• Protein-Packed Breakfasts

January 18, 2012

I don’t know where my head is today. I wrote this post hours ago and thought I published it, but just now I noticed it was still my drafts. Oops! I actually don’t think that’s ever happened in nearly 4 years of blogging. I’m a space cadet today.

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was an oldie, but goodie: Overnight Oats in a Jar. In the mix: rolled oats, Greek yogurt, almond milk, chia seeds, almonds, raisins, cinnamon, and an extra scoop of peanut butter. I also drank a glass of iced coffee with soy milk. (Where’s Waldo?)

Every time I eat Oats in a Jar, Murphy stalks me until I share the empty jar with him as witnessed here and here.

He’s a freak obsessed.

Look at those crazy eyes!

Feel Great Weight

As you probably know, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. In fact, regularly eating breakfast can help you shed pounds and maintain your Feel Great Weight. Eating early in the day keeps you from “starvation eating” later on and jumpstarts your metabolism, so your body begins to burn calories right off the bat.

Including protein in your breakfast is also a big part of this weight loss equation since it helps control your appetite and maintain lean body mass. A new study suggests that consuming too little protein may actually cause you to store body fat. With that said, here are five high-protein meals to start your day off on the right foot and keep you satisfied all morning long!

Protein-Packed Breakfasts That Halt Hunger

What are your favorite protein-packed breakfast?

Heidi January 18, 2012 at 2:21 pm

2 fried eggs (only one yolk) in a whole grain bagel thin with onion, spinach, hot sauce and dijon mustard. Mmm!

Tina January 19, 2012 at 8:28 am

@Heidi: Mmm… that combo sounds so good!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 18, 2012 at 2:21 pm

i definitely need some healthy carbs in my breakfast each morning, but protein is definitely a priority too! i almost always have a bowl of oatmeal with nut butter for some healthy fats and extra protein, and will usually add in an egg or protein powder for some more protein as well. keeps me satisfied for hours!

HRCK the Herald January 18, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Thanks for the link to that study….really interesting and something for me to seriously consider!

Kelly @ Vegolosophy January 18, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I really love to make protein packed pancakes! You could never go wrong with pancakes and by adding some protein powder and almond butter, definitely makes for a great filling breakfast!

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes January 18, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Definitely a green monster for that protein kick!

Lindsey January 18, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I have quite a few but right not I am loving plain Greek yogurt mixed with peanut butter, granola and fresh fruit. Or of course my favorite green smoothie – spinach, banana, vanilla protein, flax seeds and peanut butter.

Angela January 18, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Green smoothies for me! And protein-packed omelettes with eggs and egg whites, with lots of veggies too. I’m getting hungry just thinking about them!

Hillary January 18, 2012 at 2:36 pm

As a teacher, I have to eat lunch at a certain time—and it’s much later than when I would LIKE to eat lunch. That being said, I need a breakfast that’s going to keep me full for a long, long time, and the only thing that seems to do it for me is Greek yogurt. So much protein, and SO GOOD!

Amanda January 18, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Totally agree! No meal is more important than breakfast. People who go from never eating breakfast to eating something simple as a piece of toast see major differences in their day! I am a HUGE fan of eggs, so I love 1 egg sunny side up, 2 slices of whole wheat toast and some pepper slices on the side.

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 18, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Ditto to this post –this is SO true! Protein is SO important in the a.m.–and it makes for a nice beginning to the day–setting as a nice tone :)

Great post!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) January 18, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I’m not really a traditional breakfast foods person, so I will eat anything for breakfast: Pizza, lobster, pasta, squid–it’s all tasty to me anytime of day. :D

Grace @ What Grace Cooked January 18, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I will eat egg white and veggie scrambles when I want lots of protein, but any time I include some eggs or greek yogurt I think my breakfast is more satisfying. Including some healthy fat (like nut butter!) is also key to keeping me full.

Molly@RDexposed January 18, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Puggy has good taste in food!

Lisa January 18, 2012 at 3:00 pm

I did not know this; I’m glad you shared! I’m trying to lose weight and I have just cut down on everything. This is good to know, thanks!

