• Reader Request: Running Music

February 3, 2012

The other day, I received the following email from a reader:

Hi Tina,

I recently re-laced the sneakers to start running again to train for the Warrior Dash (3.3 miles). Yes, I need to train a few months because running is not natural to me. My question is can you do a post on running music? I currently listen to the Girl Talk album, but I always need new and very fast powerful songs to add on. I am in a slump. Help!!!

Blog post on running music? Your wish is my command!

IMG_0041-362x500

I actually haven’t written about running music since I made my playlist for my first marathon, which was over a year ago, so I figured it was about time to revisit the topic, especially since the tunes on my iPod Shuffle have changed so much.

Current playlist favorites:

Old playlist favorites:

When I’m not listening to one of these two playlists (I creatively named them “Marathon Mix” and “New Running Music”) on my Shuffle, I’m listening to Pandora on my iPhone.

Favorite Pandora stations:

FYI: Pandora has a Workout genre with tons of stations just for working out. It’s sweet!

I don’t know about you, but music is essential for my runs, especially my long training runs. I know plenty of runners who enjoy running without music, but I’m just not one of them. Music makes the run for me. It motivates me and pushes me to run faster and farther. A lot of the time, my music helps me get in the zone with my thoughts, which relaxes me and makes the time go by. I honestly don’t know what I’d do without music on my runs.

I’m actually starting to get a little bored with my current playlist, so if you have favorite songs, please share! I love switching up my playlists to bring a little excitement to my runs and other workouts!

Breakfast

I wanted to make a Protein Pancake for breakfast this morning, but we were out of eggs, so I got creative with my Kodiak Cake Mix and vanilla protein powder. In my pancake batter was 1/2 cup Kodiak Cake Mix, 1/2 cup water, and 1/2 scoop of protein powder. It turned out great!

I topped my pancake with peanut butter and fresh blueberries. Mmm… so delicious!

I’m off to get my run on!

See ya later!

Emily February 3, 2012 at 1:09 pm

*singing* I like a girl in a short skirt and a loooong jacket. Love it!

Pancake look delish as usual! Beats the crap outta the two eggs and slice of toasted ezekial I ate!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 3, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I’ve been in a company meeting for the past 2 days and we’ve been blasting 80s cardio for all the breaks. Awesome station. Especially if you’re a child of the 80s :)

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 3, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I would live to listen to my iphone (pandora) on runs but don’t want to carry around my iphone for too long so I usually listen to my shuffle that has had the same playlist for forever!

Julie B February 3, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I had no idea pandora had workout stations!! Thanks for sharing!

christa February 3, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I love reading CNC because you keep it REAL! You always manage to squeeze in some work out time or even up your already healthy food intake. You very inspiring!

Esther Sam February 3, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I love reading CNC because you offer great food options for b/l/d and I like learning more about your healthy lifestyle.

Kate February 3, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Definitely need music to keep me motivated. I tend to listen to a song way too much and then can’t stand it. Here’s what’s pumping me up these days (aside from many on your list already!)
    - Wild Ones – Flo Rida
    - Turn Around – Flo Rida & Pitbull
    - International Love – Pitbull
    - Young, Wild, & Free- Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa
    - I like it like that – Hot Chelle Rae
    - The Champ – Nelly
    - What Doesn’t Kill You – Kelly Clarkson
    - Dog Days Are Over – Florence + The Machine
    - Ass Back Home – Gym Class Heroes
    - No Sleep – Wiz Khalifa
    - Good Feeling – Flo Rida

Casey @ OatsAndNanners February 3, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I love the playlists! Looks like my running music is getting a makeover… I do have a guilty running song confession: I’ve been listening to Jay Z’s Ni**as in Paris/Dat Shit Cray on loop… I don’t know what it is, but it makes me want to run

Ali February 3, 2012 at 6:34 pm

@Casey @ OatsAndNanners:

I am currently obsessed with that song too!! It’s picks me up everytime!

