• Bob Harper Interview: All About CrossFit

February 15, 2012

Do you remember when I had the opportunity to interview Bob Harper and, to my surprise (and delight), more than half of his responses were about CrossFit? Well, apparently, for the past several months, Bob Harper has been training at BRICK CrossFit in Los Angeles, where he has been rockin’ the WODs and absolutely loving it. So, when the folks, who represent both BRICK and Bob Harper’s Smart Success Products, contacted me a couple of weeks ago, I was all about asking them for an interview. I wanted to hear more about Bob and his love for CrossFit!

BOB_HARPER (614x800)

Without further ado, here’s my (all about CrossFit) email interview with Bob Harper!

How long have you been doing CrossFit?

I’ve been doing CrossFit now for 5 months.

What’s your typical workout schedule like each week?

I try to get in 6 days a week with one day off.  What made you want to try CrossFit? I saw a lot of videos posted on YouTube and was so intrigued by the intensity of the workouts.

What’s your favorite CrossFit workout?

I love all of the Olympic lifting because it is so new to me. I never realized how technical all the movements are.

What CrossFit workout(s) have kicked your butt?

Well, of course, Fran is murder. Also Linda and Santiago are absolutely bone crushing.

What advice would you give someone who wants to try CrossFit for the first time?

Make sure you go to a CrossFit-certified coach that works at a CrossFit affiliated box.

What do you think of the Paleo diet? Does your diet incorporate any elements of it?

I believe in a well balanced diet that consists of the right amount of protein, carbohydrates and fat. I can’t live without my oatmeal every morning.

How has your body changed since starting to take regular CrossFit classes?

I have definitely seen more lean muscle mass on my body and my body fat percentage has lowered drastically.

What do you wish you knew when you first started CrossFit?

I wish I knew that I was gonna have to buy all new sports coats! My shoulders and arms have never been bigger.

In your opinion, what are some misconceptions about CrossFit?

I think the biggest misconception is that people say that it’s unsafe. Any exercises done improperly are dangerous, that’s why it’s important to work with a CrossFit certified coach.

What do you think is the best thing about CrossFit?

I like the fact that my Crossfit workouts are a high intensity for a short amount of time. I am achieving better results than pounding my body on those long cardio workouts that I used to do.

Thanks so much for the interview, Bob! I loved reading your responses. Happy CrossFit-ing!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh February 15, 2012 at 2:28 pm

It’s good to know that even a trainer whose been at it as long as Bob has can be inspired to try something new and get in even better shape! Thanks for the interview!

Jenaé (@YogaEatRun) February 15, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I’ve been seeing his enthusiasm for Crossfit and I’ve been watching youtube vids on what it’s like and I really really want to try it!! It’s expensive though and that’s the only thing holding me back I guess. I think I’ll still try some workouts that I’ve seen on Youtube tho!!

Katie February 15, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Tina, can you tell us about the typical amount of time a crossfit workout takes from start to finish? I.e. – when you get there, do you warm up? What does that look like? And then many of the WODs you describe seem like they are only 15 minutes. Once you get to your “box” are you only there for 20-25 minutes?

Tina February 15, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Check my FAQs! :)

Katie February 15, 2012 at 3:48 pm

@Tina:
    awesome, thanks!

Christine (Merf) February 15, 2012 at 2:33 pm

<3 Bob!!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 15, 2012 at 2:33 pm

While I haven’t done crossfit because of it’s distance from me, I’ve been doing Bodyrock workouts recently and I too love the intensity of such a short workout compared to the 1-2 hours of running I was doing before. Seems so much more effective!

Sneakers2Sandals February 15, 2012 at 2:35 pm

awesome awesome post! you and kathleen at thedailycrumb are inspiring me to try crossfit :)

Parita @ myinnershakti February 15, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Great opportunity, Tina! I especially love how he mentions the importance of a well balanced diet because I can’t live without my (healthy) carbs either.

Cait's Plate February 15, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Love this! Thanks for sharing :)

michelle kim February 15, 2012 at 2:49 pm

Great interview! I would love to try Crossfit… maybe one day when I have the monies. It sounds so challenging and high-caliber!

KerriAnn February 15, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Love Bob Harper & Crossfit! I’ve seen my body fat drop 5% in the last month since I started crossit! My next goal is to get my bodyfat % from “overweight” to Normal (another 5%) in the next few months!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 15, 2012 at 3:28 pm

Ahh I love bob! I’ve wanted to try crossfit, but i just can’t afford it! I wonder though if this is just another exercise trend or not, I know it gets great results but I feel like fitness is constantly evolving!

