• WOD: The Dirty Dozen

December 13, 2011

Good morning, friends!

CrossFit was so fun last night! We did “The Dirty Dozen” and the workout flew by!

IMG_0002 (600x800) (2)

The Dirty Dozen is a common CrossFit “benchmark” workout that many gyms use to monitor progress as you get stronger, fitter, and faster. The Dirty Dozen is a timed workout, so down the road when we do it again, I’ll be able to see if I improved.

WOD: “The Dirty Dozen”

For time:
    25 Walking lunges
    20 Pull-ups
    50 Box jumps, 20″ box
    20 Double-unders
    25 Ring dips
    20 Knees to elbows
    30 Kettlebell swings, 2 pood
    30 Abmat Sit-ups
    20 Front squats
    25 Back extensions
    30 Wallballs, 20 pound ball
    3 Rope climb ascents

There were a few moves that I wasn’t strong enough to do, so our coaches provided various substitutions and modifications. For instance, Knees to Elbows just wasn’t happening for me. I barely did one the correct way, so there was no way I was cranking out 20 of them in a row. Instead, I did knee lifts, which I still thought were pretty challenging. I also did band-assisted ring dips and three sets of 7 chin-ups instead of 3 rope climbs. (I got about 4-feet off the ground when I attempted the rope climb. Derp.)

Once we finished The Dirty Dozen, we recorded our time. It took me 19:20 to finish the workout.

IMG_0001 (800x600) (2)

The “L1” next to my name means that the workout was done with some Level 1 modifications (as I mentioned above). The “Rx” next to other people’s names means the workout was done as written/prescribed with no modifications.

Good stuff. I’m a big fan of CrossFit.

Dinner

After CrossFit, Mal and I headed home to make dinner. For some reason, we thought it wouldn’t take that long to cook a whole chicken. Um, yea. We didn’t eat dinner until 9:30 last night.

IMG_0026-2 (800x600)

On the menu: Roast Chicken with Roasted Onions, Peppers, and Tomatoes. It turned out really well, but, man, it took forever to cook— quite a bit longer than the directions said it would.

IMG_0016-2 (800x600)IMG_0018-2 (800x600)

While I waited for dinner to cook, Murphy and I did a pug photo-shoot in the kitchen. Check out his “Blue Steel.” Fierce, right?

IMG_0019-2 (600x800)IMG_0020-2 (600x800)IMG_0025-2 (600x800)

Murphy sat there for awhile and let me snap photos of him, but, eventually, he started to look annoyed.

IMG_0024-2 (800x600)

Mom, this is stupid. Why don’t you check to see if the chicken is done?

IMG_0021-2 (600x800)IMG_0022-2 (600x800)

I ended up adding the roast chicken and veggies to a big salad, which I topped with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Delish.

IMG_0044-2 (800x600)

After dinner, I ate a zillion cookies!

IMG_0043-2 (800x600)

Just kidding. I ate one. The blog is called Carrots ‘N’ Cake after all!

IMG_0038-2 (800x600)

Breakfast

You know how I’ve been on a quest to find the best way to cook steel cut oats? I tried the microwave method and the soaking overnight method, which both worked fine, but weren’t ideal. After seeing my steel cut oats post, my friend Beth emailed me to share her method for cooking them:

The ratio is always 1/4 cup oats to 1 cup water, and I make them the night before to make it easier. However many servings you are making, add the right amount of oats and water to a pan, bring it to a boil for about 2 minutes, then cover it, remove it from the heat, and leave it out overnight. In the morning, stir it up, and all you need to do is heat it and eat it!

Genius! This method requires a little bit of foresight, but Beth said she’ll often make 2-4 servings on Sunday and then just reheat the leftovers throughout the week. This method works great—the best so far!

IMG_0048-2 (800x600)

When I reheated my oatmeal this morning, I stirred in some cranberries, cinnamon, and chia seeds, and then added a big scoop of peanut butter.

IMG_0050-2 (800x600)IMG_0054-2 (600x800)

I also drank a glass of iced coffee with soy milk.

IMG_0052-2 (800x600)

While eating breakfast this morning, Mal and I talked about finishing our Christmas shopping this weekend. Surprisingly, we got a head start on it this year. Usually, we wait until the last-minute to do it.

As we were chatting, our conversation moved onto the best gifts we’ve ever received. I said my engagement ring (obviously), the scrapbook Mal gave me for my 30th birthday, and the GPS app he bought me for my iPhone. (I have the worse sense of direction, so I use it ALL of the time.) Mal initially said the best gift he ever received was his XBOX, which he said half-joking, but then he decided on the trip to Paris that his parents gave us when we finished our masters’ programs. THAT was an awesome gift!!

My Dr. Oz Debut

Remember the time I was on The Dr. Oz Show? Well, the episode is airing next Monday, December 19th! I hope you decide to tune in. You KNOW I’ll be DVR-ing it!

IMG_0002-800x6003

mypressi TWIST Espresso Machine Giveaway

Thanks to everyone who entered to win the mypressi TWIST Espresso Machine! How cool is that thing?! Here’s your winner:

Louise

I looove coffee! Just today, after a trip to Starbucks, I was telling my husband how I wished I could make my own Espresso and fancy coffee drinks at home with my own Espresso-maker. This cool Espresso-maker would totally make my wishes come true this year!

Congrats, Louise! Please email me at tina@carrotsncake.com with your full name and mailing address to claim your prize!

If you didn’t win the mypressi TWIST, but still want to purchase it for yourself or as a gift for someone else, it’s 30% off today through OpenSky!

What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?

P.S. Check out this super cute pug pic that Kelly sent me!

Whitney December 13, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I’ve gotten a lot of cool gifts over the years, but I have to agree that my engagement ring was pretty sweet. A close 2nd is a roadbike that my fiance got me… for no particular event, but “because we should be riding together.” Dawww.