Cyndi January 18, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day! I’ve been enjoying your “Oatmeal” Minus the Oats here lately. But I usually eat oats mixed with egg whites or protein powder, chia seeds, and nut butter. The only time I eat eggs or omelets is if I eat out for breakfast.

Colleen January 18, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I have been doing either peanut butter, jelly and sliced banana on whole wheat bread; oatmeal with walnuts and fruit; one or two eggs with a slice of toast; a green smoothie; or greek yogurt with fruit and granola.

chelsea January 18, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Awh hahahha his eyes! He looks so psyched to get some for himself.

Sara January 18, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Just a quick question, how do you all incorprate the protein powder to your oatmeal? I’ve tried it once and it tasted awful! the protein powder was chunky and chalky in the oats…

Tina January 18, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I’ve never actually tried it, but I like the idea!

Lynette January 18, 2012 at 8:51 pm

@Tina: What I do is: mix one scoop of protein powder with a little bit of water so it is almost paste-like. I then add it to my oatmeal with all of my other mix-ins, usually p butter and mixed berries.

Tina January 18, 2012 at 9:37 pm

Sounds good! :)

Cait's Plate January 18, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I love eggs and yogurt – those two have to be my absolute faaaavorite sources of protein at breakfast time! (or anytime really!)

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio January 18, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I can totally see/feel the different between breakfasts with and without protein. Even when making a smoothie, I add protein powder.

Murphy is too funny!

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 18, 2012 at 3:13 pm

One of my favorites is an English muffin, egg/eggwhite, spinach, turkey bacon combo! Yum!

Lindsay @ Salt, Sun & Sanity January 18, 2012 at 3:13 pm

You know, I eat oatmeal every single morning for breakfast, but I’m so lazy in the morning I usually just make an instant packet and add a spoonful of peanut butter, or cinnamon, or protein powder. All you crazy health bloggers have been raving about overnight oats in a jar, I might have to get in on it (especially if it means it saves me time in my morning routine!)

Tina January 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm

@Lindsay @ Salt, Sun & Sanity: Overnight Oats (in a jar or bowl) are quicker to make than instant oatmeal! :)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 18, 2012 at 3:16 pm

come on, if I were Murphy, I would stalk you too! We always say dogs have the good life, but imagine eating the exact same thing every day!! No fun

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 18, 2012 at 3:18 pm

I just read your article, and how much is 1 liquid egg white? I looked it up and thought it was 2 T, so 1/4 a cup would be 2 egg whites?

Tina January 19, 2012 at 8:27 am

@Katie @ Peace Love & Oats: I use 1/4 cup of liquid egg whites for every 1 egg white.

Ari @ Ari's Menu January 18, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Oats in a white chocolate wonderful jar is one of the happiest things in life! Yummmm, I have breakfast envy! :)

Corrie @ Blurb Column January 18, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Tina, I’ve been meaning to ask you how Murphy’s pig pimple was doing? Did the compresses help? Crazy random, but I was curious!

Tina January 18, 2012 at 4:00 pm

@Corrie @ Blurb Column: Haha! I love that you asked about Murphy’s pimple! The vet gave us some steriod cream for it, and it went away in just a few days.

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 18, 2012 at 4:03 pm

OIAJ makes any morning GREAT! Unfortunatley, I huge a huge Costco-sized jar to get through, which could take a while. Still want to try the oatless-oatmeal recipe :)

Erin January 18, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I had my first CrossFit workout last night. OMG, I am sore today! It was intense and I’m not sure yet if I liked it or not. I have a month trial, so I’ll give it another go later this week.

Tina January 18, 2012 at 6:33 pm

@Erin: Definitely keep going! The classes sometimes vary a lot! :)

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ January 18, 2012 at 5:21 pm

depending on if i want sweet or salty, i always keep egg whites in my fridge. i love making “guilt-free” french toast using egg whites and topping with greek yogurt and some nut butter (lots of protein there!) or making veggie egg scrambles with a yogurt parfait on the side. either option is absolutely delicious and filling enough to hold me over for at least a couple hours! until my mid-morning snack calls about about 10 am anyway :-)

BroccoliHut January 18, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I love a big stack of protein pancakes!

