• Top 12 in 2012: February

February 28, 2012

I know there’s still one more day of February (yay, leap year!), but I decided to post the next edition of my Top 12 in 2012 a day early—mostly because I don’t think anything that happens today (i.e. doctor’s appointment, toilet time, laying in the fetal position cursing my intestines) will make my Top 12!

Here’s January’s Top 12 in 2012 post, just in case you missed it.

How to Gain Support While Losing Weight

When I was losing weight, I heard a lot of comments from my family and friends about my new healthy habits. I knew they cared about me, but these comments often made me feel uncomfortable and even angry at times. Instead of getting upset with everyone, I got serious about my goals and looked to a few strategies to help me drop the pounds once and for all. Here’s what I did, and what can help you too.

Reader Request: Running Music

IMG_0041-362x500

The other day, I received the following email from a reader: Hi Tina, I recently re-laced the sneakers to start running again to train for the Warrior Dash (3.3 miles). My question is can you do a post on running music? Blog post on running music? Your wish is my command!

Four Years

2012-02-03_0751

Did you know that February 3rd is National Carrot Cake Day? It’s also the day that I published my very first post on Carrots ‘N’ Cake. Quite the coincidence, right? I guess it was meant to be! On February 3, 2008, Carrots ‘N’ Cake was born. Four years later, she’s still kicking! Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

A 9-5 Commitment

When I decided to lose weight, I worked full-time in an office where I sat at a desk for 40 hours each week. I also worked part-time at a healthclub and took night classes to complete my Master’s degree. Monday through Thursday, I’d leave my house at 5:00 AM and not return until after 10:00 PM. Obviously, my schedule was a challenge, but I knew if I started to make excuses, I’d never lose the weight, so I toughened up and created a fail-proof plan that helped me drop more than 20 pounds. See what helped me, and how it can work for you too.

Why I Love the Treadmill

Treadmill [n.]: A torture device perfected in the 20th century, designed to destroy one’s mind through sensory deprivation and monotony. Mark Remy, runnersworld.com executive editor, in The Runner’s Rule Book Ok, I understand why the treadmill gets a bad rap. It can be pretty boring, but I enjoy it, especially in the winter and for [...]

Bob Harper Interview: All About CrossFit

BOB_HARPER (614x800)

Do you remember when I had the opportunity to interview Bob Harper and, to my surprise (and delight), more than half of his responses were about CrossFit? Well, apparently, for the past several months, Bob Harper has been training at BRICK CrossFit in Los Angeles, where he has been rockin’ the WODs and absolutely loving it. So, when the folks, who represent both BRICK and and Bob Harper’s Smart Success Products, contacted me a couple of weeks ago, I was all about asking them for an interview. I wanted to hear more about Bob and his love for CrossFit!

A Dog’s Purpose

_MG_3467 (640x426)

Ok, this post might be a little cheesy, but I thought this story (forwarded to me via email) was so adorable and had such a great message, I just had to share it with you guys. I know the dog lovers will especially enjoy it.

How Do You Know You’re Getting More Fit?

404381_255538201188071_159556434119582_582365_1351951110_n

I’m still bouncing around between Level 1 and Level 2 workouts, and I don’t think prescribed ones are in my future for many more months, but I’m seeing some real progress in my physical abilities. I’m stronger, quicker, and tougher. I could barely do a Level 1 workout when I started CrossFit, and now I’m knocking on the door of prescribed workouts. Booyah. I’m an animal!

One Tired Dog

We have one tired dog on our hands today! Yesterday, Murphy had a blast playing with our friends’ dog all afternoon and then Batman in the evening, so he tired himself out and has no energy today. But, in typical Murphy fashion, he doesn’t want to miss a thing around the house, so he’s been been fighting to stay awake all day long.

Bananas!

_MG_7318 (900x599)

I am so cool. Actually, if you knew me in real life, you’d know that I’m rather awkward and pretty goofy. Mal actually thinks it’s one of my most “endearing” qualities, but he married me, so he says nice things like this. He knows the truth deep down. Anyway, here’s a story that exemplifies just how “cool” I am.

Brussels Sprout and Chicken Pizza with Parmigiano Reggiano

Pizza3 (533x800)

Ahhh, this is so cool!! Remember when I mentioned my special recipe project with Whole Foods? Well, here’s my WholeFoods.com recipe debut: Brussels Sprout and Chicken Pizza with Parmigiano Reggiano! I should have known it would be a pizza recipe! I <3 pizza. Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Learning How to Control My (Sugar) Cravings

IMG_0350 (675x900)_thumb[2]

There was a time in my life when I ate way too much sugar. In fact, some days I’d “save” my calories just so I could binge on sweets later. So much, in fact, that I experienced crazy mood swings and terrible breakouts because of all of the sugar I was consuming. Clearly this wasn’t the best way to shed pounds. I knew something needed to change, so I decided to take control of my cravings once and for all. Here’s what I did.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat February 28, 2012 at 8:25 am

I love the extra dog-related posts this month. ;)

KerriAnn February 28, 2012 at 8:26 am

Good Luck at the doctors today! Remember if you want, I have a great GI in Needham. He deals with my running/obsessiveness so you’ll be a breeze for him!

Tina February 28, 2012 at 8:29 am

@KerriAnn: Haha! I might take you up on your offer. Thanks! My doc kinda sucked last time, so we’ll see how today goes!

