• Oh, Fran

January 2, 2012

So… remember those 3 miles that I planned to run today? Well, Fran had different plans for my afternoon. (Mal and I went to the 12:30 CrossFit class this afternoon.)

FRANEinstein

Who is Fran, you ask? Fran is THE baseline measurement for CrossFit. It’s also one of the hardest WODs. Check this out:

“Fran”

21-15-9

Thrusters (95#, 65#)

Pull-ups

It’s only two exercises, so you might not think it’s all that tough, but the combination of the two exercises, coupled with the number of reps and weight, is absolutely killer—you need some serious strength and endurance for this one!

I actually didn’t even do the prescribed Fran weight (65 pounds) for women. In fact, I didn’t even do the Level 1 weight (45 pounds). I used 35 pounds and a green band for assisted pull-ups, and Fran was still a frickin’ challenge for me. I even needed to stop multiple times during the workout to catch my breath and rest my muscles. I ended up finishing in 5:55 and my body felt like Jello from head to toe. Holy crap, Fran kicked my butt. There was no 3-mile run in my future.

And… I have one more goal for 2012: do a Level 1 Fran.

Lunch

After CrossFit, I came home and threw together a quick lunch: 1 egg + 2 egg whites, tomato slices with salt + pepper, carrots sticks + garlic hummus, and a clementine.

_MG_6060 (800x533)

Now, I am glued to my computer for the rest of the night. I have lots of catching up to do!

Enjoy the night, guys!

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine January 2, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Fran sounds like a Crossfit BEAST!

Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat January 2, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I LOVE hard workouts like that. They give us new found motivation and goals!

Alicia January 2, 2012 at 4:21 pm

ANYTHING with thrusters is going to be a bitc*… end of story. Nice job!

Tina January 2, 2012 at 4:23 pm

@Alicia: Haha! YES!

Cindy @ The Flipping Couple January 2, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Fran is no joke! I did it at 65# last time but it took me for.ever. Since I finally got my unassisted pull-ups this fall my goal is to do a prescribed Fran this year!! We’re doing the Crossfit total tonight.

Tina January 2, 2012 at 4:29 pm

@Cindy @ The Flipping Couple: THAT is a great goal! :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 2, 2012 at 4:27 pm

sounds like a butt kicker!! i have no doubt that you’ll work up to the level 1 Fran in no time! ;)

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 2, 2012 at 4:27 pm

lol I love that it’s named Fran! I’m sure it was tough though!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 2, 2012 at 4:28 pm

love the protein + veggie packed lunch. i love hearing about your x-fit workouts :)

Anna-Marie @ Beauty and the Beets January 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm

I JUST watched the crossfit championship on TV this weekend- I had never even heard of “Cross Fit” prior to this weekend- what an AMAZING display of Athletic ability!!! Wow!! You go girl!!

Brie @ Brie Fit January 2, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Fran is a beast! It’s one of the hardest, but one of my favorite workouts, too. Last time I did it, I did 65# thrusters and jumping pull-ups in 8:28. One of my 2012 goals is to do Fran at that level under 7 minutes!
    Fran is like the equivalent of asking a runner what their 5K time is. The super elite CFers do Fran in under 3 minutes–it’s nuts!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio January 2, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Fran and Flo… two ladies I’ve never liked.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 2, 2012 at 4:53 pm

woah! sounds so intense! I know I would be complete jelly! Haha :)

Kath January 2, 2012 at 4:54 pm

How long is a typical CrossFit workout? Is the Fran 5:55 just the finale or the whole workout?

Michele January 2, 2012 at 4:56 pm

@Kath:
    I had the same question!

Tina January 2, 2012 at 5:14 pm

@Michele: @Kath: Fran was just the WOD, but before it, we warmed-up, stretched, and practiced some “skills,” which typically involve learning new moves (often lifts) and/or strength training. The WOD is basically the finale/focus of the workout, and the entire session is done in an hour or less.

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 2, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I am totally a fan of fast, good workouts! Sounds awesome ;)

katie @ KatieDid January 2, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Are the thrusters with 2 dumbbells? Would that mean each dumbbell is 32.5? Or is it with a 65lb barbell? Looks like a real tough one, good for you for knocking that out though.

Tina January 2, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Nope, they’re done with a bar and plates. I used a 25-pound bar + two 5-pound plates.

K January 2, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I had never heard of CrossFit until my sister in law started going there, and she absolutely swears by it. All I really know is that she lifts giant tires there??? Puts a funny picture in mind, ha! Do you have a post where you share details of a Cross Fit workout?

Tina January 2, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Haha! Yep, our CrossFit has big tires too! I blog about all of my CrossFit workouts, but if you want to read about more of them, just click on the ‘CrossFit781′ tag at the bottom of this post for more!

Cait's Plate January 2, 2012 at 5:47 pm

That lunch looks awesome. I love tasting plates like that.

Jana January 2, 2012 at 6:39 pm

It’s amazing how Cross Fit can do more for someone in 5 minutes than most exercises can do in 30 minutes! I really like the idea of putting 10 minutes of very hard work in, instead of spending 20 minutes exercising, and resting for 10 of it!

