• Colitis, Doctors & Diet

February 28, 2012

Thanks for all of your kind and supportive comments and emails. You guys are truly the best. Some of your messages literally brought me to tears. I definitely felt the love, so thank you.

Colitis totally sucks, but I’m hanging in there and planning to get through this thing with a super positive attitude (and probably some inappropriate bathroom humor).

poop.jpg

I just got back from my doctor’s appointment a little while ago, and I guess things went okay. My doc wants to do more tests to see exactly what we’re dealing with, so I’m scheduled for a flexible sigmoidoscopy on Friday. Hopefully, we’ll know more then.

I came prepared to my appointment with a whole slew of questions to ask my doctor, but, I have to admit, I wasn’t psyched about the limited information with which he provided me. I asked plenty of follow-up questions for clarification, but my doctor is just one of those straightforward, matter-of-fact guys, who didn’t give me much to go on. I was also really surprised by some of his replies, especially with regard to food and its affects on a flare. Other than avoiding “roughage” (i.e. seeds, nuts, veggies, popcorn), he said what I eat won’t affect my symptoms or make them worse. He also said my diet wouldn’t bring on a flare and that stress is the main culprit. I asked him what else I could do (besides pump my body full of drugs), and he suggested probiotics, specifically mentioning VSL3 (expensive) and Align (much cheaper), which I just started taking.

This whole food thing is throwing me for a loop, especially since so many of you guys have said changing up your diet as helped your GI issues. Maybe I’m crazy, but I don’t understand how what I eat wouldn’t affect what’s going on in my body. If anyone can shed some light on this, please do! Apparently, I’m missing something.

As I mentioned in my last post, when I was first diagnosis with colitis, I didn’t want to believe that I had it. I was convinced it was a one-time thing, so once I got better, I didn’t really think about it again. Unfortunately, this meant that I didn’t pay attention to what I was eating or make any significant changes to my lifestyle—and look where it got me: worshiping the toilet gods multiple times a day once again. With that said, I’m taking my colitis seriously this time around with the hope of getting healthy for the long-term and never experiencing a flare again. This time, I’m keeping a detailed food/lifestyle/stress journal to really figure out what works and doesn’t work for me.

So, what have I been doing lately? Trying to relax, which includes watching TV with Murphy (aka my pug heating pad) on my lap. Sleeping (well, trying). “Disconnecting” from the interwebs. What have I been eating? Not much! And I’m hungry! Which I guess is a good sign to still have an appetite, right?

So far, I’m friends with sweet potatoes, chicken, and rice.

IMG_0688 (900x675)_thumb

As well as coconut milk and gluten-free waffles with sunflower butter and bananas (obviously).

IMG_0691 (900x675)_thumb

However, I am not friends with this turkey sandwich (with avocado on toasted gluten-free bread). There was a violent battle in my intestines this afternoon. I think we all know who won.

IMG_0697 (900x675)_thumb

I guess I’m making a little progress with the food thing, but I’d love to hear what you guys have to say about what works for you and how you went about figuring it out. I’m sure it just takes trial and error, but any advice or insight is greatly appreciated!

P.S. My stainless steel straws are on sale!

Karan February 28, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Just a piece of advice from someone with systemic lupus. I have been symptom free for 3 years and off all meds for 2 years and that happened only through a whole foods plant based vegan diet. No dairy of any kind, no meat, and lots of fruits, veggies, and grains. Since this diet my doctor often encourages his patients with any autoimmune disorder to try a plant based vegan diet and shares my success. The only set-back I have had was once when I got off my diet due to a very hectic season. Lesson learned and as I write this I am training for my first half marathon in April. Be encouraged – you can cure many diseases with diet alone. But some advice – give your body about 3 months to get detoxed and adjusted and you just may find you will be healthier than any time in your whole life.

Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet February 28, 2012 at 9:41 pm

I don’t know the answer to that! But I know for me since my stomach has been ruined from all my food allergies, my digestive system is out of whack. I’m doing a 28 day vegetarian challenge to see if that will help in my digestion. I know personally when I eat to much meat, my digestive system slows wayyy down and I’m super….pardon…gassy, bloated and you can figure the rest. Everyone’s body responds to things differently but food really makes a difference!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) February 28, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I wish I had some helpful advice but I don’t. Just hang in there! Here’s my favorite saying: “This too shall pass.”

Tami February 28, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I know a low-fiber diet is recommended. I am not sure that you should eat the skins on the potatoes. I hope you feel better soon!!!

