• How Do You Know You’re Getting More Fit?

February 17, 2012

Good morning! Happy Friday!

I’m still working on my post about the Woman’s Day Red Dress Awards, so, hopefully, I’ll have it up later this morning. It was an awesome event, and I have a lot to blog about!

Workout

I know I’ve said this a few times about WODs in the past, but “Kelly” was insanely hard! Yowsahs. I don’t think I’m the same after that workout. It was five rounds of 400 meter runs + 30 Box Jumps + 30 Wall Balls, which, as you can imagine, was a killer combination of exercises.

WOD:

“Kelly”

5 rounds for time of:

400 meter run

30 Box Jumps 24″

30 Wall Balls

Rx: (24”, 20″) (20, 14)

L2: (24″, 20″) (14, 10), 4 rounds

L1: (20″, 12″) (14, 10) 3 rounds

With two days of rest under my belt, I was more than ready for “Kelly.” I finished in 25:04, which was only 20 seconds behind the fastest woman (and 10 seconds faster than Mal) and it was the closest to a prescribed CrossFit workout I’ve ever done. (I used a 10-pound medicine ball instead of the 14-pound prescribed.)

Remember my first Level 2 workout? Well, I’m still bouncing around between Level 1 and Level 2 workouts, and I don’t think prescribed ones are in my future for many more months, but I’m seeing some real progress in my physical abilities. I’m stronger, quicker, and tougher. I could barely do a Level 1 workout when I started CrossFit, and now I’m knocking on the door of prescribed workouts. Booyah. I’m an animal!

404381_255538201188071_159556434119582_582365_1351951110_n

The above photo (source: CrossFit781) is actually from a workout I did last week. I’m attempting a Squat Clean and getting frustrated that I can’t do it right. (Hence, the ridiculous face.) I still have trouble with them!

Dinner

Mal made hamburgers for dinner on Wednesday night when I was in New York City, so I chopped up a leftover one and added it to a big salad with balsamic vinegar and truffle salt.

Usually, I wolf-down my dinner in minutes, especially after a CrossFit class, but last night I was so exhausted after “Kelly,” it took me nearly 40 minutes to eat it! I kept getting distracted by American Idol and forgetting that my dinner was sitting in front of me, which never happens. Typically, food is my top priority at feeding time!

Right before bed, I got really hungry again, so I ate a container of Chobani with homemade granola mixed in. It was about 10:00 PM, so I never snapped a photo. I just ate it went right to bed.

Breakfast

This morning, I woke up craving oatmeal + peanut butter, so I whipped up a batch of stovetop oats with blackberries, ground flaxseed meal, and cinnamon.

No iced coffee with breakfast this morning because I’m going to stop by Marylou’s later this morning to try their new Maple Walnut flavor. Mmm!

How do you know you’re getting more fit?

chelsea February 17, 2012 at 10:50 am

I learned how to do proper cleans yesterday =D I was so psyched lol!

Jenna February 17, 2012 at 11:14 am

I LOVE marylou’s. too bad i live in PA for school and my “home” is in NYC. Though, I am going to a conference in Boston in April and I will be driving to Quincy for Marylou’s many a time!

Ashley February 17, 2012 at 11:29 am

Since I’ve started weight training consistently twice per week, I can definitely tell I’m stronger. My running is getting faster, I can lift heavier weights and complete the sets without resting, and I feel more toned overall. Plus my biceps look huge! :)

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie February 17, 2012 at 11:40 am

Maple walnut flavor sounds insane! Happy Friday indeed :)

MigraineMe February 17, 2012 at 11:59 am

I can tell my fitness is improving because since I started working on core exercises about 4 months ago, I have noticed that my running has improved a lot. I used to only run, but the addition of the core training has really improved my fitness. Thank you modern technology for introducing me to blogs, which led to other forms of working out besides running and a few crunches at the end of the run!

Patricia February 17, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Hey Tina! Looks like you CRUSHED that WOD! :) Great job…Kelly sounds like a great workout…I haven’t done that one! Today, we did reverse wall walks and I thought I was going to break my neck towards the end…but I did it! I still have trouble with Power Cleans too…I think too much about the components of the movement. I need to just let it flow and it will come together. We did Hang Power Cleans today and towards the end, I think I started to get it! :) Good luck and see you soon!

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl February 17, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Because I went running on the treadmill yesterday while looking in the mirror and I could SEE definition in my upper body. Plus I can now run a straight 10-minutes on the treadmill, as well. Cardio + Strength stronger. ;-)

Wendy Irene February 17, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Awesome job on the workout!! I think I know I am getting more fit when things that used to be hard are not so bad anymore or when I feel like I can increase weights that I am using. The best sign is I start feeling better about my body and appreciating it more. Have a wonderful weekend!

renee February 17, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I have read so much about lifting and HIIT/crossfit..I even bought New Rules of Lifting for Women but I still can’t get myself to do it at the gym. Do you have a hard time finding the space to set up “stations” for yourself? It just seems like so much work. I go to a YMCA and it just seems like a pain to set up stations or claim items for 3 sets when you are going to different stations in between each rep. Any suggestions?

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva February 17, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Seeing the numbers go up with the weights I use and just finding I have more energy for daily acitivities

Joss February 17, 2012 at 5:13 pm

ohhh love the pretty color to your oatmeal – I should try the addition of blueberries in my oats!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 17, 2012 at 5:49 pm

LOVE that photo!! You look great! I wish I could do a clean and press with that much weight. Seeing Crossfit girls is so inspiring!