Mary @ Bites and Bliss December 13, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Dannng that’s definitely a way to get fit quick!

Brandi @ Fitness Faith and Laughter December 13, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Yay! Going to set my DVR tonight! :) As far as gifts go it would probably be my standing mixer. Love that thing! I also love Murphy pics…:)

Andrea (@FrSeed2Stomach) December 13, 2011 at 12:17 pm

I had steel cut oats this morning, too. :-) I soaked them overnight and strained and rinsed them a couple of times, adding fresh water. They simmered for a while this morning with raisins then I added some unsweetened cocoa powder, a banana, some raspberries, walnuts, almond butter, chia seeds and flax meal. It was the first time I tried cocoa and it was yummy!

nicole@winewalking.blogspot.com/ December 13, 2011 at 12:22 pm

I love getting something that I would rarely buy for myself – a fancy manicure or facial. Its so nice to have something to look forward to after the craziness of the holiday season.

Angela @ The Chicken Scoop December 13, 2011 at 12:47 pm

This post is so jam packed, I don’t know what to comment on! How about I just thank you to your friend for the steel cut oats cooking directions! I made some this morning and was pretty annoyed with my electric stove (oh how I miss home with its gas stove!). I will be trying this tactic tonight!
    ~Ang

Brittnie (A Joy Renewed) December 13, 2011 at 12:51 pm

A trip to Paris…. wow that is awesome! Your dinner looks good. You are more patient than me though. I probably would have given in and had something else and saved the chicken for the next night. :)

My best gift will be this Christmas… finding out if our baby is a boy or girl on 12/23. Can’t wait!

Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 13, 2011 at 12:52 pm

Ah! You’ll be on Dr Oz! I’m a fan. Duh I’ll be watching.

Murphy is such a muffin.

Corrie Anne December 13, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I received an espresso machine for my wedding!! I love that thing. I’ve barely gotten to use it since we’ve moved three times in the last few months. It’s not exactly the first thing to make it out of the box. I love reading about your crossfit experiences. I mentioned to my husband at least once a week that I want to try it. We probably need to wait a few months till we are out of this gym contract because we can’t exactly afford double gym.

Sarah (I Dream of Beets) December 13, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I’m not much of a gift person, but my boyfriend just gave me the Canon Rebel, which I’ve been eyeing for 3 years and with which I JUST started my own blog. It was really sweet and truly surprising. As a gift to myself, I signed up for the CrossFit classes starting in January in my town. I’m so excited!

Nicola December 13, 2011 at 1:36 pm

I’m hoping my best gift is yet to come…my Pug (Eeeeeek!)
    On a separate note I have started freezing my cookie dough in perfect cookie size balls so that I don’t have to bake them (and therefore scoff them) all I once. I bake as many as I want, when I want. Its a good system and the best bit is homemade cookies are only ever 18 mins away!

Leigh December 13, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I took an intro to crossfit class in November and just signed up for 3 months. I love it so far! Everyone is so nice and encouraging and it’s a challenge for me for every class I go to. Can’t wait to read more about your crossfit experiences :)

Hope December 13, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Despite the fact that the chicken took a long time to cook, your salad looks delicious! I love roasted chicken. I will definitely dvr that episode of Dr. Oz when I get home! :)

The best gift I ever recieved was my engagement ring!

Kristabel December 13, 2011 at 2:01 pm

My heart necklace from my parents, never taken it off!

Ellie@fitforthesoul December 13, 2011 at 2:17 pm

OooO that looks like an awesome workout!! And hopefully I can see you on the show while at the gym :)

honeywhatscooking December 13, 2011 at 2:32 pm

murphy is so funny.. he makes me laugh all the time. that trip to paris was so generous… of course it has to be the best gift. the best gift i received was a ‘promise ring’ from my now-husband on Christmas Eve one year. :-) Hope this qualifies.

Wendy Irene December 13, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Can’t wait to watch you on Dr. Oz!!! Put it on the calendar :)

Liz December 13, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I don’t know if I can pick just one best gift – I’ve received some very cool gifts in my 29 years ;) A few favorites include a cross necklace for the Christmas right after my great grandma died (we were majorly close), a Kitchenaid bowl lift stand mixer (a joint gift from my mom & myself), a Kitchenaid food processor and a Seiko R-Wave alarm/clock for my college graduation :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 13, 2011 at 3:47 pm

That is one killer workout!!!

KaraHadley December 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm

CrossFit seems so crazy fun. And I’ll be home from college on the 19th, so I’ll have a TV to watch you on.

Zanna December 13, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Thought you would like this review of CrossFit. I believe one’s experience varies but it’s good information to know…

Jes Suazo December 13, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I’ve been wanting to start CrossFit! I am currently doing a Power 90 challenge (one week 2) but maybe when I finish I can give it a try.

Keep up the good work!

Amber K December 14, 2011 at 12:22 am

Can’t wait to see you on Dr. Oz! So cool that you got to meet him :)

Angie December 14, 2011 at 4:34 am

I will definitely be watching Dr. Oz! I DVR it every day since I have no life.. err I mean to say that I am currently between jobs & may as well educate myself on health matters with shows like Dr. Oz & the Doctors on a daily basis.

Looking forward to it!!

Chris December 14, 2011 at 7:31 am

Here is my all time favourite roast chicken recipe: http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/best-ever-roast-chicken.aspx

1 hour to deliciousness! Love your blog!

jenny December 16, 2011 at 11:00 pm

i just scrolled thru this thing it seemed nice i guess whatever

jenny December 16, 2011 at 11:03 pm

these recipes look delicious yummmy hahahaha im going to go make something right now yayyy thamks soooo much