Lisa @ Fit in the Midwest February 28, 2012 at 9:56 pm

It’s funny because I just read someone telling you that a low-fiber diet is recommended, but my doc actually recommends one for me because I have problems with my colon being slow. Your doctor sounds like my old one. I would seek a second opinion. My new doctor had me go lactose free for a week to see if that helped (it didn’t) and he seems to believe that diet affects colitis.

I honestly feel like doctors don’t know exactly what causes colitis yet. I can be very stressed at times and feel totally fine. I don’t get it either. Best of luck figuring everything out! Relaxation is the best medicine sometimes!

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt February 28, 2012 at 10:17 pm

I hope you find what work for you

Laura Pappas February 28, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Tina so sorry to hear about your flare up. Its so frustrating that so many doctors think that there is no connection between diet and illness, part of it is because of what some have mentioned here they get little to no schooling on nutrition and what they do learn is the food pyramid (which in my opinion is worthless). There are a lot of good suggestions out there already, and unfortunately figuring out what your trigger foods are isn’t going to be fun. Stress will play a factor as well. I don’t have too much experience with colitis but looking into reducing the inflammatory foods you’re putting in should help with the inflammation that’s already going on – maybe adding some fish oil too to help with the inflammation could be helpful! Good luck and I hope you are on the way to feeling better soon.

Dede February 28, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Tina, I noticed that your last flare came when you were training very intensely for the marathon. I think your body is trying to tell you that you are over exercising! Stress comes in many forms! Do try the Braggs apple cider vinegar! It has worked wonderfully for me!

Brianne March 1, 2012 at 1:49 pm

I agree. Over exercising could be the problem, listen to your body.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 28, 2012 at 10:35 pm

While I’m sure your doctor knows what he’s talking about–listen to your body. If you have things that clearly don’t settle, then take note and don’t eat them for the time being. Bland foods are probably your best bet.

Sara @ Waughmadness February 28, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I have found that “roughage” does give me the urge to worship the toilet god, but it doesn’t shoot me into a flare of going multiple times a day. But my downfall is with “seeded” foods, e.g. popcorn, blueberries, strawberries, sunflower seeds, etc. so I eat them in limited quanitities.

Danielle February 28, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Both my Dad and I have suffered from digestive issues – and what you eat makes all the difference! I largely avoid wheat and gluten and focus on whole foods (plant-based diet) and feel fantastic. Cutting down on coffee and alcohol has also had a very positive effect on my stomach – and how I feel in general. Check out Meghan Telpner’s blog (http://meghantelpnerblog.com/). She is awesome! Severals years ago she healed herself from Crohn’s through dietary and lifestyle changes. She is a wealth of knowledge – with lots of good tips, recipes! Hope you are feeling better soon.

Christine February 28, 2012 at 11:15 pm

I’m so sorry you are dealing with this, Tina. I read your blog every day and you are such an inspiration to me. I don’t have any advice, but I wanted you to know that I am thinking about you and I really hope that you find some answers.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 28, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Don’t worry your tests will come out and they’ll fix you right back up!! I’m so sorry you have to go through this. Your a brave woman to let us know your going through this. Fell better!!

Megan February 29, 2012 at 12:02 am

Hmm. I’m a bit surprised your doctor said that what you eat won’t affect you because during my colitis experience, I was told it did matter. I was also told to avoid roughage, but was also given a list of foods that I should avoid and another list of foods that were to be eaten on a trial and error basis. I was also told it could be stress related, but I think diet played a part in it for me. Have you considered getting a second opinion just for peace of mind? I had a colonoscopy after my experience because so many of my tests were inconclusive, which helped shed some light on the issue too. I really think food matters because once I was cleared from the hospital and left I ate hot sauce (my favorite!) and ended up back in the ER within hours (can’t believe I ate that! In retrospect, poor choice but I was so excited to eat again after 24+ hours of not being able to!) good luck w this! I hope you find some answers soon. I think a food journal would help you track possible patterns between flare ups & foods.

Khushboo Thadani February 29, 2012 at 12:10 am

I hate doctors like that- so unempathetic! Perhaps try eliminating dairy from your diet? I have a friend who rushes to the loo whenever she eats dairy despite the relatively low lactose content of Greek yogurt!

Michelle February 29, 2012 at 12:52 am

I would find an RD that specializes in digestive wellness. I’ve heard amazing things about Kathie Swift. She specializes in IBD & even wrote a book on the topic! Everyone is different & will react differently to different foods. Find someone that can help you determine what works for you. Consider it an investment in your health :) Keep in mind, MD’s receive VERY little nutrition during their training.

