• Tabata Treadmill Workout

January 18, 2012

Oooooh, I have another great treadmill workout for you guys! I did a Tabata workout, which is interval training of 20 seconds of maximum intensity exercise, followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated 8 times for a total of four minutes. My total workout time, including warm-up and cool-down, was only 20 minutes, but it kicked my butt!

Credit for this simple and powerful training method belongs to its namesake, Dr. Izumi Tabata and a team of researchers from the National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Tokyo, Japan. Their groundbreaking 1996 study, published in the journal Medicine and Science in Sports & Exercise, provided documented evidence concerning the dramatic physiological benefits of high-intensity intermittent training. After just 6 weeks of testing, Dr. Tabata noted a 28% increase in anaerobic capacity in his subjects, along with a 14% increase in their ability to consume oxygen (V02Max). These results were witnessed in already physically fit athletes. The conclusion was that just four minutes of Tabata interval training could do more to boost aerobic and anaerobic capacity than an hour of endurance exercise. [source]

Pretty cool stuff, right? With this in mind, here’s how my Tabata worked on the treadmill:

2012-01-18_1500

Instead of fiddling around and adjusting the speeds on the treadmill during the Tabata, I set it for 9.5 and then just hopped on and off as needed. For the 10-second rests, I stood with one foot on each side of the treadmill, and when it was time to run again, I held onto the rails and (carefully) started running at 9.5 again. It worked out really well.

Lunch

After my workout, I came home and chowed down on lunch. I made a big salad topped with roasted chicken, prunes, olives, Bulgur Salad with Kale and Grapes, roasted Brussels sprouts, balsamic vinegar, truffle oil, and truffle salt. Holy yum! I rule at making salads.

After lunch, I enjoyed a whole wheat Sandwich Thin with White Chocolate Wonderful spread on top.

Snack

A few hours later, I snacked on an Apple Cinnamon & Pecan KIND Bar and chugged some water. I wasn’t all that hungry, but I figured I needed something in my stomach before CrossFit. We have a benchmark workout on the agenda for tonight!

I’m off to walk Murphy! Enjoy the evening, friends!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) January 18, 2012 at 3:28 pm

that sounds like one killer treadmill session!

Mallory @ Have your cake January 18, 2012 at 3:36 pm

that salad looks awesome. roasted chicken always tastes so much more flavorful to me than when it’s prepared any other way!! yum

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 18, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I need to learn how to jump on and off the treadmill – it scares me to death!

Samantha N. January 18, 2012 at 3:38 pm

The salad looks delicious! Where do you buy truffle oil and truffle salt? What does it taste like?

Tina January 18, 2012 at 4:21 pm

@Samantha N.: Truffles (mushrooms)! :)

Tina @ Best Body Fitness January 18, 2012 at 3:41 pm

That does look killer! I’m going to have to give it a go sometime.

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 18, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Wow! I will have to try the Tabata Workout tonight. Interesting research findings, too.

Cara @ I Don't Believe in Diets January 18, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Looks like a fun workout. How do you time yourself for this? I use an iphone app, interval run, that reminds me when to run vs walk and i love it. But no tabata feature. :-(

Tina January 18, 2012 at 3:54 pm

@Cara @ I Don’t Believe in Diets: I used the treadmill! :)

Cara @ I Don't Believe in Diets January 18, 2012 at 3:58 pm

@Tina: haha i figured that. But I get lost in the movie I am watching usually. But… I did just find a fun iphone tabata interval app that would solve my problem. haha. <i am iphone dependent)

Tina January 18, 2012 at 4:19 pm

@Cara @ I Don’t Believe in Diets: Oh, I gotcha! I bet there’s an app. I’ll do some research!

Kelsey January 23, 2012 at 7:41 pm

@Cara @ I Don’t Believe in Diets:
    Workout Hero app has a great Tabata clock and a bunch of others as well.

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 18, 2012 at 4:05 pm

awesome workout. i think i’m going to do this one tomorrow, as I have a HIIT workout scheduled. yesterday I did tabata kettlebell swings and today i’m feeling the burn!

Jen F January 18, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Seriously. I had a duh moment. I’ve been reading about Tabata workouts and thought, “hmmm, how would that work on the treadmill with adjusting for speed/rest since it’s way too cold for me outside…” Thanks for stating you hopped on and off. Really. You solved my Tabata problem! LOL. However, I’m a little scared about hopping on and off at high speeds. EEEK.

