• Lunch with Ellie Krieger

January 12, 2012

Hi, guys!

I just got back from having lunch with Ellie Krieger. No big deal.

Lunch

This afternoon, Kris, Karen, and I met Ellie at Cookshop for lunch. (Kris and Karen are the PR folks from the California Grapes Commission.)

Cookshop was a great spot for lunch. The restaurant itself was open and bright with clean lines and simple, colorful décor. The menu was creative, interesting, and featured many seasonal and sustainable ingredients.

When Ellie arrived, the four of us chatted for awhile before we placed our orders for lunch. Ellie was so friendly, well-spoken, and down-to-earth. She seemed like a regular person—not a famous television host and cookbook author. As cheesy as this may sound, chatting with her was like talking to a friend. She’s also really pretty in person!

Fun facts about Ellie:

• She’s an optimist.
    • She once witnessed a wildebeest birth in the wild.
    • There’s a photo of her NYC kitchen in this month’s issue of Better Homes & Gardens.
    • Her newest cookbook was published in October.
    • She read my blog this morning and said she liked it!

For lunch, I ordered the Chicken Breast Salad, which was served with green and red cabbage, carrots, celery root, toasted walnuts, and dried cranberries with a sherry vinaigrette. I didn’t totally love the salad part of my meal (it was a little bland), but the chicken was absolutely amazing. So yum! I’m actually really picky about chicken, so I was happy that this piece was cooked so well. It was incredibly tender and flavorful. It was actually the best chicken breast I can remember eating in a long time.

After lunch, I enjoyed a salted caramel (from Kris).

And a soy cappuccino. (Two espresso drinks in four hours = I’m buzzing!)

Breakfast

For breakfast, Kris, Karen, and I headed down to Chelsea Market. It’s been years since I’ve been there, so I was excited to visit this morning. A lot has changed!

First stop: Ninth Street Espresso!

_MG_6879 (800x533)

I ordered a soy latte, which was outstanding! It was so creamy, so bold, and, oh, so delicious. I was actually sort of sad when I took my final sip. I didn’t want it to end!

_MG_6881 (533x800)

With lattes in hand, we headed to Amy’s Bread to find some eats.

_MG_6887 (800x533)

We ended up sharing a smorgasborg of pastries among the three of us. We had a croissant, Applesauce Doughnut, Almond Brioche Toast, and an Oat Scone with raisins and walnuts. I liked all of them, but my favorite by far was the Almond Brioche Toast. Holy yum! It was thick and sweet with crunchy slivered almonds on top. I actually wish I had another piece to eat right now. I wonder if I could make it at home? I need to Google it!

I have a little downtime before dinner, so I’m going to get ready and pack up my things to head back to Boston in the morning. I can’t believe how quickly this trip flew by! You know what they say!

Charissa January 12, 2012 at 10:01 pm

That coffee looks SO insanely good! I’m off for a hot drink now!!!

Kristi January 12, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Ellie does seem very down to earth on TV too. That must have been really fun!
    I was at Chelsea Market a few weeks ago. It was my first time there, but I was amazed by all of the interesting looking foods. I really wanted to get a crepe from the crepe place (where you can watch them made right in front of you). They all looked amazingly delicious.

Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat It January 12, 2012 at 10:26 pm

what a cool opportunity! all of those desserts look amazing.

Jessica @ Sushi and Sit-Ups January 12, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I love her show! So glad she seems so similar in person.

Patricia January 12, 2012 at 10:59 pm

That’s so awesome, Tina! I actually got reminded of Ellie Krieger today because I cooked some quinoa…and the first time I ever cooked quinoa was using one of her recipes! Glad you are having fun in NYC! :)

honeywhatscooking January 12, 2012 at 11:20 pm

omg, really???????? i’m so jealous! I really like her, she’s so normal and sweet on her show, and she comes across as sucha friendly person. I get a lot of tips from her. I have heard Cookshop is really good for brunch on the weekend, need to check it out. So what else did you talk about? YOu should do another post on the entire convo. :-)

Kerry @ Totes My Oats January 12, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Ahhh Ellie Krieger!! Seeing her on food network gave me guidance to majoring in Nutrition! She’s great

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl January 13, 2012 at 12:02 am

Awesomeness in a day! Great pic of you and Ellie. And that soy latte is so pretty.

Khushboo January 13, 2012 at 12:39 am

I love when celebrities turn out to be down-to-earth, ‘regular’ people!

