• Bob Harper on CrossFit, The Biggest Loser & His Last Meal on Earth

January 5, 2012

Awhile back, Quaker Oats invited me to participate in a conference call with Bob Harper along with a few other bloggers. The call was scheduled on the same day as the NASM Live Workshop, so I wasn’t able to attend, but Quaker folks kindly offered to coordinate a one-on-one email interview with Bob. Seriously, how cool is that?! Thank you, Quaker!

20100823_QUAKER_BOB_HARPER_DARK_BLUE_132_COMPRESSED

Without further ado, here’s my email interview with Bob Harper! I absolutely loved reading his responses! I hope you will, too!

What is your favorite way to exercise?

I have become obsessed with Crossfit.  It is my favorite way to work out.  It just makes so much sense to me and it also challenges me more than I have ever been challenged before.  My hands, on the other hand, really have suffered!!!

Which workout gives you and/or your clients the best results for building strength and burning fat?

When it comes to building strength and burning fat, that is the foundation of Crossfit.  You have got to find time for strength training AND get your cardio in to get the fat off and Crossfit really does combine those two things.

What workout/exercise do you think more people should be doing?

Haha…I feel like a broken record but CROSSFIT!!  Also I would encourage people to try something new when it pertains to working out.  If you have never tried yoga or spin classes, jump into a class the next time it fits in yours schedule.  It is all about trying different things.

What’s your best piece of advice for someone just starting out with exercise?

Don’t bite off more than you can chew.  Make one smart choice everyday and let that start to create a habit.

What’s the toughest workout you’ve ever done?

Easy….there is a workout in Crossfit called, FRAN and also SANTIAGO.  The worst workouts I have ever done in my life!!!

How much protein do you think the average active person needs in their diet?

Protein is crucial for muscle repair and building and it also keeps you satiated.  I recommend getting in AT LEAST half of your body weight in grams so if you weigh 150 lbs, get in 75 grams.

What’s your favorite vegetable recipe?

I love to roast Brussels sprouts in the oven with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.  I like to over do them because they get the texture of potatoes….YUM!!!

What’s a typical day of eating look like for you?

I get my protein and carbs earlier in the day and then by the afternoon I keep it “lean & green”.  Lean proteins and tons of veggies.

If it was your last day on earth, what meal would be your last?

Italian!!!  I want pizza & pasta….oh yeah and definitely chocolate cake.  I’m starving right now thinking about it.

What’s something about The Biggest Loser that most people don’t know?

People have no idea just how much effort goes into getting that kind of weight off a person.  My contestants work harder every single season and if the viewer could really see what is required of them on a daily basis, they would be in awe.  I sure am.

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed) January 5, 2012 at 4:31 pm

What a cool opportunity!! Love reading his answers. My last meal would be Thai Food and chocolate cake w/ ice cream! :)

dana January 5, 2012 at 4:34 pm

That’s awesome! I can’t afford a CF gym at the moment, so I’ve been trying to incorporate more HIIT in my workouts at my own gym. I bought an interval timer so that I can workout for time instead of reps. Youtube (and the internet in general) have been a great source for finding workouts. I think I’m lucky too that the owners of my gym are really into CF, so they’ve outfitted it with most of the equipment.

Chels R. January 5, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Wow! SO cool you got to interview Bob. He is such an inspiration.

Sounds like I need to try Crossfit!!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes January 5, 2012 at 4:44 pm

this is so cool! Love it :)

Mallory @ Have your cake January 5, 2012 at 4:46 pm

awesome!

Cait's Plate January 5, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Great read! Thanks for sharing :)

jen veak January 5, 2012 at 5:21 pm

He is awesome! I got my picture taken with him at Palmer Chiropractic College in Davenport Iowa…he was the keynote speaker…I am quite a chatty cathy, but the day I met him, I couldn’t utter a word…very sad :)

chelcie @ chelcie's food files January 5, 2012 at 5:29 pm

such a cool opportunity! i keep up with every season of the biggest loser, I loved reading all of his responses!

Erin January 5, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I love Bob! Super jealous that you got to “talk” to him! Great job on the questions, too! Now if only you’d asked “when would you like to meet up with me for a one-on-one Crossfit session?” :)

Macaroni and Cheesecake January 5, 2012 at 6:16 pm

SO Jealous you got to interview Bob!! I just love him!:) You asked him great questions too!

Never Too Old For Crossfit January 5, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Crossfit is the best way to workout for anyone from 5-95 as long as it is appropriately scaled!! Best I have ever felt!

SnazzyGina January 5, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Love that Bob has been bit by the crossfit bug. Such a great obsession to have. I’ve been doing crossfit for a little over a year now and I agree….it’s amazing. I’ve been an athlete my whole life and nothing has challenged me more than crossfit.
    And, I agree…FRAN is a b*$%#!!!

