• 8-Week Half Marathon Training Plan

January 24, 2012

Oh, how I love this weather. It’s 50 degrees and sunny in late-January! Remember this time last year? Blech. I’m not sure wintry weather gets any better than this!

Snack

I had a doctor’s appointment this morning, so I packed an apple in my purse just in case I got hungry on the drive home. I actually ended up getting hungry during my appointment, so I was happy to have a healthy snack with me.

Lunch

Back at home, I made some scrambled eggs with Trader Joe’s Fresh Salsa mixed in for lunch.

Yummm! This salsa is awesome! It’s so fresh and flavorful with a seriously spicy kick. I absolutely loved it. If you’re a salsa fan and shop at TJ’s, you need to try this stuff!

On the side: raw veggies + roasted garlic hummus.

Lunch was a little light on the protein, so I made myself a protein shake. In the mix:

Snack

A few hours later, I snacked on a KIND bar. CrossFit is on the agenda for tonight, so I needed a little something to keep me going. Plus, I just can’t exercise on an empty stomach.

My 8-Week Half Marathon Training Plan

With only 8 weeks until the Rock ‘N’ Roll USA Half Marathon and no real plan, I decided to look online for some CrossFit Endurance-inspired training programs. I actually didn’t have to look too hard because I stumbled upon Brian MacKenzie’s 12-Week CrossFit Endurance Advanced Training Program right away. His plan is intended for triathletes with a mix of Crossfit and sport-specific training, so I just used the running part as the basis of my 8-week plan.

2012-01-24_1419

With this training plan, my weekly workouts will typically include 4-5 days off CrossFit, 3 days of running (using the workouts above), and 1-2 rest days.

I’m not going to lie, I have no idea if this training plan is going to work or not. The longest distance that I will be running before the half is 9 miles along with two 7-milers (one this weekend with friends, which totally isn’t part of the plan, and one the week before the actual race). Of course, this is much less running than I’ve ever done in preparation for a half marathon, so this training plan could potentially be a big waste of time, and I could end up crashing and burning on race day. Although, this plan could help me get faster without getting injured, so then it would be the greatest thing ever. We shall see!

Elena January 25, 2012 at 12:06 am

That salsa looks yummy I’m going to go get some tomorrow.

Khushboo January 25, 2012 at 1:29 am

Woo I hope this plan works out for you, sounds intense but I know you will kick ass! Just out of curiosity, how will you be balancing the carbs and protein?? I’m wondering as running demands more carbs whereas cross-fit is more protein-focused!

Tina January 25, 2012 at 8:03 am

@Khushboo: I don’t really have any plans to change how I eat.

mel January 25, 2012 at 9:43 am

It looks like you already have! Protein heavy and not as many carbs. Not that theres anything wrong with that! I’m also trying to eat more protein and less carbs b/c I’m a carboholic!

Helene January 25, 2012 at 6:09 am

I’m sure the plan will work great- running over 9 miles at 10k pace is way harder than running 12 easy miles (in my opinion). The plan is low mileage but looks tough!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 25, 2012 at 7:55 am

Good luck with this plan! It’ll be interesting to see how it works out for you compared with your previous running-focused plans!

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous January 25, 2012 at 8:16 am

I love TJ salsa! So fresh!

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope January 25, 2012 at 8:25 am

That salsa looks good! I love the idea of adding it to eggs. Definitely looking for the next time I go to TJ! :)

Emily January 25, 2012 at 8:29 am

Can’t wait to hear about these workouts, I am looking forward to knowing if it works out!

Becky @ Fit Chick on the FLy January 25, 2012 at 8:31 am

We don’t have a TJ’s in South Florida but Publix has an AMAZING fresh salsa that I’m so obsessed with. It’s the perfect mixture of spicy, tangy, and a little bit of sweetness!

Kiera January 25, 2012 at 8:37 am

Great that you’re doing the Rock n’ Roll Half! I will be there for the full marathon–my first ever! It’s going to be an awesome day, and I’m sure Crossfit will be helpful preparation.

Tina January 25, 2012 at 9:04 am

@Kiera: How exciting! GOOD LUCK! :)

Life's a Bowl January 25, 2012 at 8:57 am

Good luck with the plan- hope it brings you race success! I always like thinking in chunks/ potions when it comes to my workouts… Just think, 9 miles is only 4 miles less than a half so you’re 2/3 of the way there!

P.S. TJ’s fresh salsa is a fab salad topper or dip!

kes January 25, 2012 at 9:23 am

Can you post what pace your planning for? the intervals

Tina January 25, 2012 at 10:48 am

I will when I post them! :)

Jordan@almondjay January 25, 2012 at 9:39 am

For my first half marathon ever the longest I had ever gone on a run was 9.5 miles and I finished the race strong so you will be just fine I am sure!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie January 25, 2012 at 9:45 am

This is my first real “winter” on the East Coast, and so far, I’m digging this 50 degree stuff ;)

Lauren January 25, 2012 at 9:48 am

I think you’ll totally kick ass and take names with that plan! The high intensity workouts will definitely prepare you for race day.

Dean Ouellette January 25, 2012 at 10:01 am

You are going to love it, CFE rocks. Just make sure you get all your strength workouts in, give good effort on the interval days and you are going to rock it! Good luck

Amanda January 25, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Yay!! Thanks for sharing your plan! It’s exactly what I was looking for! I’m excited to do it along with you. I have a half right after yours!

julia March 4, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I am 12 weeks out from my half…any advice as to how to extend this running program by 4 weeks? I am gonna do the CFE WOD 4-5xweek plus your program here! :) thanks!!!

Tina March 5, 2012 at 7:20 am

If you click on the link in this post to the original training plan, I think it’s 12 weeks or even 16 weeks. Hope that helps! :)

Stefanie January 3, 2013 at 9:10 am

How did this plan workout for you? we stumbled upon your blog and love it. we have 7 weeks and created a similar hybrid. Thanks for all your posts and info.

abby February 6, 2013 at 11:50 am

How did this training plan work for you? Would it be good for first-timers?

Dwayne November 11, 2013 at 7:40 pm

How did it workout for the half marathon?