• Brainstorm Session

January 17, 2012

Hello!

So, I have a big favor to ask of you guys. This morning, when I tried to start my Feel Great Weight (FGW) post for next week, I realized I needed some new ideas. I’ve blogged for Health.com for 2.5 years now, which means I’ve written more than 150 posts related to my “feel great” weight. I want to keep things fresh and interesting, so I’m hoping you guys might want to help me out with a little brainstorming session.

What topics would you like to see me cover in my FGW posts? Do you have any questions for me related to losing and/or maintaining my weight?

I’m honestly open to just about any subject as long as it’s somewhat related to weight loss/maintenance. Please feel free to leave a comment on this post with your ideas and/or questions. I’d appreciate it so much. Thanks in advance for your help!

Breakfast

This morning’s breakfast was inspired by a recipe for “custard” oatmeal from Susan of The Great Balancing Act. Custard oatmeal? Sounds interesting, right? Well, it’s basically oatmeal with a whole egg and almond milk mixed in, so it turns out incredibly thick and creamy. I was sort of worried that it would taste eggy, but I couldn’t taste it at all.

In the mix:

• 1/3 cup rolled oats
    • 1/4 cup granola
    • 1 egg
    • 1.25 cups water
    • 1/3 cup almond milk
    • Cinnamon
    • 2 scoops of almond butter

Pug 5K

Excited news! The Second Annual PRoNE 5K is scheduled for June 2, 2012! I’m almost positive Murphy is going to do it again. I mean, last year’s race was so fun, there’s no way he could miss it!

IMG_0066-500x375

P.S. Did you win my Super Awesome Health & Fitness Giveaway from Target? Two out of the three winners haven’t contacted me yet!

Ashley January 17, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Hi Tina,
    I am a cardio lover and have always been afraid of doing much weight lifting because of potentially ‘bulking up’. I now know this is a myth but don’t know where to start! I would love a tutorial of free weights at home and/or a weight machines at the gym ‘how to’ video. Also, has CrossFit affected your appetite and/or weight? Thanks!!

deb January 17, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Found your blog recently and enjoy it every day. Since I’ve adopted a plant based whole foods (with no added fat) lifestyle, I’d love to see recipes reflecting this way of eating! Thanks for taking the time to blog and share with all of us!

Amy January 17, 2012 at 6:23 pm

A broader survey of people and THEIR feel great weight and struggles would be really interesting. You could talk to people in various stages and situations of life and do articles around them. While your articles are helpful, you are only one perspective. And reading US Weekly about how Kate Hudson lost her baby weight or how Jennifer Hudson lost millions of pounds somehow just isn’t relevant to my real life. You could be like an anthropologist….

Megan S January 17, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I’d love to see a post about how to keep an eye on your weight without obsessing. How often do you weigh yourself, what seems like normal fluctuations and what seems like weight gain that you need to do something about. When you notice you’ve gained a little weight, how do you do something about it without beating yourself up?

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 17, 2012 at 6:39 pm

I love egg whites in my oats, but I’ve never tried a whole egg before! I’ve always thought the egg flavour would be too strong, but if you say it’s not, then I’ll guess I’ll trust you! ;)

Jenna January 17, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I think a great FGW post could center around how to lose weight while working a full-time, demanding job.

Cristina January 17, 2012 at 8:36 pm

I second this one!

Sarah @ Sarah's Modern Bites January 17, 2012 at 9:55 pm

@Cristina: Third!!!

Janna January 17, 2012 at 10:05 pm

@Sarah @ Sarah’s Modern Bites: work 8-430, grad classes 530-8. So that’s my schedule hah and waking up early is not really an option I get no sleep as it is- any suggestions are appreciated!

Darla January 18, 2012 at 4:03 pm

@Janna: Yes, this would be great. I too work at a full time job, but one that keeps me seated for 90% of the time and depressed about how little activity/flexibility I get during the day. I have to plan evenings/mornings very carefully and don’t have the luxury of running off to a gym workout at 10:30am.

Also, I pack a lunch almost every day, but packing enough to eat, without wanting to run to the vending machine at 3pm, is a challenge in and of itself sometimes. I get the impression that, working from home, you can just open up the fridge when it’s lunchtime or grab an extra snack if you are feeling particularly hungry one day. Perhaps challenge yourself to plan full day “to-go” meals for a week or month, as though you were heading to an office? I find your plated meal photographs very helpful as portion size examples and would love to see how you might address “to-go” options.

Lauren Schraut January 17, 2012 at 6:53 pm

Sweet tooth….
    After dinner I am ALWAYS craving something sweet. How do I satisfy that and not overdo it? I feel as though I will satisfy it, but then I want more and more…portion control. I am finally down to a good weight after losing about 15 pounds, but I would LOVE to lose about 5-10 more (its all the sweets haha)!

Laura Dickerson January 17, 2012 at 7:01 pm

Around my period I always feel like a bottomless pit and am never full! Are there any studies linking periods and people’s cravings or hunger changes, etc?

