• A Red Dress In My Suitcase

February 15, 2012

Good morning!

I’m heading down to New York City today for the 2012 Woman’s Day Red Dress Awards as a guest of Campbell Soup, who kindly offered to cover the cost of my ticket to the event as well as my travel to and from the Big Apple. (Does my new red dress make sense now?)

2012-02-15_0844

The Woman’s Day Red Dress Awards will commemorate American Heart Month by honoring seven incredible individuals who have made significant contributions to the fight against heart disease, the number one killer of women today. Hoda Kotb, co-host of the fourth hour of NBC’s Today, will emcee the event, which will feature performances by Sugarland, Javier Colon, Naturally 7, and Dj Mia Moretti and violinist Caitlin Moe. It’s quite the star-studded event!

One of the Award’s sponsors, Campbell Soup, is teaming up with one of Bravo’s “Top Chef All-Stars,” Richard Blais, to cook for a cause with Campbell’s AdDress Your Heart Cooking Challenge, which challenged him to create a delicious dish using two of Campbell’s nearly 100 heart-healthy products, all in support of the American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women movement. Blais is personally committed to heart health through his own diet and exercise routine, having lost 60 pounds since 2002, as well as completing his first marathon (NYCM!) in 2011.

The Red Dress Awards not only honor those making a difference in the fight against heart disease, but also gives others the chance to make a difference. Tickets for the event are available at www.womansday.com/reddress.

I’m so excited to attend this event tonight. What an awesome opportunity! Thanks, Campbell Soup!

Breakfast

I started my morning with an egg and cheese sandwich on a toasted Everything bagel. Mal ate a bagel egg sandwich for breakfast, so I copied him.

I also drank an iced coffee with soy milk.

Lunch

I packed my lunch to take with me on the train down to NYC in order to save money and have healthier food options available to me.

On the menu: sweet potato wedges, roasted Brussels sprouts, and chicken with a container of pineapple Chobani and a bottle of water. I’m already looking forward to this meal—lots of my favorite foods!

My ride should be here any minute now.

See you in NYC!

P.S. If you haven’t had a chance to enter yet, there’s still time to participate in my Valentine’s Day Scavenger Hunt!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope February 15, 2012 at 9:29 am

What a great opportunity! Have a great time!! :) That breakfast sandwich looks delicious. I love everything bagels.

kathleen @ the daily crumb February 15, 2012 at 9:33 am

mmmm bagel sammies are my favorite! especially with extra gooey cheese :) safe travels!

Amy February 15, 2012 at 9:49 am

What a great event! Have a lovely time and can’t wait to hear the recap!

Angela February 15, 2012 at 9:49 am

The red dress event sounds like a lot of fun! Also, great sounding lunch. I love it when I pack something so good that I’m looking forward to it hours before! Have fun Tina!

Debbie (Accidently Delish) February 15, 2012 at 9:49 am

you’ll have a blast! have a great time doll <3

Ali @ Peaches and Football February 15, 2012 at 9:50 am

A free trip to NY? Awesome! Have a wonderful time!!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed February 15, 2012 at 9:50 am

you’re having a bagel the morning before your arrival into the best bagel place of the world? you crack me up.

Get Theodora to get you an ess-a-bagel while you’re here. I also hope the sun comes out to greet you, it’s downright depressing today.

Theodora February 15, 2012 at 11:44 am

@Cat @Breakfast to Bed: haha true :) I’m more of a West Side girl..but I’ll make sure she tries Ess-a-Bagel one of these days!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 15, 2012 at 9:51 am

aha, the red dress does indeed make a lot more sense now! :) which one did you choose?! what a fun event and great opportunity!! hope you have an awesome time!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh February 15, 2012 at 9:51 am

Can’t wait to hear all about it and see you in one of your sassy red dresses. Breakfast looks yummy! Have a safe flight and a great trip!

Jessica H. February 15, 2012 at 9:54 am

Chobani Pineapple is my all time favorite yogurt! Yum!!

Mindy - clueless nut February 15, 2012 at 9:55 am

I love the Banana Republic lunch box :-)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 15, 2012 at 9:56 am

I had a feeling the red dress had something to do with that! Haha it was a very extensive search just for something to wear on Valentine’s day. Have a great trip!

Cait's Plate February 15, 2012 at 9:58 am

I feel like you’re in the city so often you should own a part-time home there! Safe travels – it’s rainy and dreary here :(

Khushboo February 15, 2012 at 10:00 am

That bagel looks delicious but I hope you will be going all with one in NY…ah just thinking about them makes me hungrY!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio February 15, 2012 at 10:09 am

Have a fantastic time!!! I know you love NYC!

Olivia February 15, 2012 at 10:11 am

Have fun in NYC again! You are so lucky to live so close and get to go soooo often. And for free. Major jealousy!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 15, 2012 at 10:19 am

What a great event! Heart month is extra special to me since I work with heart patients every day. Enjoy yourself!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats February 15, 2012 at 10:40 am

I am so jealous!! Have a great/safe trip!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats February 15, 2012 at 10:40 am

I am so jealous!! Have a great/safe trip!

