• Super Creamy Oatmeal

February 2, 2012

Good morning!

I started my day with a super creamy, super satisfying, and super delicious bowl of banana oatmeal. I used this recipe again, and it was super.

IMG_0005 (800x600)-2

I think I’ve found a winner with this recipe! I also added cinnamon, vitamin D mushroom powder, and two spoonfuls of almond butter to the mix.

Three Questions Thursday

Welcome back, Three Questions Thursday! (Click on the Three Questions Thursday link for ALL of the Q & A’s. My goal for tomorrow is to organize all of these questions on my FAQ page, so please hold me to it!)

I’ve read in your blog that you had some injuries and I was curious as to how you stayed in shape. I figured you might have some great ideas for how to stay strong even in the face of injury. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Injuries are the worst, and I’ve had my fair share of them over the years. Here are a couple of posts I’ve written about how I stayed in shape when I was injured:

How to Keep Up Fitness Levels When an Injury Interferes with Training

How to Lose Weight When You Hit an Exercise Hurdle

Your dedication to Crossfit lately is inspiring. It has got me thinking that I need to try it out. Have you seen results body wise, like inches lost and weight loss? You already look incredible, but the workouts are so intense and unlike anything you have done, I was curious to see how your body reacted.

Great question! After my first month of CrossFit, I wrote this post about the changes I’ve seen. As far as inches lost and weight loss, I’ve actually gained a few pounds—Mal has too! My 2-month CrossFit anniversary is next week, so I’ll have some more updates for you guys then.

What is truffle salt?

Truffle salt is sea salt blended with truffles (mushrooms). It has a rich, earthy, and musty flavor, so I love sprinkling it on dishes for a finishing touch of flavor. Truffle salt goes really well with salads, roasted veggies, eggs, pizza, pasta… pretty much anything to which you want to add a strong, savory flavor.

If you’re wondering what the difference is between white and black truffles, here’s a great explanation. It mostly has to do with where and when they’re grown.

You can buy truffle salt at specialty food/cooking stores like Williams-Sonoma and Dean & Deluca.

Help Support AHA By Sending An E-Card

I love this initiative! Just in time for Valentine’s Day!

1328101960

When you send an e-card from now until the end of American Heart Month on Feb. 29, CanolaInfo will donate $0.20 to the American Heart Association (AHA) up to $20,000!

Just go to http://www.canolainfo.org/heartcard/ and send an e-card to someone you care about. It’s FREE and you can help save lives! Plus, it’s fun because you can pick from design options for the card!

P.S. Have you had a chance to try my Maple Peanut Butter Scones yet? If not, you should! They’re delicious! Also, feel free to vote for it in the Nutty About Yogurt Contest!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed February 2, 2012 at 10:22 am

My family has a history of Marfan’s Syndrome, so the AHA is close to my heart. (pun intended) I love how they get awareness out there!

oh, and anything truffle rocks my life-a place near to me does truffle cheese burgers and oh.mah.gawd. They serve it with this great, tawny porter. I know. SHUTUP it’s so good.

Angela February 2, 2012 at 10:25 am

Ahhh Williams Sonoma… I LOVE going there. But like Whole Foods and Crate & Barrel, it’s a dangerous place for my wallet! I haven’t tried truffle salt yet but thanks for telling us about it!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 2, 2012 at 10:28 am

I have never heard of truffle salt until I noticed you using it on your blog. I’m definitely going to have it check it out. I love browsing Williams Sonoma for seasonings and things of that nature :)

Khushboo February 2, 2012 at 10:32 am

Never tried truffle salt but I love roasting veggies in truffle oil!

Sneakers2Sandals February 2, 2012 at 10:35 am

@Khushboo: me too!!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie February 2, 2012 at 10:34 am

Dying to try truffle salt. Mushrooms are the best :)

Sneakers2Sandals February 2, 2012 at 10:35 am

Thanks so much for answering my question about Truffle Salt. Whenever I go to a restaurant I look through the menu and usually order anything w/ truffle sauce because I love it so much. I’ll definitely be trying the truffle salt. Thanks for article on the different between white/black.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 2, 2012 at 10:41 am

I never knew that truffle were mushrooms! All this time I thought I was fairly cooking-savvy and I didn’t know that–now I feel silly, lol.