Bonnie February 15, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Great interview! Good to hear all that from Bob…love doing Crossfit type workouts at home. :D Also, that is one smokin’ picture of Bob! I don’t normally comment on stuff like that but thought it so I thought I might as well type it. ;)

RunEatRepeat February 15, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I saw a Groupon for unlimited CrossFit for a month and considered doing it because of you :)
    But I didn’t.
    Cause I’m tired.

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 15, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Great post! It’s fun to see different views on a variety of forms of fitness! Sounds like CF is a great thing for him.

Julie @ Shining From Within February 15, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Cool interview!!! Would’ve loved to hear more about his healthy lifestyle or favorite healthy foods…I’m always interested in that : )

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction February 15, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I love Bob Harper! That’s awesome that you to interview him!

Lena @ Fit on the Rocks February 15, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I’m waiting for a Groupon to roll around to give it a try. For now, the full price is just too costly for me, but it looks like a great way to switch up my workouts. I secretly did a little hoorah in my head when I saw Bob’s comment about the Paleo diet. I don’t have anything against it, but I love me some carbs.

Cortney February 15, 2012 at 8:53 pm

@Lena @ Fit on the Rocks: It’s a common misconception that the Paleo diet is “low carb”, but it’s definitely not- sweet potatoes, carrots, root vegetables, unlimited veggies/fruits- are all pretty carb-y. You don’t have to track carbs at all, you just cut out grains (and since grains are carbs, I think this is where a lot of people think it’s a low carb diet).

Jordan K. February 15, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I love Bob Harper….and I love that he loves CrossFit too! Thanks for sharing – what a fun interview!

Rachel February 15, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I’m dying to try CrossFit! But I, too, am waiting until a Groupon rolls around, or until it’s at least cheaper than my monthly gym membership. That’s the bummer about specialty gyms (CrossFit, climbing gyms, etc.): they offer such great outlets and experiences, but that’s all they offer, and the price tag is so high!

I wish I could join ALL the gyms. :)

Sarah (I Dream of Beets) February 15, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I have Crossfit 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats, 100 pullups tonight. I’m so scared!

Roselyn @ A Balanced Fit February 15, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I love Crossfit AND Bob! My husband and I were noticing how much “bigger” Bob was in last night’s BL episode. I knew it had to be the Crossit! :)

Alaina February 15, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I think this would actually be very beneficial to me, because I would love to workout quickly, yet efficiently. I sometimes dread going to the gym or out for a long run because I know how much time it’ll take me.

kathleen @ the daily crumb February 15, 2012 at 5:57 pm

so interesting!! i’ve been doing crossfit for a few weeks now and loving it! thanks for the motivation to give it a try, tina!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated February 15, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I’m so jealous!! What a cool opportunity! :)

Molly @ RDexposed February 15, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Love the Paleo response!

Alyssa (The Other One) February 15, 2012 at 6:23 pm

This is encouraging: isn’t Bob a vegetarian? One of my fears about trying CrossFit is that I don’t want to feel pressured to eat a Paleo diet. Sounds like he eats a balanced diet & is still getting results.

Cortney February 15, 2012 at 8:54 pm

@Alyssa (The Other One): Last I read, he was vegan. I was kind of surprised he didn’t specifically say “no, I’m a vegan” in his answer, since in the past he’s been very vocal about what he believes are the health benefits of such a diet.

Lauren February 16, 2012 at 9:52 am

@Alyssa (The Other One): I have the same concern. I’m a vegetarian, and while I don’t care at all what anyone else does with her diet, I’m just not interested in eating meat, or being told that I should incorporate it into my diet. I know that being a vegetarian is technically feasible with the Paleo Diet, but from what I’ve read, it sounds like quite a bit of work. (And it can be hard enough to be a vegetarian/vegan, as is!) I also like grains, so there’s that. (I firmly believe they’re not the enemy).

Anyway, I find it heartening to read that Bob espouses a well-balanced diet that doesn’t neglect any major food groups. The Paleo Diet does have some advantages (people should absolutely eat more fresh fruits and vegetables, and more unprocessed foods), but I find the focus on meat to be a limiting factor.

Ian October 2, 2012 at 4:27 pm

@Lauren:

It is not “technically feasible” to be a vegetarian with the Paleo diet. The Paleo diet is the opposite of a vegetarian diet. Plaeo is about protein and fat from Meat, vegetables seeds and nuts. There are no beans (i.e. no tofu), no dairy. Paleo is about eating meat.

