• Bob Harper’s Smart Success Products

January 24, 2012

Hello!

Happy Tuesday!

Workout

Have you ever had one those days when you just NEED a good workout? Like, the only thing that could possibly make you feel better is getting your sweat on? Well, yesterday was one of those days for me. I needed a workout that was going to kick my butt (in a good way) and get me back on track both mentally and physically, so I was psyched to see the “Filthy Fifty” as the Workout of the Day.

WOD: “Filthy Fifty”

For time:

50 Box jump (24″)

50 Jumping pull-ups

50 Kettlebell swings (1 pood)

50 Walking Lunges

50 Knees to elbows

50 Push press (45)

50 Back extensions

50 Wall balls (20)

50 Burpees

50 Double unders

My goodness. I don’t think I will ever be the same after that workout. The Burpees, in particular, almost killed me. They were right after the Wall Balls, toward the end of the workout, so my whole body was exhausted by then. But, it felt great to sweat it out and push my body to its limit. The “Filthy Fifty” was exactly the type of workout I needed last night, and I left CrossFit feeling so much better than I did when I first walked through the door. Mission accomplished. (If you’re looking for explanations of any of the above exercises, you can find videos of them here.)

Dinner

Mal and I were superstars with meal planning this week. On a whim, we stopped by Trader Joe’s yesterday afternoon to do our grocery shopping for the week. Usually, we sit down and plan out our meals with the help of coupons, in-store sales, recipes, etc., but this week, we got it together in about 60 seconds while standing in the bread aisle of Trader Joe’s. I’m still impressed with us.

On the menu this week:

• Monday: Shrimp + Veggie Stir Fry
    • Tuesday: Steak with roasted broccoli + salad
    • Wednesday: Veggie Burgers + sweet potato fries
    • Thursday: Tuna + avocado sandwiches + salad
    • Friday: Out to dinner

Last night’s dinner was ridiculously quick and simple to throw together. I just opened a bag of frozen shrimp and a bag of frozen veggies, added a little olive oil and soy sauce to a large sauté pan, and heated everything until it defrosted.

023 (800x600)

And in no time at all, dinner was served: Shrimp + Veggie Stir Fry with nutritional yeast sprinkled on top.

027 (800x600)

After dinner, I enjoyed a couple of toasted Banana Walnut Paleo Muffins with butter melted on top. Mmm!

033 (800x600)

Fitness Tips from Bob Harper

As you know, I’m a huge fan of Bob Harper. I mean, it seems like he loves CrossFit as much as I do! But, I’m not sure how I feel about his newest endeavor, Smart Success, a new line of weight loss products that includes various supplements and a 7-day cleanse.

2012-01-24_0723

Smart Weight Loss is designed with a powerful key weight loss ingredient complex proven in not just one but two clinical studies, for real results. Just look at the amazing results Trish got when she combined my Smart Weight Loss with diet and exercise – imagine what it can do for you.

Hmm… I’m not so sure about your “new weight loss product,” Bob.

Bob Harper’s Smart Success line includes a DVD with him offering diet and motivational tips and a 30-minute workout, which sounds awesome, but the weight loss supplement/cleanse thing just rubs me the wrong way and sends a not-so-great message about healthy weight loss and maintenance.

What do you think of Bob Harper’s new Smart Success products?

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) January 24, 2012 at 10:29 am

Those Paleo muffins look awesome.. Have you posted the recipe? I’m enjoying the fact that you’re featuring my Paleo friendly recipes on the blog! I’m Un the midst of a Whole30 so I love hearing about new Paleo ideas. :)

Tina January 24, 2012 at 10:47 am

Yep! Just click on the link for it! :)

Jess January 24, 2012 at 10:31 am

I am in awe that you had to do 50 burpees. I did 10 (x2 for a circuit) the other day and was exhausted!

