• Upbeat Tweets

February 14, 2012

Happy Valentine’s Day, friends!

If you didn’t already enter my Valentine’s Day Scavenger Hunt, you have until Friday morning to do so. There are some really awesome fitness prizes up for grabs! You definitely want to enter!

I’ve recently gotten into the habit of reading magazines (as opposed to books) in bed before I fall asleep. Last night, I was perusing the March issue of Real Simple and stumbled upon an interesting clip about a study that found people’s tweets on Twitter to be the most upbeat between 6 A.M. to 9 A.M.

6 A.M. to 9 A.M.

The time when we feel the most upbeat—or so say our tweets. A study in the journal Science analyzed the Twitter feeds of 2.4 million people in 84 countries. The findings: Users are in good spirits in the morning. That’s when the words agree, awesome, and super (or their foreign equivalents) are tweeted most often. Things go downhill as the day progresses, bottoming out between 3 P.M and 4 P.M., when annoy and afraid saturate cyberspace. What a tangled (worldwide) web we weave!

I thought this was really interesting, so I did my own informal, small-scale study this morning. I looked a 20-minute block of time on my Twitter feed and searched it to see if any of those upbeat words, mentioned in the study, appeared in the tweets of the 1,230 people I follow.

2012-02-14_1001

Surprisingly, the words agree and awesome didn’t show up at all and super did only once. I was kind of bummed with these results, so I tried some other positive/upbeat words, including good, great, and amazing, to see if they showed up. Here’s how many times each of them appeared in tweets:

• Fantastic: 0
    • Amazing: 0
    • Nice: 1
    • Great: 3
    • Good: 4
    • Best: 4
    • Sweet: 7
    • Love: 27
    • Happy: 28

Of course, the words love and happy were related to Valentine’s Day, but, on a few occasions, they referred to non-Valentine’s Day topics. For example, some of the loves described things people liked (i.e. I love coffee) and one of the happys was part of a tweet that wished followers a “happy and healthy day.” Kind of cool, right? It was an interesting little experiment.

If you’re on Twitter, do you find that your tweets are more upbeat in the beginning of the day? If you’re not on Twitter, do you find that you’re more upbeat in the morning or as the day progresses?

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was “Oatmeal” Minus the Oats with a massive scoop of peanut butter. None of our bananas were very ripe, so I smushed one up (in the peel before peeling it) to use in my breakfast.

I also drank an iced coffee with soy milk with breakfast.

I’m off to find a red dress!

See ya for lunch!

Angela February 14, 2012 at 11:02 am

I love reading magazines before bed too – it’s one of my guilty pleasures and I never get tired of them! About the tweeting, I think I’d probably agree with that statement. I work out in the early AM and I know a lot of people do too, so I think part of the positive tweeting probably has to do with people that are still loving their endorphin rush!

Kadye February 14, 2012 at 11:06 am

I love that 6 am is the morning time for happiest tweets. I’m (hopefully) still asleep at 6 am so no happy tweets from me! Ha! Although, I do find myself more upbeat after being up for about 10 minutes. Mostly because throughout the day there are certain people I deal with (bad drivers, people at school, etc.) that can drag me down. So I can totally see that!

Theodora February 14, 2012 at 11:06 am

God, I can’t believe bananas only came up once.

Mindy - clueless nut February 14, 2012 at 11:13 am

Happy Vday! My morning breakfast involved bacon hearts, mmmmm.

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 14, 2012 at 11:14 am

It’s nice to see that people are waking up with positive attitudes toward the day.

Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe February 14, 2012 at 11:17 am

Interesting – I find I’m more positive on twitter than other social media outlets (especially facebook) – twitter makes me love people I’ve never met, while Facebook makes me annoyed with people I know.

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio February 14, 2012 at 11:21 am

Tweets are definitely the most positive in the morning. I think it’s a good and a bad thing. It shows that most of us start the day on the right foot…. but we don’t end it on the same foot.

