• Birthday Shenanigans at Owl Station Bar & Bistro

March 5, 2012

So, I have a new favorite sushi restaurant: Owl Station Bar & Bistro in South Boston. I honestly loved everything about it. The food, atmosphere, and service were all excellent. In fact, I enjoyed my time at Owl Station so much, I’m already planning another visit very soon.

Last Saturday night, I had the pleasure of celebrating Elizabeth’s 30th birthday at Owl Station with a fabulous night of sushi, sake bombs, scorpion bowls, and the coolest cupcakes I have ever encountered in my entire life.

I was a little worried about how this meal would jive with my recent digestive issues, but I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to celebrate the big 3-0 with Elizabeth. I ate slowly, didn’t consume alcohol (except for a few sips of scorpion bowl), and avoided any “roughage” and fried foods (for the most part), and, thankfully, my intestines cooperated!

2012-03-05_0930_001 (542x289)

The meal started with a bunch of appetizers shared among the table: edamame, pork gyoza, fried calamari, and tataki (thinly sliced raw fish).

2012-03-05_1001

My favorite appetizer of the bunch was the vegetable dumpling gyoza. I’m not exactly sure what was inside (I assume more veggies), but they were quite tasty. I highly recommend them.

After the appetizers came a feast of sushi. It just kept coming and coming, and I loved it all. It was a lot of fun trying so many new flavors and tastes.

2012-03-05_1003

The Volcano Maki was by far my favorite roll of the night. It’s deep-fried seaweed wrapped around crab meat, shrimp, avocado, asparagus with spicy tuna and tobiko on top. Holy yum.

I filled up quite a bit on the sushi, but when it was time to sing ‘”Happy birthday” to Elizabeth and a parade of larger than life cupcakes were served to the table, I knew I needed to make some room in my stomach for dessert.

IMG_0862 (900x675) (2)

Nick had some special sushi-inspired cupcakes made for Elizabeth’s birthday from Sweet Tooth, a nearby bakery in Southie. They were absolutely adorable and so creative. Nick had them made in vanilla, chocolate, and red velvet flavors. I dominated a red velvet one and finished 3/4 of it!

2012-03-05_1005

After sushi cupcakes were sake bombs, which I did not participate in, but enjoyed watching very much. Everyone was having a blast!

2012-03-05_1005_001

After dinner, we headed back to Elizabeth and Nick’s condo for some more birthday shenanigans. I also got to see my favorite French bulldog, Clark.

2012-03-05_1027

The night ended with a few birthday trust falls. Love it!!!

2012-03-05_1029

Good times! Happy birthday, Elizabeth!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh March 5, 2012 at 11:50 am

Looks like a great time and I’m so glad your body cooperated for you to be able to enjoy the evening! Cute poochie and awesome cupcakes!

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City March 5, 2012 at 11:51 am

Those cupcakes are awesome!!! Good thing they didn’t taste like sushi though ;)

And what a cute dog, I love frenchies!

SkinnyRunner March 5, 2012 at 12:07 pm

I LOVE those cupcakes, so cute. i want to have a birthday part now. and i would totally buy the cupakes myself. does that make me lame?

Kait March 5, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I just ordered from there last night and it was delicious and not overly expensive at all! I got the chicken udon noodles and it had tons of veggies and chicken! New fav sushi spot in Southie!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio March 5, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I love it!! Happy birthday to Elizabeth!

Megan @ Megan's Munchies March 5, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Wow! Now that is the way to celebrate turning 30!!!

Khushboo March 5, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Sushi in dessert form- does it get any better that!!!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 5, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Looks a fun way to ring in being 30! :) Those cupcakes are awesome!

Bridget March 5, 2012 at 12:32 pm

That was one of the funniest and funnest nights I’ve had in a while!! Sake bombs!!

Tina March 5, 2012 at 12:38 pm

@Bridget: Haha! Me too! We need to go out again soon, so I can sake bomb with you guys! :)

Bridget March 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Well I’m already craving that sushi again so just name the time ;) @Tina:

Elizabeth March 5, 2012 at 3:23 pm

@Bridget: I am down for more sushi and crowd surfing. Scorpion bowls? Never again! ;-)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 5, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Looks like such fun night!! And those cupcakes are awesome! :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 5, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Those cupcakes are totally adorable! and all that food looks absolutely amazing, I haven’t had sushi in ages!

Anna, fitscally responsible March 5, 2012 at 1:01 pm

It all looks so good! Sushi is our go-to celebration dinner. In fact, we got engaged last Thursday and went out for sushi to celebrate!

Mandi @ Miles and Mascara March 5, 2012 at 1:04 pm

That looks like SUCH a fun night! Oh man, I love some good sushi, too! Makes me want some for dinner…

I’m glad you’re feeling better! :)

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming March 5, 2012 at 1:18 pm

I love the sushi inspired cupcakes! I did a double take and had to re-examine these :)

The dog is soooo cute! It looks like you had a wonderful celebration with friends and so happy to hear your stomach didn’t act up!

Jen March 5, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Is that some form of jumping? Before my SIL had my nephew there was a late night game called “Jumps” where we’d leap off her counter into the sea of friends. Similar to the picture shown above :)

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife March 5, 2012 at 1:30 pm

SO fun! Those sushi cupcakes are adddooorrraaabbblllee!! YUMM

Cait's Plate March 5, 2012 at 1:31 pm

All that food looks so delicious – and glad your tummy held up okay!

Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life March 5, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Those cupcakes are adorable! I am glad your stomach cooperated and you were able to enjoy your night! :-)

Ellie@Fit for the Soul March 5, 2012 at 1:39 pm

what a fun night! And omgshhhhh love all the foods….*drooling* that tuna tataki looks especially amazing.

Kerry @ Totes My Oats March 5, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Clark is so cute! My brother and his faience have a Frenchie. Those Veggetable Dumplings look great – the dough looks green, was it a spinach dough?

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 5, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Those cupcakes look amazing!

Melissa (Melissa Likes To Eat) March 5, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Love the cupcakes!! Nice touch! Glad you guys were taking the sake bomb job seriously and placing the sake on chopsticks over the glass. Good looking out! :)

andrea March 5, 2012 at 1:59 pm

Your husband bears an uncanny resemblance to damian lewis….lucky you, he’s a hotty!

erica March 5, 2012 at 2:00 pm

i LOVE those sushi cupcakes! so adorable! :)

Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 5, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Oh my word, that sushi looks delicious! I absolutely LOVE sushi!

Lenna@lennalivinglight.blogspot.com March 5, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Those sushi cupcakes are the best idea ever! A little hard to DIY but i’m inspired!

Michelle (Better with Berries) March 5, 2012 at 9:27 pm

Love your friend’s gray sparkly top – so cute!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 5, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Those cupcakes are so cute! I need to try making something like that for my friend’s birthday – she’s obsessed with sushi so she would LOVE them! :D

Deb @ wiseupslimdown March 5, 2012 at 10:48 pm

That sushi looks incredible. Now I am craving it!

Such a cute picture of Murphy!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie March 6, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Whatever they are, those sushi rolls + gyoza sure are pretty!