• Dinner Date at Local 149

February 23, 2012

The other night, Mal and I realized we hadn’t seen our friends Elizabeth and Nick in awhile, so we texted them and suggested getting together for dinner sometime this week. They were all about it and suggested Local 149, a new neighborhood restaurant in South Boston with a menu that “exemplifies what it means to be ‘Exceptionally Local’ through its no-boundaries approach to eclectic cuisine, hand-selected beers and crafted cocktails, all made from fresh ingredients from local purveyors and producers in the area.” It sounded great and totally the type of place Mal and I would enjoy, so our dinner date was on!

002 (675x900)

The atmosphere at Local 149 is friendly and cozy with an open and large booths and tables with bar stools on either side. There’s also a real wood-burning fireplace where customers can hang out and relax. The art on the walls is funky and modern and depicts various South Boston neighborhood landmarks. It’s a really neat space. I just want to chill (and drink beer) there.

006 (900x675)

The menu at Local 149 is so creative! I mean, where else can you get Chicken and Chocolate Chip Waffles served with Red Jalapeno Butter and Caramel Cherry Syrup? The beer menu is also pretty awesome.

003 (900x675)

The four of us started with a couple of “bar snacks,” which are basically appetizers, but they’re available late-night too. We shared an order of Fried Pickles and Veggies.

004 (900x675)

And some Mac & Cheese Fritters, which were served with a buffalo sauce ketchup. Both were delicious, but I highly recommend the Mac & Cheese Fritters! Yum!

007 (675x900)

For my entrée, I ordered the Venison Chili, which was served with a Manchego and Caerphilly cheddar grilled cheese on garlicky rye bread. The chili had a smokey, slight sweet flavor with tons of meat and beans mixed in, and the combination of flavors in the grilled cheese was out of this world. It was heaven, and I pretty much housed the entire meal in a matter of minutes.

017 (900x675)

On the side, I ordered the Fried Brussels Sprouts, but I was so stuffed after eating my entrée, I barely made a dent in them. But, I took them home for lunch today!

013 (900x675)

011 (900x675)

If you’re wondering what the Chicken and Waffles were all about, Mal ordered them for his entrée.

010 (900x675)

Intense, right? He said they were awesome—messy, but awesome.

And for next time:

018 (900x675)

You read that right! Fried Fluffernutter with bananas and raspberry foam. I can’t even imagine how delicious this would probably taste. I want one! Next time for sure!

As always, good times with Elizabeth and Nick! Thanks for a fun night, guys! See you soon!

Amelia February 23, 2012 at 10:30 am

FRIED brussels sprouts?! What a great idea! I would have ordered those and dessert and called it a night.

Kevin would love those chicken and waffles.

Cait's Plate February 23, 2012 at 10:30 am

Oh my goodness. That is some fried food goodness right there! I’ve never heard of that place – definitely want to check it out next time I’m in Boston (it’s probably a good thing that something that delicious is not very near to me!)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh February 23, 2012 at 10:31 am

Oh wow! That looks like a great dinner! I think I gained 10 lbs just thinking about the Fluffernutter!

KerriAnn February 23, 2012 at 10:32 am

Local 149 is on my list of places to eat this year! Nice review. Can’t wait to try it out.

Tina February 23, 2012 at 10:33 am

@KerriAnn: Definitely check it out! It really loved it! :)

kathleen @ the daily crumb February 23, 2012 at 10:32 am

chicken and waffles! oh my goodness, brings me back to college and this amazing spot we would go to in LA. your meal looks absolutely fantastic. i love brussels sprouts when they are “boring” and roasted… can’t even imagine the fried version!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 23, 2012 at 10:33 am

That looks like an awesome restaurant! That dessert sounds heavenly! Fluff and peanut butter? Sign me up! :)

Caroline February 23, 2012 at 10:35 am

Fried brussels sprouts?! Sounds oddly delicious! I’m from Texas where you can get just about anything fried, but I’ve never seen brussels sprouts!

Megan February 23, 2012 at 1:47 pm

@Caroline: Haha that reminds me. Once a year, the Florida State Fair comes to town for about 10 days. Talk about everything fried….. they fry EVERYTHING at the fair. Oreos, reeces, bubblegum, butter, kool-aid (yeah.. i have no idea how), pickles….. everything. Intense stuff. Plus, a heart attack waiting to happen :)

Beth G February 23, 2012 at 10:36 am

We actually ate at Local 149 a couple of months ago, had a great meal (those Brussels sprouts are amazing!) and ordered the Fluffernutter and the whole group agreed that our meal would’ve been better without it. It’s actually tough to eat. It’s SO dense and thick that it’s hard to chew! There’s a little of that raspberry foam, but it’s not nearly enough of a sauce to cut through all the peanut butter & fluff & bread. So, don’t feel like you missed anything! :o)

Catalina @ Cake with Love February 23, 2012 at 10:39 am

Fried food is always good, espacially when you have it with good friend :) looks like you had a fun night!

