• Ski Day at Mount Baker

December 30, 2011

Mal was so excited about snowboarding today, he didn’t sleep all that much last night. In fact, he woke up at 5:00 AM and then woke me up to tell me just how excited he was—even though we didn’t need to wake up for another 1.5 hours. Isn’t he sweet? (The whole thing was actually pretty cute. Mal was like a kid on Christmas morning!)

Breakfast

We planned to hit the road to Mount Baker by 7:00 AM, so once we were packed and ready to go, we stopped by Starbucks to grab breakfast. I ordered the Perfect Oatmeal—my favorite! To it, I added sliced banana, the “nut medley,” and about half of the package of dried fruit that came with it. I also ordered a latte made with soy milk. This breakfast kept me satisfied, no problem, until lunchtime about 5 hours later.

About an hour later, we arrived at Mount Baker, which, surprisingly, during vacation week, wasn’t crowded at all. Woohoo!

Skiing at Mount Baker was totally different than anything I’ve ever experienced on the East coast.

First and foremost, there was a ton of snow! Most years, skiing on the East coast involves manufactured snow over ice , so it was really neat (and challenging) to have thick, fluffy snow to ski on. It took me several runs to get used to the snow (I fell a bunch of times), but it never hurt since my landing was on soft snow. It was actually kind of fun.

Another difference that I noticed was all of the trees on the mountain. On the East coast, there are trees here and there, but not like what I saw at Baker. The trails were covered with them.

A day at Mount Baker was also quite a bit more affordable than what I’ve previously experienced out East. For instance, a full day pass at Baker was $52 versus $80-90 on the East coast. The ski rentals and food at the lodge were considerably cheaper too. Basically, I got more for my money today.

Oh, and (how could I forget?!) the scenery was absolutely gorgeous at Mount Baker! I’ve never seen such beautiful views while skiing.

Lunch

Around noon, we headed inside the lodge for some lunch, which, of course, included some beer. I swear, ski-beers taste better than regular beers.

To eat, I had chili with cheddar cheese and chives in a bread bowl. I wasn’t expecting much from cafeteria/ski lodge food, but this chili was actually really delicious— super chunky and flavorful.

After lunch, I skied for about an hour and then called it quits for the day. Everyone else stayed out on the mountain until the chairs closed, but I was tired and cold, so I decided to hangout in the lodge instead.

Dinner

A little while later, we all met at the car, packed up, and started our drive back to Seattle. We stopped at Graham’s for an early dinner and a drink.

IMG_0096 (600x800)IMG_0097 (600x800)

Mal and I weren’t all that hungry, so we shared a garden salad with balsamic vinaigrette on the side.

Sweet potato fries and roast beef sliders.

IMG_0104 (800x600)IMG_0105 (800x600)

After dinner, we stopped by a gas station and grabbed some treats for the remainder of the ride.

Now, we’re at Sib and Coleman’s house relaxing, eating truffle popcorn, and watching a movie. Ahhh…

After two days of eating, drinking, and being merry, I am so ready for a detox. I have a feeling tomorrow will be much more low-key (and healthy!) with regard to activities and food + beverage choices.

Good night!

Cait December 30, 2011 at 2:39 pm

okay, so something in this post helped me more than you will ever know! lol you are probably really confused, but know that it helped me :) thanks!

Laura December 30, 2011 at 2:40 pm

SO jealous you’re out West! My BF would be the same way — like a kid on Christmas. We’ve thought about heading West too because there just isn’t enough snow up North! I’ve heard great things about Mt Baker.

Have fun!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 30, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Are there not evergreen trees on the east coast???

Tina December 30, 2011 at 3:52 pm

There’s lots, but just not on the ski mountain trails!

Lisa (bakebikeblog) December 30, 2011 at 5:15 pm

ooooh what fun!

Sherice Potter December 30, 2011 at 5:31 pm

I’m so glad you enjoyed my state!! Washington State is beautiful.. you should check out the San Juan Islands someday!! I’m living in Spokane now but I grew up there and it is gorgeous!! you can kayak with the whales and have the freshest seafood!!

kristen @ verbs and vignettes December 30, 2011 at 6:46 pm

totally worth the indulgence sometimes, especially around the holidays. the follow-up light days always balance it right back out. :-)

skiing sounds like a great time, even though i would have gladly spent the entire day in the lodge, like… with a book and a hot chocolate.

Stephanie @ Ultra Ambitious December 30, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Skiing out West is so much more fun then the East coast! Thanks so much for answering my email earlier about the NASM apps, they were definitely worth it :) Enjoy the rest of your vacation!

Tina December 30, 2011 at 7:29 pm

You’re welcome! A lot of the exam questions are like those on the apps.

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness December 30, 2011 at 8:34 pm

The mountain views are insane!!! I love the pictures! And that chili?! YUMMM!!!

K8 December 30, 2011 at 8:45 pm

So happy you loved Mt Baker! That’s my home Mt. and I feel very lucky!

Cat @Breakfast to Bed December 30, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I NEED a week of raw veg, water, protein, rice, and probably wine.

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 30, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Sounds like a fun day!! And I think we could all use a little detox!

SkinnyRunner December 30, 2011 at 8:55 pm

my family used and half still lives in bellingham; my little brother used to work as a liftee at baker and we’d get season passes there. small world.

Christy December 30, 2011 at 9:15 pm

I sometimes forget how lucky we are out West. Do you really pay 90 bucks for snow over ice? I’m SO sorry! Here in N. California we haven’t had much snow yet, but as soon as we get a little I’m going to be on the slopes. Glad you liked your visit out here.

Ingunn December 30, 2011 at 11:57 pm

You should see the views on a clear day when Mount Baker and Shuksan are out. Amazing!!

Khushboo December 31, 2011 at 12:00 am

I love the bread bowl- totally novel concept to me!

Jessica December 31, 2011 at 12:25 am

You are in my neck of the woods! Looks like you had a great day of skiing!

diana@mymarblerye December 31, 2011 at 9:33 am

i still have to try snowboarding…my husband loves it. BTW in the first pic I thought Mal was pulling a lieutenant Dan!! his pants blend into the covers!

Tina December 31, 2011 at 9:36 am

LOL!

Liz January 1, 2012 at 9:20 pm

Looks like a great time Tina! Its okay to splurge… compare your splurge moments to healthy moments and I think the Healthy will win! :)

Cheryl January 1, 2012 at 11:27 pm

You are so right! There’s nothing like the powder-soft snow of the Pacific Northwest!