Andrea (@FrSeed2Stomach) January 24, 2012 at 10:40 am

I’m glad you called Bob out on this, Tina! Even the best, most nutritious supplements are only a small part of a very big picture. Personally, I think eating a whole foods, plant-based diet and exercising regularly are the way to go. No need for expensive powders, shakes, etc, unless you have some kind of medical need. BTW, I checked the ingredients and guess what the magic potion in this formula is? CAFFEINE! Even the B12 in the multivitamin isn’t bioavailable. Oh, and the cleanse is a natural laxative (senna) with some tumeric, acai, and papaya.

Erin January 24, 2012 at 10:46 am

Your CrossFit must be just a few days behind mine. We had the “Filthy Fifty” on Saturday, but I was out of town. I heard it was killer!

Also, I agree about Bob Harper. It’s so disappointing, especially when you see him helping people on TBL and then see him endorsing a “magic” pill. I know it’s to make more money, but it makes me sad.

Cat @Breakfast to Bed January 24, 2012 at 10:52 am

They’re freaking diet pills. Those are bad news bears.

Speaking of burpees, have you done LATERAL burpees? I thought I was going to die. Absolutely die.

Nicole @The Pug Diaries January 24, 2012 at 11:00 am

Jillian Michaels did the same thing! Except I believe her endorsement was a full blown diet pill. I think they sell out. Why? Because of the money? Who knows but it is always upsetting to see professional trainers promote products like those.

Zahra January 24, 2012 at 11:00 am

Can you do a post regarding if you’ve felt any better/other added effects of eating more paleo the last two weeks? Would love to hear if you’ve noticed any benefits..thanks!

Renee C. January 24, 2012 at 11:14 am

Are you doing full paleo now or still eating some grains? Seems like you are all paleo? Noticed any differences?

Tina January 24, 2012 at 11:24 am

I’m not doing Paleo! :)

Becky @ Fit Chick on the FLy January 24, 2012 at 11:21 am

Totally disappointed in Harpers move with the weight loss suplement. I guess the pay off was too irresistable for him.

I really need to jump on the cross fit band wagon but none of the crossfit’s in my area offer a class earlier than 6 am. I have absolutely no time to work out other than early early AM!

Hilary January 24, 2012 at 11:35 am

Yeah, I know what you mean. Jillian has the whole supplement thing going on too…I mean, party of me would like to try them to sort of kick start on losing the bit of weight I’ve put on (just being honest),but I agree, it does sort of send the wrong message…that working out and eating right aren’t enough, and that you can do better with these supplements..I always wonder with things like this, how will you keep the weight off once you’re not supplementing?

Ashley January 24, 2012 at 11:41 am

I just don’t get Bob. Isn’t he rich enough?! Why did he have to sell out like that. I love his DVD’s and always thought he promoted a healthy balanced lifestyle, but now I’m not so sure. Thumbs down!

Nicole January 24, 2012 at 11:56 am

The magic pill is food and exercise. I’m actually shocked that he’s pushing pills!

Laura January 24, 2012 at 11:58 am

We did Filthy Fifty a few weeks ago and I almost died. It took forever to complete. I will make it my biatch though.

I’m not a fan of Bob and Jillian doing weight loss “supplements.” They preach healthy eating and exercise but then turn around and put their faces on crap products. I’ve pretty much had it. Its all about making money.

Ellie@Fit for the Soul January 24, 2012 at 12:09 pm

AWesome!! that filthy 50 sounds great!!! So simple and can be done anywhere…I’m tempted to try it today, but I am uber sore from yesterday so not sure if that much intensity is wise today. And I think any product like that is a biiiiit suspicious. I just never like to endorse weight loss-type supplements. Protein powder, etc., I’m fine. But not those kinds since I’ve had my share of experiences and they can’t be good in the long run.

