• A Nomination & Digestion-Friendly Foods

March 5, 2012

Exciting news! Carrots ‘N’ Cake was nominated for “Best Healthy Eating Blog” at Fitness Magazine! Woohoo! What an honor.

2012-03-05_1145

If you have a minute, I’d LOVE for you to vote for CNC. It only takes a few seconds! Pretty please?

Breakfast

I woke up craving nut butter this morning, so I toasted up a couple of gluten-free waffles (FYI: the Nature’s Path brand is amazingly delicious) and spread Teddie peanut butter on one and Barney Butter on the other and topped both waffles with banana slices.

IMG_0952-2 (900x675)

And, the best part about breakfast: ICED COFFEE! I missed you, lover.

IMG_0954-2 (900x675)

I’ve actually been drinking iced coffee all weekend with no stomach issues. Coffee just doesn’t upset my digestive system (unless I drink like three huge glasses in one day).

Lunch

Lunch was a turkey and cheddar cheese sandwich on toasted gluten-free bread.

And steamed spinach, which I spritzed with truffle oil and sprinkled with truffle salt.

Snack

A couple of hours after lunch, I snacked on a Paleo Pumpkin-Walnut Muffin with a little bit of almond butter spread on top, and then I made a delicious coconut milk beverage with caramel-flavored flax oil, which might sound sort of strange, but it was really tasty—and, hopefully, healing on my angry intestines.

Ever since this whole colitis flare went down last week, I’ve spent hours and hours online learning more about the disease. Colitis is not thought to be caused by diet, but what you eat may ease sysmtoms by reducing inflammation in the colon. Some research has showed that flaxseed oil, along with fish oil and probiotics, for example, have helped to improve some ulcerative colitis symptoms. Coconut oil and coconut milk were also mentioned a number of times. I figured it couldn’t hurt to try these foods, so I made myself a little snack with some of them this afternoon.

In the mix:

• 1.25 cups coconut milk
    • 1 tbsp Royal Harvest Caramel Flax Oil
    • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    • 1 tsp honey
    • Handful of ice

I know we’re all different, but for those of you who struggle with “digestive issues,” which foods do you find have a more positive affect on your system?

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt March 5, 2012 at 8:51 pm

You got my vote! Congrats on the nomination.

Lauren @ Vaguely Vegan March 5, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Wow…sometimes I feel like I’m all alone with digestive issues, but it’s a relief to see that so many others struggle as well. I struggled for years with stomach issues and at the suggestion of a nutritionist eliminated all dairy products from my diet about 2 years ago. It definitely helped! I think many people have dairy issues but don’t even realize it. I also agree that cooked veggies are much easier on my stomach than raw, and bananas and peanut butter are absolutely a mainstay!

Lily March 5, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Congrats on the nomination!! I voted :)

Jane March 5, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Wow, healthy indulgence! Gotta register to FitnessMag and vote for you Tina!
    ‘Cmon guys let’s vote!

Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet March 5, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Congrats. I am so voting!!! For me with digestive issues, the best thing is too avoid all the foods (corn, wheat, sesame seeds, walnuts and peanut butter). To ease any stomach issues I like to eat white (not brown!) rice, Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Pizza Crust, Oatmeal, Protein Pancakes made w/ oats, plain-ish yogurt (sans Vanilla due to cornstarch) and soy milk. Those seems to help neutralize any tummy issues I get :)

Kindal March 5, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Congrats on the nomination! Foods that help me feel better include: coconut milk, sprouted bread and oatmeal. Foods that upset my stomach and make me feel bloated for whatever reason: nut butters and whey. Too bad I love peanut butter way too much to say no.

jodie March 5, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I have a lot of digestive issues but I find pineapple, papaya, peppermint and ginger helps me a lot.

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner March 5, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Dairy is the absolute worst for me, and it took me a long time to really limit my dairy consumption to an amount that doesn’t cause GI problems. I have assumed I’m lactose intolerant for a few years now, but I’ve been looking into my symptoms more recently and suspect I have IBS. I’m too poor to visit a doctor for now, but I think I am controlling it well with my diet. When I’m eating lots of fruits, veggies, and beans, not much meat, and almost no dairy, things are much happier!

Sheila March 5, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Congrats on the nomination! Voted for you:)

Cecilia March 5, 2012 at 10:35 pm

It’s hard to know what foods are okay with my digestive issues (reflux and IBS). I find I’m eliminating more foods than I can eat these days. Originally I was told to avoid yogurt but I feel like my daily (or 2 or 3) Chobani helps. And I won’t give up coffee either! I’m avoiding most gluten though some seems to be okay like white bread and pancakes. White rice, chicken, applesauce, bananas, canteloupe, carrots…all okay. Right now most everything else is not!:(

Nicole March 5, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Hi,
    I would HIGHLY recommend looking into Dr. Stephen Wangen out of Seattle. He established the IBS treatment center. He also has published a few books on the topic.
    After many years of visiting different Drs, trying different medications, and walking away with a diganosis of IBS….which is just a symptom of an underlying issue, I went and saw Dr. Wangen (after hearing him speak at a seminar on Celiac). After a stool and blood sample we were able to identify a few different food alergies, and a parasite of all things!
    I understand and can relate to what you are going through. It really feels so debilitaing. I truely believe though that you have to be willing to experiment and figure your body out. With the help of Dr. Wangen I can honestly say I haven’t had pain or “issues” for over 3 months.

I really hope you find your solution soon! Best wishes!