Kelsey January 17, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I think it would be great if you wrote about different cultures’ ideas about how to be healthy, and the tips we can take away from that. I’m living in Japan right now and I find it really interesting how the people here maintain their healthy lifestyles. They would not agree with the typical American on a lot of things– for example, high sodium diets don’t worry them much and white rice is considered to be part of a healthy diet. But even if our ideas of health don’t completely match up, there is a lot we can learn from the Japanese diet, like how to incorporate fresh vegetables into our diets, how to make sweets without much added sugar, and how to provide students with healthy school lunches. Anyway, I think you could take this idea and do a series, with a different country or culture highlighted each week.

Karen January 18, 2012 at 1:21 am

@Kelsey: great idea ! I live in France and we also have a different viewpoint on many things regarding nutrition and health. A few other ideas : I would also like to know how you get enough protein, get enough calcium… Balanced diet ? Following it exactly ? Portion control, and my BIGGEST challenge is never taking it off but keeping it off with the final 4 pounds always fluctuating.

Sarah January 17, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I have trouble not going back for seconds. I have tried eating not in the kitchen, putting all the food away, distracting myself with something else… but My mind urges me to keep eating after I have finished my pre-portioned meal. I cannot seem to get control of this residual fake hunger I feel ( and I do eat enough during the day and post exercise) but it is ruining all the hard work I do at the gym. Any tips on how to trick my mind?

Lindsay January 17, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Maybe answer a reader’s question regarding FGW each week! It seems like we all have a lot of questions and topics we’d like to learn more about.

jessa r. January 17, 2012 at 9:11 pm

i’d love to read your thoughts on…
    *how to handle social situations (i.e., someone brings in cupcakes to work and when I refuse, people act like “oooohhh jessa’s so good…” when in reality I just don’t want to indulge in that cupcake, right then.)
    *how to keep emotions from derailing one’s diet
    *how do you not worry all the time about maintaining the weight? dieting feels like a full-time job!

Ilana January 17, 2012 at 10:00 pm

A fun idea would be recipes/foods that fill you up but don’t weigh you down. Finding the perfect combo is hard to find!

Cate January 17, 2012 at 10:02 pm

My friends and I wanted to run that race last year! We also thought about this one at Castle Island – http://runagainstcancer.org/doggy-5k/. It looks fun!

Tasha January 17, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I would love to see a post about getting fit before pregnancy. I’m not quite ready myself, but I’m getting close enough to the point where we want kids that my doctor has suggested getting into a regular exercise habit. However, I wish she would be more specific than that!

Tina January 17, 2012 at 10:22 pm

You should check out Healthy Tipping Point! She’s pregnant right now and staying active in preparation for her baby. I’m a zillion years away from getting pregnant!

Luv What You Do January 17, 2012 at 10:49 pm

You may have approached this subject, but it is fresh on my mind since I just returned from vaca.

How do you maintain your feel good weight on vacation? How to you remember that a few days with an extra cocktail or ice cream is OK sometimes? Or something like that?

Meg January 18, 2012 at 12:34 am

FGW Topic – How about how your FGW can change with time. Ex: maybe your FGW is different at 20 than it is at 30. Maybe different weight allows your body to do different things, i.e. when you run marathons it’s one weight and when you swim it’s another.

Also perhaps maintaining a FGW shouldn’t be so hard, perhaps it should be natural/intuitive.

Khushboo January 18, 2012 at 12:59 am

I love your posts with workout routines involving weights- would love to see more of those!

Karen January 18, 2012 at 1:36 am

Another idea Tina is support groups. With friends we have made a closed group on FB and it keeps us accountable to each other and encourages us to stay on track.

Tania @ The Health Macadamia January 18, 2012 at 8:26 am

What do you (or should you) do when your feel good weight differs from modern medicine strongly? For me, I’v lost 75 pounds and have another 50 to go before I’m “done” with the whole weight loss thing. The problem? While I think I’m happy at 180 (I looked good when I was there in high school, damnit!)….modern medicine still considers that overweight for my height and totally off the scale for BMI. But that’s where my body wants to be. How do I reconcile these things – especially when it comes to doctor appointments!

Monique Gagnon January 18, 2012 at 10:25 am

I won! and I emailed you yesterday, but didn’t hear anything back, so maybe it never got to you?? i’ll try again… i’d hate to miss out on that prize!!

Becca January 19, 2012 at 1:51 am

Tina, sorry a little late to the game here. I’d love to see a post about how to get those last few tummy buldge pounds to budge. I work out 5 to 6 days a week, strength train usually around 4 times. I push myself pretty hard at least two days a week. I’m currently training for a half marathon (my first!). No matter what though, it seems like that last little pocket of chub on my tummy won’t budge. Not the end of the world, but mildly infuriating.

Sarah January 19, 2012 at 1:52 am

My suggestion for topics:

-workouts you can do outside in the snow
    -what to do when the weather keeps you from the gym

Elizabeth January 19, 2012 at 9:32 am

My suggestion would be something like sleep and attitude related. For instance, having trouble sleeping with all of my silly little first world problems has really been effecting my appetite, and of course not sleeping isn’t good. So tips on like getting over everyday stresses in life to help you be healthier.

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie January 21, 2012 at 12:12 am

I would love to see more things about Boston!