Sabrina February 28, 2012 at 8:30 am

Good luck today! i hope you find some answers!

And I also love those two dog posts!!

Tina February 28, 2012 at 8:31 am

@Sabrina: The one of Murphy falling asleep still makes me LOL! :)

Ali @ Peaches and Football February 28, 2012 at 8:31 am

Take it easy and get some R&R. Hope you’re feeling MUCH better tomorrow. Good luck at the Dr’s.

Tina February 28, 2012 at 8:33 am
    Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 28, 2012 at 8:52 am

Good luck at the doctors today! I hope you get some answers. :) GI problems are so frustrating! I can totally relate.

Caitlin @ Cake with Love February 28, 2012 at 9:06 am

Good luck at the doctor, hope you get better soon. My fovorite posts from the list are the 9 to 5 commitment, CrossFit, Bananas (it was funny) and the Pizza recipe!

Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life February 28, 2012 at 9:06 am

My favorite posts were the 9-5 commitment and the sugar cravings topic! I definitely work on controlling my sweet tooth every day! Good luck at the doctor Tina, thinking of you and sending good vibes your way! :-)

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 28, 2012 at 9:16 am

Good luck today!! I loved all these posts–you rock :)

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] February 28, 2012 at 9:50 am

Really hope your appt. with the doc is helpful today. CNC was full of fitness & FUN this February, thanks for sharing again :)

Khushboo February 28, 2012 at 9:54 am

Good luck at the doctor!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh February 28, 2012 at 9:57 am

Hope all goes well with the doc today. Be proactive, this is *your* health and if what he says doesn’t jive with how you want to handle it, don’t be afraid to get a 2nd opinion. ;-)

Cait's Plate February 28, 2012 at 10:31 am

I love this idea! It’s good to always remember to be grateful for the good things. But ugh – I do hope you get better soon, I can’t even imagine. You’re such a trooper for handling it the way you do! I mean…96 burpees in 7 minutes during a colitis flare?!?! You rock my socks off ;)

Christine February 28, 2012 at 10:31 am

Good luck today!! Doggy cuddles + comfy sweats + a chick flick seem to be in order when you get home!

Ashley @ coffee cake and cardio February 28, 2012 at 10:41 am

It was a great month for y’all! I loved the Bob Harper post.

Caroline February 28, 2012 at 10:54 am

I loved your “a dog’s purpose” post :) I may have to repost it myself!

Joss February 28, 2012 at 10:57 am

Good luck today :) You definitely have lots of support from the blog community as well as lots of ladies with similar problems…lots of help to learn from!

Kelly February 28, 2012 at 11:15 am

Hope you feel better soon & get some resolution to your colitis asap! Do you know what your blood type is? Have you ever heard of the book “Eat Right For Your Type”? It’s really interesting & has helped several people I know with gastro issues. Feel better!

deuce February 28, 2012 at 11:33 am

“toilet time”? really, tina?

Tina February 28, 2012 at 11:49 am

Yep, that’s what colitis is all about. It sucks big time, so plan to get through it with humor.

Anna, fitscally responsible February 28, 2012 at 12:32 pm

@Tina: I completely agree. The only way to get through uncomfortable colon/digestive problems is to laugh it off.

Amber K February 28, 2012 at 1:42 pm

@Tina: I agree too. It’s crazy how much my best friend and I have to laugh about our intestinal pains and woes.

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) February 28, 2012 at 11:35 am

Ugh, hope you feel better!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 28, 2012 at 11:53 am

How in the world did I miss that brussels sprout and chicken pizza?! Must go click on that. And hope you’re feeling better soon, Tina!

Anna, fitscally responsible February 28, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I didn’t find your blog until halfway through the month so thanks for catching me up! :)

Some of your posts are very timely for me. I just started my quest to lose that last 15 pounds that makes me fluffier than I’d like, but I get a lot of feedback from friends and family that doesn’t always help. I appreciate that they all think I look great the way I am, but I just don’t feel like I’m the fittest “me” I can be!

(also, I agree with Liz – so glad you brought the brussel sprout and chicken pizza to my attention! I would have been sad to miss that)

good luck at the doctor!

Alyssa February 28, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Wishing you good luck at your appointment and a speedy recovery!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 28, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Hope all goes well today with the doctor. Keep smiling through this uncomfortable time. :)

Great idea in highlighting the month. I enjoyed the treadmill post the first time around. The treadmill gets a bad rap but it can give you an awesome workout.

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness February 28, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I’m on a quest to lose a lot of weight and I had to stop talking about it with my friends and family because they are just pissing me off lately. I hate having every move and every bite analyzed…I know they are trying to help, but I can’t take it.

Laura @ She Eats Well February 28, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Keep your chin up! Laughing is always the best medicine in these types of situations :).

Love the post on 9 to 5…scheduling workouts and also, being a morning exerciser are key ways for me to keep healthy and positive…more than just weight loss, but like, keeping me sane!

Michelle (Better with Berries) February 28, 2012 at 7:47 pm

So glad you mentioned that running music post again! I meant to go through and see if I wanted any new songs and completely forgot!

Amanda Rudd February 28, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Really enjoyed all the recent treadmill workouts. Always looking for a new one!

Meghan February 28, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I love your Top 12 posts – a great way to look back at the month. Hope you are feeling better very, very soon!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie February 29, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Hahaha that bananas post still has me cracking up!