• Eating Machine

January 14, 2012

Today is one of those days when I want to eat everything in sight and nothing seems to satisfy my hunger. I’m not sure what’s up with my suddenly ravenous appetite, but I’m just going with it. Sometimes, my body is hungry, and I need to FEED it!

Breakfast

I started my day with a big bowl of “Oatmeal” Minus the Oats with a scoop of peanut butter. I ended up going back for a second scoop because this breakfast is just so delicious with tons of nut butter!

_MG_6942 (800x533)

Workout

After breakfast, Mal and I headed to CrossFit for our second workout in less than 24 hours. We went last night too because we’re brainwashed cult members.

WOD: “Butt Smoker”

100-80-60-40-20

Wall Balls (20, 14)

Kettlebell Swings (53, 36)

Simply put, this workout was ridiculous. In total, we did 300 Wall Balls (squats with a medicine ball that you throw 10 feet into the air and catch) and 300 Kettlebell swings. We did 100 Wall Balls followed by 100 Kettlebell swings, 80 Wall Balls followed by 80 Kettlebell swings, and then did the same thing for 60, 40, and 20. My goodness, I don’t think I’ll ever be the same after that workout.

I used a 10-pound medicine ball and a 20-pound kettlebell, which is much less than the prescribed weight from women, but the reps alone nearly killed me. It took my group just over 45 minutes to finish the WOD, so it was a serious endurance workout.

Snack

After CrossFit, I snacked on a clementine and a protein shake made with vanilla protein powder, almond milk, and caramel-flavored flax oil.

IMG_0005 (600x800)IMG_0006 (600x800)

I was still hungry after eating these two snacks, so I made myself a whole wheat Sandwich Thin with sunflower butter and chia seeds on top.

Lunch

A little while later, Mal and I headed out to run some errands and go grocery shopping for the week. During our travels, we made a pit-stop for lunch at Chipotle. I wasn’t super hungry after eating all of those snacks, so I ordered a chicken burrito and only ate half of it.

In the mix: chicken, black beans, guacamole, peppers, tomatoes, salsa, and hot sauce.

Snack

When we got home from our errands, I was hungry again, so I sliced up a banana and put it in a mug along with a massive scoop of almond butter.

You’d think the ol’ nut butter + banana would do the trick, but, just now, I chowed down a KIND Bar. I think I’ll be able to make it until dinner now. I hope!

Off to make Spinach Dip for the Pats game! Mal and I (and Murphy) are going to our friends’ house for the game tonight. Go Pats!

P.S. For those of you who asked for my Maple Scone recipe, here it is!

Hilary January 14, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Wow…that workout looks pretty epic…I feel like all my workouts are nothing in comparison!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 14, 2012 at 4:38 pm

maybe your appetite is extra crazy because of your intense workouts the past couple days? i always notice my hunger is out of control if i do a long run or have an intense workout or two. like you said though, it’s kinda fun to just go with it! that chipotle burrito looks so good – i haven’t had one in way too long. i need to fix that!

Taryn January 14, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s because of all of the kick butt workouts you’ve been doing!! sometimes the body just needs to refuel!!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 14, 2012 at 4:44 pm

You really are a bottomless pit today! Maybe it’s all the workouts–I know when I work out a lot I want to eat everything in sight.

[New Balance] Nicole January 14, 2012 at 4:45 pm

must be all those crossfit workouts, I can only image how hard they are! I have those days too and you just have to go along with it :) Food=Fuel!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio January 14, 2012 at 4:51 pm

That workout looks ridiculous but I bet you felt awesome afterwards!

Mindy @ clueless nut January 14, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I’ve been eating non-stop today, too! I’ve still been loving the oatmeal minus the oats… mine with almond butter! I tried the banana + sun butter in the microwave and added a few dark chocolate chips… oh. my. gawd. Have a great night!

Michelle (Better with Berries) January 14, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Your crossfit workouts ALL look so intense to me! It’s no wonder you’re so hungry. Isn’t that the greatest? I love to eat so a good workout that makes me need lots of food is always welcome :-)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 14, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Hmm love the scone recipe! Thanks :)

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 14, 2012 at 5:01 pm

What an awesome, ridiculous workout!! That’s how things CHANGE and you get fitter :) GO you. I love endurance workouts….no idea why. Just feels so good!

