I spent a lot of time hanging out at The Garage in Harvard Square.)

Lake Bell

And, not a hair style per se, but definitely related to hair trends: “fashion” hats.

1813

Hey, I really liked the TV show Blossom back then!

1812

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was Overnight Oats in a Jar and a glass of iced coffee with Sol sunflower beverage.

In the mix: oats, banana slices, coconut milk, ground flaxseed meal, dried blueberries, chia seeds—and a lot of Barney Butter!

2012-03-09_0810_001

Creamy iced coffee!!

What hair trend/fad are you most embarrassed about today?

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 9, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I had a perm in middle school as well. I thought it was really cool…I don’t think it actually was for me. And then I had the hair-cut gone wrong, where the lady cut it WAY too short. I cried for days!

Megan @ Megan's Munchies March 9, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I have to admit that I have had just about every trend you mentioned!

Amy @ Nourishing Power March 9, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Oh boy! :) I definitely partook in some big hats with even bigger flowers stuck to the front! There was an unfortunate part in my life when I was about 10 and somehow ended up with a modified mullet.. Really terrible…

Julie Kim @ Orcas Health Journey March 9, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Hahaha your pictures are very cute ;)

I had my hair permed when I was in 5th grade, and my mom decided it’ll be “cute” to cut it to my shoulder length before perming…

I had a broom hair for about good 8 months

Christine @ Joggin' Happy March 9, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I (though I) rocked every single one of those trends in addition to 2 very short and un-flattering cuts I decided were a good idea after getting a “Styles on Video” from a kiosk at the mall!! Remember those things? lol

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 9, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Probably the hair wraps – eww!

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 9, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I definitely loved hair wraps! Everytime we were on vacation I begged my mom to let me get one and then I’d keep them until they grew out. So gross!

Lauren March 9, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Oh gosh, hair wraps, beads and srunchies. I also used to dye my hair with lemon juice all the time thinking I was giving myself natural highlights.

heidi March 9, 2012 at 1:22 pm

when i was in middle school i thought it would be cool to get a perm. I had bad roots from using sun-in one summer and was a total frizz-fest. Thankfully it all grew out.

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed) March 9, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I totally rocked the thick curled and hair sprayed side bangs. It was awesome. Or not. Ha!

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter March 9, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Oh my lord did I have some awful hair! I did the perm, the mullet, long and straight, and now very very short. :) I just got my hair cut today too! :)

I love to look at old pictures of hairstyles and giggle… :)

Justine Duppong @ Life With Cheeseburgers March 9, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Hmm, I can relate more than I’d like to admit; my mom always did my hair. I’ve had uber-short bangs and perms that were crosses between poodle and grandma hair!

The last oopsy was when my husband (then-boyfriend) called while I was trying to dye my hair red. I didn’t want to tell him what I was doing so I left it on too long and–well I think you can imagine what the result looked like ;)

Alaina March 9, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Oh gosh, I don’t think it was a hair trend but growing up my hair was a frizz machine! I couldn’t for the life of me get it to be smooth. Then sometime in college, my hair just became easier to manage. And now I think it’s the thickest it’s ever been. I did try for the whole bright, blonde, thick streaks in my hair. Meh. I like having my normal color now. :-)

Alyssa March 9, 2012 at 1:51 pm

(I wonder if we ever passed each other in Harvard Square…)
    I, too, did the perm in junior high, and even into high school. As a child of the 80’s,I have more embarrassing hair moments than i can remember. But the Shmullet is one (basically a she-mullet. Oh yes, I rocked that in 1985!)

You look very cute in all hose photos!

Chelsea March 9, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I need a haircut so badly!! my color is fine but my hair is just so long and one length and it gets tangled in 5 seconds!! It’s a heavy mess…Take a pic of your new do, i need some motivation to get mine cut!!

Wendy Irene March 9, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Definitely the high curled bangs!

Anna March 9, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Oh gosh at first I was gonna say a toss up between the hardcore bangs or the perm (twice!!!). Then I remembered my cut in 8th grade where everyone mistook me for a teacher…in middle school I was soo embarrassed by it!

Hillary March 9, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I have really, really curly hair, and my mom thought it was a great idea to give me bangs in elementary school. It was not a good idea. Not at all.