Ann January 5, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I am a fellow crossfitter & cavegirl (aka Paleo) & it has been the BEST thing I’ve ever done in my life. I was severly overwieght at 180lbs at 5ft. When I started Crossfit I could barely finish the “demo” workout to gage my fitness or lack of one & now a year later, I able to deadlift 275lbs & LOVE Oly lifting. I’ve never done 1 pullup in my life but thanks to X-fit I am able to do kipping pull ups!!! I am also taking the Level 1 certification training. Switching to the Paleo lifestyle has been the saving grace for me. I know how to eat now & understand that I can love food but that that I need to respect my body.

Kristin @ STUFT Mama January 5, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I freaking love Bob! What a great opportunity to talk to him over the phone. I got to do a live workout with him a couple of times and he’s so much fun in person too! :) He talks abotu the whole “lean and green” thing a lot. I should really start taking his advice. And he totally talks about Crossfit alot too (as you know). :) Fun Tina. And… just a side note. I’m loving your whole banana and PB in a mug thing. :) I just may have to copy that.

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 5, 2012 at 6:57 pm

What an awesome opportunity – thanks for posting this! Between what I’ve heard from you and now Bob, I’m definitely starting to think I should give Crossfit a try!

Emily @ Up and At 'Em January 5, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I am a huge Bob fan! Great questions too! I love that he is a big pizza fan too : )

Seems like CrossFit is something I am missing out on!

Michelle (Better with Berries) January 5, 2012 at 8:48 pm

I love Bob and loved reading his answers to your questions! Gosh, you and him are really making me want to try Crossfit! It seems like it makes so much sense and would be an awesome challenge. Plus I’d REALLY like to be able to do a pullup, and I think it would definitely help.

Samantha N. January 5, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Great interview! You have interviewed some amazing people!

thirstygreek January 5, 2012 at 10:11 pm

yikes a Vegan CF’er…dont let their HQ find out ;P

Cheryl January 5, 2012 at 10:25 pm

FRAN is so hard. ’nuff said.

I am ridiculously jealous of you right now. After a season of uncertainty, The Biggest Loser is back in my good books. I miss Jillian, though!

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter January 5, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Thank you SO much for posting this interview! I love Bob and reading his comments makes me love him even more. He inspires me to be better at having a healthy lifestyle. Thanks again Tina! :)

Katrina@Katrina Runs for Food January 5, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I have a video on my blog of Bob taking Jillian through a low level CF workout…and it KILLS her! That was another defining point that CF is not just another fad.

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine January 6, 2012 at 1:14 am

Such as interesting Q&A! Love it :)

My last meal would have to include pancakes, carrot cake, sweet potatoes, and peanut butter! Not all together of course, haha.

Heather January 6, 2012 at 9:15 am

aaahh how cool! I LOVE me some Bob. interesting to hear what his last meal would be! Thanks for sharing Tina!

Mac January 6, 2012 at 10:16 am

I love Bob Harper. I am slowly getting over the fact that Jillian is no longer there just because Bob has stuck around. :)

Diane @ Balanced Bites January 6, 2012 at 10:29 am

I like Bob, I’m psyched to see him embracing CrossFit as I love it too… and I’m pretty sure he pretty much eat a Paleo diet but is sort of stuck promoting Quaker Oats since he’s contracted to do so. If anyone is interested in more on quaker oats and how they aren’t as healthy as we think:

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables January 6, 2012 at 11:17 am

So cool! I feel like I really need to get the guts to try crossfit…

Ari @ Ari's Menu January 6, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Now I want to try crossfit even more!!!

Laura @ Unchartered 20s January 6, 2012 at 3:22 pm

So cool! I love Bob & have a bunch of his DVDs and love the Biggest Loser too! :D

KerriAnn January 6, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I can’t believe Bob Harper loves Crossfit! LOVE IT!

Jes Suazo January 11, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Such an amazing opportunity! This makes me want to try CrossFit even more now. I love watching him on the Biggest Loser. So motivating!

Stacy B. January 18, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Crossfit is amazing, and will change your life if you let it. Don’t be scared to try it out, the Crossfit community is amazing and completely welcoming. So do it! You won’t be sorry :)

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes January 31, 2012 at 3:35 pm

How lucky you are and those are great questions. I will sometime definitely try crossfit…when I’m up to it!

Lindsay May 4, 2012 at 6:58 am

I just caught up to this post and LOVED it. I watch TBL frequently whilst on the ellip, and it always inspires me to do just a little bit more. Now I need to try out a crossfit class!