• Treadmill Workouts Galore

December 6, 2011

It’s that time of year again (in the Northeast): treadmill season! Here’s how to not die of boredom on the treadmill and a bunch of my favorite treadmill workouts. Happy running!

Treadmills

45-Minute Treadmill Workout

This is my favorite treadmill workout ever! Burn up to 450 calories walking or 550 calories running with this 45-minute treadmill workout from Jeanette Soloma at Crunch Fitness. You’ll mix up the inclines and speed to increase your heart rate and sculpt legs and butt.

45-Minute Treadmill Workout II

This workout was inspired by the one above, but it has faster running intervals. You’ll cover close to 5 miles in 45 minutes. It’s a good one!

Quick & Dirty Run

This workout is quick, dirty, and over before you know it! In 35 minutes, you’ll cover nearly 4 miles. Reduce speeds by 1.0 for a slower paced run.

Treadmill Step-Down Run

A 60-minute workout that is broken into 5 different time intervals, starting with a 20-minute interval and working your way down to a 5-minute interval. This workout makes an hour fly by!

3-Mile Challenge

Another favorite! When I am short on time, I challenge myself to run three miles (with breaks in between) as fast I can. I love trying to beat my previous time. If you’re not into running, a 3-mile Power Walking Challenge would also work!

Run (or Walk) Uphill

Two different interval workouts (one for walking, one for running) with increasing inclines. Each workout has a duration of 20 minutes and is easily customizable.

Track Workout 1

I turned an outdoor workout into an indoor (treadmill) workout. It starts with a 1/2 mile warm-up, followed by 6 X 400′s and then a cool down. My pace is based of my 5K time, so I covered 3.75 miles in about 34 minutes. For a longer workout option, Track Workout 4 is very similar, but covers 5 miles.

Combo Elliptical + Treadmill Workout

This 45-minute workout is a great way to mix things up. FYI: It’s easier to do when the gym isn’t as crowded since you’re switching machines.

Push It Run

This running workout includes a bunch of speedy intervals, but because it’s only 30 minutes, I’m able to push myself to keep up my pace until the end.

‘Roll’ Play

Get ready to play with rolling speeds! In this treadmill workout, the speed changes every two minutes, which keeps your interest and motivation high while running on the treadmill. I covered a little over 5.5 miles in 60 minutes. This workout can also be shortened to 30 minutes.

30-Minute Quickie

This is an awesome running workout when I am crunched for time! I’m always exhausted (and drenched in sweat) by the end! Here’s a similar variation with faster speeds: 30-Minute Quickie.

Not A Boring Treadmill Workout

This is one of my go-to workouts when I want to get in and out of the gym, but want to feel like I accomplished something at the same time. It keeps you guessing for a solid 45 minutes and before you know it, it’s over!

Speeding Up

This treadmill workout continuously pushes you to increase your speed. It starts with a steady warm-up and progresses into three stages of progressively faster intervals.

3′s and 5′s Challenge

I didn’t create this workout, but it’s one of my favorites because it’s really tough! It challenges you to sprint and run at a comfortably hard pace, but also allows you to recover so you can do it all over again. I’m always a sweaty mess by the end of it!

Sarah@The Flying ONION December 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm

For the past two years, I’ve been running outdoors, even through the winter. Through snow, rain, sleet, ice. And every year, I feel myself feeling more and more drawn towards using a treadmill…haha.

Candice @ Sailing on Paper December 6, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Thanks for sharing all of these in one place! It was so frosty outside today there’s no way I could have run outside.

Sarah S. December 6, 2011 at 1:06 pm

Thanks for these suggestions. I’ve been looking to switch things up a bit on the treadmill. Also, my husband just got back into working out and he would love these too.

Angela December 6, 2011 at 1:07 pm

These look great Tina! I’m more of a treadmill runner than an outside runner and lately I’ve been squeezing in some quick interval runs during my lunch hours at work. It’s amazing how much more energized I feel in the afternoon!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 6, 2011 at 1:09 pm

If I don’t have something interesting to listen to, I think I contemplate suicide or fattening at mile 3.

Allison December 6, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I totes am in need of a change-up from the typical treadmill run, it’s like you read my mind… This is AWESOME! Thanks :D

kaitlin @4loveofcarrots December 6, 2011 at 1:10 pm

These are great! I’m def in a treadmill rut these days!

Laura @ My Pink Thumb December 6, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Now I really want my own treadmill!! ;)

Ellie@fitforthesoul December 6, 2011 at 1:15 pm

That first one looks intense!!! Wowww, I can already see how I’d love it and die from the crazy run haha.

Hope December 6, 2011 at 1:22 pm

These are great ideas! I wish I had a treadmill at my house. It would make working out so much easier. :)

Tina December 6, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Me too!

Brianne December 6, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Hi Tina!

Thanks for the stockpile of workouts! :) My question is this: at my gym, the only way to change the speed on the treadmill is to manually push the arrow up or down manually. I am unable to set a length of time for each speed. Is this simply because my treadmill is an old hunk ‘o junk or am I missing something. The reason I ask is because I find it difficult to be pressing the button a million times while I am sprinting on the mill.

Thanks for the information :)

Tina December 6, 2011 at 2:03 pm

I think it depends on the treadmill. I just use the up and down arrows to change speeds.

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 6, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Planning on doing a treadmill workout today actually – this post was perfect timing to give me some ideas of one to do! The “Not A Boring Treadmill Workout” is one of my favorites!

