• Cute Cards & Strange Presents

February 14, 2012

Look what arrived in the mail for Murphy yesterday! A Valentine’s Day card from his pug girlfriend, Olive!

Olive lives in Wisconsin, so she and Murphy have a long distance relationship and often send each other things.

Murphy and Olive have never met, but I know they will someday. Until then, they’ll continue to send each other fun things in the mail, like cards with pug puppies on them because…

Yep, they are. Wicked cute.

Look what also arrived in the mail yesterday! My Valentine’s Day present from Mal!

Ever since I purchased Mal’s Valentine’s Day gift, I’ve been excited to give it to him, so I suggested opening our presents a day early. Mal loves presents (he’s like a 5-years old when he has one to open), so he was totally on board.

I gave Mal a funny Valentine’s Day card (inside it says: “I can’t stop chicken you out”) with my present inside.

His present: tickets to see The Black Keys next month! Mal was PSYCHED!!

2012-02-14_0742

Then, it was my turn to open my Valentine’s Day present—or what Mal and I thought was my present.

Mal and I don’t typically wrap gifts for one another, so he just handed me the box from Amazon to open. I honestly had no idea what he bought me, but I definitely didn’t expect what I saw inside the box: a media cable. How romantic!

Oops! Wrong box! Mal forgot that he ordered a media cable for his classroom at school, so he thought the package was for me. LOL!

Hopefully, my Valentine’s Day present will arrive today. Now, I’m really curious to see what Mal bought me!

Workout

Last night’s CrossFit workout was a lot of fun, but I am so sore today. I woke up this morning and checked out today’s WOD… and let’s just say the thought of handstand push-ups sounded terrible to me, so I decided to take the next two days off to rest. Sunday’s and Monday’s workouts were really tough, so I just need a break to recover and come back stronger.

Anyway, three “cool” things happened at CrossFit last night:

• I did 4 Double Unders and then 5 Double Unders two different times!
    • I ripped my first callus. It didn’t look this bad, but it was still gross.
    • I used the Level 2 weight (55 pounds) for the WOD!

Strength:

Romanian Dead Lifts

5-5-5-5-5

2 rope climbs
    10 Back Squats
    1 rope climb

Rx: (75,65) Back Squat/15 ft. Rope Climb

L2: (65,45) Back Squat/Sub. 4 Strict Pull-ups for each climb

L1: (45,35) Back Squat/Sub. 4 Band Assisted Pull-ups for each climb

Fifteen rope climbs just weren’t happening for me last night, so I subbed 4 Band Assisted Pull-ups for each climb. I finished in 14:23.

Dinner

Mal and I went to the later CrossFit class last night, so before we left the house, we prepped dinner. Chicken stir fry was on the menu, so Mal grilled the chicken while I chopped up the veggies. When we got home, all we needed to do was stir fry it all together.

Delish!

I finished off the evening with a couple of handfuls of peanut M&Ms. Love them.

What’s the strangest gift you’ve ever received?

P.S. I’m hosting a giveaway on Trading Up Downtown to win an adorable cupcake cookbook!

Laura February 14, 2012 at 2:08 pm

When my husband got back from Iraq (we were dating at the time) I expected to get a ring for Christmas. 50% because I am THAT person, but 50% the timing in our relationship plus the deployment cash. He got me… a knife set. For my apartment. Not even good knives. His family still laughs about how I tried so hard to be excited about them.

We got engaged a week later :)

lauren February 14, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Several years ago when my husband and I were first engaged, I went to his mom’s on Christmas morning. He brought something for me to open while we were there and when I did I was kind of confused. It was a wratchet & socket set. I nicely asked…is this…for…me?
    He responded “yea, didn’t you say you wanted tools?” While I don’t remember saying those exact words, I wouldn’t have minded a pink hammer or screwdrivers. Something entry level, but wratchets?
    I still tease him about that one.

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop February 14, 2012 at 3:02 pm

My college boyfriend bought me Christmas balls with the 12 days of Christmas on them. How romantic…
    And my hubs and I are so impatient. We never actually make it to the holiday before opening the gifts!
    ~Ang

Sydney Major February 14, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Hey Tina! I’ve been reading Carrots and Cake for quite some time now, but don’t usually comment! I love your blog though :) Murphy is so precious! I just wanted to tell you about a rescue group in California that just saved 3 little girl puppies that have 3rd degree burns over about 60 percent of their body! This isn’t some kind of scam, I would love for you to check out their website and maybe spread the word to some other fellow dog lovers! I know you have a big following of people who love your blog and I am just trying to bring some attention to these sweet puppies that need some help! The website is http://marleysmutts.com/ They are taking donations for the puppies up until the end of February!

Tina February 14, 2012 at 4:24 pm

@Sydney Major: Those poor puppies! Thanks for sharing the link here!

Mindy - clueless nut February 14, 2012 at 5:52 pm

The Black Keys concert tickets?! Awesome gift… I saw them at Bonnaroo 2011!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Haha that’s too funny about the present mix up!

I guess it wasn’t really strange because I actually really wanted it, but I got a microscope for a gift when I was 7. <– dork :P

BroccoliHut February 14, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Love those cute little baby corn!

EmilyHM February 14, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Great post, I love your story about how this pre-Valentine’s Day celebration went down! I wonder what you got??

Laura@mypurposefullife February 14, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Oh man, I am SO obsessed with The Black Keys! What a great gift! I was laughing soo hard about the cable for Mal’s classroom. So funny! Can’t wait to see what you really got. :)

Erica @ For the Sake of Cake February 14, 2012 at 7:55 pm

On our first Christmas together, my husband (then-boyfriend) bought me a Sonicare toothbrush! LOL! And I bought him… a guitar. He did make it up to me on my birthday that year! :-)

Laura @ Special Treats of Laura's Life February 14, 2012 at 9:07 pm

OMG! My husband gave me the same pug card for Valentine’s Day!!!! We have 2 pugs, so I LOVED this card :)

Jodie February 14, 2012 at 9:50 pm

I got a step ladder for our 1st wedding anniversary present…mmm, was not expecting that but did come in handy though (but never told hubby that)

Christine February 14, 2012 at 10:20 pm

I got my husband the same card!!! I laugh so hard every time I look at it.

Kelsey February 15, 2012 at 12:05 am

My strange aunt and uncle gave me and my hubby this antique lamp for our wedding, and it was hideous! It had this pressed butterfly/grass scene. Anyway, after doing some research, I found out they were sort of collectible and sold it on ebay for $75! We put that money towards our house fund. Better to have a collector have it and enjoy it, than have it sit in a closet somewhere…

Katy @ HaveYouHurd February 15, 2012 at 8:30 am

My Great Aunt gave us a porcelain turkey for our wedding. It was awesome.

Also, I heard on the radio yesterday that the #1 thing guys want on Valentine’s day is TICKETS…so GOOD JOB!

Adrianna February 15, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I saw the black keys last year and they were insanely awesome…y’all will have an amazing time! love them!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie February 16, 2012 at 2:00 am

Hahahhaa media cables. Swooooooon. So romantic :D

Life's a Bowl February 17, 2012 at 1:50 pm

Hahaha, something like that would happen to me! I cannot wait to give my honey his gifts so usually I either have to wait to the last minute to buy it or give it to him early… This year was our first Christmas together and we ended up opening all of our presents on Christmas Eve [using the excuse that we had a busy day ahead] ;P