• NASM Certified Personal Trainer Q & A

January 6, 2012

Hi, guys!

Look what arrived in the mail this afternoon! My NASM Certified Personal Trainer certificate! Woohoo!

_MG_6464 (800x533)

I figured receiving my certificate in the mail today was a sign that I should probably reply to your questions about NASM, so here’s a little Q & A. I think I got all of them, but if I missed any, please let me know!

How come you picked NASM over other personal trainer certifications?

Here’s why I chose the NASM certification!

Did you need any sort of background related to the field going into the program?

Nope, you just need to make sure that you have a current CPR and AED certification before you take the exam.

How long does your certification last before you have to renew it?

Two years. During that time I must complete 2.0 CEUs (Continuing Education Credits).

Do you think the Live Workshop helped you pass the exam?

Yes and no. I found the Live Workshop to be really helpful, but its purpose wasn’t exam-prep per se. The goal of the workshop was to teach participants how to train clients, so, obviously, this was helpful for the exam, but it wasn’t a review of the test materials. Going to the workshop actually motivated me to buckle down with my studying because it made me realize how much I didn’t know!

How much studying did you do for the certification?

I gave myself a solid three months to study for it. I started by reading 1-2 chapters each week, taking notes, and making flashcards. The month before the exam, I studied a lot more and started to test myself almost every night before bed (using one of my test prep apps on my iPhone). Doing this really helped me focus on what I needed to know for test day.

How are you planning to use your certification?

My main reason for getting my certification was to expand my own personal fitness knowledge and use it to benefit CNC. Now, I’m also considering privately training friends, family, and some local readers.

Lunch

Today’s lunch was Creamy Broccoli Soup topped with kale chips.

_MG_6575 (800x533)

A whole wheat Sandwich Thin with horseradish hummus + melted cheddar cheese on top and some almonds.

_MG_6584 (800x533)

_MG_6598 (800x533)

After lunch, my sweet tooth kicked in hard, so I satisfied it with a dark chocolate Adora disk with peanut butter and then, five minutes later, I ate part of a Maple Scone with peanut butter spread on top.

IMG_0001 (800x600)IMG_0002 (800x600)

Snack

A few hours later, I sliced up a banana, put it in a mug, added a scoop of peanut butter, and nuked it all in the microwave for 45 seconds. Yummmm! Warm, mushy goodness!

CrossFit and wine (but not at the same time) are on the agenda for this evening!

Happy Friday, friends!

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston January 6, 2012 at 4:19 pm

I’m kind of surprised, okay scratch that, I’m really surprised that you only need 2 CEU’s in two years. I’d love for you to describe in more detail what your options are to equal 1 CEU. As an RD, which I understand takes a lot more time to complete than your certification, we complete 75 CEU’s in a 5 year period. So I know I’m not comparing apples to apples in terms of what the certifications entail, but I was thinking the CEU requirement would be a little higher. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Emily W January 6, 2012 at 4:54 pm

@Katie @ Healthy Heddleston: I’m surprised too! Again, apples to oranges, but as a teacher we have to complete 100 in 5 years!

Tina @ Best Body Fitness January 6, 2012 at 8:19 pm

@Katie @ Healthy Heddleston: Jumping in here, but basic course are usually only about .3 or .4 CEUs each. Add on certifications (such as fitness nutrition certification) will get you close to the 2 CEU mark.

Katie @ Healthy Heddleston January 6, 2012 at 11:01 pm

@Tina @ Best Body Fitness: @Tina @ Best Body Fitness: Thanks for jumping in Tina! It’s really interesting to learn about CEU’s from different fields. For instance, you’d never seen CEU’s worth .3 or .4 for RD’s… it’s usually a whole number like 1, 2, 3, etc.. but I have seen 1.5, 2.5, etc.

Elisabeth January 7, 2012 at 3:40 am

@Katie @ Healthy Heddleston:
    I’m surprised by the requirement, too! I’m a clinical laboratory scientist & have to earn at least 36 credits every 3 years. Most of the credits I do are worth 1 each (unless attending a seminar worth multiple).

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 6, 2012 at 4:33 pm

A lovely certificate to frame for your office :) Congrats again!

Do you have any idea what CEU’s you’ll do?

