• 5 X 800m

January 11, 2012

Yowsahs! That was a killer workout! I didn’t expect 800’s to be so challenging. It seems like a nice, friendly distance until you’re giving it your all on repeats and then it seems like it’s never, ever going to end! Friends, don’t let those 800’s trick you!

Workout

This afternoon, I hit the hotel gym to do my second CFE half marathon training workout, which was 5 X 800m, and, boy, did it kick my butt. I actually stopped to rest for a few seconds on the fourth 800m because I just couldn’t keep going. But, I didn’t let myself stop on the 5th one, so that was awesome. I mean, I was almost done with the workout at that point!

Here’s how the 5 X 800m went down on the treadmill:

2012-01-11_1811

I’m telling ya it was a tough one! I thought it was even more difficult than Monday’s super fast interval workout! FYI: The entire workout, including the 10-minute warm-up, took 45 minutes and covered approximately 4.5 miles.

Snack

After my workout, I grabbed a quick snack from a café across the street from my hotel: Fage Greek yogurt and a banana. Dinner isn’t until 8:00 tonight, so I definitely need a little something to hold me over until then.

And, because I’m weirdly obsessed with hotels, here are a few pics of my room:

I love the art!

IMG_0004 (600x800)IMG_0003 (600x800)

And the stand-up glass shower. I want one of these in my house!

And, of course, fancy bath products are always fun!

Off to meet Theodora for a cocktail!

Maryea (Happy Healthy Mama) January 11, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I love a good interval workout! Those will definitely make you faster. :-)

Angela @ Happy Fit Mama January 11, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Cool hotel room! Someone once told me to always look under the bed in hotels. I started doing that and found 2 cases of beer! It’s one of the first things I do now and have always found something(good and really bad). Have fun tonight!

Laura @ Running on Pie January 11, 2012 at 7:06 pm

That’s a nice hotel gym that has TVs on each monitor! The last hotel I stayed at had a 10′x10′ ish room crammed with a treadmill and a weight bench in it. Much nicer!

Erika @ The Teenage Taste January 11, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Oh my gosh, I hate 800′s with a passion! Those are my Track coaches favorite kind of interval – they’re so hard and so effective!

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 11, 2012 at 7:26 pm

those 800′s sure do sound intense!! great job! looks like a nice hotel – have a fun evening!

Heather @ Run Eat Play January 11, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Your warm up is like my sprint! Looks like an intense run – good job!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats January 11, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I love hotel rooms too, sadly I very rarely stay in them!

Kelly @ Vegolosophy January 11, 2012 at 7:40 pm

The hotel gym looks nice! The treadmills look very fancy-smacy :) I always love a good hotel gym, makes it easier to get a good workout in while away from home!

Jordan January 11, 2012 at 7:48 pm

That’s one of my favorite things about traveling: that moment when you open the door to your hotel room and you see it for the first time! Simply pleasures in life like this and new underwear make me smile :) I hope you’re having fun in NYC – I miss it!

Ed January 11, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Wicked hotel room…very stylish..

kathleen @ the daily crumb January 11, 2012 at 7:59 pm

i loooove tall glass showers. will definitely be in my dream home someday :)

that workout looks tough… good for you for sticking out the 5th! enjoy the night.

Tina January 11, 2012 at 10:23 pm

Mine too! I hope! I love tall glass showers!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga January 11, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Have fun with Theodora and I love the stainless/shiny bathroom tray and Kleenex holder. So fancy!

Alaina January 11, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Way to go on the awesome workout!! And I thought 400 meter repeats were killer!

And that bed? I want to faceplant into that. :-P

Tina January 11, 2012 at 10:21 pm

YES! I am faceplanting SOON! :)

KerriAnn January 11, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I have been thinking about doing the CFE stuff. And your right 800′s seem easy when looking at them on a piece of paper…. wonder what it feels like in real life?

jana January 11, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I love hotel gyms! I always feel more motivated and want to work out when traveling because a new gym sort of freshens up the norm! The bathroom of the hotel is gorgeous too, everything looks so nice!

