• Inbox Explosion

January 25, 2012

Holy moly! My inbox exploded today! So many emails, not enough time!

I reply to every reader email that I receive in my inbox, so it might take me a little while to respond, but, I assure you, you’ll eventually get a reply from me. Obviously, I love hearing from you guys, so keep those emails coming!

IMG_0001 (800x600)_thumb[1]

With that said, I’m going to start replying to reader emails in blog posts again, like I did with Three Questions Thursday. You guys seemed to find this blog feature helpful, so I decided to bring it back. Here are a few reader questions with my replies!

I am starting early in 2012 to accomplish my goal of a running a half marathon. I just signed up for my first one, for late April. Now I am trying to figure out what training plan to follow. There are so many different ones online, and then some that you have to pay for. What would you suggest for training for my first one? Is it worth paying for one or do you have a plan you would recommend?

I love SmartCoach from Runner’s World for training plans. It’s totally customizable, so you can select your distance training goal, average weekly mileage, intensity level, plan length, and even the day of the week you want to do your long run. And, the best part, it’s FREE!

In one of your previous posts, you mentioned 2 NASM CPT apps that you used.  I was just wondering if you would recommend one over the other if you had to choose between them? I am planning to take the exam in March but I’d rather not buy 2 apps.

I mentioned the NASM Personal Trainer and NASM Exam Prep apps in one of my previous posts. Both are good, but if you just want to purchase one, I’d go with the NASM Exam Prep app because the questions are much more challenging and varied, which will better prepare you for the exam. The NASM Personal Trainer app was developed by NASM, but I found the questions to be pretty easy and not entirely representative of what I saw on the actual test.

I notice that you like your coffee (me too!) and that you use soymilk in your coffee and iced coffees. I’m just wondering, what do you sweeten it with? Stevia, Agave, Truvia, sugar? I have to sweeten mine and just always trying to figure out the best way health and calorie wise.

I actually don’t sweeten my coffee. I just add soy milk to it. Occasionally, however, I’ll buy the vanilla-flavored soy milk, which adds a good amount of sweetness.

Snack

My Overnight Oats in Jar didn’t satisfy me for long because my stomach started to grumble only a couple of hours later, so I nuked some frozen edamame in the microwave for a mid-morning snack.

Lunch

A little while later, I threw together a quick lunch: egg salad made with two hard-boiled eggs, a mashed-up avocado, and truffle salt on a toasted whole wheat English muffin.

Yum! It tasted so delicious—even better than regular old egg salad made with mayo. Plus, of course, adding avocado was a much more nutritious way to eat it!

Snack

My egg-avocado sandwich held off my hunger for quite awhile, but I grabbed a banana to eat as an afternoon snack. Sometimes, I just need a little something to hold me over until dinnertime.

I’m off to cook dinner and then relax.

Enjoy the night, friends!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio January 25, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I liked three question Thursdays, so I’m glad their back.

I think avocados can be a great mayo replacement. The creaminess is awesome.

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio January 25, 2012 at 5:23 pm

@Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio: Eeek. I used the wrong they’re…. my bad. I do know the proper use, my fingers were typing faster than my brain I guess.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 25, 2012 at 5:28 pm

great to know about SmartCoach! i’ll be running my first half this summer and have been researching some training plans… it sounds like SmartCoach is very customizable, which I like!

Anjali @ The Picky Eater January 25, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Eggs and Avocado is the best combination! I actually made scrambled eggs and mixed the avocado in, it melted and gave it an even creamier texture!

Emily @ The Swallow Flies January 25, 2012 at 6:47 pm

@Anjali @ The Picky Eater: That sounds SO good!

Erika - The Teenage Taste January 25, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Glad that your Three Questions Thursday posts are back in full-swing! I’m going to check out My Smart Coach right now!

Tricia January 25, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Love the 3 Questions series!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 25, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Have fun cooking dinner!

I too love the 3 questions Thursday thing too–so glad you brought it back :) It’s fun to hear what other readers are up to as well.

Leanne January 25, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I’ve used halhigdon.com . Free programs as well and offers programs for novice to advanced runners! Good luck!

Kristi @ SimplyKristi January 25, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I actually forgot to pick up some mayo at the store the other day to make some chicken or egg salad. But, I DO have an avocado. I think I might try that out. Perfect timing! btw- that picture of Murphy is so adorable. Love it.