Tina January 18, 2012 at 4:20 pm

@Jen F: It’s a little scary hopping on and off, but once you do it a couple of times, it’s a piece of cake!

TeenyLittleSuperChef January 18, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Yeah, you definitely do RULE at making salads. That looks awesome. I’m sure you had a nice and full veggie belly afterwards. That’s the only time I don’t mind having a little pooch :) I’ve never actually tried Kind Bars before (I know, the horrors), but I’ve always wanted to. Which one is your favorite flavor? I would think anyone with coconut would be totally tasty. Have a happy hump day!

Tina January 18, 2012 at 4:20 pm

@TeenyLittleSuperChef: I pretty much love them all, but favorites are the ones with dates and/or coconut! :)

Andrea (Run. Learn. Repeat.) January 18, 2012 at 4:14 pm

I just pinned that treadmill workout. I’m excited to try it out since I have a limited amount of time to run before my husband leaves for work (I stay home with my 3-year-old). Looks like an awesome 20 minute workout! Thanks!

Tami January 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm

It scares me when I see people jump on and off…have you ever seen anyone fall off a treadmill…it is very scary!

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 18, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I love the idea behind the Tabata workouts! :) There are tons of example tabata workouts on youtube.

have a great workout at Crossfit!

Julie Kim @ Orcas Health Journey January 18, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Hey Tina! Thanks for the Tabata workout. I have a question on your salad – you put truffle oil on it… How does it taste?? I never tried truffle oil and I’m seeing a lot of people incorporating it into their food.. so just curious.

P.S. love your new picture!! :D

Tina January 19, 2012 at 8:24 am

@Julie Kim @ Orcas Health Journey: It tastes like truffles (mushrooms)! :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 18, 2012 at 5:24 pm

That workouts looks intense!

hillary January 18, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Just wondering… why so many sandwich thins?

Tina January 18, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Because I like them!

kathleen @ the daily crumb January 18, 2012 at 5:41 pm

20 minutes in and out is my kind of workout! i am loving treadmill intervals these days… so efficient.

Heather @ Run Eat Play January 18, 2012 at 5:44 pm

I’ve been hearing a lot of Tabata workouts – maybe I should try it! I love. Kind bars!

Jen @ Whittle My Middle January 18, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I love love love tabata workouts. I’ve never tried them on a treadmill, but this looks like a good way to try.

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 18, 2012 at 5:54 pm

I love a good, hard workout! This sounds awesome! Thanks–going to do it on a shorter workout day :)

Michelle @ A Healthy Mrs January 18, 2012 at 5:54 pm

My husband & I have been incorporating Tabata into our workouts for the past few months — we love it! It’s great for days when you don’t have a ton of time to devote to exercising, but still want to squeeze something in!

Kristen @ Change of Pace January 18, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I am getting pretty good at making salads. The key is to steer clear of the norm. Go a little crazy and make the toppings really interesting.

Laura January 18, 2012 at 6:26 pm

what benchmark are you doing tonight? i love doing benchmark workouts because you really get to see your progressing!

Tina January 19, 2012 at 8:24 am

@Laura: Annie! Have you done it?

Laura January 19, 2012 at 12:10 pm

@Tina: not yet! i don’t have double unders, they are so frustrating! i keep thinking, “how hard can jumping rope be?” but the double unders get me every time. just gotta practice, practice, practice!

Susan January 18, 2012 at 7:01 pm

How many calories do you think you burn in a cross fit class? I bet it is a TON! I do a 45 minute Nike Training Club on my iPod – and I always wonder if I am burning 20 or 200 calories. I guess it depends on weight, effort etc. but just wondering if they have ever given you an indication at CrossFit?

Tina January 19, 2012 at 8:24 am

@Susan: Oh, jeez. I have no idea. It really depends on the workout.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 18, 2012 at 7:02 pm

I’ve always wondered what the difference between tabata workouts and just plain “intervals” were. This is helpful! I might give it a try next time for a change.

Cheryl at eatplayluvblog January 18, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Yay for Tabata! I used it in my bootcamp yesterday — we did pushups, sit ups, planks, rows (in place of pull-ups) and squats! I wanted to do burpees or mountain climbers as well, but ran out of time. There’s always next week…yay for crossfit-inspired workouts (cuz that’s where I “borrowed” the idea from!).

Deb January 18, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Great workout! And that is one great looking salad! Yum!

katie @ KatieDid January 18, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I did tabatas once on a track with my brother and we both practically threw up. We were giving an all out effort on the sprints, and I couldn’t believe how incredibly hard a workout we got in 4 minutes.