Leng January 13, 2012 at 1:08 am

That’s so awesome that you got to meet Ellie Krieger!! I’m so jealous!

Laura January 13, 2012 at 1:28 am

Everything looks delicious. :)

But…uh, she’s “pretty in person”? Meaning she isn’t on film? I suspect (hope!) that read differently than you meant it!

MelanieF January 13, 2012 at 12:41 pm

@Laura: People tend to be prettier in person than on television. I don’t think she meant to say she wasn’t pretty on television. Just that she was much prettier in person.

Amber K January 13, 2012 at 1:42 am

That’s awesome that she’s down to earth and nice. I always wonder if people are the same in person as they seem on TV. Sounds like a fun time!

Kathleen @ fittitude freedom January 13, 2012 at 5:43 am

Way cool! I really enjoy her show and her healthy ideas for comfort food. Maybe I’m biased because she is the same age as I am and born in the same month – Virgos rock!

tamara p January 13, 2012 at 6:54 am

I definately overeat restaurant food because it’s so yummy! Before I start eating I try to halve the portions and take half of it home but even half has a lot of calories. It’s so good sometimes I end up coming home with a little less than half. I do like those restaurants that don’t serve such mammoth portions.

Elizabeth January 15, 2012 at 2:59 pm
    Katie January 13, 2012 at 6:54 am

Bummer that you didn’t do more of an interview/Q&A with Ellie – I was really looking forward to something along those lines!

Tina January 13, 2012 at 10:25 am

Unfortunately, the lunch wasn’t really an interview opportunity. Sorry!

Abby January 13, 2012 at 7:47 am

Hi Tina!
    What a great opportunity, I’m just wondering if you have a more formal post in the works about Ellie, with a more in depth interview with her. It’s just such a great opportunity to talk to someone like her, I hope you maximized it.

Tina January 13, 2012 at 10:25 am

Unfortunately, the lunch wasn’t an interview opportunity. Sorry!

Hope January 13, 2012 at 7:54 am

I think that is so cool that you met Ellie and got to hang out with her! I met her at her book signing a couple of years ago. She is a super nice person! I used to love her show on Food Network. I’m sad that they cancelled it. She has great recipes! :)

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous January 13, 2012 at 8:23 am

What a cool opportunity!

Cait January 13, 2012 at 8:25 am

love 9th st espresso. perfect americanos!

Sarah@The Flying ONION January 13, 2012 at 8:53 am

I am such a fan of Ellie! She was one of my main inspirations as I went through school to become an RD myself. I absolutely love her cooking and writing style. :D

Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers January 13, 2012 at 9:07 am

That’s so cool! Of course, it’s also cool that the two of you met at such an appropriate location, foodie heaven. :)

Hilary January 13, 2012 at 10:04 am

All looks so fun and delicious…especially the pastry smorgasbord! :) It’s surprising that that salad was bland, as it looks and sounds delicious.

Lindsay @FuelMyFamily January 13, 2012 at 10:06 am

Those pastries look amazing!

Ashley @ Freckles & Spice January 13, 2012 at 10:11 am

I’ve been wanting to try Cookshop. And ninth street espresso is one of my favorite cups of coffee in the city. I could use one now…

Amina Hogan January 13, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I loved Cookshop when I was in NYC. It was fun to walk the highline afterwards! Next time you’re in the city try Jaiya…it’s amazing contemporary Thai/Asian food, it’s amazing!

Rachel January 13, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Cookshop is so good! You have to go back and try the griddled cheese.

claudia January 13, 2012 at 5:05 pm

that’s an awesome sweater! where’d you acquire it??

Tina January 13, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Thanks! It’s from Marshalls!

Dev January 14, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I have to admit to being a wee bit jealous. I love Ellie Krieger. Sounds like you had an amazing day!

Luv What You Do January 14, 2012 at 2:55 pm

That is so much fun!
    I just ready a magazine article by her with some recipes that I loved. It was on vaca and my mind is still on vaca, but she had some great healthy and easy to make recipes.

Do you use any of her cookbooks?

Laura@mypurposefullife January 14, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I live right by Amy’s bread in Hell’s Kitchen and I love their almond brioche toast! I’ve never met an Amy’s item I didn’t like, but the toast is definitely a favorite.

Laura @ Unchartered 20s January 17, 2012 at 2:13 pm

My husband works at Amy’s Bread (the one in Hell’s Kitchen), so all that stuff looks mighty familiar!! :)

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie January 20, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Ellie Krieger = my hero :) Better than Rachel Ray!