Corrie Anne February 15, 2012 at 10:43 am

Sounds like such a fun trip! Can’t wait to see all the red dresses!!

katie @ KatieDid February 15, 2012 at 10:43 am

ohh have fun at the event, looks like a great cause! Nyc is always such a blast.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 15, 2012 at 10:44 am

How cool! Have fun :D

Becca @ Blueberry Smiles February 15, 2012 at 10:48 am

Sounds like such a fun event! Looking forward to hearing about it!

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves February 15, 2012 at 10:51 am

Sounds like such a fun event! I loved Richard Blais on Top Chef.

Jessica February 15, 2012 at 11:03 am

I love that you will be there. I just wrote a whole post on heart healthy! Go Red!

Anna February 15, 2012 at 11:11 am

Ohh have fun in NYC! I saw the red dresses and I loved the one on the left!

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 15, 2012 at 11:20 am

I loved Richard on Top Chef! What a great event, have fun :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 15, 2012 at 11:38 am

I had a very similar breakfast!! I used to eat nothing but oatmeal, but I’m starting to really look forward to my savory breakfasts! This event you’re going to sounds like a lot of fun!! Looking forward to the recap :D

Molly February 15, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I spent a few days with Richard this January at the Food and Wine event in Grand Cayman. He is INCREDIBLE. and SO SO SO nice! You should ask him about his sirRANCHa sauce ;) Have so much fun!

Elle @ nutritionella February 15, 2012 at 12:09 pm

That bagel just made my stomach growl! Have a great time at the event!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 15, 2012 at 12:31 pm

What a fun evening–ENJOY!!

KerriAnn February 15, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Wow. I like that event! Heart disease runs in my family so I am jealous you are going to meet all these incredible honorees! Have a great trip!

Ellie@Fit for the Soul February 15, 2012 at 12:35 pm

awesome opportunity Tina!~I hope you have a great time at the Red Dress event :D

Grace @ Healthy Dreaming February 15, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Have a wonderful evening. I love a good red dress. It’s a MUST-HAVE in any wardrobe.

Jessica February 15, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I LOVE Richard Blais! And your bagel looks so delicious. Have a good day!

Roz@weightingfor50 February 15, 2012 at 2:26 pm

How fun. Look forward to the red recap!!!!!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) February 15, 2012 at 3:17 pm

sounds like a great event! Have fun!

Meg @ Spandex in the City February 15, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I have never tried the pineapple one, is it really pineapplely tasting?
    and have fun in NYC…looks like a fun event and for a great cause.

Ellen Renee February 15, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I am not a huge fan of any yogurt – but make myself eat it. I LOVE their pineapple yogurt! It has nice bits of the fruit in it.

Cait February 16, 2012 at 1:12 am

Tina — while there are many aspects of your blog
    I do enjoy, this type of promotional/freebie stuff is getting out of hand. I understand that, as a popular blogger, you must get tons of offers, but really must you accept them all? Especially ones as random as this – some women’s heart health event with random “celebrities” that kind of just seems to be a marketing gimmick for Campbell soup? Not to mention the way you write about it seems as if you just copied and pasted from whatever promo material you were given. It seems like as a writer you might want to have more discretion and some critical distance. It’s hard to take your opinions on things seriously right now.

Tina February 16, 2012 at 6:12 am

I actually turn down tons and tons of events, but his one meant a lot to me so I went. It was an event to raise awareness for women’s heart health with honorees including the Surgeon General and other women who have done amazing things for heart research. Heart disease is the #1 killer of women. It’s an important cause, and anything I can do to spread the word and bring light to it is the least I can do. I’m shocked that anyone would give me a hard time about an event like this.

Cait February 16, 2012 at 11:30 am

@Tina: I agree that heart disease is a very important topic – it has touched my own family many times i think you would be hard pressed to find someone who didnt think it was important. But I think there are many, many other ways to intelligently bring light to a topic such as this without going to a fancy soirée in NYC – you could write a post about the issue, hold a fundraiser on your blog, ask Campbell’s to donate the amount they would have spent on your travel/hotel costs to the American Heart Assocition, etc. I wonder why you didn’t write about any of those amazing doctors/researchers honored at the event? Spend time talking about their work, instead of talking about your search to find a red dress? But again, its not that I’m critical of the event, it’s just hard to see how you going to this event is any different from you taking free trips to Mohegan Sun, or whatever that casino was, for the wine event. Or going to the Electrolux events. Do you go to those events because you are so passionate about casinos and induction cooking? For me, it’s all a bit much.

Tina February 16, 2012 at 11:39 am

@Cait: I attended the event last night, so I haven’t had a chance to blog about any of the attendees/their research or my experience there.

As for the other events, it is part of my job. I’m sorry that you don’t like reading about them. Maybe you shouldn’t read those posts.

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie February 16, 2012 at 1:54 am

I look forward to meals with my “favorites” too! Silly but true :)

Tracy February 16, 2012 at 3:06 pm

If I had the chance to go on a paid experience such as this one or any of the others you have done…. I would jump at the chance. I’m not sure why people are so critical.