• Birthday Shenanigans at Owl Station Bar & Bistro

March 5, 2012

So, I have a new favorite sushi restaurant: Owl Station Bar & Bistro in South Boston. I honestly loved everything about it. The food, atmosphere, and service were all excellent. In fact, I enjoyed my time at Owl Station so much, I’m already planning another visit very soon.

Last Saturday night, I had the pleasure of celebrating Elizabeth’s 30th birthday at Owl Station with a fabulous night of sushi, sake bombs, scorpion bowls, and the coolest cupcakes I have ever encountered in my entire life.

I was a little worried about how this meal would jive with my recent digestive issues, but I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to celebrate the big 3-0 with Elizabeth. I ate slowly, didn’t consume alcohol (except for a few sips of scorpion bowl), and avoided any “roughage” and fried foods (for the most part), and, thankfully, my intestines cooperated!

2012-03-05_0930_001 (542x289)

The meal started with a bunch of appetizers shared among the table: edamame, pork gyoza, fried calamari, and tataki (thinly sliced raw fish).

My favorite appetizer of the bunch was the vegetable dumpling gyoza. I’m not exactly sure what was inside (I assume more veggies), but they were quite tasty. I highly recommend them.

After the appetizers came a feast of sushi. It just kept coming and coming, and I loved it all. It was a lot of fun trying so many new flavors and tastes.

The Volcano Maki was by far my favorite roll of the night. It’s deep-fried seaweed wrapped around crab meat, shrimp, avocado, asparagus with spicy tuna and tobiko on top. Holy yum.

I filled up quite a bit on the sushi, but when it was time to sing ‘”Happy birthday” to Elizabeth and a parade of larger than life cupcakes were served to the table, I knew I needed to make some room in my stomach for dessert.

IMG_0862 (900x675) (2)

Nick had some special sushi-inspired cupcakes made for Elizabeth’s birthday from Sweet Tooth, a nearby bakery in Southie. They were absolutely adorable and so creative. Nick had them made in vanilla, chocolate, and red velvet flavors. I dominated a red velvet one and finished 3/4 of it!

After sushi cupcakes were sake bombs, which I did not participate in, but enjoyed watching very much. Everyone was having a blast!

After dinner, we headed back to Elizabeth and Nick’s condo for some more birthday shenanigans. I also got to see my favorite French bulldog, Clark.

The night ended with a few birthday trust falls. Love it!!!

Good times! Happy birthday, Elizabeth!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh March 5, 2012 at 11:50 am

Looks like a great time and I’m so glad your body cooperated for you to be able to enjoy the evening! Cute poochie and awesome cupcakes!

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 5, 2012 at 11:51 am

Those cupcakes are awesome!!! Good thing they didn’t taste like sushi though 😉

And what a cute dog, I love frenchies!

SkinnyRunner March 5, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I LOVE those cupcakes, so cute. i want to have a birthday part now. and i would totally buy the cupakes myself. does that make me lame?

Kait March 5, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I just ordered from there last night and it was delicious and not overly expensive at all! I got the chicken udon noodles and it had tons of veggies and chicken! New fav sushi spot in Southie!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio March 5, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I love it!! Happy birthday to Elizabeth!

Megan @ Megan's Munchies March 5, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Wow! Now that is the way to celebrate turning 30!!!

Khushboo March 5, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Sushi in dessert form- does it get any better that!!!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 5, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Looks a fun way to ring in being 30! :) Those cupcakes are awesome!

Bridget March 5, 2012 at 12:32 pm

That was one of the funniest and funnest nights I’ve had in a while!! Sake bombs!!

Tina March 5, 2012 at 12:38 pm

@Bridget: Haha! Me too! We need to go out again soon, so I can sake bomb with you guys! :)

Bridget March 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Well I’m already craving that sushi again so just name the time 😉 @Tina:

Elizabeth March 5, 2012 at 3:23 pm

@Bridget: I am down for more sushi and crowd surfing. Scorpion bowls? Never again! 😉

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 5, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Looks like such fun night!! And those cupcakes are awesome! :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 5, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Those cupcakes are totally adorable! and all that food looks absolutely amazing, I haven’t had sushi in ages!

Anna, fitscally responsible March 5, 2012 at 1:01 pm

It all looks so good! Sushi is our go-to celebration dinner. In fact, we got engaged last Thursday and went out for sushi to celebrate!

Mandi @ Miles and Mascara March 5, 2012 at 1:04 pm

That looks like SUCH a fun night! Oh man, I love some good sushi, too! Makes me want some for dinner…

I’m glad you’re feeling better! :)

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming March 5, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I love the sushi inspired cupcakes! I did a double take and had to re-examine these :)

The dog is soooo cute! It looks like you had a wonderful celebration with friends and so happy to hear your stomach didn’t act up!

Jen March 5, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Is that some form of jumping? Before my SIL had my nephew there was a late night game called “Jumps” where we’d leap off her counter into the sea of friends. Similar to the picture shown above :)

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 5, 2012 at 1:30 pm

SO fun! Those sushi cupcakes are adddooorrraaabbblllee!! YUMM

Cait's Plate March 5, 2012 at 1:31 pm

All that food looks so delicious – and glad your tummy held up okay!

Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 5, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Those cupcakes are adorable! I am glad your stomach cooperated and you were able to enjoy your night! :-)

Ellie@Fit for the Soul March 5, 2012 at 1:39 pm

what a fun night! And omgshhhhh love all the foods….*drooling* that tuna tataki looks especially amazing.

Kerry @ Totes My Oats March 5, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Clark is so cute! My brother and his faience have a Frenchie. Those Veggetable Dumplings look great – the dough looks green, was it a spinach dough?

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 5, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Those cupcakes look amazing!

Melissa (Melissa Likes To Eat) March 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Love the cupcakes!! Nice touch! Glad you guys were taking the sake bomb job seriously and placing the sake on chopsticks over the glass. Good looking out! :)

andrea March 5, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Your husband bears an uncanny resemblance to damian lewis….lucky you, he’s a hotty!

erica March 5, 2012 at 2:00 pm

i LOVE those sushi cupcakes! so adorable! :)

Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 5, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Oh my word, that sushi looks delicious! I absolutely LOVE sushi!

Lenna@lennalivinglight.blogspot.com March 5, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Those sushi cupcakes are the best idea ever! A little hard to DIY but i’m inspired!

Michelle (Better with Berries) March 5, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Love your friend’s gray sparkly top – so cute!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 5, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Those cupcakes are so cute! I need to try making something like that for my friend’s birthday – she’s obsessed with sushi so she would LOVE them! 😀

Deb @ wiseupslimdown March 5, 2012 at 10:48 pm

That sushi looks incredible. Now I am craving it!

Such a cute picture of Murphy!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie March 6, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Whatever they are, those sushi rolls + gyoza sure are pretty!