• 1st Wedding Anniversary Recap: Part 4

December 2, 2011

Originally posted July 12, 2009

Today is officially our 1-year wedding anniversary! Happy anniversary to us!

I saved the best recap for last: wedding cake!

I absolutely loved our wedding cake! It had 4 layers, each with a different cake + frosting combination:

• Top layer: Carrot Cake (of course!)
    • 2nd layer: White cake with vanilla and mocha buttercream filling
    • 3rd layer: Chocolate cake with hazelnut buttercream and chocolate truffle filling
    • Bottom layer: Lemon-Strawberry cake combo

Mal and I didn’t smash cake into each other’s faces like some couples, but cutting the cake at our reception was really fun!

We didn’t arrive home from our trip until late tonight, but it didn’t stop me from digging into the top layer of our wedding cake. (We put it in the fridge to defrost over the weekend.)

In keeping with tradition, we froze the top layer of our wedding cake to eat on our 1st wedding anniversary.

IMG_3026.JPG

Mal’s step-mom wrapped it up good and tight last July 12th!

IMG_3029.JPG IMG_3030.JPG

After unwrapping the top layer, our wedding cake looked a little beat-up, especially after being wrapped a million times in plastic wrap and stored in our freezer for a year.

IMG_3034.JPG

Cutting our wedding cake for the second time! ;-)

IMG_3037.JPG

I was so worried that our cake would have freezer burn and taste bad, but it didn’t at all! It was SO GOOD!

IMG_3042.JPG

IMG_3044.JPG

The actual carrot cake was surprisingly soft and moist. Holy yum! :mrgreen:

IMG_3046.JPG

Mal and I each had a piece of cake and chatted about our first year of marriage. It was such a wonderful way to spend the last couple of hours of our anniversary.

IMG_3047.JPG

Bed time!

Jocelyn July 14, 2009 at 12:12 pm

Hey there! Is that a common tradition to save the top layer of your wedding cake?! It’s really sweet and your cake was simple but elegant and classy. i loved it : )

xo
    Jocelyn

Heather December 2, 2011 at 12:48 pm

We just celebrated our 2nd anniversary and unfroze our cake AGAIN. It still tasted amazing. I might cut it into pieces so I can defrost it and eat it whenever I want because it is AMAZING. We had vanilla cake with chocolate chip cannoli filling and buttercream frosting.

Congratulations!

Sarah@The Flying ONION December 2, 2011 at 1:07 pm

I love that you had carrot cake for your wedding! It’s so perfect and I’m sure the guests must have loved it. It’s one of my personal faves. :D

Such gorgeous pictures!! And what a special treat to be able to enjoy the top layer of the cake a year later. :D

Khushboo December 2, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Love the sentiment of saving the last tier! You guys make a lovely couple!

Erin December 2, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Smashing cake is one’s faces is the WORST “tradition” ever. I would have kicked my husband’s ass if he would have done that.

Sarah December 2, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Happy Anniversary Tina!

I was wondering, do you have any posts related to working out/exercising when you’re feeling sick? I recently was sick & although I’m still having some left over cold symptoms, I would love to get back to working out. Any helpful tips would be welcomed!

Thanks!

Tina December 2, 2011 at 3:43 pm
    Jen May 12, 2012 at 9:30 am

Your cake is beautiful!!! Do you happen to remember the dimensions??

Anne Marie Woodgate December 6, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Your cake is simple and gorgeous I would love to eat every layer of you cake the flavours sound so good :)