• Treadmill Workout: 10K Challenge

February 3, 2012

So, I haven’t been doing a great job following my 8-Week Half Marathon Training Plan, but I’m going to try to do better in the coming weeks. I thought I could handle 5 days of CrossFit + 3 training runs each week, but I’m now realizing it just isn’t going to happen—at least not right now. (Maybe it’s something to work toward in the future?) My new workout schedule will probably be 4 days of CrossFit + 2-3 training runs each week. I think I can handle that. We’ll see how it goes!

I was actually planning to go to CrossFit tonight, but my upper back and shoulders are still sore from Tuesday’s workout. (Wall-Climbs are my nemesis!) So, instead of having a mediocre workout tonight that could potentially leave me exhausted for tomorrow’s WOD, I’m skipping tonight’s class and starting fresh tomorrow. Plus, Saturday’s workouts are always a blast, so I don’t want to miss it.

Workout

A 10K was on my training schedule for today, so I hit the treadmill for a sweaty workout. It was a lot of fun and really challenging. I love those kinds of workouts.

2012-02-03_1428

I liked this treadmill workout because it started out at an easy pace and built speed every 1/2 mile. By mile 4 or so, the speeds started to get pretty challenging, but I kept telling myself:

only 3 more intervals

only 2 more intervals

only 1 more interval

Which helped me mentally motivate and pace myself by breaking down the run into smaller parts. I also reminded myself that I wasn’t running that much faster on each interval, so I knew I just needed to keep trucking along. Plus, the faster I ran, the quicker it would be over! When I hit 6 miles, I picked up the pace and sprinted to the end. I love finishing strong. I also love this workout (if you couldn’t tell)!

I finished 6.2 miles in 52:34, which was an average pace of 8:28, and my fast 10K ever. I beat my current PR by 41 seconds! Woohoo!

Snack

Before heading to the gym, I snacked on a banana.

Pug-nocchio!

IMG_0005 (800x600)-3

Ok, it’s an old joke, but I still think it’s funny!

IMG_0002 (800x600)-2

Lunch

After my workout, I threw together a quick lunch: deli ham + provolone cheese with guacamole on whole wheat bread. On the side: salad with truffle oil and balsamic vinegar. Quick, easy, delicious.

IMG_0008 (800x600)-2

Snack

A few hours later, I snacked on another banana, but this time with a scoop of almond butter. I guess it was a two banana kind of day. < —- TWSS?

I’m off to walk the pug, and then I plan to sit on the couch and drink wine for the rest of the night.

Happy weekend, friends!

Lindsey February 3, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I love switching up my speed on the treadmill every few minutes, even going 5 mins at the same speed drags for me!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 3, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Switching up the speed on the treadmill is how I keep my sanity. I can’t keep a constant pace, too boring!

Banana and nut butter has been my go to snack lately. So good!

TeenyLittleSuperChef February 3, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Hahahaha, that picture of Murphy just made my day. Who knew he was such a liar! I think I may have to steal this idea and use it on my pupper. Hope you don’t mind. He tends to tell little fibs all the time and I think it’s time I called him out on it :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb February 3, 2012 at 3:52 pm

amazing run!! i’m so impressed with your dedication to the treadmill — i just can’t seem to power through the boredom. i’m an outdoor kind of girl :)

Sarah @ allinadayseating February 3, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I just wanted to say I thoroughly have enjoyed reading through your blog and I like the motivation I feel seeing the meals you eat! You actually inspired me to start my own blog to document my journey! Thanks and congratulations on ll you’ve accomplished and continue to accomplish!

Sarah

Cm @ Lazy Healthy February 3, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Good for you for listening to your body. I know it’s always a delicate balance for me.

JessieB February 3, 2012 at 4:05 pm

There are many things I like about this post, but I REALLY like your hard wood floors! Classic New England home beauty!

Cait's Plate February 3, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I literally laughed outloud at that joke…both times. So you know, I think you’re okay to use it a few more times ;)

It’s definitely a two banana kind of day…or two coffee kinda day if you’re me!

Joss February 3, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I am loving your plan for tonight…couch+wine = amazing ;)

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 3, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Great workout!

I find that I have to do intervals on the treadmill (even if they’re not fast) just to break up my run. Otherwise I get too bored!

Megs February 3, 2012 at 4:20 pm

3-4 days of Crossfit and 2-3 sport specific workouts are what Crossfit Endurance recommends. So you are good :-)

Try to make sure at least 2, better if 3, are more strength based and/or less than 12min metcons. Sometimes u need to adjust the workout for your goals so maybe its half the rounds at a heavier weight or its less reps and heavier weight, etc.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 3, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Ok, it might be old, but still hilarious. Or maybe it’s just Friday after a LONG week and I’m punchy ;)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 3, 2012 at 5:48 pm

That’s an impressive run! I did something similar today, but with my 4 mile run! I love getting faster and faster during the last mile, because half of me wants to get it over with and the other half wants to see how far I can push it!