Allison January 18, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Kashi cereal or waffles + Cho is one of my fave high-protein bfasts! Or a simple egg and ham sandwich…

TeenyLittleSuperChef January 18, 2012 at 6:31 pm

How could you possibly resist those big beautiful brown eyes! Murphy should be in doggie commercials or magazines. He’s such a cutie patootie! Thanks for all the great breakfast recipes. I’m a firm believer in breakfast and sometimes eat it for all three meals a day. I’m always shocked at people who skip their morning meals. I would be a raging lunatic… well, more so than I already am :)

Jenn January 18, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I eat the same breakfast about 99% of the time. I’m a creature of habit! 3 (4 if I’m really hungry) egg whites on wheat toast with cheese and avocado if we have any at the moment. If its not broke, don’t fix it!

Tina January 19, 2012 at 8:28 am

@Jenn: Your comment inspired me to make my eggs with avocado this morning! Thanks for the idea! :)

Cheryl at eatplayluvblog January 18, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I go in spurts where I love love love eggs and greek yogurt and stuff for breakfast and then other times I’ll have a week where all I want is cereal and fruit with just a splash of milk…not so protein rich (though I do try to choose cereals with some protein). I just listen to my body, but I do end up hungrier for a morning snack if I eat a lower protein (and fat) meal in the morning.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 18, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I love Greek yogurt with Kashi cereal and fruit for a protein-packed breakfast! I’ve also recently started adding egg whites to my oatmeal for some extra protein too. I’ve definitely noticed that the egg whites help to keep me full longer!

Tina January 19, 2012 at 8:28 am

@Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin: Same here! Egg whites are my new favorite protein! :)

Khushboo January 18, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Oatmeal waffles, Greek yogurt with raw oats and fruit and oatmeal with egg-whites stirred in are my go-tos for protein-packed breakfasts!

Lorin January 19, 2012 at 3:44 am

In my nutrition class we were talking about breakfast. There’s been a few studies that are contradicting each other about eating breakfast though. Some showed effects on weight and some didn’t. Mostly because maybe hte people skipping breakfast are already overweight and are trying to reduce calories? It’s hard to tell. I usually don’t eat breakfast right away in the morning because I’m not very hungry. Normally I’ll get a bit more hungry later in the morning like an hour or so..

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee January 19, 2012 at 7:11 am

a banana with peanut butter and greek yogurt. :) Murphy is the funniest! He’s such a little dog foodie.

Charise January 19, 2012 at 10:41 am

For weekdays, I’m an oats + soy milk + fruit + nuts + little drizzle of pb kind of girl. On the weekends, I love eggs, especially in sandwich form (a fave: 2 fried eggs + spinach + tomato + 1/4 avocado + sriracha)

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie January 19, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Oatmeal + PB..never lets me down!

Lindsey @ happyhoneycrisp January 19, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Is that cinnamon raisin pb?! I love that stuff!! Hmm my favorite protein packed breakfast would probably have to be greek yogurt with lot of toppings! It keeps me full for hours!

Kat January 20, 2012 at 10:46 am

I love oatmeal! I am always playing with new ingredients to add to it and have been also playing around with protein pancakes using oatmeal. Your recipes have been so great and have helped me shake up my morning routine and keep me full through lunch! I just tried your Banana Bread protein shake this morning… HOLY MOLY! It was the most delicious thing ever! Thanks for sharing all of your recipe ideas!

mollie January 23, 2012 at 7:31 am

I just tried the “oatmeal minus the oats”. It was surprisingly SO delicious and it almost reminds me of like a bread pudding texture or souffle…kind of sort of? YUM! Was wondering what the nutrition stats are for it in terms of calories, fats, and protein. Thanks!

Amber June 25, 2012 at 4:11 pm

What are your usual measurements for overnight oats?