Laura March 5, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I was diagnosed with colitis last year and it can be a struggle to learn how to live with it and to see what works and what doesn’t in terms of eating and routine. I think it’s different for everyone, but I met with a dietician who told me I should avoid dairy products (I’ve always had sensitivities to them), raw vegetables and salads, popcorn, pineapple and a few other things. It’s something to do with the type of fibre in raw veggies that can be irritating to people with digestive issues (insolulable fibre), but other types of fibre, like soluable fibre, which can be found in oatmeal, all bran buds, some granola bars and a bunch of other foods can actually be beneficial. So far I’ve found this works for me, but then there are always the days it just flares up for no reason. It can be overwhelming at first, so I definitely know what you’re going through.

Laura @ She Eats Well March 5, 2012 at 11:39 pm

I’ve had lots of digestive issues, mainly IBS (figure this isn’t TMI). Honestly, perhaps what helps me is the opposite of what will help you :). I drink a ton of water, put flaxseeds in smoothies/oats, and I find a high protein diet, gluten-free keeps me feeling my best. I hope you feel much better soon!

Megan @ Megan's Munchies March 5, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Congrats on the nomination! Well deserved!!!

I have had digestive issues for years! I finally discovered through allergy testing that I have some food allergies and intolerances. When I limit those, I feel much better.

Khushboo March 6, 2012 at 12:00 am

Congrats on the nomination! Fortunately I haven’t found any foods which give me digestive issues but too much of cows milk makes me feel bloated!

Sarah Kay hoffman March 6, 2012 at 12:39 am

I, too, have colitis. My entire blog is around how I “cured” my colitis with food and not the meds (ie. suppositories) doctors told me would help. You are right, food does not “cause” colitis, per se. But a colitis flare up has absolutely everything to do with food and other lifestyle factors including things like: stress, work, relationships, etc. I wish you well on your journey. I’ve devoted several years to this. I am so thankful for the place I currently find myself.

Casie March 6, 2012 at 1:53 am

Congratulations on the nomination! And sorry to read about your digestive troubles. No fun at all, I can certainly vouch for that.

I’m currently trialling low/no fructose plan after months and months of feeling and looking 5 months pregnant, I finally seem to have curbed the bloat and excess gas (nasty!).

I’m partially lactose intolerant too, just means I can’t have more than one latte per day.

Nicola March 6, 2012 at 6:30 am

Tina – I thought of you whilst doing research for today’s blog post. I’ve written about the health benefits of Chlorella and in doing so came across a variety of sources that said Chlorella was used in treating colitis. Worth a shot I think?
    Best Wishes,
    Nicola

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope March 6, 2012 at 8:29 am

I was recently diagnosed with Crohn’s and I’m in the middle of a flair up. So I’ve been sticking to very bland foods such as turkey, chicken, bread, and potatoes. Those seems to be the things that my stomach is okay with. The combination of medications that I’m on does not seem to be working. I’m going for a second opinion next week and I hope they can help. It’s frustrating.

I’m glad to hear you are feeling better :)

Missy March 6, 2012 at 9:01 am

I voted! Good luck!

Mary March 6, 2012 at 9:24 am

Hey,
    I have a different type of tummy troubles, diagnosed at age 18 with non-bacteria related ulcers. About 95% of ulcers are caused by the H.Pylori bacteria but mine were caused by some other abnormality in my digestive system. Because they could not figure out the cause they suggested diet changes along with an acid reducer. Flax Oil Smoothies, plenty of soluble fiber, and no grains or wheat. 8 Years later i’m still doing great, i’ve had to limit my alcohol and fat consumption but as long as i’m eating the right foods I almost never have problems. I truly believe that even though it’s not fun to cut out our favorite foods or be “that girl” at the party that doesn’t drink, it’s worth it to be healthy. They warned me that my diagnosis carried along with it a increased risk of esophageal cancer if I didn’t take care of myself. That was all the motivation I needed to be more conscience of my body and learn to live a new normal routine. Hope you find your new normal!
    Mary

Charissa Hogeland March 6, 2012 at 10:24 am

I found out lat year that I’m Celiac. At first, yogurt helped, but then as I cleared out gluten, I’ve been noticing that Dairy upsets my allergies a lot. Honestly, Peanut Butter and Oatmeal are my two favorite feel-good foods. I also really love Sweet Potatoes and Eggs.

Laura WL March 6, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Peppermint tea, sparkling water, probiotics and a little baking soda in water all help when I am having digestive issues. My dad (who has had digestive problems his whole life) can’t eat any fruit except apples but I eat fruit pretty well, as long as it’s not too much (more than 3 servings in a day). I also can’t drink very much beer (which I like a lot :-() or bread (which I’m sort of meh about). I also find too rich of dairy (like too much cheese or ice cream) can mess me up and too much sugar as well, so I try to only eat a small to moderate amount of dairy, beer and breads.

Wendi @ A Southern Yogi March 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I have some serious digestive issues – not as bad as having colitis – but mine is more nausea & then, some other things that go along with that. I’ve been studying yoga & we started learning about Ayuervedic health and eating. I’m just now learning about that but it seems to make sense and is really interesting. We’ll see how my tummy responds!

Amber K March 6, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I have to say that coconut definitely helps me! I’ve been drinking cultured coconut milk (a great dairy-free alternative to kefir!) and it has really helped. I was accidentally “glutened” the other day and instead of the 4-5 days it usually takes for me to get over it, it only took 2 and a half-ish days. Prebiotics and probiotics help lessen my pain as well as cutting out my trigger foods, unfortunately which are some of my favorites. But if I want to feel better I know I need to pay more attention!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie March 6, 2012 at 9:41 pm

Interesting idea on the coconut milk + flax oil smoothies! I wonder if that would work well with evoo….could be weird?