Tina January 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm

The Live Workshop that I did counted for some, and I want to do the NASM fitness certification. I think those two things will get me to 2.0!

Marisa @ Loser for Life January 6, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Congrats again on your well-earned certification, Tina! Yum to that soup, too!

Kristen @ Change of Pace January 6, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Congratulations!!! Great lunch too!

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups January 6, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Congratulations! I look forward to seeing how you apply it!

Hayley @ Oat Couture January 6, 2012 at 5:11 pm

Congratulations!! :) Best of luck with it all!! You will kick ass as a PT! :)

kim January 6, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Congrats! Have to find some of that horseradish hummus!

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 6, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Congrats! :) Love the lunch you had….Did I miss the maple scone recipe?? Going to check your recipes…:)
    Adora disk and nut butter=heaven.

Tina January 6, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I haven’t posted it yet, but I will soon. It’s part of another project! ;)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 6, 2012 at 5:17 pm

woo hoo!! congrats on getting your official certification! i love NASM – definitely the way to go in my opinion! are you still planning on doing the nutrition one? (i forgot what it’s called…) i think that’d be interesting to do, but i’m not really wanting to spend the money on it so we’ll see.

your banana-peanut butter mushy combo sounds so good! i might go have that right now for my afternoon snack! ;)

Tina January 6, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Yep! I still want to do it! :)

lynn @ the actor's diet January 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm

congrats on your certification, tina!

Ashley @ coffee cake and cardio January 6, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Congratulations Tina! I’m so happy for you!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie January 6, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Great job on the certificate! As a current full-time student, I know just how gratifying see the fruits of your labor can be :)

Blog is the New Black January 6, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Congrats on the cert coming!

chelsea January 6, 2012 at 5:50 pm

Ah I want to get my certification so bad! Thanks for the inspiration <3

Chels R. January 6, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Congrats on the cert! Have fun with both activities tonight! :)

Megan Infantino January 6, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Congrats on the certification! What was the hardest part for you in getting this?

Corinne January 6, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Do you think it’s feasible to study for the NASM with a full time desk job? I’m thinking I could study nights + weekends.
    What’s an adora disk?? It looks soo yummy with that PB!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 6, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Thanks for the Q & A about NASM, and your insights. Very helpful. And I think it’s great that you did it to expand your own personal knowledge base without having hard core plans to train people or go get a job as a formal trainer, per se.

When I got my yoga certification 12 years ago, I did it for similar reasons and it changed my life…in the best way!

Kaylyn January 6, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Congratulations on the official certification – in hand!
    I am really enjoying all of your crossfit posts! I am new to crossfit as well. I started it in September and have been hooked ever since!
    When I can’t make it to my gym I use reeboks crossfit website – http://www.reebokcrossfitone.com for their ‘travel WODS’ they do not require any equipment which makes them perfect for doing quick home WODS. I thought you might be interested in that for days that you and Mal can’t make it to your gym :)

Kristabel January 6, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I just received my NASM book today! :-)

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee January 6, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Congratulations! I wish I lived in your area because I would love for you to be my trainer! :) Thanks for the pb-banana microwaved snack idea, I’m definitely going to try that.

katie @ KatieDid January 6, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Thanks for the QandA, i’m also interested in getting certified when I graduate college in may as a resume builder and possible job while I save up some money to hopefully go to grad school, we’ll see. But it’s always great to have more knowledge and credentials is how I see it.

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous January 6, 2012 at 7:23 pm

That soup looks good and comforting!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 6, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Congrats on your certification! I’m excited to see how you put it to use. :)

Columbus personal trainer January 6, 2012 at 7:45 pm

Congratulations on the certification! Helping others achieve their fitness goals can be very rewarding.

Stephanie @ Ultra Ambitious January 6, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Loved this post! I just got my NASM textbook today :) I’m curious how often they hold those live workshops. Even though I already have my PT certification and I’m just looking to get more education, I think it would be cool to attend one of them. There’s always room to learn more! :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 6, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Yah! Congratulations! That is awesome! Great job!!!

Kelly @ Vegolosophy January 6, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Congrats on the certification!!

Joelle (on a pink typewriter) January 6, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Yum, that pb-banana concoction looks divine.

