• Learning How to Control My (Sugar) Cravings

February 22, 2012

Good morning!

Mal, Murphy, and I just returned from a glorious trip to the dog park. We planned to go yesterday, but things got a little crazy in the afternoon, so we postponed our trip until today. It was definitely worth the wait though. Murphy had a blast!

IMG_0350 (675x900)_thumb[2]

The park included plenty of running.

2012-02-22_1121_thumb
    2012-02-22_1123_thumb[1]

And shenanigans.

IMG_0334 (900x674)_thumb

(I still can’t figure out what exactly is happening in the photo below.)

IMG_0342 (900x674)_thumb

The pug was definitely exhausted by the end of our trip.

IMG_0337 (675x900)_thumb[1]

IMG_0338 (900x675)_thumb

He even passed out in the backseat of the car on the way home. I guess our trip to the park was a success!

Breakfast

Before we left for the park, I made pancakes for breakfast. I’ve been eating a lot of oatmeal lately, so I decided to switch things up with some Pumpkin Buckweat Pancakes using a mix and canned pumpkin.

I added a big scoop of pumpkin to the batter, so the pancakes turned out moist and fluffy. They were a little bland, so next time I’m going to add some cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. I topped my pancakes with fresh blueberries and maple syrup.

Snack

My breakfast didn’t really hold me over at all, so as soon as we got home from the park, I sliced up a banana and added a big scoop of peanut butter to it. I need my daily dose of nut butter! <— Um…TWSS?

IMG_0357 (900x675)_thumb[1]

Feel Great Weight

Cravings—we all get them. If you asked me what foods I typically crave, I can always reel off a number of items without hesitation: chewy oatmeal raisin cookies, cheesy loaded nachos, dark chocolate with sea salt, a malty ale… just to name a few. While trying to eat better and lose weight, these cravings often became my downfall until I discovered where they came from and how to control them by simply cleaning up my diet.

There was a time in my life when I ate way too much sugar. In fact, some days I’d “save” my calories just so I could binge on sweets later. So much, in fact, that I experienced crazy mood swings and terrible breakouts because of all of the sugar I was consuming. Clearly this wasn’t the best way to shed pounds. I knew something needed to change, so I decided to take control of my cravings once and for all. Here’s what I did.

How often do you get cravings? Do you do anything to control them?

Ann @ Turbo Teacher February 22, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I think I have (or had) the biggest Sweet Tooth in the entire world!!! It has definitely taken time, but I have learned how to deal with my cravings and I think the number one thing is a healthy diet ~ I have learned to give my body the nutrients it wants & needs, and in turn, I do not crave sugar like I used to. Great post!!!

Anna, Fitscally Responsible February 22, 2012 at 7:02 pm

This post is great timing for me! I run a lot to stay in shape but I can’t seem to shed that last 10-15 pounds. I changed up my routine this year by signing up for Tough Mudder and a sprint triathlon to force myself to diversify my training routine; however, I know my issue is mostly eating! I am very healthy except when it comes to snacking and giving into my cravings. This week, I am starting a series on my blog where I’ll work to shed those last few pounds by improving my eating.

MelanieF February 22, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I always have some kind of sweet every day, like a cookie, a piece or two of dark chocolate, some type of vegan baked good (usualy low in fat and sugar), chocolate soy milk…I have found that since I am doing this I rarely get cravings anymore. I think moderation is always key. Before, I would do the out of sight out of mind thing and I ended binging a lot. That’s what works for me anyway!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake February 22, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Ohhh man, I definitely get SUGAR cravings. To be honest, I’m still trying to figure out how to control them!

Joss February 23, 2012 at 7:17 am

@Erica @ For the Sake of Cake:

I think it’s a lifelong journey to learn how to do that :)

Laura Jane @ Recovering Chocoholic February 22, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I get tons of sugar cravings all the time. I still haven’t quite figured how to best control them. I’ve tried quitting altogether for a few weeks which works okay but I’m somewhat cranky the whole time. I like the idea of having them in moderation but “moderation” often turns into “just try not to eat the whole bag/box.”

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 22, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I have a MAJOR sweet tooth! I like to control them with tea or water with lemon or lime wedges. I’m also sure to give in to them on occasion but restricting HOW much I’m having. This is actually something I’m fighting again right now…it comes in waves. ;)

Deb @ wiseupslimdown February 22, 2012 at 11:34 pm

If I am craving something I remind myself that that craving will normally pass in about 20 minutes. Usually a cup of tea with milk and stevia helps me through it. Or I try a piece of fruit. I like to bake a banana with a little stevia and cinammon until it gets caramelized and really sweet. I have found that processed sugar just sets me off and I can’t stop so I really can’t just have a little piece of something. I have to avoid it entirely

michelle kim February 23, 2012 at 12:46 am

Great post!
    I get cravings for sweets all the time, and I used to control them by substituting fruits instead.
    I’m actually “giving up” dessert for Lent… we’ll see how that goes. I hope it goes somewhat as well as when I gave up coffee for 40 days!

Katy @ HaveYouHurd February 23, 2012 at 8:14 am

HA! Daily dose of nut butter!!!

I crave salty snacks…all. the. time. The best thing I do to curve my cravings is drink some water. Usually it fills up my belly so I stop thinking about the cravings. I also just try to focus my mind on another project. If I’m focused on something else, I’ve drank my water, and my hunger pains are still there I know I DO need a snack!

P.S. How do you make those 3-in-1 photos in this post? Do you just do it in Microsoft Paint or do you have a program you use that creates those for you?

Tina February 23, 2012 at 8:21 am

@Katy @ HaveYouHurd: Picasa collages! It’s a free program! :)

Jocelyn February 23, 2012 at 10:24 am

I may or may not have just googled “TWSS”. Then I laughed out loud. For at least a minute. Thanks for that. #iactuallyliveunderarock

Kathy February 23, 2012 at 11:34 am

My cravings are horrific. I am a sugar whore. Once I start, there is no stopping me. Last year I worked dilligently to lose 45 lbs. I was almost to my feel great weight and it happened. I got a craving – the bad part – I succombed to it and 35 lbs later, I’m still unable to stop. I’m almost back to where I started and the urgings and promptings to do something about it and stop just aren’t working. It is so discouraging and frustrating. I know what an addict feels like. I’m tired all the time, go through moods and the weight gain is terrible!!

Luvwhatyoudo February 23, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I have never seen that pancake mix but will look for it! Love the idea of having something other than Auntie J in the pantry to make a healthy breakfast. Plus pumpkin pancakes are truly the best (and I always have canned pumpkin). I think pumpkin pie spice is exactly what you need…maybe with a little maple syrup too!

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee February 24, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I crave chocolate sometimes, but usually just a small amount satisfies that. :) Especially salted chocolate! Your pumpkin pancakes look goooood.