• A Great Start

February 5, 2012

Today is off to a great start!

After breakfast, I had an awesome workout at CrossFit. Sundays are “open gym” days, so there isn’t a formal class, but members can come in and work on skills or do workouts that they missed during the week.

Mal and I wanted to do a timed mile run, so we warmed up and headed out to see how fast we could run it. I finished in 7:09, which…

Was fast enough to make “the board” at CrossFit 781! Woohoo! I actually think I could have pushed myself harder, so now I’m determined to break that time in the next few weeks.

After our run, Mal and I did a WOD that one of our friends tweeted the other day. It sounded like a good one, so we wrote it down to do during open gym today.

If you notice our times, I finished before Mal! I’m an animal!

Technically, Mal’s workout was more difficult than mine (he used a 24” box for the box jumps while I used a 20” one + he used a 20-pound medicine ball while I only used a 10-pound one), but it still felt great finishing before him!

After CrossFit, Mal and I swung by our house to get to Murphy to take him to the park. We also stopped to grab some vanilla protein powder to add to our Starbucks that we planned to get on the way to the park.

I ordered an iced grande soy latte to which I added a full scoop of protein powder.

I sort of worried that it might not mix well, but it did, no problem, and gave my latte a yummy vanilla flavor.

The weather was cold today—the thermometer on Mal’s car read 28 degrees when we arrived at the park.

Annnd, I drank my iced latte outside in 28 degree weather. I know, I look ridiculous.

Our park adventures included lots of “off-roading” in the woods today.

Here comes the dog strong and brave… ruff!

After our park adventures, we headed home to shower up and make lunch. On the menu: spaghetti squash with TJ’s turkey meatballs, nutritional yeast, and truffle oil. Yum x 10!

I’m making an Super Bowl appetizer and then heading to Grammie’s house!

Happy Superbowl, guys!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 5, 2012 at 2:59 pm

I am going to need to look for those turkey meatballs at Trader Joe’s, they look so good! I got some great chicken meatballs at whole foods last week, but they were a lot smaller!

Christie @ SpringJumps February 5, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Adding protein powder to your Starbucks is such a good idea! Have a great afternoon :)

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga February 5, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Good thinking to add the protein powder to your coffee for a little boost…I’ve done that at home for iced protein coffee ages ago when I used to do more protein powders.

Have a great Sunday afternoon and week, Tina :)

KaraHadley February 5, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Iced coffee was the ONLY way I could drink my old protein powder.

Sneakers2Sandals February 5, 2012 at 3:06 pm

You look so cute in your jacket! I sorta wish it was chilly here in FL. It is 80 degrees today and I was sweating at the Farmer’s market. Blah! I haven’t taken one look at my winter section of my closet this year.

erin g February 5, 2012 at 3:18 pm

geez Mal is fast! that is a quick mile… I wish I wasn’t basically a turtle when it comes to running!

Becca @ Blueberry Smiles February 5, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Good idea to add protein powder to your Starbucks! I’m guilty of drinking iced coffee in cold weather too- can’t help it

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 5, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I wasn’t thinking this morning either when we got coffee. I ordered an iced latte just as I remembered that we had to walk 2 miles home in 25 degree weather. At least the sun was out and that warmed my face!

Paige February 5, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I sort of hate Mal for being able to run a 5:35 mile…

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen February 5, 2012 at 3:43 pm

@Paige: ditto. haha

Lucy February 5, 2012 at 3:41 pm

You look like every other New Englander. We all drink iced coffee in the winter. What’s the big deal?

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop February 5, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Nice workout!! And wow you are fast!! I get excited when I break a 10 minute mile. Ha! Have a great time tonight watching the game!

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter February 5, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Love the idea that you added your protein powder to your iced coffee! Looks like you guys have had a great day so far! Happy Super Bowl and have a great night!

RunEatRepeat February 5, 2012 at 4:22 pm

You are FAST!!! I’m not going to be able to keep up in Boston.

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 5, 2012 at 4:23 pm

What great times for both you and Mal!!! Your awesome. Have fun watching the superbowl! (Sorry but) GO GIANTS!!!!!

