• Baking Tips to Health-ify Your Favorite Recipes

March 1, 2012

I’d seriously kill for a warm, gooey chocolate chip cookie and a cold, creamy iced coffee right now. Wah. I miss tasty food!

I can’t say that I’m feeling all that much better this morning, but things have definitely settled down a bit on the intestines front. I ate dinner (and “dessert”) with no major issues and I almost slept through the entire night without an episode. Yay! Little victories, people. Chocolate chip cookies and iced coffee will be mine soon enough!

Dinner

Dinner was a winner: gluten-free angel hair pasta with chunks of chicken breast and truffle oil spritz on top.

The pasta sat well, so I ate a little something sweet after dinner, which also went down with no issues: gluten-free waffle with peanut butter. Delicious! I’m so glad peanut butter and I are friends.

Feel Great Weight

One of my favorite hobbies is baking. I find it relaxing, even calming, and of course, I love the end result: warm, delicious, gooey baked goods. I know a lot of people associate baking and sweets as something that can’t be incorporated into a healthy diet, especially when you want to lose weight, but I knew that I couldn’t eliminate dessert forever, so I started to “healthify” my baking with lower-calorie and more nutritious ingredients so I could still enjoy these treats.

I used to be intimidated by baking because it’s more of an exact science than cooking, but even with simple swaps and adjustments the recipes still taste delicious. Here’s how I “healthify” my baking.

Do you “healthify” your baked goods or do you think a tasty treat should be just that with full fat, sugar, and deliciousness?

P.S. Remember Laura who wrote a guest post about her experience with Paleo? She’s also a wellness couch and is offering her Paleo Challenge for just $10 with the code CNCPaleo!

Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real March 1, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I also love to bake, so I end up trying to healify my baking so our family can enjoy the treats without indulging to much on fat and sugar. I healify banana bread, blueberry muffins, cookies, cupcakes, etc. At Christmas, I baked full-fat/full-sugar cookies for the first time in over a year… and they were wonderful. I also don’t skimp when I bake birthday cakes for my family. However, my healthified baked goods hold me over between those special occasions.

Anna Lynn March 1, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I try to healthify my baking…key word try. Subbing different kinds of flour, using applesauce instead of butter/oil, etc and the results are never 100% fool proof. I have yet to come accross a “healthy” dessert recipe I realllyyyyy like or maybe I just haven’t been that successful thus far? I’d love to make a “healthy” dessert that EVERYONE likes because most I make taste, well…healthy…and no one wants a healthy tasting dessert, right?!

Carrie Purchase March 1, 2012 at 5:52 pm

I think that healifying is great, but I think its best to eat clean always and then have a full on cheat every once in awhile to shock the system and satisfy the cravings!

Deb @ wiseupslimdown March 1, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I seriously cleaned up my diet about 8 months ago and if I crave something sweet I might go for a yogurt with fresh fruit or I bake a banana or apple with a little cinnamon and honey. I used to have a sugar pig out once a month in which I could easily put away 3 home made creme brulees and a few chocolate bars. Now I can’t bring myself to do that to my body anymore. And sugar sets me off….if I eat a little it turns into a lot so I try and avoid it.

One good thing that came out of having Celiac for me is that I can’t just pick up a bag of chocolate chip cookies. I have to eat gluten free cookies and they are so darn expensive that I rarely buy them

Deb @ wiseupslimdown March 1, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Aren’t the Van’s waffles the best? I think the gluten free kind taste better than regular waffles. Never tried it with a nut butter. Looks delish!

Michelle (Better with Berries) March 1, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I love to bake – sometimes I healthify my recipes, but most often when I’m baking something, it’s a dessert I REALLY love and don’t enjoy that often. So I like to leave the recipe just as it is :-)

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin March 1, 2012 at 9:22 pm

It depends on the reason that I’m baking! If I’m baking something for a birthday or holiday, I tend to just stick with the original recipe. But if I’m baking something that I intend to eat as snacks or if it’s for a health-conscious friend, I’ll healthify it!

Sarah March 1, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I sub in banana or apple sauce for half the sugar and the end result is every bit as delicious.

Luvwhatyoudo March 1, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I definitely mix it up…when baking for company or a crowd, I go for the ooey gooey richness. When I am playing around in the kitchen with a new bread or cookie, I like to sub in some whole wheat flour or different sugar alternatives. It makes things tasty and fun!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 1, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I always try to “health-ify” my baked goods because I don’t want to feel ANY guilt over it. And honestly, if I can make something taste just as good (if not better) than the original and have it be healthier for me, why wouldn’t I do it? I mean honestly?

Serena March 1, 2012 at 11:43 pm

I substitute some apple sauce for a lot of the oil in banana bread and add less sugar. Still delicious!