• Grapes from California Media Dinner at Saxon + Parole

January 14, 2012

On Thursday night, the folks from California Grapes hosted an amazing media dinner at Saxon + Parole. I’m still thinking about the meal a couple of days later!

Saxon + Parole is a stunning space. It was definitely a treat to dine there.

_MG_6891 (800x533)

_MG_6895 (800x533)

The dinner was hosted in a private room at the back of the restaurant.

_MG_6903 (800x533)

Before everyone arrived, I took a quick pre-dinner photo with the lovely ladies from California Grapes!

And the handsome Executive Chef, Brad Farmerie.

The menu for the evening featured five courses, each of which incorporated grapes from California.

_MG_6906 (800x533)

Before dinner, Kris and Karen welcomed everyone and said a few words about grapes and their health benefits and snacking potential.

IMG_0006 (800x600)IMG_0008 (600x800)

And then it was time to eat! (Honestly, this meal was epic. Every course just got better and better!)

First course

Chicken liver mousse with grape and black pepper jelly

Chicken liver mousse? Sounds sort of weird, right? Well, it was absolutely delicious when paired with the grape and black pepper jelly. Savory + sweet!

2nd course

Endive, frisee & baby spinach salad with maple-roasted grapes, and Stilton cheese

Maple-roasted grapes might be my new favorite food—so sweet and so juicy. They tasted amazing with the Stilton cheese. I love stinky, salty cheese paired with sweet ingredients.

3rd course

Miso-glazed bone marrow with smoked grape and olive marmalade and tasted brioche

The bone marrow was my favorite course of the entire meal (even over dessert). The miso glaze did something crazy-awesome to the flavor. The salty, fatty bone marrow spread on the toasted brioche and paired with smoked grape and olive marmalade was pure heaven.

4th course

Black Angus filet mignon with housemade grape steak sauce

The filet mignon was perfectly cooked. I don’t think I’ve ever had such a tender and flavorful piece of meat. I was pretty full at this point in the evening, but I still managed to eat almost the entire portion!

5th course

Almond and grape clafoutis with buttered rum ice cream

Mmm… the almond and grape clafoutis with buttered rum ice cream was the perfect way to end the meal. It wasn’t overly sweet and the portion was on the small side, so I enjoyed it without leaving dinner stuffed to the gills.

What a way to end my trip to New York City! Thanks, again, California Grapes!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 14, 2012 at 3:33 pm

what a beautiful meal – the atmosphere and the food! and all of those courses look and sound so decadent and delicious!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 14, 2012 at 3:42 pm

what a fantastic looking meal! Ahhh I can’t wait until I can afford to go to restaurants like that!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 14, 2012 at 3:51 pm

oh my gosh! This is an epic meal! Haha bone marrow sounds so good! I’ve never tried it :)

kelsey @ living the gluten free life January 14, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Who knew you could do all that with grapes! Not sure if I would be brave enough to try all the courses however!

Caro January 14, 2012 at 3:58 pm

This sure looks delicious! I am quite envious ;)

Christine @ Burning It Off January 14, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Ooh, I’ve tried bone marrow before… very tasty and sooo good spread on bread with something sweet to balance it out (like jam or chutney). Yummy looking meal!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio January 14, 2012 at 4:12 pm

What a gorgeous restaurant and spectacular meal. That must have been so much fun Tina! And you’re right, the chef is a hottie!

Michelle (Peachy Palate) January 14, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Have to try making maple roasted grapes they sound amazing! I have grapes every single day without fail…grapes and dark chocolate are the only two things I eat consistently/repeatedly, day after day as my night time snack, LOVE them! Great to see so many ideas to incorporate them in to meals, I’m sure I’d make it through the five course though, definitely a “top buttoning opening” kinda meal!

Hilary January 14, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Whoa…AMAZING! I don’t know if I could get into the chicken liver mousse, but other than that, I’d be all in…never tried bone marrow before!

Michelle (Better with Berries) January 14, 2012 at 4:55 pm

Wow – what an amazing meal! I’ve actually never tried really cooking with grapes. Now I’m inspired :-)

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 14, 2012 at 5:03 pm

oh WOW. Most of this does sound delicious!

chelsea January 14, 2012 at 6:59 pm

I looove restaurants that serve by courses. Yummm.

Krystina (Organically Me) January 15, 2012 at 12:45 am

Tina, you do know it’s Saxon + Parole, right? I mean, it says Saxon right in your picture.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 15, 2012 at 8:19 am

Everything about that meal looks fantastic! I would have been all over the salad course – I love fruit paired with blue cheese too!

Nicole January 15, 2012 at 8:34 am

Just a quick question – when you attend events such as this one (that restaurant looks beautiful!) do the hosts ask dietary restrictions of attendees/are alternative offerings available for vegetarians, vegans, etc?

Tina January 15, 2012 at 8:53 am

Yep, they usually do. Although, the menu is typically pre-determined, so if you are vegetarian, they’ll give you a meat-free variation of the dish (or something different all together), so you won’t go hungry!

Samantha January 16, 2012 at 10:02 am

Hey, I made it in a photo! It was o great to meet you, and you’re right, that dinner was to die for.

Tina January 17, 2012 at 2:53 pm

@Samantha: So nice to meet you too! Good luck with marathon training! :)