Ashley February 29, 2012 at 12:59 am

Hi Tina, I’m sorry to hear you’re having digestive issues again. Three and a half years ago, at the age of 24, I was diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease. I was prescribed multiple medications which worked temporarily, but my symptoms continued to worsen. My small intestines became so inflamed that it almost closed up causing horrible pains every time I ate. I ended up losing 25 pounds in a short time. After about 3 months, I had surgery to remove 3 feet of my intestines. Afterwards, I thought, I would feel better, but to my dismay, I didn’t. I was so frustrated so I sought a second opinion. This doctor (who has Crohn’s himself), when asked about diet changes, told me ‘all those diets are crap’ to quote him directly. I was completely flabbergasted by this. Like you, I asked myself, how could this disease of the digestive system not be affected by diet? I started to do my own research and came across several books that suggested a plant based diet. I dove right in, and within two weeks, my pain had decreased to about 5% of what it was. I’ve been eating like this for a little over a year and have not had any flare ups except for one month (where I succumbed to my diary addiction, oops!). Changing your diet can be hard, but in the end it’s completely 100% worth it.

I would recommend seeking a second opinion Don’t settle for a doctor that is going to brush off any alternatives to medications. I haven’t been to one, but I hear naturopathic doctors are very successful at treating these diseases with diet. If there is anything that I have learned from this, it is that you have to be proactive when it comes to your health. Don’t let some doctor tell you that you’re going to need medications for the rest of your life.

Keep your chin up! Things will get better, trust me!

Cyndi February 29, 2012 at 5:33 am

I would possibly see a different doctor. It’s very hard to believe that your food intake wouldn’t be a factor. In my opinion, proper diet and nutrition can treat many illnesses and make a big difference.
    Hope you feel better soon!

Mary February 29, 2012 at 6:59 am

My GI symptoms, although not as severe as colitis, were helped from cutting wheat from my diet. I find that, for me, it is a very inflammatory food. I fell off that wagon and find myself again struggling with some issues, and my plan is once again to cut wheat. My head is not quite there yet. I eat a lot of whole grains, and the thought of giving them up is daunting, but I can’t argue with what has worked before.

Have you thought about doing an elimination diet experiment on yourself? You could look at what you usually eat and cut things out that may be the culprit. The fact that the chicken and avocado were fine but the turkey sandwich was not might point to the bread the sandwich was on as being an issue.

In any case, I hope that you feel better soon and find some relief from these flares! I will be thinking of you!

Taryn February 29, 2012 at 8:29 am

I went gluten free for awhile to see if it would help my symptoms at all. At first i felt great! and then i had another flare…so i figured if i’m going to get flares either way, might as well enjoy my bread! keeping a food journal is honestly the best way to really see what will work with your body. My doctor told me, as well, that changing my diet wouldn’t help, but i’m one to believe that food can either help or hurt your body, and that i’d rather adjust my lifestyle than take a cocktail of drugs. For me, personally, I have to really be careful about my fiber intake because too much will not agree with me, but too little means my colon is also unhappy. i still enjoy my spicy foods, and i still eat some dairy…some makes me feel okay, others might make my stomach unhappy, but it’s all about balance! keep journaling and i’m sure you’ll start to see some patterns and can figure out what is going to work best for you!

Kara Mitchell February 29, 2012 at 8:29 am

I’m so sorry to hear about you going through all of this, it must be harder than you can express. I haven’t read all of the other comments so this might be a repeat, but I just watched a documentary called “Forks Over Knives” that you might want to check out (it’s free streaming on Netflix). The doctors in it talk about a plant based diet and how they have used it to cure a lot of crazy diseases simply by eliminating dairy, meat, and processed foods. Just an idea, I hope you start feeling better!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 29, 2012 at 8:38 am

With my recent diagnosis of Crohn’s Disease, its been quite the struggle to figure out which foods I can handle and which I can’t. I’m in the middle of a flare up now so I know what you are dealing with. I’ve started seeing a nutritional counselor to help me because I know I’m not getting all of the vitamins and nutrients that I need. I find that you need to try to stick to eating white breads, potatoes, chicken, turkey, and bland foods. Wheat might cause you problems as well as some vegetables and fruits. Be sure to remove the skin of whatever you might eat. The skin is fibrous and that makes stomach issues worse right now during a flare. Best of luck.

wyoinap February 29, 2012 at 9:11 am

Hi! i know your love for coffee runs deep but consider eliminating with soy milk for a week or so and see how you feel. try Green tea instead. I agree with others. more plant based food and lean protein and greek yogurt/probiotics. definitely eliminate one thing at a time that you eat regularly and then work back in slowly to determine if that is a trigger.

