• Super Saturday

February 19, 2012

Hello!

Sorry I went MIA yesterday. I ended up having a jam-packed Saturday, so I never had a chance to sit down to blog. I’m sure you understand how it goes with busy Saturdays!

Breakfast

My morning started with a massive bowl of banana oatmeal made with hemp milk, egg whites, ground flaxseed meal, and a scoop of Teddie peanut butter. Delicious and satisfying as always.

Workout

After breakfast, Mal and I headed out for a workout. It was “Bring a Friend to CrossFit Day” at our box!

I brought my blog friend Mary to the class. The two of us tried to plan a run together over the holidays, but it just never happened, so I invited her to join me for “Bring a Friend to CrossFit Day”. (I think she liked it!) The class was packed! We had over 30 people!

Yesterday’s WOD was a partner workout, so Mary and I teamed up and dominated. We had one of the highest scores of the day (389)—and we didn’t “cook the books” like Mal’s team!

WOD: “Two’s Company”

150 Meter Run

As Many Abmat Sit-ups as Possible

150 Meter Run

As Many Push-ups as Possible

150 Meter Run

As Many Burpees as Possible

150 Meter Run

As Many Air Squats as Possible

150 Meter Run

As Many Medball Slams as Possible

150 Meter Run

As Many Walking Lunges as Possible

Score = total reps

Here’s how the WOD worked: one person ran while the other person did as many reps as possible. So, Mary started by doing the 150 meter run while I did as many sit-ups as possible. When she finished, she tagged me and then I headed outside to run while she did sit-ups. When we both completed the runs and sit-ups, we moved onto push-ups and so on.

Our score was determined by counting both of our reps completed on each of the exercises for a total score. The WOD wasn’t timed, so, if you’re Mal and his partner, this meant going slowly on the 150 meter runs, so the other person could rack up as many reps as possible. Their score was 570 while most people’s scores were in 300’s! I knew something was up when I blew by Mal on the sprints! Ha!

Snack

On the way home from CrossFit, Mal and I stopped at Marylou’s for iced coffees. I ordered a Peanut Butter Wonderful. Delish!

We enjoyed our iced coffees while we cleaned the house, threw in some laundry, and someone registered for their Level 1 CrossFit certification. I’ll give you three clues who it is:

1. It’s not me.
    2. It’s someone who needs a summer job.
    3. It’s someone totally in love with CrossFit (even more so than me).

Yep! Mal wants to teach CrossFit classes this summer at our box, so he’s getting his Level 1 certification this spring. How’s that for the perfect summer job?! He.is.psyched.

Lunch

Mal and I were running late to meet our hometown friends for a get-together, so we grabbed Subway for a quick lunch. I ordered a 6” ham sandwich with lots of veggies and honey mustard.

At our friends’ house, I drank a couple of big (22-ounce) beers: Rogue Dead Guy Ale.

And a Long Trail Coffee Stout, which was wicked good. It had strong, bold flavors of espresso, but it wasn’t overkill or artificial-tasting. It also packed a serious punch with 8% alcohol!

IMG_0150 (600x800)IMG_0147 (600x800)

I also munched on a bunch of cheese and crackers while we played a fun game called “The Game of Things.”

We had a big group of people playing the game, so we were all having a good time and laughing a lot. Before I knew it, I drank both of my beers! Oops! I was having such a blast, I didn’t realize how quickly I was chugging them down. Thank goodness Mal was driving to our next get-together!

The next stop of the day was at my sister’s house for dinner with my cousins and their significant others. I wasn’t planning to drink anything else, but then my sister offered me a Shipyard Applehead Ale, which I’ve really wanted to try. My thoughts about it: meh. Not that good.

At first sip, the Applehead sort of reminded of Harpoon’s Winter Warmer, which I like a lot, but the more I drank it, the more I disliked it. The cinnamon-apple flavor was much too sweet for me, and it totally overpowered the beer. In fact, it didn’t even taste like beer. It was just some weird apple-flavored beverage to me. Oh, well. Shipyard still makes a zillion awesome beers. I just won’t be buying their Applehead anytime soon.