Congrats again on getting certified.. I think that’d be a great job to have, personally, and maybe with a nutrition certification too (NASM has that too, yeah?).

Eliana January 6, 2012 at 9:26 pm

So i guess you really like peanut butter LOL! By the way congrats! And PS: I love your blog :)

Cait's Plate January 6, 2012 at 9:35 pm

adora + peanut butter = THE BEST.

Meg January 6, 2012 at 9:56 pm

congrats! it is defintely one of the best certifications to have. ive been using my certification for the past 7 years and have enjoyed the experience. if you ever want any help- please ask!

Hilary January 6, 2012 at 10:40 pm

Haha…the idea of combining crossfit and wine just made laugh! I love the idea of your food combos at lunch…I never would have thought of topping soup with kale chips and I like the hummus/cheese idea too!

Jeralyn January 7, 2012 at 12:05 am

I’ve been debating on getting certified but feel like I wouldn’t learn much. Do you feel like you learned a lot more then you already knew or was it the same basics that we hear repeated over and over?

maria @ Chasing the Now January 7, 2012 at 12:33 am

@Jeralyn: Jumping in–I’m a recent ACE certified trainer and I learned SO MUCH. I’m sure NASM is pretty similar in that regard. There is so much more to training that meets the eye.

Khushboo January 7, 2012 at 1:41 am

Congrats on the certification! Hope you’re getting it framed :)

Lisa January 7, 2012 at 8:29 am

Congrats!! That cup of bananas and pb in the microwave looks yummy!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 7, 2012 at 8:45 am

I need to try that warmed up banana trick! Looks so good :)

Nicola January 7, 2012 at 8:58 am

Congratulations! I qualified as a PT with Premier (think it’s only UK based) a couple of years ago and thought they were fantastic. The knowledge you acquire doing one of these courses is so valuable. One of my blog plans for this year is to go back and revise through my study material as a ‘sharpening the saw’ exercise for myself and also something interesting for my readers. Nutrition course next for me but choosing the right one seems to be the biggest challenge!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 7, 2012 at 10:23 am

Yah for real-live certificates! Training friends, family, and clients can be so fun and rewarding.

Have a good day!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats January 7, 2012 at 11:54 am

Ooo I need to microwave peanut butter more often. So delicious!

emily January 7, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Crossfit +wine would definitely make for an interesting combo…

Marie-Christine January 7, 2012 at 2:20 pm

How many hours did you study each day?

Tina January 7, 2012 at 2:24 pm

It depended on the day. The first couple of months, I spent 1-3 hours per week. But, the month before, I studied almost an hour most days of the week.

Allison January 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Yay, congrats! TJ’s has an awesome horseradish hummus :) I’ve been making the same pita pocket lately cause I can’t get enough of it- whole wheat pita, horseradish hummus, tomato sauce, spinach, turkey, provolone cheese… Stuff and press and viola! Perfect with a side of soup…

Christie January 7, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Oh wow! I never thought about warming up bananas and PB as a delicious, mushy snack. That sounds awe-some- thanks for the idea!

Pam January 8, 2012 at 9:34 pm

Congratulations on completing your certification!! I plan on getting my NASM Certification as well, seems like you dedicated a ton of time studying. How many hours per week did you average?
    I think you will make a great trainer, I bet many local readers would love to work with you!

Ashley @ The North Carolina Cowgirl January 9, 2012 at 7:35 am

Congrats on your certification! :)

Nasm Certification January 20, 2012 at 11:49 am

Hey Tina,

congratulations on your certification! It’s a great feeling when it finally arrives in your mailbox haha

Really good in just three solid months!

All the best :)

Lacretia July 7, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Thanks for your insight! I am considering getting a personal training certificate. The problem is I am working on my Master degree in Social work so I am not sure when I should get the certificate so I won’t have to study for two different fields at once.

Cara January 13, 2013 at 12:46 pm

I’m looking at the cert options, and I see you can pick between Pro, Premiere and Platinum. Did you do Premiere?

Tina January 13, 2013 at 2:09 pm

I think so. Whatever the cheapest option was.

Personal Trainer Guru August 6, 2013 at 9:41 am

Congratulations! for your certificate Tina and your Lunch it looking delicious