Good luck!

Dominique February 29, 2012 at 9:18 am

I’m so sorry to hear about this. Have you considered eating a completely clean diet, like paleo for several weeks, just to see how your body responds? I’d say it’s worth a shot.

BTW, I love the potty humor, we are all laughing with you. :)

-dom

Jenn February 29, 2012 at 9:54 am

I have a genetic marker that causes sever chronic inflammation in different parts of my body. I have been unable to get it under control for the last 15 years and am on a chemotherapy drug to help manage. In an effort to see if any of my food habits are contributing I’m trying out this program http://whole9life.com/category/whole-30/ which eliminates inflammation causing foods from your diet for about 30 days and then with trial and error you can slowly add back in one food group at a time to see what could be causing the inflammation. I’m only on day 3 but to be honest I already feel better and am noticing less pain. This isn’t for everyone but it may be helpful info to check out.

Bruna February 29, 2012 at 10:22 am

Hey Tina, I know for sure about this study that proved how food really almost cure colitis. There is a book about it. I’m gonna look it up the name for you. I have this weird feeling that it will really help you.

Tina February 29, 2012 at 10:23 am

@Bruna: Thank you! :)

Jen @ Such a Funny Fat February 29, 2012 at 10:26 am

Hi Tina,
    I completely understand your confusion about diet affecting your flares and I know that anything carbonated or fried can end up being a battle in my intestines that I have never won. This book may bring some relief as the author really believes that diet can be the way to fix the Colitis issues. http://www.amazon.com/They-Said-Wasnt-Possible-Impossible/dp/1412082129/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330529006&sr=8-2

I tried it for awhile and it did seem to help but my flares were a little out of control and I was hospitalized a lot until I finally ended up having surgery.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

CL February 29, 2012 at 11:21 am

I hope you feel better! From what I read it seams you eat a lot of seeds- and add them to your meals for nutrients. I personally, can not digest seeds in any form of comfortable way- that would be pop corn… sesame seeds on a bun etc etc- no matter how small or large. Try not adding them for a week or so! See if it helps?

Best of luck!

chelsea February 29, 2012 at 11:58 am

LMAO at that pic! “I may have overtrusted that fart” Yep, happens sometimes! Thats what you call a “shart”

Paige @ Healthy Hits the Spot February 29, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I am soo sorry to hear you are going through all of this Tina! I would definitely try and stay away from Gluten, and maybe even Coffee “/ I know not drinking Coffee would be soo hard, but since it is a laxative, it probably won’t help you… I am disappointed in your doctor.. he should have told you more.. Have you considered seeing a Naturopath? I know sooo many people who have been SOOO HELPED by Naturopathy, including myself!

becca February 29, 2012 at 12:11 pm

My husband has ulcerative collitis. He got it in college (about 15 years ago). It is a chronic condition. He will have it for the rest of his life. He has gone to several doctors over the years and finally found one that works for him in Boston. Everyone’s body works differently, so you need to find a doctor that works for your needs.

Diet absolutely can set an episode off (too much fiber, whole wheat, seeds, dairy, he avoid the skin on any veggies and avoids raw veggies). I buy white bread for him, whole wheat for me. Listen to your body and keep your food diary and how you feel.

Stress and too little sleep affects him more than anything else.

He lives a very busy life though and gets plenty of exercise. He has been fairly episode free for a year. He takes medicine daily that works for him.

joan February 29, 2012 at 12:38 pm

It definitely is trial and error. I have found with me it is a build up. I don’t know quite how to explain it. Example…that turkey sandwich may be fine for you, but if you have eaten something or things in the preceding 2 or 3 days, (that cause inflamation, but during which time you felt fine/symtoms not showing), then with eating that turkey sandwich the following day…not good.
    Stress is huge. Sometimes we don’t think we are, but our bodies are telling us different. I don’t know how to figure that one out, because if our minds don’t feel it, how can we fix it. LOL
    Hope you are feeling better soon.

Ryan - Spicy Richmond February 29, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis at 14 (which is young as it usually comes on in your 40′s). I’m surprised your doctor told you to steer away from “roughage” because typically flare ups will cause you to become anemic and a lot of spinach, etc. has tons of iron. I’ve also been told spinach and other leafy greens are good “scrubbies for your colon” and will also help with regularity and prevent the frequent trips to the bathroom. Cause really, who wants to keep running to the bathroom? No one. I would think talking to an additional GI doctor couldn’t hurt just to make sure you get the right diagnosis. Typically, Colitis can be cured with medicine but has he diagnosed you with UC?