Nicole March 9, 2012 at 2:28 pm

You look like Blossom in the last picture! When I was really little my mom would tape a bow on my head-I didn’t have enough hair for a bow and I looked like a boy!
    Then I had a mushroom/bowl cut through about 3rd grade and then my mom started giving me home perms. Ugh! Bad memories. I had that bad short hair cut with a shelf in the back.
    The funny thing is, about 5 years ago I was getting my hair cut and the stylist told me I have naturally wavy hair – as an adult stylists always wanted to straighten my hair.

j3nn March 9, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I rocked perms back in the day. As well as lots of hairspray, gel, and every other 80s and 90s straggly look, from ponytails with lots of split ends, haha. I don’t miss my hairstyles of the past!

Olivia March 9, 2012 at 2:34 pm

All the pink, red, blue black, black, and blonde hair dye phases I went through. Now I keep it natural.

Jackie Wilson March 9, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I had “Bon Jovi” hair my junior year of high school (’88) and had a long rat tail my freshman year of high school (’86.) I don’t regret a thing! LOL

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves March 9, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Good luck on 12.3! Can’t wait to hear how you did!

honeywhatscooking March 9, 2012 at 3:12 pm

my hair was sooooooooooooo curly, my mom got so sick of it that she braided my hair and i’d go to school with 2 braids that would NEVER move.
    so annoying. I envied my white friends. :-)

Brie March 9, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Good luck with the third Open WOD! We did it this morning and my hands are on fire from all the push presses and toes-to-bar. Oof.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 9, 2012 at 3:19 pm

My worst hairdo was a high side pony tail with a huge floppy velvet bow in it. Ugh it was awful! :P

Alyssa March 9, 2012 at 3:19 pm

How do you feel about those feathers that people are putting in their hair now?

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama March 9, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I totally rocked the body perms. It was so freeing to let my hair be straight after that horrible phase. I also was a fan of hats except mine were from Debbie Gibson. I loved her so much and wanted to be just like her!

Maureen March 9, 2012 at 4:16 pm

If asked which of the above hairstyles I have had, my answer would be “all of the above.” I love looking back on old picture to laugh at the hair AND clothing styles!

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction March 9, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Hahaha, it’s so funny to look back and see what kind of hairstyles and clothes we used to wear when we were younger. My mother is a hairdresser so I had the luxury of having her do my hair. I remember once she gave me a boyish haircut that I HATED so much….it took SO long to grow out and I remember it taking FOREVER to grow out! I’ll never cut my hair short ever again!

Joss March 9, 2012 at 8:12 pm

the perm! And dying my hair platinum blonde (it turned orange)…

both ruined my hair! Left it all dry and crunchy!

Chase - the CHASE project March 9, 2012 at 8:17 pm

These pics are hilarious! Love it :)

Gladyxa: Happily Curvy March 9, 2012 at 10:33 pm

I can’t wait to get my hair done next week! I have curly, brown hair but my brown gets ‘red/orange’ and that’s not a good look. Murphy looks so happy on your lap, dogs make the best accessories ;)

Jess March 9, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I’m fairly positive I wore the same exact dress to my 8th grade dance too. Hilarious.

Ashley March 9, 2012 at 11:10 pm

I think we had the same sequence of hair events throughout life thus far.

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie March 9, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Oh boy. Definitely “too short bangs.” Let’s hope those photos never see the sunlight ever again. They’re best left in history ;)

meghan @ struggle muffins March 10, 2012 at 7:43 am

Love this! I mostly just had long straight, un-styled hair but every once in a while I’d convince my mom to rock the DJ Tanner from Full House look on me, which basically involved creating ridiculous wings of hair that framed the face. Awesome. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-CFcw_rh0XPA/TbcG1sJLeFI/AAAAAAAABXQ/0ogzqJyDRtk/s320/m361e73900000_1_31740.jpg

Lee March 10, 2012 at 9:03 am

Haha, this is awesome. I always wanted to do the hairsprayed bangs thing but it never worked with my curly hair. I remember in middle school (in the early 90s) blowing on my friend’s bangs every day before class so her hairspray would dry.

Laura March 10, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I was a proud owner of the Dorothy Hamill haircut. And that was before I became a figure skater.

Carolyn March 10, 2012 at 10:10 pm

Is there a difference between how you make regular Oats in a Jar, and OVERNIGHT Oats in a Jar? I feel like there is, but whenever you link overnight oats in a jar, it takes me to your regular Oats in a Jar recipe. Just curious! Do you cook the oats first, for the overnight oats? Or just let them soak in the water/milk?

Amber K March 11, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I have pictures of me in elementary school where my mom gave me a mullet. She claims it was a shag or something. No, it was a mullet.

becca @ bellebottoms March 13, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Oooh I HATED my short hair/pouf bang combo! Ouch! It’s just painful to look at!