Charissa January 24, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Yah, I’m not crazy about him doing these either! It just seems a little odd to me…when he advocates a healthy lifestyle or diet being foods and exercise. This seems cheap of him.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 24, 2012 at 12:15 pm

That workout sounds killer! I don’t know if I would have made it through the whole thing! :P

Ugh, I’m not a fan of any sort of diet plan involving pills and cleanses. It’s not realistic OR healthy. And it sends out the wrong message. Weight loss takes work, it’s not something that can magically happen. It makes me sad when celebrity trainers endorse these kinds of products – they should know better!!!

Allison January 24, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I am entirely with you on the supplemental/cleansing shenanigans. I mean, I think that some cleanses can be beneficial (cleansing and restoring cells to their proper function to rid the body of waste and toxins if you’ve been especially rude to your body), but in all seriousness, health starts in the mind with a clear set goal on becoming fitter–body, mind, and soul. Which starts, in my opinion, with a healthy diet and a nicely built workout regimen. :) Cleansing has its pros and cons for me, but for beginners to healthy living, I think that just focusing on “health” without the use of severe restriction would be most beneficial…?

Karen @ Run Shop Travel January 24, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Your dinner looks good! I was always scared of cooking shrimp but finally tried the frozen stuff (love to throw it in a bowl of whole wheat noodles with broccoli, garlic, & olive oil!) and it’s so quick & easy!

About your Paleo talk/cooking lately – it seems a little confusing when you make a Paleo recipe then slather it with non-Paleo products…what are your intentions with this? Not trying to snarky just honestly curious; I am not Paleo, vegetarian, vegan etc etc but eat those ways or incorporate foods popular in those ways of eating often.

Tina January 24, 2012 at 12:38 pm

@Karen @ Run Shop Travel: Why would I need to have specific intentions when trying new recipes or foods? I’m not doing the Paleo diet. I’m just trying to eat healthier, which happens to include some Paleo recipes.

Lindsey January 24, 2012 at 8:14 pm

@Karen @ Run Shop Travel: just wanted to point out that butter is FINE on paleo :)

Olivia January 24, 2012 at 12:22 pm

I think weight loss pills/programs like that are fine for some people. It does say “combined with diet and exercise” and they do contain ingredients known to help weight loss.

The natural way? No.

A viable option for someone who already eats healthy and works out but still wants to lose a few more pounds? I think so.

Laura Dickerson January 24, 2012 at 12:34 pm

First of all, you inspired me to start Crossfit and THANK YOU! Today I had a WOD that I thought was going to kill me, but I can’t even imagine doing the Filthy Fifty. Mine was for time, 100m run followed by 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 deadlifts. I did 135 pounds (it was the first time I’ve deadlifted in my life) and I thought I was going to die. It feels SO good when you finish it, though!
    Anyway, in response to your question about Bob Harper, I side with you. I’m disappointed when I see celebrities like him and Jillian Michaels who have built their empire on true weight loss through sweat and tears, turn to supplements like this to make money.

Tina January 24, 2012 at 12:43 pm

@Laura Dickerson: Yay! I’m so glad you tried CrossFit! :)

Erica January 26, 2012 at 2:17 pm

@Laura Dickerson:

Your box had you deadlift 135# for time when you had never even deadlifted before??

Lauren @ Sassy Molassy January 24, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Tina, I know this could be time consuming, but I’d love if you could video tape some of these moves like… double unders, knees to elbows, kettlebell swings. I’ve never done crossfit and am curious about some of these moves.

Tina January 24, 2012 at 12:56 pm

@Lauren @ Sassy Molassy: Lucky you, CrossFit has already done this! http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/excercise.html I also link to this page when I talk about CF exercises on CNC! :)

Kristy January 24, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Hi Tina! I’m interested in adding some more Paleo (and gluten free) recipes to my repertoire (although I’m not planning on making a full shift either). Thanks for posting the recipes you are trying out. Quick question: do you find that you have to measure the alternative flours (e.g., almond flour, coconut flour) differently than regular flour? In other words, do you just lightly spoon it into the measuring cup like a typical recipe or do you need to pack these flours like you would with brown sugar? Gluten-free baking is still new to me :-) Thanks!