Meg @ Spandex in the City February 23, 2012 at 10:40 am

Whenever I hear fried pickles, I always think of Snooki ! haha
    but they do sound delish…

Anne February 23, 2012 at 10:40 am

The Met Bar out in Natick used to serve Chicken and Waffles. My husband is so disappointed that they don’t serve them any more. :(

Sneakers2Sandals February 23, 2012 at 10:40 am

You’re making me miss Boston so much! That looks like so much fun. I’ve been on the lookout for local food restaurants in Tampa. They always have such fun menus.

Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! February 23, 2012 at 10:42 am

Love restaurants like that!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 23, 2012 at 10:43 am

I think I would have been ordering that chorizo cassoulet! All the food looks absolutely delicious!

Tina February 23, 2012 at 11:06 am

@Liz @ Tip Top Shape: I almost ordered that!! Next time for sure! :)

Chelsea @ Naturally Sweet Recipes February 23, 2012 at 10:48 am

What an awesome restaurant! I love that they support local farmers and I bet everything is super fresh and yummy. It all looks delicious!

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake February 23, 2012 at 10:49 am

Ah I have been craving a fluffernutter lately & I’m sure that would hit the spot!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 23, 2012 at 10:53 am

Sounds like an awesome place! :D

Michelle February 23, 2012 at 10:56 am

I’ve had the Fried Fluffernutter at Local, it is AMAZING! You should definitely go back to try it.

Tina February 23, 2012 at 11:06 am

@Michelle: Good to know! I want one!!!!!!!

Jennifer February 23, 2012 at 10:57 am

I am a first-time commenter and I just HAD to comment because that food looks and sounds absolutely amazing! Glad ya’ll enjoyed the meal! I love the blog. :)

Tina February 23, 2012 at 11:07 am

@Jennifer: Thanks for the kind words and commenting! :)

Khushboo February 23, 2012 at 10:57 am

I’ve only ever had venison in burger form but based on that, im not surprised the chili tasted divine!

katie @ KatieDid February 23, 2012 at 11:03 am

Such unique flavor combos- love the look of everything! And pretty jealous of your soon to be leftovers for lunch!

Cate February 23, 2012 at 11:08 am

Droooooooling! Fried Brussels? I’ve been wanting to try that place for a while now. My friends and I were running in Southie last night – We should have stopped in for a beer and some Brussels! Haha!

Olivia February 23, 2012 at 11:08 am

That restaurant looks wonderful – so many yummy choices!

Anna February 23, 2012 at 11:10 am

Wow that dinner looks to die for…I definitely want some chicken and waffles now :) and marshmallow fluff!!

Wendi @ A Southern Yogi February 23, 2012 at 11:11 am

that looks like southern food!!!

Hillary February 23, 2012 at 11:30 am

Why do I not live in Boston?
    Buffalo ketchup?
    Grilled cheese and chili?
    Fried fluffernutter?

Good God.

Stephy C February 23, 2012 at 11:44 am

I just emailed some of my friends the link to this post- we have to go there! YUM!!

Nikki February 23, 2012 at 11:47 am

I have had that fried fluff sandwich… it was amazing :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 23, 2012 at 11:56 am

HAha I was looking at the Almond Joy at the bottom! That looks pretty good to me!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio February 23, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Wowzers! What an awesome place. Fluffernutter? Sign me up!

Annie February 23, 2012 at 12:19 pm

Fluffernutter … Oh the memories.

Growing up in Boston, pb and fluff happily appeared in my daily brown bag. Since moving to Los Angeles, I run into people day in an day out who are grossed out by the concept of putting spreadable marshmallow on my pb sandwich. (And what, wheatgrass shots are tastier?! What do they know!) It makes me sad that when I actually can find fluff on the supermarket shelves, they look lonely and sometimes even coated with a thin layer of dust.

Lacey @ Lake Life February 23, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Holy heart attack! I’ve never been to South Boston but that menu definitely has a “southern” feel!

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 23, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I love fried mac and cheese! There was a vendor selling some at Taste of Chicago last summer and I just had to try them!

Mandy February 23, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Tina! I’ve been to local 149 many a times and sadly the fried fluffernutter is not great :( I know, I was super disappointed as well. I think it’s Premade and then just sits there, so it was all mushy when we got it. You can definitely try for yourself though!

Tina February 24, 2012 at 6:02 am

Oh, boo! :(

Laura Jane @ Recovering Chocoholic February 23, 2012 at 9:11 pm

That food all looks so good! I think I totally skipped the entree and got right for that dessert. :-)

Tina February 24, 2012 at 5:55 am

Next time, I might! :)

Kristie February 27, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Love that you went to Local149! I’ve been reading your blog for a little while now and I actually thought of you when I first went there because of their beer selection and how you guys appreciate a good beer spot! I live right up the street and Local is my go-to. :) The pizzas there are great and so is the taco salad & burgers (especially the tuna burger)!