• Early Bird Special

March 28, 2012

In college, my friend Katey and I often used to hit up the dining hall a little after 5 o’clock for dinner—mostly because we wanted to avoid the crowds, but also because we were old ladies, who enjoyed the early bird special. Nearly a decade later (seriously, how is my 10-year college reunion this May!?), I’m still a big fan of the early bird special.

Dinner

On the menu for dinner last night: Make-Your-Own Quesadillas.

IMG_2098 (750x563)

In the mix: whole wheat tortillas, shredded cheddar cheese.

IMG_2091 (750x563)

Red and green bell pepper, tomatoes, cabbage, and chicken.

IMG_2092 (750x563)

I added a little of everything (and a lot of cheese) to my quesadilla.

Yummmmmm! I have to admit the cabbage was sort of a weird addition to my quesadilla. I actually ended up picking it out because it just didn’t jive with the other flavors. Oh, well, it was still fun to give it a try!

By 5:34 PM, I was sitting down to dinner and Bethenny Ever After. Hooray for the early bird special!

After dinner, I enjoyed a piece of toast with sunflower butter and butterscotch chips for dessert.

Feel Great Weight: Nutritious Springtime Recipes

Spring arrived early in the Northeast this year, and when the warm weather rolls around, healthy eating comes easier for me. With fresh fruits and vegetables flourishing and widely available, not much preparation is needed for the deliciously nutritious and often low-calorie meals and snacks in my diet. From salads to smoothies, check out this slideshow a few of my favorite springtime recipes!

What time do you normally eat dinner? Are you a fan of the early bird special?

P.S. I’m hosting a Larabar giveaway on Trading Up Downtown! Lots of new NuVal scores!

Haleigh March 28, 2012 at 11:55 am

I don’t think that I could ever eat dinner earlier than 8 pm. I usually have a snack around 4:30-5:00 to hold me over. I like to relax a little bit after I come home, and then start to cook dinner.

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter March 28, 2012 at 11:56 am

I would love to eat by 5 or 5:30, but it’s mostly after 6 or 7, which I hate, but my job sometimes requires me to work until those times.
    Yummy dinner! :)

Colleen @ Culinary Colleen March 28, 2012 at 12:24 pm

During the weeknights, I like to eat immediately after work. Something about leaving work makes me ravenous!! On the weekends though, I eat absurdly late (9 at the earliest). I should probably come up with a better schedule, right? :)

Hillary March 28, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I could eat dinner at 5 or 5:30 every night, but I usually wait until 6. Whenever I go to FL to visit my grandparents, I am ALL OVER the early bird special!

Rachelle March 28, 2012 at 1:05 pm

My friends and I usually go to the cafeteria about 5:10. This is when there is a break between the 4:30 and 5:30 college student rush :)

Maureen March 28, 2012 at 1:06 pm

We have always had dinner between 5:30 and 6pm, but I am trying to get in the habit of eating a bit later now. When we eat early, I tend to snack after dinner…not good!

Ashley @ The North Carolina Cowgirl March 28, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I always eat dinner around 5:30 everyday. I don’t think I could wait any longer to eat. My days start at 5:30am and I normally eat breakfast around 8, Lunch around 12:30 so by 5:30 I’m starved. It’s funny you bring this topic up too. My b/f and I bicker about dinner time a lot. He thinks I’m the only person in the world that eats early and most “normal” people eat around 7 or so. Ha..he was wrong!

Megan @ Weddings and Workouts March 28, 2012 at 7:29 pm

You eat the yummiest food! When I was growing up we always had dinner at about 5.30 because my Dad was so hungry after work.

I don’t have it until about 7 – 7.30 now because I go to the gym after work.

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop March 28, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Ha! I live in NJ, home of the local diner. My hubs and I used to regularly go for the early bird specials. It was like $10 and their food at the one near us was actually high quality! So we went all the time, around 4:30. Yep, we’re old too.
    ~Ang

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner March 28, 2012 at 9:20 pm

My husband and I are like an elderly couple already. We frequently go to dinner around 5pm. Last Friday we went to dinner at one of our favorite restaurants at 7:30 and it was super packed which kind of sucked. We felt really justified for our early bird special habit!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 28, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I usually eat around 6:30. But if for some reason I have skip my afternoon snack, then I definitely eat an earlier dinner around 5!

Sarah S. March 29, 2012 at 10:30 pm

My husband doesn’t get home from work until 6:30 or 7, and it is a non-negotiable that if he will be eating at this house, we eat as a family (sometimes his work requires him to shmooze other people at dinner). Sadly, because I’m so highly distractable and looney while I make dinner by that time, it can be as late as 7:30 or 8 before we actually sit down. (I much prefer to sit down by 7).

Joy March 30, 2012 at 8:28 am

I’m a huge fan of the early bird special – I can’t eat too much after 5:00 or I’ll pay for it with a night of no sleep and stomach pain