Tina January 19, 2012 at 8:23 am

@katie @ KatieDid: I know, right? 4 minutes!

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) January 18, 2012 at 7:44 pm

I love those Kind bars! What do you recommend eating before Crossfit? I’m FINALLY going to my intro class on Saturday, and it’s at an awkward time in the afternoon.

Can’t wait to try that t-mill workout!

Tina January 19, 2012 at 8:23 am

@Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter): I usually eat a banana with peanut butter, but pretty much any snack with some carbs and staying power (protein, fats) will work! :)

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous January 18, 2012 at 8:09 pm

My spin class occasionally does Tabatas and they sure are hard but beneficial!

Eliana January 18, 2012 at 8:11 pm

Your salad seems yummy! Also, i know it’s not really Christmas time any more but i just saw this video of you on the Dr.Oz show and made your cookies again :)

Tina January 19, 2012 at 8:21 am

@Eliana: Nice! :)

Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 18, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Wow looks like an awesome workout! Especially great for people who don’t have much time to work out, it gives you more bang for your buck!

Tina January 19, 2012 at 8:21 am

@Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life: Exactly! I was in and out of the gym in no time!

Kristi @ SimplyKristi January 18, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I’ve been getting really into tabata workouts. Being a student and also working – it’s a perfect way to get in my workout some days. I’ll have to remember this one!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio January 18, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Awesome workout! I must try it!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 18, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Yum your lunch looks wonderful! I really need to talk my Husband into letting me get a treadmill!! The workout looks great!!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 18, 2012 at 9:17 pm

That workout looks killer! I like doing intervals during my runs, but I’ve never gone all the way up to 9.5 mph before. That’s fast!!!

Lindsay @ Fuel My Family January 18, 2012 at 9:18 pm

i love finding quick treadmill workouts! I will be doing this sometime this week, thanks!

Jordan K. January 18, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Oh that treadmill workout looks fun! How have your new CrossFit shoes been treating you?

Tina January 19, 2012 at 8:22 am

@Jordan K.: Great! I love them! They actually make any sort of squat movement easier!

Khushboo January 18, 2012 at 9:28 pm

I’m temporarily not able to run but I’m definitely going to try Tabatas on other cardio machines- sounds killer!

Christine January 18, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Your workouts are amazing! I love that the Kind bar is 1/2 gone in the photo!!

Ryan @ PauseTheMoment.com January 19, 2012 at 12:49 am

Liz has been telling me all about these running workouts. I’m SO glad I’m not a “runner”. I’ll stick to my kettlebells, and HIIT thanks! ;)

Sarah January 19, 2012 at 1:09 am

cannot wait to try that workout and that salad….thanks for a doubly exciting post. I am a big fan of your blog!
    -Sarah

Julia January 19, 2012 at 6:12 am

Oh, the Tabata treadmill workout looks great! I love Tabata workouts and I’m not afraid of hopping off and on the treadmill while it’s running – so I’m going to try that one.

Brittany January 19, 2012 at 9:48 am

I know this is a great workout (going to try it tonight!!) and it doesn’t always matter about distance, but how many miles did you cover with the tabata workout in 20 minutes?

Tina January 19, 2012 at 9:55 am

@Brittany: I covered a little over 2.5 miles.

Ali January 19, 2012 at 12:03 pm

These interval workouts you’ve been posting have been AWESOME. I’ve been doing them on the treadmill (not as fast as you though!) and when I went for a “real” run outside the other day, it felt way easier than usual. Keep them coming, please (I suppose I could get off my butt and look some up myself, but it’s much nicer having you do it for me!) :-)

Emily January 19, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Someone posted your treadmill workout on facebook already (outside of you, I mean)… Might have been Jenny Grothe (of recipes for gals in figure & bodybuilding). I saw it on there this morning and checked it out.

Looks killer though!

Hideko Szymanski January 19, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Tried this today at the gym! Thanks it really gets the blood flowing :)

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie January 19, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Wow never heard of a tabata workout!

I’ll have to give it a try :)

Lizz @ Leading the Good Life January 19, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I love Tabata workouts! I do them when I’m short on time or if I don’t feel like going to the gym. And they’re great for during a lunch break because they’re so short!

Jules March 7, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Question about the tabata: for the break, do you step off the treadmill, or use the interval setting and set it for a low speed?