Michelle (Better with Berries) February 2, 2012 at 10:42 am

Yum, truffle salt sounds delicious! I might have to make a trip to Williams-Sonoma.

Mallory @ Have your cake February 2, 2012 at 10:44 am

never tried truffle salt. my aunt is obsessed w/ truffle oil so i might have to go pick her up some!

Annie @ Naturally Sweet Recipes February 2, 2012 at 11:09 am

Oh that oatmeal look amazing. I LOVE that bowl. I haven’t heard of the salt before, but sounds awesome!

Lena @ Fit on the Rocks February 2, 2012 at 11:32 am

Ooh thanks! I’ve been wondering where you purchased the truffle salt.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 2, 2012 at 11:37 am

You have me super curious with the vitamin D mushroom powder…I need to read up on that one!

Deirdre @ Oh Well Whatever February 2, 2012 at 11:46 am

I would love to do CrossFit, looks so hard core and fun. I can see it as being very additictive, in a good way!

Jen @ Whittle My Middle February 2, 2012 at 11:56 am

Truffle salt sounds AMAZING! and more affordable than the oil. Bonus.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 2, 2012 at 12:03 pm

I’ll definitely send an e-card! And I’m glad you brought back three questions thursday! I love reading all the questions, and of course your answers!

Lucy February 2, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Why don’t you change the name of your blog to Carrots ‘N’ Crossfit?

Tina February 2, 2012 at 12:26 pm

How clever! Maybe I should?

Julie February 2, 2012 at 5:55 pm

@Tina: Don’t, because you’d be stuck with the name when you move on to the next big fitness fad!

Tina February 2, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Good point. You know, I’m the queen of jumping from fitness fad to fitness fad!

mel February 3, 2012 at 8:49 am

chill out people!!! Everyone changes their workouts up! If not, you and your body get bored and you don’t see changes. I’d rather hear about crossfit anyday over running 20 plus miles because I’m a strength training/interval girl. To each her own.

Kerry @ Totes My Oats February 2, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I need to try those scones, they look amazing!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 2, 2012 at 12:25 pm

That oatmeal sounds great! Happy Thursday :)

honeywhatscooking February 2, 2012 at 12:29 pm

never heard of Truffle salt, heard of Truffle oil and that’s amazing. Your oatmeal looks so yummy and creamy.

Lynn February 2, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I hadn’t looked at your blog in a bit, but the CrossFit stuff is now daily. Are you representing them/paid by them in some way? I also saw your interview with Bob Harper, also all about CrossFit. Just wondering…I do work out this way, and have for quite a while (not CrossFit brand) and love it, too.

Tina February 2, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Nope, I have no connection to CrossFit, except that I’m a paying member at a local box. I just like it a lot.

Christine (The Raw Project) February 2, 2012 at 12:46 pm

The oatmeal looks great! Very interesting on truffle salt, I must look for on my next Whole Foods trip!

Laura @ She Eats Well February 2, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I think a key way to avoid (or try) getting injured is engaging in cross training. I learned my lesson a while back, by overtraining/overrunning. Also, truffle salt is absolutely delish on popcorn.

Kristen @ Change of Pace February 2, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I’ve been wondering about that truffle salt! Bummer I’ll have to make a trip to Williams and Sonoma ;)

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 2, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Your oatmeal looks fantastic!! So much volume!

Hilary February 2, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Mmmm…I have some truffle balsamic vinegar in a spray bottle…it’s awesome
    !

Jamie February 2, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I have gained a few pounds since I took up spinning twice a week. Anybody else experience that? I am a runner and started the spin class to give myself a break. Spinning has tightened my abs and strengthened my legs. ( I can scamper up hills like nothing now! ) But the weight gain? I am kinda surprised. Tina, do you think the switch from running to a new exercise schedule is the cause? Or more muscle gain?