Tina January 24, 2012 at 1:04 pm

I just measure them the same way I do regular flours. It seems to work! :)

Angie @ Pint of Goals January 24, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I agree with most comments; it is unfortunate that he has jumped on the diet pill bandwagon. I felt the same way when Shape magazine stated including “advertisements” for Sensa in actual articles.

Robin @ The Balanced Life January 24, 2012 at 2:09 pm

Hi Tina,
    I agree with you that offering pills & a cleanse seems unnecessary and unlike the message that Bob would normally promote. Pills are unnecessary. Eat whole foods, and eat the right ones. That’s where lasting weight loss will come from.

Amber K January 24, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I’m always a little disappointed when I see celebrities hawking products in general. And when they sell unhealthy items or “quick fixes” I’m even more annoyed.

Ari @Ari's Menu January 24, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I totally agree! I love Bob, but when I first saw these commercials, I was totally put off. It just seems to go against everything he stands for, and it feels like a sell out.

Jessica January 24, 2012 at 3:59 pm

I think the supplements are legitimate when taken in conjunction with smart eating and exercise, but unfortunately many people will misinterpret it and just take the supplement only. Jillian made a line of supplements as well, and I don’t think they’re completely bogus, but they do need to be used smartly.

Traci B January 24, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Yesterday was definitely one of those days for me. I felt soooo much better after my yoglates class. I’m not very familiar with Crossfit. I learned about from your blog but looking at yesterday’s routine it has a lot of the same stuff we do in Yoglates we just do multiple sets & it’s not timed. I hate burpees!!

Caitlin January 24, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Is nutritional yeast the same as brewers yeast? Just went to Whole Foods to check it out and they have both.

Laura January 24, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Ugh. Pill diets scare me. :-( I have done the CLEAN cleanse though and followed it as prescribed (which includes taking vitamins, drinking filtered water, moving each day and meditating). I felt GREAT after the CLEANSE (which is basically a strict hypo-allergenic diet for 3 weeks) so I’m not opposed to cleanses in general, but whenever someone is schleping pills I always feel like “BUYER BEWARE.” I feel the same way about Daniel’s Diet and & Beach Body, which a lot of my Christian friends have been doing. I feel like they’re just selling pills! Blech!

kalee January 24, 2012 at 7:08 pm

I really don’t like his weight loss supplements. He has said over and over again it takes diet and exercise to achieve and maintain a healthy weight. This program sends the wrong message about health and goes against what he believes. A healthy body takes a lot more than a pill and 7 days…but we all know that! I just hope the mass public does too.

CJ @ http://healthy-happy-whole.com/ January 24, 2012 at 7:28 pm

I am so glad you posted these banana muffins! i have two very ripe bananas on my counter that are begging to be used in a baked good…

Skinny Fat Kid January 24, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Impressive that you meal planned at the store! I’m totally out of control when shopping unless I plan ahead.

Luv What You Do January 24, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Trader Joe’s shrimp stirfry is totally my go to dinner. I love the hodgepodge mix and always stash some in the freezer. Throw is some edamamae appetizer and Soy Vey Terkyoki and I am a happy camper!

cher January 25, 2012 at 8:29 pm

i feel the same way about his weight loss products. I saw it and thought, “OH NO, he sold out!!!!” I am such a fan of his and feel like he is a healthy person, so it was disappointing to see.

Sarah January 26, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Killer workout and those muffins look SO GOOD! I felt the same way when Jillian Michaels came out with a similar product last year I believe.

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop January 27, 2012 at 11:52 am

I was not too happy with Bob when I saw this either. I always liked how he encouraged doing everything the right way. Oh well!
    ~Ang

Megan @ Weddings and Workouts March 13, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I get so disappointed when I see well known trainers endorsing diet products :-( Especially when it goes against what they usually promote. Eg: there is no ‘quick fix’; this is a lifestyle change etc etc.