Laura Jane @ Recovering Chocoholic February 15, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Interesting interview. I love the idea that you can get more accomplished in less time by doing more intense workouts like that.

Clare February 15, 2012 at 7:15 pm

So cool :) Love Bob! Very interesting interview, thanks for sharing!

Wifey February 15, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Very cool. I’m in the process of gassing myself up to try Crossfit! Gasp!

Winks & Smiles,
    Wifey

Dena @ 40 Fit in the Mitt February 15, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Can you believe there is not one Crossfit class taught within 40 miles of my house. I hope someone gets it in my area soon, I’d love to take a class

Hilary February 15, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Yeah I totally need to up the intensity of my workouts…I’m just not getting results! Thanks for sharing!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 15, 2012 at 9:33 pm

LOVE bob harper!

Lisa February 15, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I love his response about the paleo diet…I totally agree, you cannot cut out entire food groups and be healthy. It’s all about balance and moderation! It drives me nuts when people go on these type of diets because before you know it their on to something else. Thats what happens when you deny yourself something entirely.

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva February 15, 2012 at 10:39 pm

I’ve always been intrigued by crossfit but too nervous to try it out. This interview cleared up a lot of misconceptions…it is definitely a goal of my to try it this year!!! Hopefully my shoulders will pop as well haha

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 15, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Great interview! I love Bob Harper! His workouts are tough!

Emily @LivingLongfellow February 15, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I love this man so hard core. Cross fit is something SERIOUS these days. So tempted to try it.

Kelly @ Vegolosophy February 16, 2012 at 12:14 am

Such an awesome opportunity to interview Bob!!!

Khushboo Thadani February 16, 2012 at 1:00 am

Great interview! I love Bob’s emphasis on a balanced diet and totally agree about the benefit of shorter, yet more efficient, workouts over steady-state cardio!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie February 16, 2012 at 1:52 am

Good to know that Bob can’t live without his morning oats either ;)

Ananda R. February 16, 2012 at 7:58 am

I have been Crossfit-ing for about 6 weeks now while I love it, I’m disappointed that my body fat is not dropping like it seems to for other people. I’m not overweight… I’m at about 23% bf but I’m really hoping to get down to 20% or so before my wedding in June.

I do find it interesting that Bob tiptoed around the paleo question. I thought he was vegetarian or vegan as well. I wonder if he’s changing some of his eating habits with the Crossfit or if he just doesn’t want to get into his personal choices regarding food.

I also don’t subscribe to the Paleo eating plan but I really try to focus on veggies, beans, few meat products, whole grains, nuts and seeds in my daily diet.

Michelle M February 16, 2012 at 8:33 am

I saw Bob using some of the Crossfit WOD’s on Biggest Loser not too long ago. He never called it Crossfit, but I knew from your posts what he was doing. The group was talking about Bob having “these workouts called WODs” and the name “Fran” for one of them. I thought it was pretty cool.

Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers February 16, 2012 at 8:43 am

It’s so cool that you interviewed him. I can’t say I’m surprised to see him dropping a mention about oatmeal though – haha. :)

Sarah February 16, 2012 at 9:13 am

I’m glad to read he can’t go full Paleo, me either. love my oats as well!

Emily February 16, 2012 at 11:38 am

Love this man!

Devonshire February 16, 2012 at 11:52 am

Would you suggest crossfit to someone who is overweight? I’m trying to lose 80 pounds and one of my friends suggested crossfit. I ended up not going to the local box because i’m more of beginner with exercise and i figured i wouldn’t be able to keep up. Loved the interview with Bob, thanks for sharing!

Tina February 16, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Definitely! When you go for your intro session, just tell the coach(es) that you’re a beginner. They’ll take care of ya! :)

Susi May April 11, 2012 at 10:02 am

Wow! I love Brick! So cool that Bob is going CrossFit. Makes sense and cool to see a trainer trying new things.

Tina April 11, 2012 at 10:05 am

Hi Susi! :)

Hailey April 23, 2012 at 8:20 pm

The only reason he gave that response about Paleo is because he’s a spokesperson for Quaker Oats. DUH, PEOPLE! I also love how people dogging on Paleo have NO IDEA what they’re talking about…. It’s not about arbitrarily cutting out an entire group of foods, it’s cutting out foods that contribute to insulin resistance and weight gain. The heaviest offenders? Grains, because they’re essentially sugar.

Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats May 15, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I love Bob. Like seriously, I starting to swoon over here…