Jen December 6, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Yesterday I compiled a HUGE collection of treadmill workouts- including I think about 10 of yours! Great minds must think alike :)

RunEatRepeat December 6, 2011 at 1:29 pm

It’s not treadmill season, it’s move to California season…

Corrie Anne December 6, 2011 at 1:46 pm

@RunEatRepeat: EXACTLY!

Tina December 6, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Sadly, it’s not an option for me. I think Mal and Murphy would be pretty upset if I moved across the country!

Christina @ Just Running December 6, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Treadmill season? I think I would go crazy if I ever had to run more than an hour on a treadmill. Bring on the snow and ice! That’s nice you put together TM workouts for people who can’t or choose not to make it outside.

Corrie Anne December 6, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I love it. I’m a huge fan of the 3′s and 5′s workout. I’ve tried it a few times, and it’s TOUGH!!!!!!!!

Lisa December 6, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Thanks so much for posting these! I am stuck on the treadmill these days and feel like I’m dying of boredom!! It’s amazing how a 5 mile outdoor run goes by so much faster than a treadmill one. Can’t wait to use one of your workouts tomorrow morning!

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous December 6, 2011 at 1:56 pm

What a great resource! I get so bored on the treadmill!

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 6, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I love having them in one place!! Rock on! I love the treadmill :)

Stacy @ Say It With Sprinkles December 6, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I actually don’t mind the treadmill at all, especially when it means avoiding icey temps outside, haha! These are great workout ideas, thanks, Tina!

Parita @ myinnershakti December 6, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Thanks for posting these. I’ve been looking for ways to change up my treadmill routine and now I have a few. :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen December 6, 2011 at 2:23 pm

This post is awesome! I knew you had a ton of treadmill workouts on here but this is perfect for finding them all in one place. I will run through any kind of cold weather to avoid the treadmill but when the snow and ice forces me inside these are great!

Katie @ Peace Love and Oats December 6, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I’ll definitely have to try these out! We’ve certainly hit treadmill season here in Chicago!

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop December 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Perfect timing! I have a new apartment at school and don’t know the neighborhood so I jumped on the treadmill at the fitness center and just wanted to die. Longest. 3 miles. Ever. There isn’t even a TV or windows in there! Just you, the hum of the treadmill, and your reflection. Thank goodness I have Pandora on my phone or there would have been trouble!
    ~Ang

Heather @ Run Eat Play December 6, 2011 at 3:00 pm

During the winter I only run on a treadmill, so Im looking forward to trying out some of these workouts! Thanks!

Lisa December 6, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Hi Tina I just want you to know that you really motivated me today! I was getting ready to take a nap (Yes, at 2 pm) and I checked your blog and saw this post. I thought “No way, No nap for me today!” I got on the treadmill and am now a sweaty mess! Thanks!!

Tina December 6, 2011 at 3:14 pm

@Lisa: Woohoo! That’s what I love to hear! :)

LIsa (bakebikeblog) December 6, 2011 at 3:14 pm

great links – thanks for sharing!!!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 6, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Ooh I like the sound of the track workout! I almost always do speed intervals when on the cardio equipment but distance intervals could be a fun way to change up the routine!!

Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio December 6, 2011 at 3:57 pm

These are great! Cant wait to share them with my co-worker.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes December 6, 2011 at 4:01 pm

So bookmarked this! Love it :)

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food December 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Love this!! I always dread treadmill season, but I hope that trying a lot of these will keep my boredom from creeping in!

Miriam December 6, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Awesome list. Overall, by changing pace and elevation every couple of minutes or so while running on a treadmill, workout really feel shorter, more fun and at the end, more beneficial to improve both cardio and shape… :)

Anne @ Baking Me December 6, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I always struggle with what to do on the treadmill and I get super board, so I am really looking forward to trying out some of these workouts! Thanks!

Catherine December 6, 2011 at 5:10 pm

You MADE my day!!! I am an avid outdoor runner – did 5 miles in 32 degrees this morning and loved it. But once the snow and ice cover the roads, I am forced inside and dread every single minute of it. I am so excited to try out all of your workouts – they will make the next couple of snowy, icy, cold months fly by! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

melissa December 6, 2011 at 5:21 pm

thanks for the shoutout! I do your treadmill creations often too!

Shana December 6, 2011 at 6:07 pm

This is such a great resource! I am bookmarking this post! Personally, I LOVE the treadmill and sort of dread running outside. I wish I was more motivated to get outside more often!

Jules December 6, 2011 at 6:54 pm

This is super helpful- thanks so much! I think I’ll print out all the links and laminate them on index cards. (Can you tell I’m a teacher?) On days when I don’t feel like working out, I’ll pick one card at random and do that workout. Thanks from cold and snowy Michigan!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 6, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Thank you for this! I’ve been getting so bored of just doing steady state runs – these are exactly what I need! :D

Nikki December 6, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Ahh this will definitely help! I get SO bored with the treamill after time!

Khushboo December 7, 2011 at 12:35 am

Perfect time to read this post- I’m slowly burning out with the treadmill but I think this will help shake things up…reignite the spark in our relationship ;)!

Liz December 7, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Thanks for posting this! Because of less daylight hours, I have to use the treadmill a lot in the winter, and I’m always looking for new ways to stay motivated.

Jill December 8, 2011 at 9:44 am

Muscle and Fitness Hers is copying you! They just posted their own treadmill workout article…yours look more fun :)