• Seattle Morning

December 28, 2011

Hi, friends!

I woke up to the fuzzy face of a cutie-pie Golden Retriever this morning. Brody is the sweetest pup!

Once we got out of bed, Mal and I took a quick trip to Caffe Ladro for iced coffees. The last time we were in Seattle a few years ago, we fell in love with their coffee, so it was a priority to visit this morning.

I added soy milk to my iced coffee. The coffee at Caffe Ladro is so flavorful and strong. Love it!

For breakfast, we had eggs, toast, and fruit.

The toast, in particular, was killer good! The Powerseed variety that I ate this morning had 6g of protein and 6g of fiber in one slice– and it’s really delicious.

Off to Mount Baker!

P.S. We went to dinner at Tamarind Tree last night and it was fantastic. My photos didn’t come out because of the dim lighting, but if you like Vietnamese food, definitely go there. I highly recommend it!

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats December 28, 2011 at 12:54 pm

I love finding great local coffee places!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat December 28, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Mmm I could go for a big iced coffee right now. Enjoy!

Ashley @ coffee cake and cardio December 28, 2011 at 1:08 pm

It’s so fun finding unique coffee shops!

jodie December 28, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I love Seattle and a good cup of joe. Have a great week.

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga December 28, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Glad you savored a nice, STRONG, coffee…I could use one. Or two…after traveling home and some jet lag.

Cait's Plate December 28, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I really need to go to Seattle more often! I’ve only been once and I was too young to appreciate it!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey December 28, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Love trying out coffee in new places – especially in Seattle!

katie @ KatieDid December 28, 2011 at 1:34 pm

Hope you’re having fun in Seattle, I’d love to visit that city someday it seems like a lot of fun.

Sarah December 28, 2011 at 2:47 pm

@katie @ KatieDid: Yes! Come visit Seattle someday. I love it here, well… except for the rain!

Tina December 28, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I love Seattle, too! It’s one of my favorite cities!

Liz December 28, 2011 at 11:50 pm

@Tina:
    I would LOVE to move there someday – I’m all over the weather in the Northwest :)

Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries December 28, 2011 at 1:39 pm

i’m interested in trying that Dave’s Killer Bread after hearing the nutrition stats and hearing about how good it tastes! have fun on the mountain today!

Jessica December 28, 2011 at 2:09 pm

LOVE the packaging on that bread. “So no to bread on drugs” ? Awesome. Wish I could find it in my area!

Tina December 28, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Me too! I think you can order it online though!

Emily December 28, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Hi Tina! I live in Seattle, so it’s great to see you’re making the most of your trip and going to the Mt.! What did you have at Tamarind Tree?

Tina December 28, 2011 at 2:17 pm

We shared a bunch of apps and dishes among the table and everything was delicious!

Sarah December 28, 2011 at 2:45 pm

@Tina: I also live in Seattle, and love Tamarind Tree. :) Also recommend Green Leaf in the ID… and last, but not least, I tried a place on Aurora Ave N (totally off the beaten path) and was pleasantly surprised by the hole-in-the-wall Mekong Village. Have fun at Mt. Baker!

Tina December 28, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Thanks for the recs! :)

Allison December 28, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Small, local coffee places are always so alluring! The baristas always seem so down to earth and have the best recommendations :)

P.S. Arnold’s new “Health-full” breads are filled with protein, fiber, etc. and taste really good! My fiance is hooked and only asks me to buy that brand now :P

Rebeka December 28, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Cafe Ladro in West Seattle is delicious :)

I hope you guys have a wonderful Seattle day!

Khushboo December 28, 2011 at 2:58 pm

This just reminded me that I forgot to have my iced coffee today- oh boy am I excited about tomorrow morning :)

Marissa December 28, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Welcome to the rain! I guess the good news that should mean its dumping up in the mountains! I have been to Tamarind Tree once and loved it! Thanks for the reminder to check it out again.

Laura December 28, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Yeah! Dave’s Killer Bread! We eat their spelt bread which is easier on gluten sensitive stomachs. The company has a great story. Welcome to the Pacific NW! The rains came back (we had a super dry Dec.) so you should have plenty of beautiful fresh snow.

(Sidenote: I think it’s hilarious you guys brought your iced coffee drinking ways to the Pacific NW. My best friend lives in Boston now and when I visited we couldn’t get over how everyone there drinks iced coffee all winter!)

Tina December 28, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Haha! My future brother-in-law thought we were crazy with our iced coffees this morning!

alex December 28, 2011 at 3:46 pm

glad you’re having fun in Seattle. sorry the weather isn’t better, but it sure is warm today!

Alaina December 28, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I think finding local coffee shops is the first thing on my itinerary when I visit a new city. :-)

sarah @ sarah learns December 28, 2011 at 3:49 pm

awww. i want to steal brody!

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness December 28, 2011 at 3:54 pm

I love local places!! I’m really tired of chain restaurants, local is what I look for now :)

Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife December 28, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Have FUN on the slopes!!

Jamie @ Don't Forget the Cinnamon December 28, 2011 at 4:23 pm

Wow that toast DOES look delicious!

Brandi @ Faith Fitness and Laughter December 28, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Looks like you guys are having a great time so far! I love my iced coffee’s to have a strong flavor. :)

Brittany December 28, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Enjoy Mt. Baker! It is amazing…hope you enjoy it!!

Angela B December 28, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Just say “no” to bread on drugs. Love it!

P.S. Brody is super cute! It is always nice when you are away from home and missing your dog to have another wet nose to love on.

Tina December 28, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Exactly! It’s been nice having Brody around since we’re missing Murph!

Lindsay December 28, 2011 at 7:13 pm

I’ve never been to Seattle, and am LOVING living it thru your blog, hope to get there someday! thinking of that iced coffee now…

Maria @ Beautiful Busy Bee December 28, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Wow! Your hotel room has a kitchen! Awesome. I’ve never had Vietnamese food but I love every single other kind of Asian food, so sounds good!

RunEatRepeat December 28, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Ah!!! I’ve wanted to try that bread forever!

Tina December 28, 2011 at 8:47 pm

It’s awesome! I’m going to order some online!

shortskirts December 29, 2011 at 1:47 am

So Daves bread is awesome! apparently he was a criminal, went to prison, and learned to bake, and now that he’s out he makes killer bread!

You hit up some of my favorite places in Seattle. I love Tamrind Tree, and Seattle’s coffee soooo good

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com December 29, 2011 at 2:12 am

I would definitely be cranky without at least a cuppa Joe to start my day — have fun! and a very Happy New Year to you, Mal and of course Murphy :D

Lexi @ A Spoonful of Sunshine December 29, 2011 at 3:42 am

That bread sounds wicked awesome. Is it specific to the area or sold in general grocery stores?

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 29, 2011 at 7:39 am

Haha I love the “Say no to bread on drugs”! :D And its stats sound awesome!

honeywhatscooking December 29, 2011 at 11:50 am

i’ll be re-reading this post when I visit Seattle. Thanks for the coffee tip and Vietnamese restaurant. :-)

Janine December 29, 2011 at 11:53 am

Have fun at Mt. Baker!! I LOVE Bellingham – and if you get a chance you should definitely go to Boundry Bay!!! Their Scotch Ale is my absolute favorite – even served it at our wedding :)

Janine

Roz@weightingfor50 December 29, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Enjoy your time in Seattle Tina. It’s one of my husband and my favorite places. As is Mt. Baker. (we’ve spent a New Year’s eve in a cabin there!) Happy North West Caffeining!!!

Eva March 25, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Definately try Mekong Village when you’re in Seattle! The place is amazing ><!