I also snacked on a bunch of tortilla chips with black bean and corn salsa.

Dinner

For dinner, my sister and her husband made a delicious chicken and steak fajita dinner.

With all the fixings!

Yummmmm!

Treats for Murph and Batman!

After dinner, I enjoyed a couple of sugar cookies for dessert.

Mal and I didn’t get home until almost midnight last night, so I face-planted into bed as soon as I walked in the door. Good times! It was a super Saturday!

How was your Saturday?

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) February 19, 2012 at 8:57 am

The best part of Subway is their assortment of fresh veggies. I wish more sandwich places offered those options!

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed) February 19, 2012 at 9:01 am

Sounds like a fun day. Fajita dinners are always the best in my opinion. We spent our Saturday relaxing… went to see Chronicle at the movies (thought it was very weird…would not pay to see it again… but thats just me!), ate lunch at chickfila, home to take a nap, did a little shopping + errands and made a yummy dinner of Pad Thai. :) Great Saturday on our end as well!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 19, 2012 at 9:09 am

I think days where you just don’t have time to blog are the best days! Clearly you had a great time! I had a good, jam-packed saturday too, with my little brother in town visiting!

katie @ KatieDid February 19, 2012 at 9:17 am

Good for Mal that will be such a fun job! Your day sounded so fun, I had a bit of a spontaneous saturday as well with some hiking and mexican food thrown in there, it was great!

Emma February 19, 2012 at 9:20 am

I have a question: when you do runs in CrossFit, do you run inside the box or is there an area for running outside? I’m just picturing a bunch of people trying not to run into each other in that smallish space :)

Tina February 19, 2012 at 9:48 am

Outside! :)

Hilary February 19, 2012 at 9:25 am

Sounds like a great Saturday….and good for Mal for getting his certification! I was a total lazy bum yesterday, but I ended the day by going out for dinner and seeing a local production of Little Women, so that was good.

Shana February 19, 2012 at 9:47 am

@Hilary: Hey friend! Fancy meeting you here!

Hilary February 19, 2012 at 3:36 pm

@Shana: Indeed…always happy to see you around! ;)

Kristi @ Sweetly Fit February 19, 2012 at 9:32 am

I think Mal will be an awesome instructor!! Good for him! :)

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves February 19, 2012 at 9:38 am

I love team/ partner WODS! They are so fun. We often do them on Saturdays at our box.

Shana February 19, 2012 at 9:46 am

I am in love with beer that has chocolate-y flavors in it. Have you ever tried Turbo Dog by Abita? It reminds me of a brownie. A must try!

Tina February 19, 2012 at 11:48 am

That sounds amazing!!!!!!!

tweetie February 19, 2012 at 9:51 am

Oatmeal question…….what do you begin with (raw oats, cooked conventionally?) Trying to transition away from processed cereal and would like to know how you prepare your almost daily bowl of oatmeal. Thanks!

Tina February 19, 2012 at 11:48 am

Check my FAQs for two tutorials! :)

Maureen February 19, 2012 at 10:03 am

What a busy day {full of beer}!! You talking about Cross Fit all the time really makes me want to try it out. I keep waiting for a GroupOn for one of my local Cross Fits! :)

Ann @ Turbo Teacher February 19, 2012 at 10:12 am

Sounds like a great Saturday!! Love Saturdays!!! Cannot wait to try a CrossFit workout asap!!

Mindy - clueless nut February 19, 2012 at 10:16 am

I wish there was a Marylou’s in my area! Iced coffee is my fave- peanut butter iced coffee would be the cherry on top!

Speaking of summer, since I’m so busy this semester, I have decided to do cross fit over the summer holiday after following your cross-fittin’ journey! Can’t wait.

Tina February 19, 2012 at 11:47 am

Nice!! It’s so fun! :)

Khushboo February 19, 2012 at 10:18 am

That’s awesome about Mal and hey free Crossfit for you eventually- win!