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 25, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I’ve used Hal Higdon and Smart Coach and loved both. Although, the Smart Coach program helped me achieve a PR!

Eggs and avocado = yummy!

RunEatRepeat January 25, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I want that egg salad for dinner!

Amelia January 25, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Haha! So glad I didn’t send you an email too. ;) Based on the earlier post, I had a feeling that your inbox might get a little backed up.

LOVE LOVE avocado instead of mayo in my egg salad. Dill is also a nice addition when I have some handy. Your way of eating is very similar to mine in that I like eating tiny meals with lots of snacks sprinkled throughout the day. Keeps the metabolism going and prevents me from feeling STUFFED.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 25, 2012 at 7:15 pm

Your avo-egg sandwich just gave me some ideas…thank you! I have lots of ripe avos (all at once!) to use.

And inbox explosion? I think most everyone can relate…we all get so many emails and I know you probably get even one or two more :)

Mindy @ clueless nut January 25, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I love the addition of avocado in the egg sandwich. I ate it by the spoon this morning, no shame.

sarah s January 25, 2012 at 7:40 pm

aw, you posted my email question about NASM apps…. that makes me smile :) i love reading healthy living blogs but thought it was a stretch to send you an email with a personal question! however, i was impressed by how quickly you responded to me and am glad you thought the question was relevant enough to share with the rest of the wonderful blog world! thanks again!

Mallory @ Have Your Cake and Eat It January 25, 2012 at 7:48 pm

ooh great idea to replace mayo with avocado – i dont like mayo anyway but this looks delish!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 25, 2012 at 8:14 pm

omg that sandwhich looks so good! Haha and I ALWAYS need something to tide me over until dinner! I eat every 3-4 hours!

Kristen @ Change of Pace January 25, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I really like the questions. Usually one of them is one I’ve been wondering about. I also love the avocado/egg idea. A lot of times I mash an avocado and white beans together and use it as a spread.

nazish January 25, 2012 at 8:29 pm

In reference to the overexcercising issue, Tina, you seem like a pretty reasonable person. Your blog has changed over the past couple of years. If you look back at the posts before you started competitive running and then this whole crossfit/paleo phase, you will notice not subtle, but very obvious changes. You can even notice it on the, excuse me, but pinched look on your face. You seemed much happier back then and made other readers happy as well. However, the damage is not as great as hungryrunnergirl, who unfortunately is in great denial about her habits. She needs to sit down with a psychiatrist and not her husband, who feeds her ego about running, just because he needs a running buddy.

That is my opinion. You bloggers really need to be careful and take responsibility for what your viewers are reading. Kath from Kath eats for example, lays out a balanced picture of health. I always thought you did too, and I know you can.

Tina January 25, 2012 at 8:34 pm

What damage has been done? Pinched look on my face? What does that mean?

Laura January 25, 2012 at 9:01 pm

@Tina: Haters gonna hate. ;-) (OK. That was maybe a little inappropriate).
    From my perspective people change, evolve, grow as we get older. I’ve been reading for years and think of your blog as a friend (Is that creepy? I hope that doesn’t sound creepy!) and I’ve enjoyed seeing you GROW because frankly, reading about people growing/changing is more interesting! If my best girlfriends were the same exact people they were 5 or 10 years ago I would be WORRIED. Life’s a journey and each experience gives us fresh perspectives. It’s been great to read about your journey Tina. :-D

Tina January 25, 2012 at 9:03 pm

@Laura: Thanks! :)

TeenyLittleSuperChef January 25, 2012 at 8:39 pm

We should all be so lucky to be as popular as you are. I know it probably seems like a burden sometimes, but you should be proud of yourself knowing that so many people are reaching out to you from all over the world with questions and comments. Pretty awesome! Another thing that’s awesome is egg salad with avocado mashed in. Why the heck have I never thought of this before? I love both of those things, so obviously, why not put them together. Totally ups the yum factor for egg salad! Have a great night Tina!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 25, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Loooove that sandwich idea! I am totally doing that sometime this week!