Laura Jane @ Recovering Chocoholic February 3, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I think treadmill workouts like that can go by faster than a solid run at the same pace. I also tell myself things like that to keep myself going. I’m on week 4 of the couch to 5k program right now, and I had to laugh when I read that 6.5 mph was a nice, easy pace. 6.0 mph feels almost like a sprint to me right now! Something to work toward, that’s for sure.

Kelly @ Vegolosophy February 3, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Man, your split intervals are fast! That is so awesome, I definitely would love to be able to work up to that kind of pace! Enjoy your weekend :)

Lena @Fit on the Rocks February 3, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I’m sitting in a semi-quiet Starbucks, and I just burst out laughing when I read pugnocchio. People can look at me like I’m crazy, but they’re the ones missing out haha

Olivia February 3, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Wine. I could reallllly use some but I don’t have any at home!

Megan February 3, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Love your plans for the evening…and of course the pug!

Ricole Runs February 3, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Wow that is soo much Crossfit, how ambitious, I am impressed. Way to go on the 10k! Your evening sounds lovely and I think I will do the same. :-). Happy weekend to YOU!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 3, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I need a treadmill!! My legs are getting flabby!! Thats not good!!

Sarah February 3, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Love your plan for the night! My sister is running the Boston marathon and she also does Crossfit…. It has been challenging but she has determined that Crossfit works for her twice a week… She is gaining strength while not tiring. The rewards of working out/running feel so awesome… When you really love those endorphins it is difficult to rest… Believe me I know! It seems as though as you continue with Crossfit and running you begin to be more increasingly intuitive with what works for you mentally and physically. I really love that you have found something that drives you ton push yourself so hard! Very inspirational :)

ash @ http://peacehappinessyoga.blogspot.com/ February 3, 2012 at 9:42 pm

great job with the cross fit and training!

chelsea February 3, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Your treadmill 10k PR is fast as my race 10k PR! I need to give that workout a go haha! My problem is I always hop off the sides on treadmills when I start to get boreddd…

Michelle (Better with Berries) February 3, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Definitely saving that workout – probably for later though. I don’t think I could handle those speeds yet!

Meghan February 3, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Thanks for this 10K outline! I’m nursing an injury and have to keep to the treadmill for a while. I’ve a half marathon scheduled in 3 weeks… so I am definitely trying this tomorrow at the gym to keep my fitness up.. sounds like a great workout!

Ilene February 3, 2012 at 9:57 pm

You definitely motivate me both with my eating and exercising.

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs February 3, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Love the Pug-nocchio pics! :)

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee February 3, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Good job on your PR!!! That’s so cute what you did there with your dog. Teehee. Happy belated blog birthday! :)

Khushboo February 4, 2012 at 1:15 am

Wow great workout- I love switching up the speeds on the treadmill..I’d lose my mind running at a steady state!

Sarah@The Flying ONION February 4, 2012 at 8:18 am

Switching speeds keeps things interesting! Great workout plan. :D

(great snackage too…yum!)

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 4, 2012 at 8:53 am

I LOVE switching the speed up–makes the time FLY by!

Katryn February 4, 2012 at 9:56 am

Hahaha, TWSS….love it.

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie February 4, 2012 at 11:06 am

Haha to the TWSS. Love bananas ;)

jane February 4, 2012 at 11:45 am

i have been meaning to ask for a while. I am so confused by your picture on the top left of your blog. it looks like you have a pool chair strapped to your back. LOL. what is that behind you?! i always try to figure out what is going on and just can’t!!!

Lindsay February 5, 2012 at 4:10 am

I’m glad you gave yourself a break after the tough workout~ it’s so hard for me to admit when my body is tired at times, I just want to push through! But I have a better chance the next day if I take it easy:)

Katy February 5, 2012 at 10:44 am

I’ve never tried a treadmill work out. I’ve been so bored lately with running miles on the treadmill and outside that I think Im going to make this my Tuesday work out. Thanks for the idea!

Amy February 5, 2012 at 11:16 am

I love your treadmill workouts, Tina! Keep em coming!

Jessica @ Early AM Runner February 5, 2012 at 11:32 am

Pug-nocchio! HA! Can Murphy start blogging because he’s HILARIOUS!

Kristin February 6, 2012 at 12:05 am

Recently, I’ve been loving all your Crossfit posts. I’m dying to try it!!