Best of luck!

Nidhi March 2, 2012 at 9:22 am

@Ryan – Spicy Richmond:
    Hi Ryan,
    My 14 year old daughter is just diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. I did not find anybody of her age with UC. So when I read your comments on this blog, I got some hope to know how I can handle this situation. Right now, we are devastated. She is still on full medication. Please provide some your experienced suggestions which will help us to start tackling it.

Thanks
    looking forward to hear from you.
    A Concerned mom

Amber K February 29, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Wow, so many comments with so many different opinions! I haven’t been diagnosed with any particular disease, but I do know that the food I eat seems to affect how I’m going to feel for the day. It is incredibly frustrating, especially because there seems to be at least a 24 hour delay when it comes to my symptoms. I’m still trying to figure out exactly what will happen on any particular day. I hope the tests will provide some answers! Mine were pretty much negative for everything and that’s the most annoying part.

Melissa February 29, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Hi Tina,
    I’m sorry to read about your struggles right now. It’s amazing to see how many of your readers have struggled with (and learned how to manage) illness / wellness issues. I have nothing but faith that you will figure it out!!! My story is a diagnosis of Crohn’s disease that goes back 14 years. (Chrohn’s and Colitis are considered closely related). For the first 11 years, no doctor I saw could recommend a specific eating program and many claimed diet wasn’t related. No one gave me any helpful recommendations. (Or if they did, I wasn’t ready to hear them.) I went through a surgery and 3 more hospitalizations before I landed with a doctor who is truly wellness based. He provided me information from healthcastle.net about what foods to eat during a flare (search for a “low residue diet”) and how to eat differently when not in a flare. (I think that might be called “high residue”). The low residue diet is not a nutritional superstar – it’s things like white bread, white rice, crackers, soup, mashed potatoes, etc. Essentially, things that are easily digestible… but in general, “no-nos” for weight loss. I’ve found that reverting to low residue diet when there’s a hint of an approaching flare has made a huge difference in avoiding a hospitalization. Additionally, I found a book called “Great Taste No Pain” by Sherry Brescia – and it introduced me to a more proactive approach to avoiding flares. With the help of that book, I have learned to be even more aware of the basic food combinations that my body befriends and rejects. It has been cited as a HUGELY helpful resource for people with crohns, colitis, and other related illnesses. Please email me if you have any questions about my journey or progress of recovery. I’ve been hospital free (and largely pain free) for about 3 years now. I’m strong enough to exercise and living a healthy, happy life. The challenge is in remembering to balance my personal health /dietary needs with general advice for fitness and wellness. Wishing you all the best, and knowing you’ll get it figured out. – Melissa :)

Karlee @ BringingBackBalance February 29, 2012 at 3:54 pm

I don’t understand how doctors don’t understand the link between the foods we eat and A DISEASE THAT ORIGINATES IN THE COLON. Like c’mon! When I eat something bad my poop lets me know, and I don’t have any type of inflammatory bowel disease. Obviously the foods that you eat (that will be passing through your colon) play a role in aggravating your already angry colon.

I don’t have any scientific research to back it up.. Also sorry I am a little pushy with this subject. I just honestly believe that the foods you eat can help heal your body.

I am sorry that you have to deal with this. Take this as an opportunity to relax a little, and you will be back in motion in no time :)

Laura WL February 29, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I agree with other comments that you should get another opinion. Doctors are service providers, so I think it makes sense to see another doctor that is perhaps better suited to you.
    I also wanted to recommend probiotics, which I am glad your doctor did. I’ve had digestive “disturbances” for most of my life and my mom (who is really into naturopathy, she’s a 30 yr cancer survivor) always asks “Are you taking your probiotics?” They really DO help, especially if you’ve taken antibiotics recently.

Kate February 29, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I don’t know if you read her blog, but she has Crohn’s and may provide some useful info.

Kate February 29, 2012 at 4:40 pm

sorry this would be helpful: http://www.aliontherunblog.com/

Tina February 29, 2012 at 4:42 pm

@Kate: Ali is great! She helped a ton during my first flare! :)

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie February 29, 2012 at 5:31 pm

At least sweet potatoes are still in :)

Jennyj February 29, 2012 at 6:40 pm

According to what I’ve read and heard, medical doctors do not take classes in nutrition during their medical training. So, that could explain why your doctor isn’t putting much stock in diet as a trigger.

laura@Foodsnobstl February 29, 2012 at 8:34 pm

My husband has crohns and every single doctor tells him diet doesn’t matter, but it does! You might want to look into the GAPS or Makers Diet. Or maybe try a holistic doctor.