Sarah@The Flying ONION February 19, 2012 at 10:25 am

Haha…I love how well behaved and regal Murph and Batman look in that last picture. Too cute. :D

Sounds like an awesome day!! :D

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 19, 2012 at 10:30 am

We bought the game of things for my brother’s fiance on her birthday last year (she’s obsessed with games) and all played it while having a few too many drinks as well. Fun times :)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 19, 2012 at 10:32 am

So cool Mal wants to get certified! If he does, you won’t have to pay for membership anymore!

Tina February 19, 2012 at 11:46 am

He won’t, but I will!

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes February 19, 2012 at 10:33 am

Oh man, I wish I knew someone who did Crossfit so they could bring me!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 19, 2012 at 10:52 am

That does indeed sound like a super Saturday! We had a great Saturday spent with family too. Always a great time!

Anne February 19, 2012 at 11:02 am

the game of things is the best! glad you had a nice (although busy) saturday!

Katy February 19, 2012 at 11:18 am

Sounds like a fun Saturday! Ps:did we find out who won the v-day scavenger hunt yet?

Tina February 19, 2012 at 11:46 am

I forgot to pick them on Friday. Sorry! I’ll get a post up with the winners soon!

Laura February 19, 2012 at 11:37 am
    Tina February 19, 2012 at 11:45 am

LOL!!

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 19, 2012 at 11:41 am

What a fun Saturday and how exciting for Mal!

I also love the Rogue Dead Guy Ale!

Cm @ Lazy Healthy February 19, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I’ve wondered about hemp milk before. I’ve heard it’s a little low in protein, but can be tasty. Is it less nutritious than other non-dairy milks?

Kristen @ notsodomesticated February 19, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Our Saturday was full of lots of moving-related tasks, such as dumping a ton of junk from our house! It’s amazing how stuff accumulates! But then we met up with friends for Mexican last night, and that made it all better! ;)

Molly@RDexposed February 19, 2012 at 12:24 pm

What does it say when 8%beer doesn’t seem high in alcohol to me? Ha. We’ve been trying to figure out when will be the right time for 17% Dogfish Head Fort.

Joss @ Jocelyneatsfresh February 19, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Sounds like a wonderfully busy Saturday :D That is great news about Mal deciding to teach Cross Fit and yum that pb coffee looks great!

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee February 19, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Happy long weekend! Congrats to Mal for deciding to become a CrossFit instructor. That’ll be so fun. The black bean and corn salsa looks EXACTLY like the stuff my mom makes. :) I sometimes eat it not as a dip, but as a salad it’s so good.

Ashley @ coffee cake and cardio February 19, 2012 at 12:40 pm

What a fun and busy Saturday! Congrats to Mal on signing up for certification.

Kayley Ray February 19, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I perked up when I saw that ya’ll played The Game of Things! I played it last night for the first time at my birthday party and was surprisingly good at it!

Angela@ Happy Fit Mama February 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I like busy Saturdays. That leaves time for a low key Sunday.

michelle kim February 19, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Wow! Your Saturday looked super fun and filled with good food and good company. My Saturday also had back-to-back parties (baby shower and friend’s birthday).
    I love how Batman and Murphy sit so nicely for the food! So cute!

Cait's Plate February 19, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Every time without fail that you post the peanut butter wonderful I crave one so badly!!

Allison W February 19, 2012 at 5:38 pm

It always makes me laugh when you say wicked because I’m betting you have an accent yet I have no idea! I just think of my Boston friend saying “art department” when she answered the phone at work.

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 19, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Congrats to Mal!! Teaching fitness is SO rewarding and fun. He’ll love it, I am sure!

Have a good day, Tina :)

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie February 19, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Ahhh the “bed face plant.” Best move ever :)

Mary February 19, 2012 at 9:57 pm

Thanks Tina, I can’t wait to go back! Although I am having trouble walking today…regretting sticking out that wall squat for so long :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 19, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Peanut Butter Wonderful Iced Coffee? DID I READ THAT RIGHT?! I must try!! ;)

Talking Thirty February 20, 2012 at 7:25 pm

I am a little OBSESSED with your sister’s navy and white placemats. I know it’s a little weird to be so taken with placemats, but I just am and I now need to buy them. Do you have any idea where she got them?