Jessie February 3, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Rockmyrun.com has awesome running mixes that vary in length from 30 minutes- 2 hrs.. They used to be FREE, but I think they are still relatively cheap. I love them!

Jordan K. February 4, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Yes! Rockmyrun.com is awesome! I love their mixes for long runs.@Jessie:

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves February 3, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Superbass pumps me up! Right now I’m loving “good feeling” too! Rage Against the Machine is my go to for speed work, but not long runs. When I hear my “running songs” on the radio in the car, it makes me want to go for a run so bad!!

Michelle (Better with Berries) February 3, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Thanks for the recommendations! I’ve had my current playlist forEVER, so I made sure to “like” this post so I can go over it again when I’m at home with itunes!

Hillary February 3, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Valerie by Amy Winehouse is the best running song ever. Except it makes me want to stop running and start dancing!

Mallory @ Have your cake February 3, 2012 at 3:10 pm

that pancake looks great! love the playlists too- thanks!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 3, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Thanks for the song ideas! My workout playlist has been needing an update. My current favourite is “Good Feeling” by Flo Rida. It never fails to pump me up during a run! :D

Alaina February 3, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I love Poker Face by Lady Gaga!

Some of my faves:
    More by Usher
    I Made It by Kevin Rudolf
    Stereo Hearts by Gym Class Heroes
    Remember the Name by Fort Minor…LOVE running to this one! The chorus lyrics are the best: “This is 10 percent luck, 20 percent skill, 15 percent concentrated power of will, 5 percent pleasure, 50 percent pain and a hundred percent reason to the remember the name!”

I could go on and on! :-P

Lauren Elias February 3, 2012 at 3:46 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE your writing style, healthy eating tips, recipes, pictures and of course, Murphy!

HAPPY ANIVERSARY!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 3, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I LOVE Teeth–definitely adding it to my playlist! My favorites are Fortress by Pinback, Suddenly I See by KT Tunstall, Satisfied by Marina & the Diamonds. Or anything by Britney Spears!

KerriAnn February 3, 2012 at 4:29 pm

How can you eat a pancake then run? That absolutely amazes me! I have a piece of toast and I get stomach cramps.

Laura @ She Eats Well February 3, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I think refreshing a running playlist is key to running success. I always feel so much more motivated and excited to run when I have a new playlist; something to look forward to!

Kelly February 4, 2012 at 3:12 am

I feel like I am sick of every song! Or they just don’t make good songs to run to. Im a huge fan of 80s/90s one hit wonders! I would loveeeee if we had Pandora in Canada but unfortunately we don’t :(. Gotta stick to YouTube for now!

Courtney @ Geekista February 4, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I’m running a half marathon at the end of the month and need some more variety in my playlist so thanks! I always come back to your blog everyday because I either learn about a new recipe, a new song, a new workout to try and get to see murphy’s adorbs face!

Audrey Ellen February 4, 2012 at 7:47 pm

if you like girl talk, you will love milk man. and he has free albums on his website. great for working out!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie February 4, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Pandora Workout is definitely my go to!

Emilie February 5, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Hello tina, i just want to know what kind of protein
    Powder u buy?? And i ll finished your book in a few day ;) i lov it

Andrea February 6, 2012 at 11:43 am
    Britta February 6, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I had no idea about the pandora workout stations! Thank you, thank you, Tina! :)

Amber Young April 14, 2012 at 9:09 am

I have a few songs that I HAVE to run with, sounds corny but “I just want to run” By: The Downtown Fiction “A year without rain” & “Naturally” By: Selena Gomez And to go old school there is “Relax” By: Frankie goes Hollywood ;) Check them you and you will see what I mean!!! Happy Running ( I am thinking about signing up for the “Maine Marathon” in Oct. How far was your longest run before your race? Just ran my 2nd 1/2 Marathon last weekend!