• 5K Treadmill Challenge (6 X 400m)

February 7, 2012

Hi, guys! How’s your Tuesday afternoon going? Mine is going especially well because I just discovered a Target less than five miles from my house. Oooh, yes. I am psyched! I plan to spend a lot of time and money there.

Workout

After breakfast, I headed to the gym for a quick run. On days that I plan to go to CrossFit in the evening, I try to stick with shorter runs, so I still have some energy later in the day for my PM workout.

According to my half marathon training plan, 6 X 400m was on the agenda, which, on the treadmill with my speeds and intervals, worked out to be exactly a 3.1 miles (5K). How cool! So, here’s a 5K treadmill challenge for you! (If the speeds are too fast for you, just subtract 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 from each of the intervals.)

2012-02-07_1409

I planned to run six intervals at 8.5, but by the fourth interval, I still had some energy to burn, so I picked up the pace to 8.7 and 9.0 on the last two intervals. It felt good to finish strong, especially on such a short workout. This run was over before I knew it! (It took me about 28 minutes to finish the entire workout.)

Speaking of treadmill workouts, I added a new Treadmill Workouts category as well as a Treadmill Workouts widget to the right side of CNC, so you can find them more easily and discover new ones.

2012-02-07_1357

Lunch

After the gym, I headed home for lunch. On the menu: an omelet with diced ham, tomatoes, kale, and Parmigiano-Reggiano.

I thought a protein-packed omelet with ham and fibrous veggies would satisfy me, but about an hour later, I wanted something else to eat, so I sliced up a banana and added a scoop of Cinnamon Raisin Swirl Peanut Butter to it.

Snack

Just now, a couple of hours later, I broke into a KIND bar as an afternoon snack. I wasn’t super hungry, but I figured I’d want a little something in my stomach for CrossFit tonight.

CNC FAQs

If you didn’t notice, I posted a ton of Frequently Asked Questions and my responses yesterday. I hadn’t updated my FAQ page since 2009, so it definitely needed it! I also split up the questions into different categories for better organization:

I love hearing from you guys, so if you ever have a question for me, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment or email me with it directly.

I’m off to walk the pug and then to CrossFit! We’re doing the Nasty Girls tonight. Sounds dirty, doesn’t it?

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh February 7, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Great job rockin’ the workout! I saw those FAQ’s yesterday and read about half so thanks for the reminder that I need to finish them! I’ll have to see if I have any questions when I’m done since I’m a newer reader.

Have a great day!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries February 7, 2012 at 3:02 pm

that 5k workout looks like a great one! i love speed workouts. sprints have always been my favorite over running long distance at a steady pace. can’t wait to try it out!

Allie February 7, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I like the idea of working out twice a day but I don’t think I could deal with washing my hair/showering twice a day!

Jenn February 7, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I’m so happy you’ve discovered PB&Co!! I’m beyond addicted to Cinnamon Raisin Swirl (I don’t even like plain peanut butter anymore)

Tina February 7, 2012 at 3:17 pm

It’s so good! I do, however, love Teddie the best. Have you tried it by any chance?

Rachel February 7, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Quick question: do you jog during the “rest” periods or do you slow it down to a walk?

Tina February 7, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Today, I walked at 3.7 on the rests.

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 7, 2012 at 3:15 pm

You always have the best treadmill workouts! Thanks for grouping them together :)

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife February 7, 2012 at 3:20 pm

I love quick and dirty 5Ks like that one! I actually did a similar one this morning too–I need to knock out a quick run. Gotta love intervals!

I love FAQ’s, I’ll be sure to check ‘em out!

Kerry @ Totes My Oats February 7, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I totally need to try PB&Co… they have it at one of our supermarkets here. That omelet looks so good!!!

Meg February 7, 2012 at 3:32 pm

I was just reading through your FAQ – I live in Schenectady! I work on Franklin St (right by City Hall). Small world! :)

Jade February 7, 2012 at 3:35 pm

I’m trying out CrossFit in Back Bay this weekend. So pumped to try it after reading about it so much on your blog!

Tina February 7, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Nice! Let me know what you think! :)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 7, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Have fun at CrossFit :D

Anna February 7, 2012 at 3:39 pm

What a good 5k treadmill workout! I’m training for a 1/2 like you but trying to keep my runs short and quick so I’ll be using these!

Becca @ Blueberry Smiles February 7, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I know you probs get a ton of questions on this– but I’m still soooo curious how your body has changed since you’ve started Crossfit. Are you a lot stronger? Gain or lose weight? More energy?

Tina February 7, 2012 at 3:44 pm
    Jen @ Whittle My Middle February 7, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I love treadmill workouts like that. They sure pass the time a lot faster. Thanks for sharing!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon February 7, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Cinnamon raisin swirl peanut butter? YUM!

Ellie@Fit for the Soul February 7, 2012 at 3:56 pm

haha such funny names! That one does sound tough.