Tina January 11, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Same here! I always feel that motivation at a new gym! :)

HRCK the Herald January 11, 2012 at 9:26 pm

800′s never seemed like a friendly distance to me! I remember dreeeeading them when they’d be on my HS Cross Country training schedule.

It does look like a pretty hotel! Enjoy!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio January 11, 2012 at 9:42 pm

what a posh hotel! Y’all have fun tonight and great job on your workout!

Jillian January 11, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Yikes… 800′s are brutal!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen January 11, 2012 at 10:14 pm

I loathe 800s. They are just NOT short enough to be considered intervals in my opinion! Nice job holding out an 8.0 pace for those!

April B January 11, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Great job on the 800s!

I think I’ve stayed there before – Sofitel? If not, looks just like their bathrooms…it’s a nice hotel! Love it there. Have fun in NYC!

Katie @ Plates and Paste January 11, 2012 at 10:29 pm

The bed looks super comfy!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 11, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I’m lazy, I stick to the same sneakers! What a great looking hotel! have fun!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 11, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Nice job on the 800s!! I bet that feels awesome to have worked so hard!

Cool hotel room–have fun tonight :)

Megan January 11, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Can you please share the name of some of the hotels you like in NYC? My DH and I are planning a trip in the spring and would love some recommendations. Your photos look awesome. Hope you enjoy your trip :)

Maureen January 11, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Glad I’m not the only one who takes pictures of hotel rooms! My husband always gives me disgusted look when I whip out the camera as I head into the hotel bathroom! :-D

michelle kim January 11, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I’m going on a trip to Reno in a couple of days. I should definitely try this workout while I’m there!

Khushboo January 11, 2012 at 11:31 pm

With a bed like that, how have you not dived in yet!

Lexi @ Cura Personalis Foodie January 12, 2012 at 12:13 am

We have a glass shower in our house! So pretty but not exactly conducive to privacy ;)

Emily @ The Swallow Flies January 12, 2012 at 12:14 am

I love staying in hotels – and that one looks GORGEOUS! Have a blast in NYC!

Gina January 12, 2012 at 12:27 am

I heard you were getting some comments about how your blog is changing with CrossFit posts and whatnot, but you know what..I don’t even CrossFit and I’m so much more interested in your blog now. I guess it’s because I lift weights too. Anyways, I hope this –your new topics/posts–sticks :) I’m so tempted to try CrossFit now

Corrie Anne January 12, 2012 at 12:55 am

I love your new running workouts. Those intense treamill runs are killer!!!! Can’t wait to try some!

chelsea January 12, 2012 at 1:01 am

Ohh! That workout is a must try! It looks/sounds super intense :) Way to keep up with your workouts even while out of town.

Peggi January 12, 2012 at 8:12 am

What a gorgeous hotel room!! I also love the awesome bathroom goodies. That gym was amazing! Good job on your 800′s. So is that .50 miles each 800m?

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon January 12, 2012 at 8:28 am

800 repeats was my least favorite workout in high school XC!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin January 12, 2012 at 8:28 am

Wow that workout sounds so tiring! I can only last for like 1-2 minutes at 8 mph. :P Nice job pushing through it!

Alycia January 12, 2012 at 8:46 am

I love the yellow walls! It makes the room look so inviting. And you’re right, nothing beats fancy hotel bath products. Thats the best part about going to a hotel!

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves January 12, 2012 at 9:25 am

Nice hotel! I’m so interested in your half training. I bet all the speed work is going to make you faster!

Caitlin January 12, 2012 at 1:09 pm

800′s are tough! Great job! I live on the treadmill since I’m not a fan of running in the cold :) so If you’re even looking for additional workouts I have a bunch on printable ones my website http://www.fitfabcities.com. BTW what a beautiful hotel!

Liz@EatSaveTravel January 13, 2012 at 1:44 pm

I love these new interval workouts! Now I don’t dread the treadmill so much when I am forced to bring my runs indoors. I did the first one and I couldnt believe my legs kept up with the 9.5 mph pace! But, the 800′s were even worse! Looking forward to more of these :)