Have a good night!

Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] January 14, 2012 at 5:08 pm

wow, no wonder you have an appetite today — that is one heck of a calorie-burning WOD. nice job! kb swings are the best.

Michelle January 14, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I love that you are getting into Crossfit. It’s one of the best things I’ve done in terms of fitness in a long time. I love it! Have you done the “Barbara” workout yet? It’s epic. I did it on Thursday and I’m still wrecked!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 14, 2012 at 5:27 pm

I’m having one of those days myself too. I just dominated almost half a bag of pretzels with a raspberry honey mustard dip that is seriously akin to crack. I had to force myself to put it away!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 14, 2012 at 5:56 pm

That looks like quite the crazy intense workout!

I’d be eating up a storm after that beast, too :)

Roz@weightingfor50 January 14, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Guess your body is telling you it needs fuel to replace all the energy you’ve burned at those workouts. I call days like this “eat a house” days. Not everything IN the house….eat the whole house. (mine come about every 4 weeks or so, if you know what I mean) Have a wonderful weekend.

Sneakers2Sandals January 14, 2012 at 6:22 pm

First I love me some tebow! Second of all, that workout looks amazing. I’m bringing it to my Bootcamp instructor! Or it’s a good one to do at the gym by myself if I had enough self motivation. You’re gonna be sore and it’s gonna be awesome :)

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous January 14, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I have been loving clementines lately!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 14, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I’ve been feeling hungrier than usually today, as well. But I haven’t even worked out … so I don’t know what exactly is going on. I’ve just been trying to snack on healthier foods, and then I made an early dinner. I made a frittata for the first time in my life, and it was delicious! Too bad I burned my hand in the process … not smart. ;)

Emily @ The Swallow Flies January 14, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I absolutely hate the days where I feel like a human garbage disposal, and you’re right: nothing fills you up! I guess that’s just our bodies telling us we need some food!

chelsea January 14, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Ohh that workout just sounds epic! I wanna give it a go now haha. You’re having a hollow day as they like to call it in The Hunger Games ;) A day where you stomach just seems hollow no matter what!

Amelia (Eating Made Easy) January 14, 2012 at 7:07 pm

By the looks of your new CrossFit habit, I’d say the reason why you’re getting extra hungry is obvious! Such intense full-body workouts that are building muscle which requires more calories to sustain. Keep it up – the extra eating looks fun :)

Patricia January 14, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Wow! That WOD is intense! I did my first Wall Balls today and I just about died doing that. That stuff is hard! Good job, Tina! :) I am also slowing becoming a brainwashed cult member lol…

Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean January 14, 2012 at 7:32 pm

You’re starving because you’re doing some KILLER workouts woman! I am LOVING LOVING LOVING this workout. I cannot wait to take it on! Thanks for sharing :-)

And Chipotle burritos? Yes. Please!

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee January 14, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I too had one of those days! I ate so much. And watched the USA olympic trials marathon, and afterwards I was super inspired and went on a long run, which made me even hungrier.

cat @ cats belly fat cure January 14, 2012 at 8:12 pm

Sounds like you’re exercising hard AND listening to your body. Sounds great.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats January 14, 2012 at 9:18 pm

eating when you’re hungry is key, especially when it’s such healthy food!

Karina Vargas` January 14, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Dude I have been in snack attack mode for like, three days. HELP ME.

Kristen @ semihealthy January 14, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I heart cold leftover chipotle!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 14, 2012 at 10:29 pm

Chipotle must be the place this week! Your the 3rd blog I read today that someone went to Chipotle. It’s a sign from the Burritos Gods telling me I better go to Chipotle. I love there Chicken Fajita bowls with brown rice. I love that they carry brown rice now! Have fun watching the game!!

katie @ KatieDid January 14, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I like your chuck taylors!!