Aya January 25, 2012 at 9:04 pm

I just have to tell you how much I love your blog, with all the food pictures and workout posts. I must try making that egg salad. Keep blogging!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) January 25, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I love the idea of using avocado instead of mayo. I remember reading that somewhere and have yet to try it. Thanks for reminding me about it!

honeywhatscooking January 25, 2012 at 9:15 pm

wow, the egg and avocado is such a great idea.. i’ve had that combo in huevos rancheros, but didn’t think of using just egg and avo for breakfast. cool! thx.

Michelle (Better with Berries) January 25, 2012 at 9:18 pm

I’d never heard of the Smartcoach plans – I’ll have to try it! Although I’ve always used Hal Higdon’s plans and they haven’t done me wrong!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 25, 2012 at 9:58 pm

Great post! I need to try that avocado/egg idea :)

Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 25, 2012 at 10:10 pm

I am all about edamame recently! The first time I have ever had it was just a few weeks ago, and since then I have had it three times already! Ha

Cait's Plate January 25, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Oooh I love the egg/avocado idea! Delish!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 25, 2012 at 10:19 pm

I’m going to go hard boil some eggs right now b/c that avo egg combo looks so good.

Casey @ oatsandnanners January 25, 2012 at 10:45 pm

3 Question Thursday is perfect! Some of us have the same questions but we think it’s silly to ask you — basically, thanks for the tips on SmartCoach :)

Kim January 25, 2012 at 10:52 pm

I love how Murphy is in so many of your posts. I too take a zillion pictures of my dog Cooper.

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 25, 2012 at 10:57 pm

I am not an avacado fan, but I think I could actually eat the egg sandwich :) Looks yummy!

Have a great night Tina!

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 25, 2012 at 10:58 pm

avocado…:/ :)

Anna E. January 25, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Yum, I’m gonna have to try mixing avocado + egg…sounds really good and like it’d be a great satisfying veg meal.

Also, I have no idea why, but that first picture of Murphy scared the sh*t out of my cat sitting right in front of the screen. He almost took out my right eye trying to scram as fast as kittenly possible. Ha! What a wuss.

Khushboo January 26, 2012 at 12:14 am

That’s my favorite way to make an egg salad- and now I am craving some for lunch!

Ashley January 26, 2012 at 12:22 am

How did you find a decently priced crossfit gym? I’ve always been interested in it but I live in the DC metro area which runs at least 125/month per person on the cheapest end without a special (cheaper exists if you want uncertified or a dump). I did a groupon once and loved it… I just don’t have at least $110/month when I get $19/month with my gym that has one near myself in Reston VA and my BF in Rockville MD. Since you are very thrifty and :TradingupDowntown” how do you work this? Yes, I understand WOD but if you’ve never seen it then where do you start?

Ashley January 26, 2012 at 12:39 am

@Ashley: I’m not trolling, I seriously just am curious because I’m bitter that I can’t find an afordable crossfit gym in Northern Va/DC/MD :-/

Alba & Dilek January 26, 2012 at 1:06 am

I have two avocados that I didn’t know how to consume quickly other than putting them in salad. This sounds like a great idea!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 26, 2012 at 8:09 am

I always use Greek yogurt to replace mayo in tuna/egg salad – I’ve never tried avocado but I bet it would taste so creamy and amazing! I definitely need to try that next time.

I’m glad you brought back Three Questions Thursdays – I always enjoy reading your answers! :)

Katie January 26, 2012 at 8:24 am

Just out of curiosity how many emails do you get on a daily basis? :)

Tina January 26, 2012 at 8:28 am

@Katie: From readers? Or just in general?

Katie January 26, 2012 at 8:40 am

@Tina: Either one I guess! I just have no idea how you keep up especially after reading this post!

Tina January 26, 2012 at 8:48 am

@Katie: From readers: 15-20/day. From PR folks: 50-100/day. Blog comments: 100-200+/day. It’s madness! I spend a lot of my day just replying to emails!

Katie January 26, 2012 at 1:52 pm

@Tina: Wow! That is impressive.

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables January 26, 2012 at 8:25 am

I hate the mayo-ness of regular egg salad but something tells me I would totally love it with avocado. Great idea!

Becky @ Fit Chick on the FLy January 26, 2012 at 9:09 am

Egg salad and and avocado mushed together…. never woulda thought of that! Look delish!