Kristy January 2, 2012 at 6:39 pm

Hi Tina. You are inspiring me to want to try CrossFit one day. I’m thinking I may need to be in better shape before my first attempt. Maybe by spring.

Kelly January 2, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Ever since I saw CrossFit on your blog, it seems to be popping up everywhere now! I am definitely intrigued and would love to try it someday. I may need to become a bit stronger though, I am slightly on the weak side when it comes to strength abilities :)

Megan January 2, 2012 at 7:18 pm

I see crossfit popping up everywhere now. Did you know they have crossfit competitions? I was watching pieces of it on ESPN the other day, seems like an amazing workout!

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 2, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Sounds like a killer workout! :) I am going to start incorporating some Tabata into my workout. It’s not Crossfit, but it’s supposed to be an intense, short workout. :)

Heidi January 2, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Great job, sounds like a tough workout! I am with you on the unassisted pull-up goal! Why is is so hard to do a pull-up?!?! And, why do guys make it look so easy! ha. Good luck!

Heidi January 2, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Tessa @ Amazing Asset January 2, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Phewww tough workout there Tina… Fran sounds like a beast! And I have been strength training for years now, and upping the intensity and such, and still a pull up is just not happening!

Laura January 2, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Someone posted a pic of the WOD from the early morning class and I saw Fran and got scared… however the noon class did a version of Fight Gone Bad which was Fight Gone 2012. It still made me cry though. Our warmup was Tabata Burpees. AKA Pukies.

Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 2, 2012 at 8:18 pm

OMG I look up to you gals who complete these Crossfit beasts. Just looking at the workouts that you post make my legs tremble hahaha

Lauren January 2, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Fran is definitely a good one. I think you will be able to do the 65lb thrusters in no time…the pull-ups are killer for me! Enjoying the recent crossfit recaps!

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl January 2, 2012 at 10:26 pm

I just watched the Reebok Crossfit on TV. Damn those girls crazy kick butt. Will need to research this Fran. ;)

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl January 2, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I just looked it up on line (thrusters). Ya… that would whoop my ass, too.

Katrina@Katrina Runs for Food January 2, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Have you done Murph WOD yet? It makes Fran look like kittens and puppies playing in wildflowers under a rainbow that’s burping fairies. Fran is one of my favorites behind Fight Gone Bad, but she put me in renal failure last time. Rhabdo. Fun times :)

Tina January 3, 2012 at 7:13 am

No, but I’ve heard it’s a great workout!

ilovefetacheese January 3, 2012 at 10:09 am

@Katrina@Katrina Runs for Food: OMG were you ok??? that sounds really scary.

Jessica January 2, 2012 at 11:55 pm

Wow. That sounds like a killer workout. I’ve never heard of Crossfit before. Must go check to see if there is one in my neighborhood.

Khushboo January 3, 2012 at 12:33 am

My friend casually mentioned she was doing Cross Fit and was so shocked that I knew all about it…I am yet to brave it!

Ellie@Fit for the Soul January 3, 2012 at 12:41 am

Fran sounds amazing and so fun!! Pretty killer too, I can tell :D

cat @ cats belly fat cure January 3, 2012 at 1:31 am

Your class looked tough. About a month ago I began working out with a personal trainer and now I’m lifting more weight than I ever thought possible! There’s also a class at my gym called “chisel” that supposed to be very P90x. Haven’t tried it yet…maybe soon.

Karlee @ BringingBackBalance January 3, 2012 at 2:27 am

I am soo impressed that you are sticking with Crossfit! It still freaks me out a little lol.

Keep up the good work :P

Nicola January 3, 2012 at 3:15 am

Hi Tina,
    Happy New Year! Shame on me for not knowing this (I’m hoping its due to the Atlantic divide) but what are Thrusters?
    Nicola

Tina January 3, 2012 at 6:41 am

@Nicola: Here’s a link/movie that explains them: http://crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html! :)

Wendi @ A Southern Yogi January 3, 2012 at 8:40 am

That’s a great time!!!! I can’t remember what my best Fran time is but I know I wouldn’t be able to do it now since I haven’t done crossfit in so long.

What I will say is that if you do Crossfit right, you’re probably not going to be able to run later in the day. That’s the thing about it!! They say if you can work out after, you didn’t go it fast enough! So you may have to get your run in a couple of hours before you do xfit :)

Tina January 3, 2012 at 8:51 am

@Wendi @ A Southern Yogi: Oh, yes, I learned my lesson: run BEFORE CrossFit! I had no chance after!

Peggi January 3, 2012 at 8:47 am

I tried your crossfit workout of the 10 sit-ups, 10 push-ups & 10 air squats. I did it yesterday when I was at the gym and I did it in 11:55!! Great workout! Thanks.

Tina January 3, 2012 at 8:50 am

@Peggi: Nice! I’m so glad you tried it and like it! Great job! :)

Chris January 3, 2012 at 9:07 am

The ultimate example of Fran:

Tina January 3, 2012 at 9:39 am

@Chris: I know, that video is amazing!!!

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves January 3, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Isn’t it crazy how the workouts that look simple/easy are the hardest ones and the long complicated ones are the easier ones! I love CrossFit!!!