Katie February 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Hey Tina! I absolutely love your blog!!! You are so inspiring! I have a question for you about your half marathon training plan. I am also training for a half marathon, and I am struggling with finding time to run outside during the work week due to it getting dark so early. I have no problem getting my long runs in outside on the weekends, but it’s the shorter runs during the week that I have been forced to resort to the treadmill. I see that you are doing many of your training runs inside on the treadmill. Do you think that training on the treadmill is as efficient as training outside? I was just wondering what your opinion is. Good luck with your training! Thanks so much!!!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio February 7, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Your workout makes me think of the Paula Abdul song “nasty girl”

Mallory @ Have your cake February 7, 2012 at 4:16 pm

thanks for the tread workout! looks like a good one!

Victoria February 7, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Hey Tina! Did you ever post your half marathon training plan? I know that you said that you would, but I couldn’t find it?

Wendy February 7, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Your treadmill workouts are awesome and challenging! So glad you made a category for them because I search for them a lot :)

julie @ peanut butter fingers February 7, 2012 at 4:56 pm

ahhh i need to update my FAQs page! i deleted it a couple of months ago b/c it was such a mess and so outdated. thanks for the motivation!

Olivia February 7, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Ok so I live in Canada, and I bought that exact peanut butter a few weeks ago – after not being able to find their peanut butters ANYWHERE – but I’ve noticed that the jar I have does not contain raisins! Just sugar/cinnamon/rasin-y specs!

Isn’t that weird?!

PS I loveeee omelettes like that. Need to have them more often!

Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction February 7, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Thanks for updating the FAQ’s. That omelet looks delicious! I have been oddly attracting to eating more eggs lately! Haha

Laura Jane @ Recovering Chocoholic February 7, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Loved all the FAQs yesterday. I have a Target right across the street from where I work. I go there often on my lunch break. I think I keep them in business! Omelet looks delicious, and I’ll definitely try the treadmill workout (except slower).

kathleen @ the daily crumb February 7, 2012 at 5:40 pm

i LOVE eggs (for any meal of the day), but without some sort of carb on the side, i’m ravenous shortly after!

chelsea February 7, 2012 at 5:41 pm

I love Target!! I wish there was one on Cape Cod!! I know like all the target locations within a 50 mile radius! I usually go to the one in Kingston or Wareham! Although sometimes if I’m in the area I go to the South Shore Plaza one in Braintree!! Been to the one in Dorchester once, that was an experience!

Robyn @ Blueberries and Oats February 7, 2012 at 5:43 pm

Thanks for all the treadmill workouts, Tina! I just started treadmill interval training for the first time today so this is perfect!

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter February 7, 2012 at 6:11 pm

Thanks for the updates! I think I will spend the night going through your blogging questions! :)

Awesome run workout!

Michelle (Better with Berries) February 7, 2012 at 6:20 pm

What a coincidence – I’m following a different half marathon training plan, but mine has me doing 6x400s tomorrow! Now I’m excited for it :-) Speed work used to be my least favorite thing ever, but it’s quickly (haha) becoming fun!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats February 7, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I also did a 3 mile speed interval run today! Putting it up on my blog in a couple days! And that omelet looks so good!

TeenyLittleSuperChef February 7, 2012 at 8:20 pm

I have a Target about 5 minutes from my house too, and trust me, it’s dangerous. Moments of boredom often times leads to me walking over to Target for a little retail therapy. Hey it could be worse. It could be Nordstrom. Now that could lead to a problem.

Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection February 7, 2012 at 8:23 pm

I can’t wait to try out that workout!

Kristabel February 7, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Why oh why haven’t I tried cinnamon swirl PB? I think I have tried every flavor but that one and it looks so good!

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama February 7, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Cinnamon Swirl is the only one from PB and Comp that I haven’t tried yet. I’ll have to look for it at the store this weekend. Guess who has a coupon, too?!?! Wa-hoo!

Ivana@Practicing Perfect February 7, 2012 at 9:52 pm

Thanks for posting your treadmill/interval workouts. I just started with the intervals and found that it really boosts my workouts. Still haven’t tried crossfit though!

Alaina February 7, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I love these treadmill workouts! I definitely need to up the interval training for a 5k I’m doing in March!

Sarah February 7, 2012 at 10:35 pm

gaaaa I wish I could run on a treadmill but its messes with my equilibrium bad!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 7, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Great treadmill workout! Your lunch looks good!! I love the peanut butter and banana!!

Khushboo February 7, 2012 at 11:45 pm

Love speed workouts- so efficient!

Deb @ wiseupslimdown February 8, 2012 at 12:03 am

My doxie does the same thing. She will stand on my stomach and walk in a circle until she gets comfortable and then plops herself down. Good thing she only weighs 11 lbs.

Lena @Fit on the Rocks February 8, 2012 at 12:31 am

I love all of your treadmill interval workouts. Now that I knocked out my first half, I finally feel like it’s a good time as any to work on speed.

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie February 8, 2012 at 1:53 am

Love all the Q&As. I keep learning tons of new things :)

JB February 8, 2012 at 9:53 am

OR if those aren’t fast ENOUGH for you, add 1.0, 2.0, etc.

Tina February 8, 2012 at 9:56 am

@JB: Haha! Yes! :)

Fridakjartans February 8, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Somehow I find it very hard to run on a treadmill. The outside is just outside the door, much easier.

Kari January 31, 2013 at 6:47 am

I love treadmill workout, adding this one to my list!