Laura February 29, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I had a flexible sigmoidoscopy and the doctor found “nothing.” I also took the VSL3 for a couple of months and didn’t notice any improvement – now I just take Whole Foods probiotics. I hope you feel better soon!

Carisa February 29, 2012 at 11:07 pm

You definitely need a second opinion! Food can affect everything from skin issues to behavior. Getting on top of dietary issues/restrictions has totally healed my family (two of us have Celiac, two are gluten sensitive and one needs to stay away from eggs, dairy and soy in addition to gluten). While it isn’t easy, it’s well worth it.

Kath March 1, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Sorry you’re going through this again :(

Holly March 4, 2012 at 12:45 pm

Tina, I love following your blog (have been for years) and although I’ve never written to you, I couldn’t help myself because I thought I might have some good feedback for you.

I’ve also been struggling with GI issues for a few years (started suddenly around 27-28 yrs of age). Even though I’ve been to numerous GI docs and had every procedure under the sun done to no avail, the one thing that has helped me are starting a probiotic and L-glutamine once a day. These are what I buy, generally at Whole Foods or Earthfare: 1) Solaray – Multidophilus 12 20 Billion Twelve-Strain Formula Vegetarian Capsules and 2) L-Glutamine 500 MG by Country Life Vegetarian Capsules. You can also order these on Amazon.

I’ve been a vegetarian my whole life, so a “change” in my diet wasn’t so feasible because so many things are already cut out; I’m nearly vegan. By simply taking these once a day, it has helped tremendously! My registered dietician recommended these and it’s the ONLY thing that’s helped. They are also both inexpensive (I tried taking Align, which is fairly expensive, and it didn’t help at all).

Anyway, good luck girl and stay positive!!!! :)
    Holly

Lissa March 4, 2012 at 1:15 pm

From my amazing friend Katie @ RootedWellbeing.com – “She needs to go totally grain free, remove all stimulants, add in herbs/supplements to heal the digestive tract (not just probiotics) and follow the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. It takes a while to heal but hands down best method. If she wants to chat how to actually do this… I’d love to talk to her. :)” katie (at) rootedwellbeing (dot) com

Tina March 5, 2012 at 7:25 am

Thank you! :)

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop March 5, 2012 at 1:25 pm

I am so behind on reading your blogs but thought I should jump back to this one. I’m so sorry to hear that you are having a flare up! And that your doc wasn’t very helpful. Is he is your general practitioner or a specialist? I just had to tell you a quick story though (leading to why I don’t trust most doctors’ advice). The son of a friend of mine was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes before he was 2. This was pretty recently. They asked all sorts of questions about diet and things. Know what the doctor told them? To not worry about changing the diet and just give him a shot of insulin whenever he needs it. He can eat cookies and candies as much as he wants, just regulate the blood sugar with shots. So instead of teaching him how to eat according to his disease, he is going to be insulin dependent! So I guess I’m just saying that maybe you should look for a second opinion!

I hope you are feeling better!!
    ~Ang

April Lynne March 26, 2012 at 9:51 am

I’ve been following your blog for a while for all of the great workout and food tips… this morning, I’m combing through the colitis posts because I’m dealing with some new and frustrating GI issues right now. I’ve been a lacto-ovo-pescatarian for years and focussed on lots of whole grains and veggies. Never had an issue with gluten or grains, that I knew of. Last summer I switched out my morning cereal and milk for green juice (cucumber, kale, romaine, and celery) and it seemed to do wonders for my complexion and general “feeling great”. But over the winter I’ve seen an increase in dry skin patches (I think excema) and teeny-tiny red bumps on my face. I chalked it up to running outside in the cold wind. This Lent I decided to give up dairy and eggs (which I ate a LOT of) and since then, being entirely pescatarian, I’ve had horrible stomach cramps, abdominal pain, bloating, and more toilet-worshipping than I’d like to have. I’m starting a food and stomach-issues diary today and going in to see my MD next week. Hopefully she can put the puzzle pieces together and help me figure out what’s going on.

And I hope you’re feeling better! Thanks for sharing your health issues with us… it’s a great inspiration as well as informative!!
    April