Holly K. February 5, 2012 at 8:14 am

@Jamie: About two months ago I picked up spinning twice a week as well. I used it as cross training for running and definitely fell in love. After some intense sweat sessions on the cycle I thought for sure the scale would be a smiley face and it was a big ole frowny face! $%&@*!!! However, my legs have become much more muscular and I have more energy! So my new theory, forget the scale! I think it’s new muscle gain for muscles you don’t use with running and other workouts. My advice, embrace it and keep on spinning!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 2, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Great initiative from the AHA. Don’t forget tomorrow is Wear Red for Women Day!

Lindsay @ bikingbeforebed February 2, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I had been wondering about the truffle salt… thanks for the explanation! And banana + oats + eggs is such a wonderful combination of foods. I was hesitant the first time I added the egg, but I was pleasantly surprised by the creamy NOT eggy taste.

Jane February 2, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Question: I have been making 1/2 cup oatmeal, mixing it with a large scoop of peanut butter and a full banana. I am quite satisfied after but am STARVING by 1030/11 (I eat this bfast at 730). I am very active; lift heavy weights (I do a spin on cross fit) and also run 2x a week (one short and one long). I have gotten pretty thin so don’t worry about gaining weight, but I feel like that is a very calorie and carb laden bfast! Any advice? Thanks!

Tina February 2, 2012 at 4:57 pm

@Jane: What about adding some whole nuts, an egg, or egg whites?

jane February 2, 2012 at 9:06 pm

@Tina: ill give it a whirl! thanks

chandra February 2, 2012 at 7:52 pm

@Jane: I just wanted to jump in on this because I used to have the same issue and thought I was crazy. If you think about the calories in your breakfast, it’s probably actually only around 350-450. (Figure 150 for 1/2c oats, 100 for a medium banana, 90-180 for 1-2Tbs of PB.) This meal is lasting you about 3.5ish hours, which is about right for the amount of calories, especially since you are so active and your metabolism is likely fairly high. This isn’t a “scientific fact”, but I’ve found that more often than not, the number of hours a meal keeps me satisfied kind of corresponds to each 100 calories in it (ie 300 calories, 3ish hours). Of course this varies depending on the meal (a fast food burger would be more than 300 and have me starving in an hour vs a meal like chicken, rice, veggies).

jane February 2, 2012 at 9:07 pm

@chandra: thanks for your input! my dad eats oatmeal every morning (only 1/3 of a cup and only with raisins) and talks about how he isn’t hungry until 1pm for lunch! so i just wanted to make sure it’s him that’s crazy and not me ;-)

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ February 2, 2012 at 6:15 pm

i love that there are so many things the america heart association is involved with during the month of february. at my high school where i work we have something called “King of Hearts” where 10 guys get selected to be on the “court” and they have the month of january and half of february to collect money for the American Heart Association and whoever collects the most is the King.
    Its such a great event and the guys really get into it. thanks for telling me about the e-cards though, that is something I wasnt aware of!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie February 4, 2012 at 11:25 pm

I tend to find that I can usually taste the egg whites when added to oatmeal, which I don’t always like. Can you usually taste it in this?

Holly K. February 5, 2012 at 8:09 am

So I’ve been following your blog for quite some time now and recently you’ve been posting a lot of oatmeal with egg whites in it even as far as the “oatless oatmeal”. I was kind of distrubed by the whole concept. I don’t mind eggs, but sometimes it’s a texture thing for me. After seeing you post several times with egg whites in your oatmeal and how delicious it is, I decided to give it a try hoping it wouldn’t ruin my love for oatmeal. Besides, you’ve never lead me astray before! WOW, I have been missing out these past few weeks! I’m totally in love and I can’t imagine eating oatmeal any other way! I added cinnamon and nutmeg to mine (in addition to almond butter etc.) and I had no idea the egg was there except for the extra fluffiness and still feeling full hours later! I loved how voluminous it made the oats, definitely more bang for your calorie and volume buck! ;-) Thanks Tina!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] February 6, 2012 at 10:38 am

I attempted to make super creamy oatmeal today. Turned out pretty well, definitely needed that scoop of flax though – yummm!