Ashley February 14, 2012 at 11:23 am

I think I’m definitely more upbeat in the morning, right after I’ve had my coffee. ;)

Pam February 14, 2012 at 11:29 am

I like this better than oatmeal!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 14, 2012 at 11:43 am

The 3 o’clock slump makes some sense to me, because I know that’s when I’m in desperate need of coffee and not too pleasant. The 6-9 may put people around their workouts, so the endorphins are talking? Either way, it’s an interesting study!

katie @ KatieDid February 14, 2012 at 11:45 am

hmmm interesting topic, I think a lot of people definitely feel more optimistic and energized during those hours of the day, myself included.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 14, 2012 at 11:47 am

I always read mags before bed :D

Stephanie @ Food and Fitness 4 Real February 14, 2012 at 11:51 am

I love that you smooched up your banana before putting it in your “oatmeal” for breakfast. You must have LOVE on the brain this Valentine’s Day!

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter February 14, 2012 at 11:53 am

Happy valentines Day! Good luck with finding your dress!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 14, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I LOVE the a.m. –so yes, I think I am my most upbeat then :) This was super funny and interesting to read about.

Good luck with the red dress shopping!!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 14, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Oooo a red dress! Sounds like fun! And I do tend to have happier tweets in the morning, unless the weather here in Chicago is awful!

Sneakers2Sandals February 14, 2012 at 12:25 pm

That made me laugh! Maybe today was a bad day to do it because it’s valentines day and we’re all hopefully having a leisurely morning with our loved ones (and not worried about twitter)!

Sneakers2Sandals February 14, 2012 at 12:25 pm

@Sneakers2Sandals: I didn’t mean to sound like you shouldn’t have done the investigating! I just re read what I wrote and that’s what it kinda sounded like. I meant I’m glad you did the test but I hope you’ll try it again on a non-holiday day!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats February 14, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I still need to try your Oatmeal Minus the Oats! It always looks so good.

RunEatRepeat February 14, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Yes! I think it’s true about the tweets. I complain too much about getting tired in the afternoon…

Mandi @ Miles and Mascara February 14, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Maybe the reason people are so upbeat in the morning is because they haven’t had to deal with the rest of the world yet! ;-) Only kidding! I like to stay upbeat and keep my public rants to a minimum. I don’t want to be “the downer.” Good luck finding the perfect red dress!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 14, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Yes! Twitter messages are ALWAYS so much more upbeat in the morning! They’re all “good morning!” “Ready to start the day!” while later, they change to “Ohhh, this day is dragging!” or something like that.

Lexie @ This Aussie Eats February 14, 2012 at 1:01 pm

If i need some extra workout motivation to get going in the morning I always turn to twitter! Being in Arizona, most of my followers on the east coast have already finished their workouts for the morning and are tweeting positive vibes. The time difference really works in my favor come 5am :-)

Olivia February 14, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone!

I loveeeeee twitter. I am always tweeting everywhere I go, especially while watching my fave TV shows and whatnot and connecting with others who love them! I would honestly say though, my tweets are a mix and I can be positive any time of day, usually in mornings it’s not super positive if I have to get up super early though – haha – or if it’s bad weather!

Lindsey February 14, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I agree morning tweets are upbeat but I also find the 4-4:30pm tweets to be very upbeat too when its almost home time!

Sarah (I Dream of Beets) February 14, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I love the idea of a red dress. Alas, my resolution was no more dresses this year. Boo hoo.

Laura February 14, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I think in general I am more upbeat in the mornings, mostly because no one has annoyed me yet :)

Becca @ Blueberry Smiles February 14, 2012 at 1:21 pm

Cute heart-shaped placemat!

khushboo February 14, 2012 at 1:29 pm

So true about the tweets..I am always the most upbeat first thing in the morning- probably bc I am on an endorphin high!

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com February 14, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Since I am at work around 7 I dont often check twitter at that time but I know i personally am more upbeat in the morning. Sometimes after lunch the day just drags and all I want to do is leave the office. By 6pm, forget it, I am in sweats and totally ready to just snuggle on the couch and call it a night…
    yes I am a 89 year old in a 24 year old body!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 14, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Interesting…it definitely makes sense and mimics how my attitude usually progresses (or declines I guess) as the day goes on.

Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 14, 2012 at 3:34 pm

love the heart placemat!

Chels R. February 14, 2012 at 4:19 pm

haha I am definitely the chipper morning tweeter for sure.

Happy Valentine’s Day to you!!

JessicaE February 14, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I mash up my bananas that way too!!