Casey @ OatsAndNanners January 14, 2012 at 10:48 pm

You’re like a poster girl for Crossfit! Super inspiring… as in, I might venture to our nearest location and give it a shot. If your metabolism is that revved up, something must be working!

Khushboo January 14, 2012 at 11:05 pm

Wow intense workout- no wonder your appetite was charged up!

Irina G @ Fit Flexitarian January 15, 2012 at 12:47 am

I think we’ve definitely ALL had those days where you just eat and eat and keep eating. It sounds like that workout was pretty intense, though, so it was well deserved!

olivia35 January 15, 2012 at 4:30 am

I think you should start eating “real food” again (normal oatmeal, no protein powder) … your body is telling you something when it’s constantly hungry … i experienced that myself.

Marty January 15, 2012 at 7:08 am

I can totally relate. I was feeling like an eating machine on Wednesday. I had granola, a cup of coffee, almonds, everything! But, nothing seemed to do the trick. Doesn’t it get frustrating when you can’t satisfy your hunger because you’re not even sure what you are craving?

Allison January 15, 2012 at 7:36 am

That’s def a workout, my body aches just thinking about it haha ;P I have those ravenous days every now and then too- it feels like no matter what or how much I put into my mouth, it’s not enough!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon January 15, 2012 at 7:38 am

Oh my gosh that workout sounds SO intense! I can’t imagine doing that many reps!!

Cait's Plate January 15, 2012 at 8:00 am

Haha I totally know those days. I love them but also hate them because it feels like every 5 seconds I have to stop what I’m doing to feed myself!

Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 15, 2012 at 9:13 am

I love how when your body says it’s hungry, you feed it!! There’s no reason to analyze it and we don’t need the same amount of calories everyday! That is why the eat when you’re hungry and stop when you’re full rule is so important. With your intense workouts lately, I am positive your body needs more food, it makes me hungry just reading about them! :-)

runnrjo January 15, 2012 at 10:54 am

That workout looks amazing! As a fellow CrossFitter, I will be trying this one on Monday morning!

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ January 15, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I would be starving too if I did those insane CrossFit workouts!!! plus, you had such delicious food…chipotle is one of my favorite quick lunch spots!
    i hope you enjoyed your weekend stayed warm! i can imagine that MA was frigid since PA barely got above 25 degrees!

Emily January 15, 2012 at 5:36 pm

Ooo, looks like a rough workout. I would also being using much less than the prescribed weight, I think. Thats something that upset me a little bit since I lift so much, but I guess that’s one of those things about Crossfit. You get strong QUICKLY (at least from what I understand!)

Lindsay @ Salt, Sun & Sanity January 15, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Oh man, I have those bottomless-pit days too. (I actually just had one yesterday), and I find they definitely match up pretty spot-on with hormonal changes! I love that you listen to your body when it’s telling you what it needs. I’m just starting to try to listen to mine, and not follow a set schedule of what/when I think I should eat, and it’s making a huge difference!
    I also can’t wait to make those sushi and margarita recipes… mmmmmm

meghan @ struggle muffins January 15, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Sounds like the crazy workouts are catching up to you in the appetite department. It can be kind of annoying to never feel full no matter how much you eat, but then again, there are worse problems than being a bottomless pit :)

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl January 15, 2012 at 11:31 pm

I love KIND bars. coconut + almond, cranberry + almond are my faves. Nice job on the WOD. Crazy! Will I be seeing you in the 2012 Reebok Crossfit open? ;)

I get the same type of appetite now that I am weight training. I almost feel its similar to baby food consistency. LOL. Oatmeal, smoothies, fruit, more oatmeal, yogurt, sautéed veggies… soft foods in general.

Shannon January 20, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Do you ever get sick of nut butter?! I can’t eat too much of it – makes me have an upset stomach!

Tina January 20, 2012 at 2:53 pm

No, never.

Mandi January 20, 2012 at 6:15 pm

As much as I love reading your blog for yummy recipes and good workouts, you made me swoon when you mentioned the Pats. Go Pats! :)

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie January 20, 2012 at 11:33 pm

I really need to try that “oatmeal.” I just can’t get away from ‘ole faithful though!