The other day, I received the following email from a reader:
I recently re-laced the sneakers to start running again to train for the Warrior Dash (3.3 miles). Yes, I need to train a few months because running is not natural to me. My question is can you do a post on running music? I currently listen to the Girl Talk album, but I always need new and very fast powerful songs to add on. I am in a slump. Help!!!
Blog post on running music? Your wish is my command!
I actually haven’t written about running music since I made my playlist for my first marathon, which was over a year ago, so I figured it was about time to revisit the topic, especially since the tunes on my iPod Shuffle have changed so much.
Current playlist favorites:
- Blackout – Breathe Carolina
- Domino – Jessie J
- Super Bass – Nicki Minaj
- Run This Town – Jay-Z, Rihanna & Kanye West
- You Da One by Rhianna
- Lonely Boy – The Black Keys
- All of the Lights – Kanye West
- The Show Goes On – Lupe Fiasco
- 100 Yard Dash – Raphael Saadiq
- Son’s Gonna Rise – Citizen Cope
- Teeth– Lady GaGa
- Cupid Shuffle – Cupid
- Sexy and I Know It – LMFAO
- Henry Nearly Killed Me – Ray LaMontagne
- J’adore Hardcore – Scooter
- This City – Patrick Stump
- Tonight Is The Night – Outasight
Old playlist favorites:
- Tik Tok – Ke$ha
- Whataya Want from Me – Adam Lambert
- Let It Rock – Kevin Rudolf & Lil Wayne
- We R Who We R – Ke$ha
- Born to Run – Bruce Springsteen
- Short Skirt, Long Jacket – Cake
- Evacuate the Dancefloor – Cascada
- Made Up My Mind – David Gray
- Hey Hey – The Elms
- Don’t Stop Believin’ – Journey
- Firework – Katy Perry
- Bad Romance – Lady GaGa
- Poker Face – Lady GaGa
- Paper Planes M.I.A.
- Hung Up – Madonna
- P.Y.T (Pretty Young Thing) – Michael Jackson
- Raise Your Glass – P!nk
- You Belong With Me – Taylor Swift
When I’m not listening to one of these two playlists (I creatively named them “Marathon Mix” and “New Running Music”) on my Shuffle, I’m listening to Pandora on my iPhone.
Favorite Pandora stations:
- 80’s Cardio Radio
- Pop and Hip Hop Power Workout Radio
- Lady Gaga Radio (obviously)
- Rap Strength Training Radio
- Alternative Endurance Training Radio
FYI: Pandora has a Workout genre with tons of stations just for working out. It’s sweet!
I don’t know about you, but music is essential for my runs, especially my long training runs. I know plenty of runners who enjoy running without music, but I’m just not one of them. Music makes the run for me. It motivates me and pushes me to run faster and farther. A lot of the time, my music helps me get in the zone with my thoughts, which relaxes me and makes the time go by. I honestly don’t know what I’d do without music on my runs.
I’m actually starting to get a little bored with my current playlist, so if you have favorite songs, please share! I love switching up my playlists to bring a little excitement to my runs and other workouts!
I wanted to make a Protein Pancake for breakfast this morning, but we were out of eggs, so I got creative with my Kodiak Cake Mix and vanilla protein powder. In my pancake batter was 1/2 cup Kodiak Cake Mix, 1/2 cup water, and 1/2 scoop of protein powder. It turned out great!
I topped my pancake with peanut butter and fresh blueberries. Mmm… so delicious!
I’m off to get my run on!
See ya later!