Emilie February 5, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Can i buy from france by opensky??I am intersting about one of ur products

Hilary February 5, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Spaghetti squash and meatballs rules. I made it for dinner last week…yum!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape February 5, 2012 at 4:59 pm

That trail looks so pretty! Happy Super Bowl Sunday! Enjoy the game 😀

Megan February 5, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Yum! I haven’t had spaghetti squash in forever!

Ann @ Turbo Teacher February 5, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Brrrr! Looking at your pic makes me cold!! Happy Super Bowl!

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee February 5, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Congratulations!! Is that your mile PR? Pretty quick! :) I’ve never thought of adding protein powder to coffee. They should sell protein lattes at Starbucks. They’d make millions! Have a nice Super Bowl party.

Tina February 6, 2012 at 8:27 am
    katie @ KatieDid February 5, 2012 at 5:35 pm

what a fun day all around! awesome looking workouts and food as usual!

Laine Oppenheimer February 5, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Sounds like a great day! Tonight I’m making leftover pizza and your sweet potato fries…almost more exciting than the game :)

kyla February 5, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Dang girl look at dem legs! Can you say athletic and toned???!

Laura Jane @ Recovering Chocoholic February 5, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I never thought about adding protein powder to a Starbucks drink. That’s a great idea!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats February 5, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Love TJ’s turkey meatballs!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 5, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I love your idea to add protein powder to an iced coffee! Now I’ll be able to make vanilla iced lattes at home. Yum!

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles February 5, 2012 at 7:19 pm

There’s no way I could have been drinking an iced latte over there, but I would have gone for a hot protein powder latte! =)

Clare @ SweetnSimple February 5, 2012 at 7:22 pm

Awesome workout! Love those days :) Your little adventure in the woods looks fun too, nice way to spend a Sunday morning 😉

Ash Bear February 5, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Doing a mile diagnostic is a great idea! I haven’t tried to run a mile for time in ages. Maybe I’ll add that to this week’s plan.

chelsea February 5, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Why have I never added protein powder to starbucks before!? Thank you for the idea!

michelle kim February 5, 2012 at 8:08 pm

WOW! I am amazed at your husband’s mile time. Haha, and awesome job finishing before him!

The protein powder in an ice latte is a great idea. I was always scared that it wouldn’t mix, but now that I know it’s okay, I’ll have to try it (and turn my latte into a mocha :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 5, 2012 at 8:24 pm

Thats wonderful that you and your husband workout together. My Husband doesn’t support me working out. Don’t ask why? Because I don’t know? Have a great night, enjoy the Super Bowl!

Erin February 5, 2012 at 8:42 pm

A bit of competition always gets me going, especially if it leads to bragging rights – great job on finishing before Mal! Whoo!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie February 5, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Why have I never thought about adding protein powder to a latte?! GENIUS

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 5, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Haha I ordered an ice cream cone the other night and walked outside with it wearing gloves. I felt pretty silly but it was totally worth it.

Congrats on the run!

Courtney February 5, 2012 at 9:20 pm

I love the reference to Milo and Otis!!!

Tina February 6, 2012 at 8:27 am

@Courtney: Yay! I’m so glad you noticed! :)

Courtney February 7, 2012 at 12:36 am

@Tina: I love that movie! I watched it all the time when I was a kid!!

Cheryl at eatplayluvblog February 5, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I used to always use coffee in place of water post-workout when I was into protein. I used a shaker cup with a metal ball and it would work REALLY well, but it’s good to know it can be done in the starbucks cup too :)

I am jealous of the adventure today — and of that dinner. Hope you’re enjoying the super bowl!

Laura @ She Eats Well February 5, 2012 at 11:05 pm

I’m still drooling over the spaghetti squash dish…yum. That’s a great tip to add protein powder to your drink…might have to steal that one.

Khushboo February 6, 2012 at 12:41 am

Wow Mal is a speed demon! Good call on the protein powder in your iced coffee- must try it!

jackie February 6, 2012 at 9:26 am

I really want to try CrossFit. There is a gym in a nearby town. I think I may treat myself to an into session in the near fututre.